Cloth diapers

babyg501

With the weather so hot these days, my baby is already getting heat rash. So i have to continue to cloth diaper him to minimise diaper rash. With bumwear and the other diaper covers, do your babies get diaper rash since there is less breathability?

Bumwear

Babyg,

If your baby is getting rashes from using disposables diapers, then it is most likely from chemicals found in them, not because of the breathability of disposable diaper.

Putting any non-breathable material on the child won't help as the baby will be very uncomfortable, s/he will sweat because of the heat from the cloth's inability to ventilate. Bumwear's PUL have been tested for air permeability, i.e. it is breathable.

So in today's hot weather, making your child cool and comfortable is the key most important factor in preventing rashes. The next would be making sure that whatever clothing the child wears, is clean. Changing often helps a lot, esp for babies with sensitive skin.

PS: try using Snappis for your square muslin, it is really easy.

Mummy to Baby V

With the weather so hot these days, my baby is already getting heat rash. So i have to continue to cloth diaper him to minimise diaper rash. With bumwear and the other diaper covers, do your babies get diaper rash since there is less breathability?
Though some PUL are breathable, they're still less breathable than using only cotton nappies, or wool and fleece covers.
My boy has very sensitive skin and perspires easily. In the day, he uses PUL diapers or covers, changed at least once every 2-3 hours.

At night, he uses cloth diaper with outer fleece layer, for more breathability. He goes through 12 hours without rashes.
In contrast, when he tried PUL diaper for night, he'd get a rash after 5 hours. I know babies with less sensitive skin who can use PUL overnight though.

hotmilktea

i find it very confusing about this modern cloth diapers.

1. at baby expo, i touch and feel it, is so thick & hot on my skin already, wldnt the baby delicate bum feel worse esp after urine on it?
2. exactly what is need? i read there is inserts or liners or pre-fold diapers ? so first we place a piece of insert ( or 2 pieces of insert) on the cloth diaper, then wrap baby in it. if baby poo or urine, all we need to do is to throw the insert, and place new piece of insert on the same cloth diaper to reuse again ? so when does the pre-fold diapers comes in together with the cloth diaper?
3. wldnt the urine or poo leak through the insert and gets on the cloth diaper?

sorry for so many questions, i really would like to know how to go about :(

Mummy to Baby V

i find it very confusing about this modern cloth diapers.

1. at baby expo, i touch and feel it, is so thick & hot on my skin already, wldnt the baby delicate bum feel worse esp after urine on it?
2. exactly what is need? i read there is inserts or liners or pre-fold diapers ? so first we place a piece of insert ( or 2 pieces of insert) on the cloth diaper, then wrap baby in it. if baby poo or urine, all we need to do is to throw the insert, and place new piece of insert on the same cloth diaper to reuse again ? so when does the pre-fold diapers comes in together with the cloth diaper?
3. wldnt the urine or poo leak through the insert and gets on the cloth diaper?

sorry for so many questions, i really would like to know how to go about :(
1. I'm not sure which sample you felt. If you felt the insert, most likely it's microfibre. Some may look thick and feel hot, but these don't go on baby's skin. Opt for breathable PUL (or fleece or wool) outer material, which will determine the "coolness" baby feels.

There are also more trim-fit cuttings. Many brands nowadays to choose from.

My boy feels hot and perspires easily even in air-con room. Yet he has never said being in cloth diaper is warm. Instead, once we were going on a trip and I wanted to put on a disposable diaper on him and he expressed it's uncomfortable. The feel of cloth on the skin is certainly more comfortable.

2. Depends on the diaper system you choose. Briefly:
- Pocket diaper: insert into pocket, change entire diaper with insert during diaper change

- Prefold / cotton nappy plus diaper cover, stay-dry liner optional: lay Prefold & liner on cover. Change Prefold & liner during diaper change. Can reuse cover several times or until soiled

- All in two (soaker plus diaper shell): similar to above, just no folding needed, lay soaker on shell. Change soaker during diaper change. Can reuse shell several times or until soiled

- All in one: one-piece design. Change entire diaper.

More info shared at
Revealed: Cloth Diapering Essentials - A Quick Guide | Mummy's Reviews

hotmilktea

ahh thanx much. i went through all the different brands and refer to ur review as well.

i will be trying out the bummis whisper and super brite, mainly because i just need to change the pre-fold when it gets wet or soil and reuse the other diaper itself. i will buy both disposable and reuseable liners to try for bummis.

may i know normally how frequent u change? since baby vee is a heavy wetter, 1 piece of pre-fold diaper can last him few hours?

1. I'm not sure which sample you felt. If you felt the insert, most likely it's microfibre. Some may look thick and feel hot, but these don't go on baby's skin. Opt for breathable PUL (or fleece or wool) outer material, which will determine the "coolness" baby feels.

There are also more trim-fit cuttings. Many brands nowadays to choose from.

