Apple turns brown after pureeing... how?

mandymtb

mummies, the apple turns brown aft i puree it... is this still okay to give baby or is there any way to stop the browning process??

annie

its normal for apples to oxidise after puree. its still safe to consume. to stop browning, use a drip of lemon juice(but lemon juice is acidic n you might not want to give it to babies) or cook the apples before pureeing it. you can boil or steam the apples with or without skin. its better to keep the skin but make sure you wash it carefully. you can steam or boil it. dont overboil though. for me, i usually boil it with just enough water to cover the apples and then boil it. after the water boil, i switch off the fire n cover it up. let it stays for a while n try to poke with a chopstick. once its soft its ready.

cmeilim

annie, my hubby tells me that the nutrients in apples are lost after i boil them. i did so yesterday. not sure if my hubby is right.... why should we keep the skin?

annie

of cos raw apples maintain the most nutrients but boiling wont cause total lost of nutrients. just make sure u dun over boil. same as all veg..cooking veg dosent destroy all nutrients as long as they are not overcook. also, sometimes cooking fruits of veg breaks down some enzymes thus easier for bb to digest them.

the skin contains alot of nutrients thus retaining it is better IF u wash thorougly as it also contains lots of pesticides..

CDL

If you don't want to cook fruit, try grating them instead, with a very fine grater. You retain some of the nutrition that would have been lost if cooked. Yes, fruit oxidises if not eaten quickly. A small amount of diluted lime juice or salted water will prevent the discolouration but there's really no need to be concerned about the change in colour - no nutrition is lost.

CanCanMum

mummies, the apple turns brown after i puree it... is this still okay to give baby or is there any way to stop the browning process??
dipping the sliced apples into salt water will help, actually i dun feed much apples coz of this reason, and i dun puree apples but i mash it up using back of a spoon/fork. U can get those more powdery apples (normally their skins bright red ones, u noe those apples not so crispy kind like fuji apples) coz its easier to mash up.

i googled online some pple mentioned putting some lemon juice over it helps to prevent it from browning, can give it a try coz its beta den salt water for babies.....

so far i fed baber banana coz its so easy to mash up, and strawberries. He hates strawberries but he loves bananas. But bananas cannot eat too often coz it causes phelgm.

other than tat, i gave tomatoes quite often. Deskin, scrape off the seeds and mesh up. Baber loves to eat.

snowbear

mummies, the apple turns brown after i puree it... is this still okay to give baby or is there any way to stop the browning process??
For raw apple puree, i don't puree in advance. I scrape using a metal teaspoon as she's eating. The apple will still turn brown but at least that slows down the process compared to pureeing in advance.

annie

i give my girl cherry tomatoes very often recently as well as she got this sudden love for macaroni bolognese n i use cherry tomatoes puree to make the sauce. i dun peel the skin and i dun seed it. i simply use the whole tomat(stem removed of cos) n blend it using a blender n then just sautee with her macaroni.. so 1 day she will take 4 cherry tomatoes (the macaroni's sauce)

she dun like apples also.. so i seldom buy apples. i only use apples if i make her some apple muffins, pancakes or milk shake..

Mummy to Baby V

My nurse taught me to steam the apples (same for bananas & pears) with skin too, about 20 min till soft.
Then remove the fruit from its skin to mash with fork.
Very easy for baby to eat and digest.
We buy only organic fruits/veges for baby and wash with veggie/fruit wash.
Organic pears are cheaper than organic apples, but only available certain times of the year.

Happy feeding! :)

Cheers,
Mummy to BabyV
Win a Modern Cloth Diaper worth $30 at Mummy's Reviews Giveaway

mandymtb

mummies... i tried steaming the apples and then pureeing them... but they still turn brown aft i pureed... wat went wrong??

annie

it shouldnt if u steamed them... are they really cooked n soft before u puree them? did it look brown cos the skin is puree together? even if so it should look reddish a bit n not brown as well... ive puree so many times n never brown after cooked..

stonston

1. Boiling does allow nutrients to leech into the water and there'll be lesser nutrients in the apple.
2. Steaming the apple retains more nutrients.
3. Browning of apples is perfectly fine. It just looks disgusting but it is still edible. Enzymatic browning breaks down certain substances in apples and allows easier digestion for babies.
4. Different type of apples require different cooking times. Some take longer to cook while some will still turn brown after cooking. Gala apple tend to turn brown very quickly compared to Fuji apple.

camom

If you dont't want to cook fruit, try grating them instead, with a very fine grater. You retain some of the nutrition that would have been lost if cooked. Yes, fruit oxidises if not eaten quickly. A small amount of diluted lime juice or salted water will prevent the discolouration but there's really no need to be concerned about the change in colour - no nutrition is lost.
Don't use salt water to prevent oxidisation. It doesn't help. Lemon works better. I was watching a tv programme on food the other day and they talked abt fruits. Apparently, u can use salt to gently rub on the skin of the apple. It'll remove the wax coating.