Breast Pumps to recommend?

Hang

Hi Mummies,

At my 23rd week of pregnancy and thinking about which breast pumps to buy and when to buy. Can anyone enlighten me?

1. I hope to continue pumping after maternity. Should get electric pump right?

2. Avent, Medela or Ameda?
came across these few brand names, not sure which to buy...

3. Buy in Singapore or direct from overseas?
- Saw Ameda Purely Yours @$150 US on the net www.breastpumpsdirect.com has anyone bought from this site before?

Would really appreciate some advice for a lost MTB. :1err:

lisa_ng

personally tot ameda is gd.
have ac powered and battery option.
and the price is reasonable. :001_302:

Hang

Hi Lisa,

Where did you get yours? Over the net or purchase in Singapore? I am quite keen on Ameda. =)

Hang

akachan09

Hi Lisa,

Where did you get yours? Over the net or purchase in Singapore? I am quite keen on Ameda. =)

Hang
Hi Hang,

I just got my Ameda pump from Taka baby fair recently but the fair was already over on 29 Mar. You may want to try to call Infantree. I got from them at the fair and they said they are the distributor. Alternatively, you can buy it from Robinson centrepoint or Mumsfairy website.

Phoebii Cheng

Hi my breast pump is medela swing.....it's pretty good and the pump head is soft, can be electric or battery when u r at work and there is no plugs.

So far, it helps with the letdown too.....

snowbear

Yes, please do. My friend used the manual one. Pump until hand got blister. :)

I'm using Medela.

- Saw Ameda Purely Yours @$150 US on the net www.breastpumpsdirect.com has anyone bought from this site before?
Never bought from the site b4.

Hang

Thanks for all the advice.. hmm... I have decided to get electric pump...=) just undecided on the brand..

Akachan09, how much did you pay for ameda?
Perhaps I can wait till june for the mother and baby fair. hope to get deals there.

snowy28

hihi now i am in my 13 weeks of pregnancy
is it too early for me to buy breast pumps without knowing whether is there sufficient milk in my breast for pumping?
is it a waste of moni to buy now?

stonston

The best is to buy after u hv delivered. you can try the hospital's one or rent/borrow one to try. try out the different brands/models before u decide.

i did tt n nvr regretted doing so cos i bought a very good pump tt's suitable for me plus i use it for 12mths, and continue to lend my frens to use! worthy investment!

karoru

stonston mummy, i also intend to breastfeed for 12 mths but afraid not enough milk... any tips or advises to share? thanks

stonston

karoru, firstly, u must start with good nutrition DURING pregnancy :)
and it's good to start reading up abt bf, types of problems and such. and get ready a list of 'help line' should u encounter problems. good to hv lactation consultant's tel no on hand or a fren who is experienced with bf :)

during ur confinement, must drink loads of water! honestly, i onli drank 1/3 cup of red date tea throughout my whole confinement. makes me more thirsty and frustrated so i drank warm water during confinement. i drank alot of water, every 1/2 hour i force myself to drink water. and every meal i eat fish. fried fish, baked fish, steam fish, fish soup, etc etc!

and u must be prepared to pump n pump n pump like a cow. my boy din noe how to latch at first, so i pump every 1-2hours to keep the flow coming. at first v discouraged cos both breasts add together, onli 20-30ml. then my hb keep telling me it's ok, jus give wotever i have. and my mum say keep pumping, maybe will hv more. so i pump n pump n pump while watching tv, while playing laptop, while playing with baby :) like cow like tt :)

and my mum claims tt it's bcos she always cook frog legs stewed in chicken essence tt's y i am so strong and not tired easily. i ate tt thru' out pregnancy and during confinement (if no C section, after 14days can eat this). during confinement my mum will add a bit of martell in it :)

and u must hv someone to help u with baby. i din hv confinement lady, only hv a maid. my parents go to work in the day, onli help me at night. so day time routine is pump, try to latch, play w baby, nap. things like change diaper, bottle feed baby EBM cos he dunno how to latch to get enough milk, etc is done by the maid. and i learn to take POWER NAPS. make full use of every nap. once i close my eyes, i'm sleeping already. this is something i was able to do since sec sch, cos come home fm school, damn tired then will take power nap before i do my homework/studying.

there will be problems along the way but u must always tell urself, giving abit of breastmilk for as long as possible is better than not giving anything at all :)
even if ur supply is not alot, dunnid to get upset cos once u r stressed n upset, ur supply will drop even more :)

sharonyi66

karoru, firstly, you must start with good nutrition DURING pregnancy :)
and it's good to start reading up about bf, types of problems and such. and get ready a list of 'help line' should you encounter problems. good to have lactation consultant's tel no on hand or a friend who is experienced with bf :)

during your confinement, must drink loads of water! honestly, i onli drank 1/3 cup of red date tea throughout my whole confinement. makes me more thirsty and frustrated so i drank warm water during confinement. i drank alot of water, every 1/2 hour i force myself to drink water. and every meal i eat fish. fried fish, baked fish, steam fish, fish soup, etc etc!

