Cord Blood Banking

Trinity

Anyone done it before or considering to do so?

I'm considering whether to have my baby cord blood stored or not.

And where? Cord Life, Stem Cord or Public Bank?

Anyone would like to share their views? :001_302:

jopeck

BMSG Moderator
personally, I didn't bank my child's cord blood. To me, the technology is too new... don't know if it actually has any use. Plus I'd rather have my child benefit from the blood and all that is in it... my last birth I didn't cut the cord til it was flacid (ie blood stopped flowing).

JenLee98

For DD2 who was borned in Mar this year, I signed up with the public bank. Anyone that matches can use it, and donor family members will get priority.

cluelessmummy

Been thinking about this for a while, and somehow came to this conclusion that donation to public bank might be better.

Firstly, it's less likely that baby him/herself can use his own cord blood unless whatever illness he has later on is non-genetic, otherwise his own blood will still produce the same defective cells.

Secondly, I heard that unless your baby is big and has enuf cord blood, you don't get to store it at all becoz it's useless.

Thirdly, even if you do store the blood, it's only sufficient for 1-time use.

Lastly, now only useable for blood disorders.. unless they hv a breakthrough.

So in terms of the cost involved with private banking, might not be too worth it. Might be better for EVERYONE to store with public bank..then better chance for EVERYBODY. If store with private bank, then you're really only limiting yourself to that one option.

My qn is... for those who registered with a private bank, did they refund you ALL your money if the amt of blood collected is insufficient, or if there's contamination? Or you still lost some $.

And for those who are considering which private bank, heard that Cordlife is more professional and transparent. Stemcord seemed more interested in getting more biz. Of course, this is hearsay on my part.. I only heard a talk from Cordlife but don't know much about Stemcord.

nickmummy

i signed with cordlife.. it was an last min desicion at the hospital when I was about to deliver! The sales person still made a special trip down just to make me sign on the agreement.. another company need to charge if I want them to come down on weekends..:nah:

johnnylst

Alpha Male
hi all...

between stemcord and cordlife...

i would prefer cordlife ...maybe u all can refer to forum at singaporemotherhood.com...can get a lot of info from there :)
cordlife is accerdited by revelant party ( forgotten liao..hehehehe )

my wife said that it is too expensive...i felt worth the investment...

if you introduce someone, your yearly payment got discount :)

think about it...

Elsa

We signed up with StemCord.

The company was actually introduced to us by our Gynae. When we asked him about it, his reply was 'I think you should do it if you can afford it'. :)

There is a admin fee when you first sign up with them, and a yearly maintenance fee after. When you sign up, they will pass u a kit to handover to your gynae during your delivery, and all hubby needs to do after is to call the company and they will send a courier over to get the vials of blood from the hospital (they are on 24 hours call). They store the blood in 4 separate vials to ease extraction when needed. (Vials are in different size as well, so they can utilized the vials as and when needed)

They will bring back the vials for testing to see if the blood is suitable for storage.

If it's not suitable for storing - they will return part of the admin fees for you. I think about 30% of the first time payment is retained due to the expenses of testing the blood at the lab.

If there isn't enough blood drawn - they will refund you 100% of the one time fee that was paid.

Blood stored at with them can be utilized by immediate family as well. I actually didn't look too deeply into public banking, but we decided to do it to be 'safe', as I do have a history of cancers in my family (erratic, but appears here and there down the line)

It was also much cheaper than expected (think in hundreds) for each payment, and the company has a scheme where there is a discount since we were introduced by our gynae.

Hope this helps!

U

usoowsin9

easyhairrestoration.com

Conquer hair loss for less.No pain, a lot of gain.Get DVD. Press Play. Rewind aging.You're not getting any younger...or are you?Free DVD. Free info. Free yourself from hair loss.Losing your hair?Looking to regrow your hair?Searching to regrow your hair?Regrow your hair. Regain your confidenceYou could regain your confidence with a hair loss solutionWe could help you to regain your confidence with a hair loss solutionNatural, permanent hair loss solutionStop being baldConquer hair loss for less.Get DVD. Press Play. Rewind aging.You're not getting any younger...or are you?easyhairrestoration.com|hair transplant|hair replacement| hair loss treatment

January84

I sign up with stemcord, referrer got discount of $100 and referee got $50 off.
So in future when u become referrer, you get $100 off your next bill.

PM me if u plan to sign up with stemcord!

Tracy.tan

Hi
I am meeting a sale person from cordlife this friday to have a better understanding about banking my baby's cord blood - still undecided whether we should or shouldn't do it. This will be my last pregancy (my third) and would be my last chance to bank the cord blood. When I gave birth to my second child, about 5 years ago, this banking of cord blood thing was still pretty new technology then.

But now I feel I should bank the cord blood since I aml having 3 young kids and it might be of great help in case the unexpected happend....

What is your views?

I signed up with Cordlife coz they had a booth @ TMC. Stemcord is yearly deduction. Cordlife u have a choice between annual, 10 or 21 yrs plan. Cordlife is also the only one between the two to be AABB accredited. Since still have $$ I tot it makes sense to pay off 21yrs & get it over & done with.

I have Thalessemia Beta minor. As precaution I feel it's worth it for me to invest in harvesting cord blood, not just for bb but also for me.

badtzzz

i read one article frm e papers saying tat, we shld b encourage to donate 2 e public as wat cluelessmummy say...

Dee Ho

Hi
I am meeting a sale person from cordlife this friday to have a better understanding about banking my baby's cord blood - still undecided whether we should or shouldn't do it. This will be my last pregancy (my third) and would be my last chance to bank the cord blood. When I gave birth to my second child, about 5 years ago, this banking of cord blood thing was still pretty new technology then.

But now I feel I should bank the cord blood since I aml having 3 young kids and it might be of great help in case the unexpected happend....

What is your views?
I chose to opt for it for my first born.... as I dont noe what might happened (touch wood in the future and maybi if I having 2nd one) I could jus use my first born stemcord cells if required (which I dont hope so)

Mine is stemcord ....I tink the diff of Stemcord & Cordlife is that Cordlife collection is only for one time usage... whereas Stemcord collection for 4 tubes stored at 2 diff places ... becos once withdrawn cannot be "re-use" again.

Thus, tat y I opt for Stemcord and it turn out that my decision is good...as my boy blood grp is AB+... which is not common blood grp... and that my 2 cents worth... Hee ...:Dancing_tongue: