Cord Blood Banking

sufeit0115

Thanks ting & joeyz for your info.

As i have high blood pressure condition, so i'm not sure whether i am suitable to donate?? will check with my gynae on my condition on next visit @ 35 weeks...hope it's still not too late then.

cocorocks

Hai Mummies..

Thanx for sharing your opinions and thoughts in all the forums, it helps us alot in the decision makings. After i've made a reasearch, eventually my hubby n i choose to bank our baby's cord blood. because one of my church friends didn't bank nor get the donated matched cord blood for his son. His 5 years old son was suffering with leukimia last year, and he couldn't manage to see his 6 years birthday, as he passed away 2 months before his birthday. It's quite paintful though though when we whitness the love ones has to suffer and go early. If only there is an available matched stem cells for the treatment, the boy would still be surviving and slowly recover under the intensive treatment.

Well those phrases (below) have made us realise that how important is one time chance and we shouldn't take life or things for granted. my hubby and I have attended two talks from 2 privated cord blood bank, stemcord and cordlife. Both offers a very attractive price packages, but only one of them gives me an ease of assurance, which is cordlife. We have decided to choose cordlife, because they allow me to go to their lab and also whitness the process. It's more transparent than stemcord. I've heard and seen how they control the quality and the process of storing the cord blood and seperating the important cells to be saved. It's more clear and i've understood the prodecure. But for stemcord it's only by verbal, which may not be credible, because i can't whitness how is the conservation of the cord blood.

Mu hubby said cordlife has converted into the greenbook, which is the company has become profitable. So i don't have to worry for the company to close down and what will they do to the cord blood that i've placed there. For stemcord, i'm not too sure, as there is a limited of info is provided.

So mummies, when it comes to one life chance, be wise and don't waste it.

Pss.. Please pm me if you have an info which confinement nanny agency should i choose? what food should i eat for my 6-7 pregnancies, as i'm more sensitive and allergic to flour and rice, but i wan to give my baby enough nutritions. Thanx.. :mlaugh:

"If there is a chance, why would you waste it? why don't we create a chance and opportunity instead of waiting for them to come?" by anymous

bb_jul

Hi,

I signed up with StemCord.
Reason being StemCord stores the cells in 2 places while Cordlife only 1.
Morever Cordlife & StemCord uses the same retrieval method (manually) but StemCord is cheaper. (StemCord $850, Cordlife $950)
Cordlife has the machine tech but if you want them to use machine to retrieve, they will charge you few hundreds more.
For annual fees both are the same @ $250 per year.
Both companies can use baby bonus to deduct.

No need to worry about StemCord closing down or whatsoever. Cos the contract states that if StemCord closes, it will arrange for the stem cells to be stored with another co at no add charge. Not sure about Cordlife's policy on this though.

Hope this helps. =) :wong3:

beerbelly

anybody knows if can donate to public bank and also keep cord blood at private bank? I thought of doing that, but not sure if it is do-able.....

cmeilim

hi mummies,

first of all, i want to qualify that my post below is not intended to say that any mummy has the wrong thing by choosing pte cord blood banking. it's also not meant to make mummy who has done so worry, anxious, guilty or have any negative feelings. i just believe in having access to information and then making INFORMED decisions without falling prey to commercial hard-sell ploys that try to take advantage of a parent-to-be's vulnerability. so please dont't be offended. =)

cluelessmummy is not clueless at all, and stonston's posting has a lot of wisdom in it.

for my hubby and i, we read up on pte cord blood banking and also attended at talk by the singapore public cordblood bank at Kandang Kerbau Hospital as part of a free breastfeeding seminar available for all Kandang Kerbau Hospital patients. we specifically didn't want to attend the seminars by pte pte cordblood banking because we were aware of the kind of tactic and approach, I call it emotional blackmail, that the sales consultants will use to persuade us to sign up.

the reasons why believe what pte cordblood banks claim are over-exaggerated are the same as what clueless mummy and stonston have shared. the chances of using the cord blood for the same child later in his/her life is slim, although the cord blood can potentially be used for the parent or an older sibling. in addition, there are also inherent ethical issues which have caused certain countries in North America and Europe to discourage or ban private cordblood banking altogether (eg France, Italy, American Association of Paediatrics). Moreover, there are potential dangers in the way cord blood is harvested for pte banking, to ensure that a sufficiently large amount is harvested for banking and can subsequently be of effective cure. I bet the pte cordblood banks never tell potential customers about these things.