My boy feels hot and perspires easily even in air-con room. Yet he has never said being in cloth diaper is warm. Instead, once we were going on a trip and I wanted to put on a disposable diaper on him and he expressed it's uncomfortable. The feel of cloth on the skin is certainly more comfortable.

2. Depends on the diaper system you choose. Briefly:
- Pocket diaper: insert into pocket, change entire diaper with insert during diaper change

- Prefold / cotton nappy plus diaper cover, stay-dry liner optional: lay Prefold & liner on cover. Change Prefold & liner during diaper change. Can reuse cover several times or until soiled

- All in two (soaker plus diaper shell): similar to above, just no folding needed, lay soaker on shell. Change soaker during diaper change. Can reuse shell several times or until soiled

- All in one: one-piece design. Change entire diaper.

More info shared at
Revealed: Cloth Diapering Essentials - A Quick Guide | Mummy's Reviews

Carlisle

Hi mummies,

Anyone using cloth diapers for their babies? Any recommendations? Hubby and I are considering using cloth diapers when our baby's born (save money and environment) so would appreciate any advice. Also, any cloth diapered baby face problems in infant care centers? Heard that these centers would prefer to use disposables.

thanks in advance :)

My sister using Clothe diaper for her baby, to save money also... She only use pampers Diapers when they are going to mall, park or everywhere, but if they are home...she used clothe diaper...

Mummy to Baby V

ahh thanx much. i went through all the different brands and refer to ur review as well.

i will be trying out the bummis whisper and super brite, mainly because i just need to change the pre-fold when it gets wet or soil and reuse the other diaper itself. i will buy both disposable and reuseable liners to try for bummis.

may i know normally how frequent u change? since baby vee is a heavy wetter, 1 piece of pre-fold diaper can last him few hours?
I used Bummis covers when he was a newborn.
Then used pocket diapers.
Then back to Bummis again during potty-training, without liner, to help him feel wetness.

There's infant (smaller) & baby-size (bigger) Prefold. Infant size is suitable for younger baby. Even for toddler Vee, I prefer infant size for day-time, trimmer. Bigger baby-size, i prefer for nap. With liner, I'd change every 2-3 hours. Without no liner, change after every pee.
Also, pee volume and frequency changes with age.

xicloudix

HI mummies,

I have a special request from a quite few customers to start a SPREE on LARGER CUTTING Babyland cloth diaper to fit their chubby baby (up till 15-18kg) OR toddlers whom are still not toilet train yet at around 2-3 years old...

Normal cutting can fits up till 13kg only.

COLOUR AVALIABLE: Yellow only (as supplier has a very large min quantity for custom made orders)
Current Price with FOC normal post:
$5/ per cover
$8.50/ 1Cover + 2 inserts
BUY 10 COVER FOC 1 COVER

Usual price $9.50 for 1 cover + 2 insert for Normal cutting

**NOTE: This price is only valid for this batch of Large cutting BABYLAND Cloth diaper
The insert for normal size and large cutting diaper is the same, thus those already have inserts can buy the covers only

Please let me know if you are interested, and quantity need. thanks!

Stock should arrive latest by end aug or earlier

chicbabenet

Dear mom,

do anyone know about babykicks cloth diapers?? if yes, can provide some feedback??

Which type of cloth diaper system preferred?

And what is the feature are you looking when decided to buy cloth diapers?

Thx in advance

allycat

my current collection is only babyland, so far no problem. we only use disposable when we're out

Hi,

This thread seem dormant for a while... how is all the mummys using cloth diapers out there? Care to share the review of brand of cloth diapers that you are using?

Thanks.

DodoTan

Have not tried other brands. When I first started out, did not know that other brands were available. Bought a huge package (15 diapers) from bumwear and committed to using it when my son was born. We use it at home only. Sleeping and going out we still use disposables. Reason being that (for going out) got less to carry and need not change as often, and (for sleeping) my kids pee alot in their sleep, sometimes even disposable also overwhemled.
Usually using bumwear, I put 2 inserts and change every about 2 hours. Will roughly rinse out the pee (or poo) and put in a bucket to be washed with the rest of the laundry later. Just have to be careful and make sure not to use baby laundry detergent or softeners on the cloth diapers.

lululala

Hi All,

I got some AIOs from Dragon D'Or in chinatown. They have different types there. I chose the all-in-ones coz I didn't want the helper to get confused in how to use them. It's a one size fits all. I have been using them since my son was born and now he's 9kg and 8 months old.

I definitely got my money's worth. I invested about$500 in 20 pieces and have not bought anymore.

I have twin girls aged 3 years 9 months and had so much environment guilt about using disposables with them, hence the switch.

I hope this helps. Oh, and I like the Pigeon diaper liners the best, too. I soak mine in Napisan(available at Unity Pharmacy) and water and wait until I collect 10 to do a wash in the machine

I use disposables when we are traveling and during the night