Any good Christian Nursery/Childcare in the West

JoyBliss

Hi Mummies,
My son going into 18 months and planning for childcare.
I'm also considering a christian-based one.

Does anyone have recommendation?

Phoebii Cheng

Hi joybliss,

You might want to consider PCS - Presbytarian Community Service CC, they hv one at ghim moh & holland, other areas in the west they also hv but not sure where, you might want to check out the website?

JoyBliss

Thank you Phoebii mummy,
Have visited their website. There is 1 at J.West :001_302:
I'm checking out whether this one cater up to K2? Really hope it does

Hi joybliss,

You might want to consider PCS - Presbytarian Community Service CC, they have one at ghim moh & holland, other areas in the west they also have but not sure where, you might want to check out the website?

diymummy

Hi Joybliss,

My son's attending Agape Little Uni. It's a franchise and have a few outlets over SG. It's not christian based (as in they don't teach bible stuff) but the founders are christians.

JoyBliss

Hi Joybliss,

My son's attending Agape Little Uni. It's a franchise and have a few outlets over SG. It's not christian based (as in they dont't teach bible stuff) but the founders are christians.
Thanks diymummy,
What are their activities like, e.g any flashcard, story telling etc for their toddler class?

diymummy

Hi joybliss,

Now he is in the infant class... They do arts and craft and mostly play toys. Sometimes they play music..

For playgroup class, I know they hire outside qualified people for gym class. Not too sure abt other activities...

JoyBliss

such interesting activities for the infants
I have missed their open house in Nov... think I check out their next open house.
Thanks again

Phoebii Cheng

Hi

Actually our first choice was to put my son in Agape Little Uni....but the one that we went at the NTU Alumni, we felt that the place is cramp wiht the infant classes way inside, and later we realise that the teachers there the age is pretty young, and the PG the eating area is near the door where the parents put their shoes (which I find it a bit unhygienic) though we really like the curriculum very much, plus they will do a profile of your child, like at each month what are the things they will be learning, and also they get to attend swimming classes there & gym....which I find it is fun.....

But I am not sure now....you might want to check it out

stonston

PCS is worth considering as a childcare. However, if you are looking for something very academic, I think it won't be so good. They adopt the 'learn through play' model and only introduce writing exercises at 4yo. I prefer starting them early to build up their fine motor skills, so I decided to withdraw my son from CC and put him in a more academic focused kindergarten (pre-nursery class).

Main reason is school is for learning, not playing. If you want to play, Daddy, Mummy, Grandma, Grandpa, etc can bring you to play.
I don't want my boy to have the impression that school is only for play and when he goes to P1, he finds it boring because it's classroom style.

We balance the academic focused school with alot of play time (at home and outdoors) and enrichments at involve alot of play (Tumble Tots).

littlehelper

I like the PCS infant care centers in Yishun very nice environment.Cosy too!
Never been to the one at Jurong but the others that i visited all quite nice teachers quite friendly too.
Yep, they do cater to k2.Many of the kids are christian i think.
Maybe can try YWCA/YMCA??Also kinda christian child cares.

JoyBliss

Hi

Actually our first choice was to put my son in Agape Little Uni....but the one that we went at the NTU Alumni, we felt that the place is cramp wiht the infant classes way inside, and later we realise that the teachers there the age is pretty young, and the PG the eating area is near the door where the parents put their shoes (which I find it a bit unhygienic) though we really like the curriculum very much, plus they will do a profile of your child, like at each month what are the things they will be learning, and also they get to attend swimming classes there & gym....which I find it is fun.....

But I am not sure now....you might want to check it out
Oh.... Thanks Phoebii for the sharing, I make very sure I check this out during my visit :tlaugh:

JoyBliss

PCS is worth considering as a childcare. However, if you are looking for something very academic, I think it won't be so good. They adopt the 'learn through play' model and only introduce writing exercises at 4yo. I prefer starting them early to build up their fine motor skills, so I decided to withdraw my son from CC and put him in a more academic focused kindergarten (pre-nursery class).

Main reason is school is for learning, not playing. If you want to play, Daddy, Mummy, Grandma, Grandpa, etc can bring you to play.
I dont't want my boy to have the impression that school is only for play and when he goes to P1, he finds it boring because it's classroom style.

We balance the academic focused school with alot of play time (at home and outdoors) and enrichments at involve alot of play (Tumble Tots).
Thanks Stonston,
I'm may be too ambitious here, I am trying to find 1 and sail through all the way until his P1. So hoping to find one that will prepare him adequately, yet same time not missing too much on the "fun" part. But to choose between the 2, I would rather focus on the academic more, since "fun" part is usually easier to compensate during the weekend.

I like both PCS for the christian-based, and fun part, and Little Agape Uni for their more academical-focus, but not knowing whether they can adequately prepare my son for P1.

Are there some guidelines to a good programme that adequately prepare the child for P1?

stonston

Most CCC are not academic based. If you want academic based, you need to consider kindergarten instead. Something that will ensure adequate prep for P1, difficult to find. I spent 1.5years looking for the perfect school. P1 syllabus has evolved alot in the past years and most preschools are still in the 'old' syllabus, unless the principal herself has kids in primary school.

JoyBliss

I like the PCS infant care centers in Yishun very nice environment.Cosy too!
Never been to the one at Jurong but the others that i visited all quite nice teachers quite friendly too.
Yep, they do cater to k2.Many of the kids are christian i think.
Maybe can try YWCA/YMCA??Also kinda christian child cares.

Thanks little helper. I have checked out the YWCA in Jurong. Yep, the teachers I saw were nice and friendly. The children look happy and chirpy! But they are already full on their playgroup (so on waiting list if I'm interested..) Playgroup is largely the normal daycare activities with music and reading.Teacher/Child ratio: 7:20+. And they recommended at 20mth instead of 18th month to enrol the kid. But my worry that YWCA starts phonics at abt 4yr old only...

Still hunting for alternatives... :001_302:

Last edited:

JoyBliss

Most CCC are not academic based. If you want academic based, you need to consider kindergarten instead. Something that will ensure adequate prep for P1, difficult to find. I spent 1.5years looking for the perfect school. P1 syllabus has evolved alot in the past years and most preschools are still in the 'old' syllabus, unless the principal herself has kids in primary school.

Thanks for the great advice. I was thinking it's usually hard to get into a good CCC with good programmes thereafter... hence I was actually trying to secure a place as early as possible for the N1 onwards.

But now, after weighing my options, I may jolly well research on kindergarten as well. Academics still remains the most challenging part to me. Do you mind recommending any kindergarten(s) in your opinion? Or maybe a draft of what is a "good" programme since the syllabus changes over the years?

Very sorry for the lengthy questions stonston

stonston

I don't know of many in the West side but I read from Tamarind (another forumner mummy) that her girl and boy go to PCF kindies at Jurong West and they are both quite good. One is a premium kindy that taught alot and another is a full day kindy.

You can check out her blog for more details. She posted their worksheets and work done too. Tamarind Village

camom

My child was in a ccc till she went to P1. It's very academic and prepared her very well for P1.