and you must be prepared to pump and pump and pump like a cow. my boy did not know how to latch at first, so i pump every 1-2hours to keep the flow coming. at first very discouraged cos both breasts add together, onli 20-30ml. then my husband keep telling me it's ok, just give wotever i have. and my mum say keep pumping, maybe will have more. so i pump and pump and pump while watching tv, while playing laptop, while playing with baby :) like cow like that :)

and my mum claims that it's bcos she always cook frog legs stewed in chicken essence that's why i am so strong and not tired easily. i ate that thru' out pregnancy and during confinement (if no C section, after 14days can eat this). during confinement my mum will add a bit of martell in it :)

and you must have someone to help you with baby. i did not have confinement lady, only have a maid. my parents go to work in the day, onli help me at night. so day time routine is pump, try to latch, play w baby, nap. things like change diaper, bottle feed baby EBM cos he dont know how to latch to get enough milk, etc is done by the maid. and i learn to take POWER NAPS. make full use of every nap. once i close my eyes, i'm sleeping already. this is something i was able to do since sec sch, cos come home fm school, damn tired then will take power nap before i do my homework/studying.

there will be problems along the way but you must always tell yourself, giving abit of breastmilk for as long as possible is better than not giving anything at all :)
even if your supply is not alot, dunnid to get upset cos once you are stressed and upset, your supply will drop even more :)
I found your post is very supportive and encouraging. :weyes:

When im doing my confinement back in 2005, my baby too doesnt know how to latch on so i gotto pump out frequently but no matter how often i pumped, it still very little and im getting more stress and sad (even cry whenever i heard remarks like: 'iyo, y so little milk?' ) coz it's like im in the fault coz baby cant receive wat is best for her.

Till my gf told me that i need to eat well, rest more and stress free during confinement inorder to get enuff milk but it was too late coz i gave up BF shortly after baby's full month.

So, this time during my 2nd confinement, i make sure i eat well, rest more and stress free and hope to BF as long as possible and not forgetting that even with little breast milk, im still giving the best tat i can for baby.

blubberish

Hi Mummies,

But I heard that using the electric pumps is more painful than the manual one. Is it correct?
Not necessarily. With manual pump, you can control how much pressure and how fast or slow you want to pump. With some of the electric pumps, you can do that as well. I was using the Medela Pump In Style earlier and as it didn't have the speed option, I just set the pressure to the minimum. Then now I managed to get a Medela Freestyle, which I highly recommend coz it's really effective! I managed to get the normal amount I used to pump out in half the time! So amazing! :Dancing_tongue:

stonston

I used Avent Duo, u can set the speed an pressure jus like how u would with a manual pump, then once it catches ur rhythm, can set it to auto :)

Hi Mummies,

At my 23rd week of pregnancy and thinking about which breast pumps to buy and when to buy. Can anyone enlighten me?

- Saw Ameda Purely Yours @$150 US on the net www.breastpumpsdirect.com has anyone bought from this site before
Would really appreciate some advice for a lost MTB. :1err:
for me personally i prefer Medela electric pump the suction power quite strong can express quite a lot of milk :)

mummypooh

for me personally i prefer Medela electric pump the suction power quite strong can express quite a lot of milk :)
Hi mummies,

Im looking at the Medela website, its have a large range of different electric pumps; i.e. Medela Free style, Mini electric & etc. How do i noe which is better in terms of its functionality & practicalilty?

shulyn

during your confinement, must drink loads of water! honestly, i onli drank 1/3 cup of red date tea throughout my whole confinement. makes me more thirsty and frustrated so i drank warm water during confinement. i drank alot of water, every 1/2 hour i force myself to drink water. and every meal i eat fish. fried fish, baked fish, steam fish, fish soup, etc etc!

> StonSton, heard drink lots of water will have tummy? How fast you slim down on your tummy area?

and you must be prepared to pump and pump and pump like a cow. my boy did not know how to latch at first, so i pump every 1-2hours to keep the flow coming. at first very discouraged cos both breasts add together, onli 20-30ml. then my husband keep telling me it's ok, just give wotever i have. and my mum say keep pumping, maybe will have more. so i pump and pump and pump while watching tv, while playing laptop, while playing with baby :) like cow like that :)

> StonSton, May i know does yr milk gradually increase to feed your baby? Any formula top up? For mine, i stop breastfeeding at 4 mths cos really not much milk. First few days i try very hard to pump and can only manage to get 20ml, slowly increase to 70ml..During my confinment days, i got confinment nanny, eats lots of fish, fish soup etc, even consume medicine to increase my milk but the most i can pump out is 160ml (3 hours after feeding my baby)...My hubby is very supportive towards breastfeeding, he has been there to encourage me and im so persistent until milk flow is lesser...Will keep trying during my 2nd pregnancy...

babylegs

Hi mummies,

Im looking at the Medela website, its have a large range of different electric pumps; i.e. Medela Free style, Mini electric & etc. How do i know which is better in terms of its functionality & practicalilty?
Hi Mummypooh,

It really depends on your needs. if you only need to pump from time to time and not regularly, then a manual pump would suffice. Medela actually has a section: Which Breast Pump is Right For You? - Medela to help you with the selection.

BUT if you need to pump regularly and need the breast pumps to increase your milk supply, then you need the 2phase breastpumps. (stimulation followed by letdown, normal pumps do not the the stimulation phase)

there are many technical aspects to a breastpump and i do not want to bore you but one good website to read reviews on different breastpumps is amazon.com.

Hope this infor helps.