bringing baby overseas?

yeah.. good for u! at least u hav a supportive hubby, unlike mine.. he's the one making me worried bout my son. as if im torturing my son by taking him on the plane at such age. but from what i read in this forum, flying on the plane is so common for babies.. even with budget airlines no problem..

I bring my son from Sg to USA when he was 5mths old. At that time he was ok. Probably because he is still young at that time. But lately, we bring him across the state from East side to the west side (about 5-6 hrs) flight. The way we handle him:

1. we choose flight a very early flight. so he has to wake up very early.
2. then feed him and allow him to run ard in the airport.
3. so that by the time he board the flight... he will be exhaust and fall alsepp in our arm even before the flight take off.
4. however he sleeps only about 2 hours and wake up.
5. for the rest of the time on the flight.... got him apple juice to drink. Muffin to eat. then entertain him with the magazine on the flight.
6. During the transit... I did the same... let him eat and run ard.
7. On the second flight.... he also fall asleep shortly after we board the flight. And juice and muffin and magazine when he wakes up.

Hope that this help

STmummy

Hi hi,

We took our baby to Phuket when he was 8 month old. Took Silkair, and requested for Bassinet. Throughout the flight we played and entertained him with toys, books, and he made friends with other passengers. =)

I was still TBF my baby then, brought 2 bottles of EBM up to feed him during take off & landing, so that he can continuously swallow saliva to prevent the pain caused by the air pressure. For our trip back, while landing, I fed him some cereal.

For the food in Phuket, he was already on semi-solid, I brought along a freezing pack with his frozen pureed food. Asked the hotel to keep the food for us in the freezer. Will request for it once a day and heat up using the food warmer. Can also easily buy bananas, avocado, papaya from the supermarket. Milk - direct feed.

Just last month (11 months old), we went to Genting, took airasia to KL and direct coach transfer . This time round, I latched him direct for take off & landing. Fed him baby biscuits and some bread as well. Brought all these onto the plane. Didnt bring any EBM or pump.

As for the food, cos he was almost 1 year old, we just let him have the same food as us but in his portion and washed off the salt with hot water. He had porridge, some dim sum, soupy noodle & horfan etc. Still no seafood though.

For both trips we brought our stroller as well as baby sling. You just bring your stroller up to the plane and have to leave it at the doorstep of the plane. Stroller was in good shape for both flights, but for airasia, our luggage was spoilt instead. Thankfully we can claim from our insurance. So it's very important to get a good insurance coverage as you never know when you need it esp travelling with baby/toddler.

We are going to Europe in March - April, and the flight for this will be 7 hours to Dubai, transit and then another 7 hours to London. I guess my son should be well-trained after 2 trips with us. So looking forward to this Europe trip. Yes, we are still bringing stroller and sling along.

You can always call up the airline and ask them anything you are not sure of. Have fun in BKK! =)

Last edited:

apollo

thks for the replies mummies..

i wonder if anyone here let ur baby take flu vaccine b4 flying?? my pd suggested tt we shd let ds take flu vaccine b4 we leave for bkk..

jasobias

hey regina,just give baby normal flu jab.No need give only when travelling..shld give every yr. Made a big diff to my boys leh..they started at 6 months old..if baby does get flu effects r less severe .

STmummy

thks for the replies mummies..

i wonder if anyone here let your baby take flu vaccine before flying?? my pediatrician suggested that we should let dear son take flu vaccine before we leave for bkk..

oh yes, my PD too. My son is going for his 2nd flu jab next week.

hueychye79

hi

do any mummies experience difficult babies eg. grumpy and crying baby during the flight? cos i intend to bring my 8 months boy back to indonesia. i'll be flying from sg-kl-makassar. Im so afraid that i cant handle my boy when we're on the plane. pls share any tips!!! my son is super grumpy boy....
Chillaxvilla mummies, I just travel from KL back to Singapore yesterday with my 4 months old baby.

When depart my boy still ok but when arrive to Singapore he start to crying and become very cranky.

Today he is super tired and cranky whole day, not sure is it because of travel. :embarrassed:

Any mummies encounter same problem? Did baby after travel will become very tired in the bext day?

missblue mummy,

i wonder izzit possible for us to bring our own hot water in thermal flask up to the plane for making the milk??

anw, thks so much for your reply. it helps me alot =)
Regina mummies, just show your baby to the custom official and you will allow to bring the baby food and EBM to plane.

