bringing baby overseas?

babyJuan

Bringing my baby girl to Perth end of July. By the time, she is 15 months. Noticed that during that time will be winter season in Perth. Can any mummies advice what i need to prepare for my baby girl? This is my first time to perth. Not very sure how the temperature. Do i need to let my girl wear winter jacket?
I'm bringing my son to Perth in June too! By then he'll be 15months old. Doing my research on how to survive w a baby on the trip. Haha. Which part of Perth are u gg? Can share?

Qookie

I started reading this thread because i'm thinking of visiting my sister in Sydney some time this year or early next year. When i read about babies pulling passenger's hair, standing up, not wanting to sit down, banging tray tables, etc. it makes me smile. My 8 month old girl is exactly like that! Haha. She's really active and i'm terrified to take a plane alone with her, especially because i have bad motion sickness.

Just want to share: A friend took her 4 month old on an 8 hour flight. During takeoff, he pooped so much that it came up all the way to his neck! And he went on a milk and nap strike throughout the whole journey!

After hearing that, i got so freaked out. And mind you, this friend's baby is the guai guai sort.

I think it's better if moms travel with your husbands or someone who can lend you a helping hand. You never know when you'll need it ;)

bijinoo

I'm bringing my son to Perth in June too! By then he'll be 15months old. Doing my research on how to survive w a baby on the trip. Haha. Which part of Perth are you gg? Can share?
Planning not go far from perth city and might visit rottnest island, if ferry still running. Bcoz heard that during winter might no ferry service. Doing research too. :)

zc31

it's not that bad. Just need to keep them occupied and distracted. One thing for sure we won't be able to enjoy our inflight entertainment as compared to the past but it's all worth it.

Snowgal

I brought my boy to BKK when he was 6 weeks old... fabulous traveller... We continued our traveling to BKK again, Melbourne, Shanghai, Taiwan, Phuket till he is now 17 months.

What I am really afraid of is this trip that we are taking him to Europe in Winter next month... The longest flight that he is to take... and he is so active... The last trip to Taiwan, hubby and I were taking turns walking around the plane with him as he refused to sit... Only during turbulence, we were forced to carry him, he will scream to be let down...So honestly, I am pretty worried about the flight......

As for the weather, my boy has been to Shanghai during winter and he seems okay so i guess I will adopt the dressing him in 3 layers concept..... as done in Shanghai..... Any tips for long flights for really active running toddler?
Hi hapimint, u r cool manz.. u hv brought yr bb to so many places alr.
does the plane air pressure affect the bb ears when taking off n landing? would like to check if bkk is a baby friendly place? is there any nursing rm in the malls? do u walk in the streets w bb when u were there (cos the air pollution is quite bad there right)? how do u sterilize the milk bottles?
i so long for a hol in bkk, n yet to fulfill..

diza

To reduce ear pressure, latch ur baby or give him milk. As long as ur baby is sucking something, it will reduce ear pressure. For my boy, he slept throughout the flight coz I chose to fly ard his napping time.

BKK is not baby friendly. They don't have lifts at the BTS stations. If you are using a stroller, might be difficult to handle coz the pavements are not smooth either unless you plan to shop ard Siam area. So I used baby carrier instead. It was so damn hard to find a nursing room. I even had to change my son's diaper outside Central World when I went there to shop. And I had to BF my son in public. I didn't bring EBM coz too troublesome to bring lots of things. I just used a nursing cover and carried him while shopping. The trip to BKK made me very confident to BF my son in public now.. Even in KL, I don't bother looking for a nursing room. Just put on my nursing cover and feed! You may want to buy those nursing poncho instead of the usual nursing cover for full coverage.

I bought a container with lid (Samla brand frm IKEA) to sterilize the bottles and pump parts. I bought a 5-L water (try to get either distilled or drinking type and not the mineral type) and brought my own travel flask. Boiled the water and pour it into the container. Once the water is cooled, I removed the water. Alternatively, you can use those sterilizing tablets but they have funny smell. Or you can use pigeon travel steriliser which can fit 2 bottles.

