Barley Water

Astar

anyone feeding their babies with Barley water just for "maintenance" or "cooling" purpose?

My boy is 5 months... just wondering can i feed him ocassionally with unsweeten barley water?

Cos he developed a fever recently, so, that sets me thinking if he can drink barley to cool down.

Thanks! :001_302:

Ting

yeah my mum asked me to give pin at least once weekly when she was younger.. but i was lazy to cook..sometimes 2 weeks once.
:)

Phoebii Cheng

Yes
I give barley water to my son when he was younger.....but not sweetened

He don't really like to drink it alone, so what I do is add it to his milk

autumn82

I give Iggy only when I find that his breath smells bad, prob too heaty or indigestion (like these 2 weeks, alternate days). He doesn't like to drink it alone, so I just use the barley water as "water" when making milk for him.

When the barley cooled, I will reheat in microwave to the right temp for milk so I don't have to add hot water to mix. :001_302:

autumn82

by the way, what kind of barley we can buy? how do you cook? can share with me?
thanks
I ever asked the person from those medical halls. They told me that drinking China barley (bigger and rounder) won't get those phlegm but the other kind, the normal barley will get phlegm if drink too often.

Personally, I tried both types and I prefer the normal barley coz the smell is not that strong. The China barley smells rather... digusting to me. :001_302:

U will have to wash the barley like how you wash rice and then fill the pot with water, boil and cover. When water boils, wait for 5-10mins then off the fire. Should be done by then. I will sieve the water so that there won't be residue in the barley water.

Hope it helps.

diymummy

Hi Autumn mummy,

Can you share how much barley to how much water and boil how long? And how do you store the cooked barley water? And can store how long?

I also notice that he has bad breath and he has already had cough and fever twice. Maybe he really too heaty.

Thanks!!! :)

apollo

Hi Autumn mummy,

Can you share how much barley to how much water and boil how long? And how do you store the cooked barley water? And can store how long?

I also notice that he has bad breath and he has already had cough and fever twice. Maybe he really too heaty.

usually when i boil barley water, i agaragar... half pkt of barley to 1 pot of water... hehehehe..

btw mummies, ds is going for his injection soon, can give him barley water also?? when to give? b4 or aft injection?? and hw much to give him??

cos he dont drink all at once. if i feed him thru his training cup, the barley can put inside the cup for hw long? cos i realise sometimes the barley left aside for too long will become smelly...

autumn82

Hi Autumn mummy,

I use roughly 1/2 rice cup of barley to almost 1/2 pot (those big soup pots) of water. Boil roughly 10 mins - 15mins then I off fire and let it sit for awhile more b4 I use it. That amount to almost 800ml of barley water coz I used all for Iggy's milk.

I just sieve it and store in tupperware. When I need it and it's cool, I will pour what I need in a glass and reheat in microwave to the suitable temp for milk drinking. :001_302:

Ting

i used to give pin the china barley til she went to CC n i think they use the normal barley. but at home we use china barley.
normally i also agar agar the amt.
if after boiling it is still very "thick" i will dilute with water b4 i feed her. someties will use it to make her milk.
for me, i usually cook a small portion cos im not comfy leaving it "out" too long..
normally give pin abt 100-150 ml each time i cook.
the rest i will add winter melon strips n drink for myself.

regina, u give the barley water to bring down his temp huh??
i think b4 n after is also fine.
for me, my mum taught me is to 炖 the pao shen for pin.
i will use 2-3 slices n put in hot water n double boil (should be call 炖 right?) it then give pin drink a few small sips. my mum say it is to bring down her temp b4 the jab. n i give it to her the night b4 her jab.

CanCanMum

besides barley water u can oso let baby drink Ling Yang water one day before baby goes for jab (those tat will cause fever dee, was it Hep B 2nd dose? i cannot rem ) so tat it helps to keep them fever free or at least if really kenna fever will not be so high~~:tlaugh:

so far it works for Baber during his baby times.

Ling Yang water cannot drink too often coz will cause them to be too Liang~~For info....:001_302:

apollo

i used to give pin the china barley til she went to CC n i think they use the normal barley. but at home we use china barley.
normally i also agar agar the amt.
if after boiling it is still very "thick" i will dilute with water before i feed her. someties will use it to make her milk.
for me, i usually cook a small portion cos im not comfy leaving it "out" too long..
normally give pin about 100-150 ml each time i cook.
the rest i will add winter melon strips n drink for myself.

regina, you give the barley water to bring down his temp huh??
i think before n after is also fine.
for me, my mum taught me is to 炖 the pao shen for pin.
i will use 2-3 slices n put in hot water n double boil (should be call 炖 right?) it then give pin drink a few small sips. my mum say it is to bring down her temp before the jab. n i give it to her the night before her jab.
but pao shen got a smell right?? can barley do the job instead? if give advance, how many days b4?

my pd told me to gif ds the fever medi right aft injection cos during his 1st 5in1, the injection not only bring his fever up for 3days, and also cough... so if i gif him medi, still can gif barley? is barley consider chinese medi??

Ting

hmm, i add quite a bit of water n only a few pcs so the smell not so strong.
n i only use teaspoons to give pin a few sips so she is ok with it.
so far she doesnt hv any fever for all her jabs ( come to a point that i stop taking fever med from doctor cos waste money)
i think barley shld be ok too,maybe 2-3 days b4 the jab u give him some? im not sure cos i nvr give her barley b4 her jab.
if give medi, i think it is fine to give barley, i dun think barley is considered medicine. it is a kind of cereal grain.

HTHs. :)

apollo

hmm, i add quite a bit of water n only a few pcs so the smell not so strong.
n i only use teaspoons to give pin a few sips so she is ok with it.
so far she doesnt have any fever for all her jabs ( come to a point that i stop taking fever med from doctor cos waste money)
i think barley shld be ok too,maybe 2-3 days before the jab you give him some? im not sure cos i never give her barley before her jab.
if give medi, i think it is fine to give barley, i dont think barley is considered medicine. it is a kind of cereal grain.

HTHs. :)
'THKS!!! haha... this time i will take the medi, cos running out liaoo, anw the price is included alrdy haha... then i think will try giving him on wed or thurs.. :001_302:

Venetia

Hi Mummies,

Pls advise if I were to give purely barley water to bb, how much can we give? And how many time(s) per week can we give?