Hi hi,

We took our baby to Phuket when he was 8 month old. Took Silkair, and requested for Bassinet. Throughout the flight we played and entertained him with toys, books, and he made friends with other passengers. =)

I was still TBF my baby then, brought 2 bottles of EBM up to feed him during take off & landing, so that he can continuously swallow saliva to prevent the pain caused by the air pressure. For our trip back, while landing, I fed him some cereal.

For the food in Phuket, he was already on semi-solid, I brought along a freezing pack with his frozen pureed food. Asked the hotel to keep the food for us in the freezer. Will request for it once a day and heat up using the food warmer. Can also easily buy bananas, avocado, papaya from the supermarket. Milk - direct feed.

Just last month (11 months old), we went to Genting, took airasia to KL and direct coach transfer . This time round, I latched him direct for take off & landing. Fed him baby biscuits and some bread as well. Brought all these onto the plane. Didnt bring any EBM or pump.

As for the food, cos he was almost 1 year old, we just let him have the same food as us but in his portion and washed off the salt with hot water. He had porridge, some dim sum, soupy noodle & horfan etc. Still no seafood though.

For both trips we brought our stroller as well as baby sling. You just bring your stroller up to the plane and have to leave it at the doorstep of the plane. Stroller was in good shape for both flights, but for airasia, our luggage was spoilt instead. Thankfully we can claim from our insurance. So it's very important to get a good insurance coverage as you never know when you need it esp travelling with baby/toddler.

We are going to Europe in March - April, and the flight for this will be 7 hours to Dubai, transit and then another 7 hours to London. I guess my son should be well-trained after 2 trips with us. So looking forward to this Europe trip. Yes, we are still bringing stroller and sling along.

You can always call up the airline and ask them anything you are not sure of. Have fun in BKK! =)
Did your baby will become very tired after every travel?

Goldiemum

Hi Mummies,

Anyone who brought their babies overseas and engaged hotel nanny to look after your baby while you go for your massages etc?

Do you all feel safe leaving in their hands?

apollo

Hi Mummies,

Anyone who brought their babies overseas and engaged hotel nanny to look after your baby while you go for your massages etc?

Do you all feel safe leaving in their hands?
hotel nanny?? got such services ahh?? personally, i dun trust anyone other den myself, hubby n my family to take care of ds. somemore, u're be OVERSEAS, not SG, u dunno what will happen. u going with ur hubby n baby only or with more ppl? if going with more ppl, den maybe ur can take turn. we're going to bkk on may with 2 frens, my frens suggested we take turn for massage, she n her bf help us take care ds while me n hubby go for massage. usually i'm okay with this idea but becos we will be at bkk, not SG, so i told them one of us (hubby n me) MUST be with ds.. =)

STmummy

hueychye79: sorry for the delay in replying. Just read this thread. oppss... I didnt really notice that my son was extra tired after each trip. maybe the main reason was that we still let him have his 3 hours nap while overseas. Think I was the one who was more tired when we came back. haha! But for the Europe trip I doubt my son will have his 3 hour nap. Travel till so far... must go sight-see, must go shopping! muahaha! :Dancing_tongue:

Goldiemum: for our phuket trip, we did considered engaging hotel nanny. Called the hotel beforehand to check if we can hire the nanny out for the whole day, cos we were thinking of possibly going for diving. But in the end we didnt go for it, cos my hubby scared me. said what if the nanny somehow needs money urgently that moment. Will she steal our things? or worst still, steal our son?? Of cos in the end no diving, and we took turns to go for massage. Up to you of cos, but still gotta be extra careful exp overseas and furthemore, baby still cant talk, thus cant express any unhappiness or thoughts to us if they do encounter from the 3rd party.

cmeilim

Yeah, she sat on my lap but we were lucky that the flight was not full on the way there and back so we had an empty seat next to us (Air Asia seats are rows of three per aisle). So when it was time for her to sleep, we just put her on the empty seat to nap and I put up my legs as a barrier. Am thinking of getting a seat for her next time if it's zero fare coz infants pay $50 no matter the cost of the adult seat. =.=

hi regina

we took ian to penang by airasia in end jan when he was 8 months old. also paid $50 for him, no seat by right but flight was not full when we boarded and we asked the air stewardess if we could swop seats to a row of three empty seats so that ian could sit in his own seat. no issue. ian was happy to play with his seat belt (we belted him in except during take-off and landing when I would nurse him), and bang on the in-flight magazine on his own tray.