When I went there, my mode of transportation were mainly BTS and taxi. Wanted to take a tuk2 but didn't coz of the smoke from other vehicles. So it's wiser to choose a hotel near BTS.

Qookie

Did anyone take Scoot with baby before?

After booking our Scoot air tickets, my husband read the T&C that said we need to CHECK IN our stroller. How to carry my 18month old all around the airport at 1am in the morning?!

And will hot water be allowed to go through the customs? Otherwise we'll have to BUY hot water for baby's milk...

Sigh...

diza

I've taken scoot before but we didn't bring a stroller.. There's strollers at the airport that you can use for free but it's limited. First come first serve.. From my understanding, you do not need to check-in your stroller at the counter. You can give your stroller to the staff before you enter the plane and when you reach ur destination, just wait for the staff to give it back to u at the exit. Since you have a baby travelling with you, they will allow you to bring hot water but not in large volume. Just bring enough for your baby's consumption. Alternatively, you can ask cabin crew for hot water. I'm sure they won't charge for it. Just be nice to them. :)

yup, fr what I know also, no need to check in stroller. you give them the stroller before you board the plane n take it back after you exit the plane. I did not bring hot water with me as I took hot water from the air crew. I gave them the milk bottle and told them to pour the desired qty. I took SIA tho. Twice, I managed to bring 500ml of water in water bottle for my son. Usu they are quite ok if you have a child with you. Or if really cannot take stroller, how about using a carrier?your child can even zzz in it. just that you have to remove him from the carrier and out the infant seatbelt for him. The other time, my boy zzz in the carrier but they did not allow me to carry him in the carrier upon landing and insisted that I put the seatbelt for him So he got cranky and cried for a good 15 min as he was woken up.

colourmerainbow

hi i am bringing my 14 months old daughter to bkk. may i ask is the water there clean for baby consumption after boiling? or should i bring along my own water supply?

how about the food? what do you feed your baby over there?

diza

Whenever I travel, I'll always buy a 5-litre distilled or drinking water. Don't give babies mineral water and I don't trust overseas tap water coz our babies' tummies might not be used to to the minerals found in tap water. So just go to the nearest 7-11 and buy either distilled or drinking water. It would be better if you can bring ur own travel kettle to boil the water.. Some kettles in hotels are dirty.

For food, I usually give what I eat to my baby. Otherwise, you can buy those electronic lunchbox and prepare ur own food. The lunchbox is lightweight and suitable for travel. Try to goggle for electronic lunchbox on YouTube. Many videos showing how to cook food using the lunchbox.

colourmerainbow

Whenever I travel, I'll always buy a 5-litre distilled or drinking water. Don't give babies mineral water and I don't trust overseas tap water coz our babies' tummies might not be used to to the minerals found in tap water. So just go to the nearest 7-11 and buy either distilled or drinking water. It would be better if you can bring ur own travel kettle to boil the water.. Some kettles in hotels are dirty.

For food, I usually give what I eat to my baby. Otherwise, you can buy those electronic lunchbox and prepare ur own food. The lunchbox is lightweight and suitable for travel. Try to goggle for electronic lunchbox on YouTube. Many videos showing how to cook food using the lunchbox.
Hi. Thank you! First time heard of electronic lunchbox! Will google to see what's that. Heehee

onlyyou

Am going to gold coast this mth end! Ard 7days. How much milk powder should I bring for my 2 yr old?! Any recommendations?

diza

Actually it depends on your child's intake and the weather. When I went to HKG during winter, 3/4 tin of 800g was not enough. He drank a lot. Thankfully I still have supply of BM so just BF him since the fourth day. I was not comfortable buying any milk powder in HKG. But I think buying milk powder in Gold Coast should be ok.