just a note that the infant fee of $50 is nett, incl of service charge, taxes etc.

apollo

hi regina

we took ian to penang by airasia in end jan when he was 8 months old. also paid $50 for him, no seat by right but flight was not full when we boarded and we asked the air stewardess if we could swop seats to a row of three empty seats so that ian could sit in his own seat. no issue. ian was happy to play with his seat belt (we belted him in except during take-off and landing when I would nurse him), and bang on the in-flight magazine on his own tray.

just a note that the infant fee of $50 is nett, incl of service charge, taxes etc.
thks babe!

actu we've booked the air tix alrdy. going there by airasia, back by jetstar.

ds dun take pacifier, so hw am i going to deal with the pressure during take off n landing?

cmeilim

are u still nursing your boy? if so, can just latch him on. otherwise, let him drink water or milk in his milk bottle, so that he's sucking something.

apollo

are you still nursing your boy? if so, can just latch him on. otherwise, let him drink water or milk in his milk bottle, so that he's sucking something.
thks but i've stop bf-ing ds alrdy =( mayb will let him drink some water during that period. thks babe =)

apollo

hello, i'm here to re-open this thread! haha!

i wonder what water u mummies feed ur baby overseas? can i BOIL bottled distilled water and let ds drink? actu my pd said no pro for ds to take mineral water but i just dun feel comfortable on it.. we even tot of bringing SG tap water over and boil it in the hotel =P

Ting

dearie, if it is distilled water, its diff from mineral water worr.
shld be ok to drink from btl.
i usually drink distilled water myself, rather than mineral water.

thepinkdot

don't bring our tap water.. coz not allowed on planes and cannot check in.. what if leak!?!?!

try to find distilled water... its better than mineral water. if cannot, just stick to bottled mineral water.. yes, u still can always boil it.. but it won't matter.

apollo

dont't bring our tap water.. coz not allowed on planes and cannot check in.. what if leak!?!?!

try to find distilled water... its better than mineral water. if cannot, just stick to bottled mineral water.. yes, you still can always boil it.. but it won't matter.
cannot mehh? tt time i check in 3 1.5litres mineral water lehhh.. haha!!! hmmm lik tt den mayb i just go over buy distilled water and boil bahhh...

Hi hi experienced mummies!

I'd bring my then 16 months old son to Indo in Sep. He cant even sit still for a min. He would struggled down to walk whenever we sat him on our lap in public. how can I manage him on the plane?? I cancelled my previous trip because of this. and this time will be his first time on the plane. He would be curious... wanna grab this and that. If we dont give way, he would whine and cry.omg... I was thinking to bring portable dvd, some snacks, and books. but I doubt they can entertain him for long... haiz

The flight will be around 3 hours long.. how do guys spend the time with the active toddler??

help help:err:

apollo

Hi hi experienced mummies!

I'd bring my then 16 months old son to Indo in Sep. He cant even sit still for a min. He would struggled down to walk whenever we sat him on our lap in public. how can I manage him on the plane?? I cancelled my previous trip because of this. and this time will be his first time on the plane. He would be curious... wanna grab this and that. If we dont give way, he would whine and cry.omg... I was thinking to bring portable dvd, some snacks, and books. but I doubt they can entertain him for long... sigh

The flight will be around 3 hours long.. how do guys spend the time with the active toddler??

help help:err:
ds also cant sit still. previously we changed the trip to KL instead of bkk.

the trip to KL is ard 40 mins? and ds cried during depart and landing. cried very badly. we assumed that it was the air pressure and discomfort him. but during the time when he didnt cry, we stuff him with biscuits, brochures/menu (from the plane), and his toys.. and he kept stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down, if not CRY..

i think handling a active baby is easier than a crying baby. rmb to feed ur boy water on anf off. dun wait until he cry. cos once he cry, i dun think he has the 'mood' to drink water.. keep him occupied with biscuits and toys. if can, sit near the window and show him the 'scenary' =)