I have an excellent article from Straits Times published last year where the senior writer spelt our all these negative factors clearly and simply. To avoid offending anyone, I shall not post it here. if you are keen to read it, please PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

our final decision: we asked our gynae to delay clamping the cord until all the cordblood has gone to the baby and the cord has turned white and soft before clamping. This is for the same reason as stonston's gynae said.

i would encourage mummies to either go public for the public good, or delay clamping and give your baby all the benefits of the cordblood now if the medical situation at the point of delivery allows. but more importantly, read up first, then talk to pte banks if you wish, but also ask them tough questions and see what they have to say. if you eventually still choose to go private, at least you would have done your due diligience, weighed all the pros and cons and made an informed decision.

have a good weekend, everyone! =)

v_ni

i've finally signed up with cordlife last week since they were having an event.

we were debating whether to go private or public and went for the different talks and consulted my PD and gyne about cordblood banking, we still decided to go private.

bottom line is for all those who bank their cordblood, nobody wants to use it. but we thought if we needed our baby's cordblood whether for a sibiling or for myself, i would be so grateful that i'll have access to it.

my number 1 concern was about the early clamping so the cord blood being taken away from my bb, my gyne told me that these days babies are so well nourished, they have too much blood in their body that results in jaundice, their liver is unable to process the substance (don't remember the medical term) out of the body fast enough. in the older days, it's probably more important for the baby to get all the cordblood s/he can get.

but this is only 1 opinion from 1 gyne.......so best to check with your own. all the PDs we've met said the same thing, if you can afford it, keep it. especially if you have blood diseases in the family.

that said, if anyone wants a referral from cordlife, please pm me. this will give you $50 off your upfront fees and i'll get some shopping vouchers on my end....:D

extra money for bb diapers is always good!

Vinc

Alpha Male
Hi V_ni,

Hv u got the referral ? I need referral for cordlife as i am going to sign the package later. Please e-mail to me : Vincenz75@hotmail.com so that i can exchange the information for the referral. Win-win for both...

v_ni

interesting news for cordblood bankers......it's always nice to know that it's useful when we have it! :)

Stem cells treat cerebral palsy

By Judith Tan
The Conns had spent 18 months researching on the Internet and had, at that time, thought their only option was Duke University.

View more photos

TWO-YEAR-OLD Georgia Conn was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at birth, but is now showing signs of improvement from the disorder after an infusion of her own stem cells - made possible by the banking of her own cord blood shortly after birth.
She was given the infusion on Sept 8 by neurosurgeon Keith Goh in Singapore - making it the first time stem cells from a baby's own cord blood used to treat cerebral palsy here.
It was carried out at the Conns' home after the Health Ministry (MOH) gave the greenlight.
Dr Goh said: 'There was no ethical issue as the cord blood was Georgia's own.'
The Conns had spent 18 months researching on the Internet and had, at that time, thought their only option was Duke University in the United States where 97 children with cerebral palsy were treated with their own cord blood.
Dr Goh has since applied to MOH to conduct clinical trials on using cord blood stem cells to treat cerebral palsy here and hopes to start them early next year.

Vinc

Alpha Male
Hi Venny,

Thanks for being my referral. Hope to receive your e-mail reply soon. I will meet up with cordlife salesperso tomorrow.

caden

Alpha Male
Hi Venny,

Thanks for being my referral. Hope to receive your e-mail reply soon. I will meet up with cordlife salesperso tomorrow.
Hi Vinc,

I read thru this forum, and I spoke to both Cordlife and Stemcord. The last person i need to speak to is my wife's gynae tmr before I make a decision. Can you share with me as to why you would go for Cordlife instead of Stemcord, and why not public bank?

From my end, if go via Cordlife and we are going for TMC, one-time registration is $950, while Stemcord, given tie up with our gynae, offer us one-time registration as $850. Both yearly fee is $250.
:wong19:

angelia286

I chose public cord banking with Cordlife. Cux what they told me kind of makes sense too.

Saves money and at the same time will have priority to use the cord blood if needed and provided that the blood has not been used by some other people. Private banking of cord blood will render you ineligible for cord blood stored publicly.

So, if there is something wrong with the cord blood stored privately, one will also not have the chance / option to use other cord blood stored publicly. In that sense, I feel that the advantages of storing publicly as compared to privately is higher.

What about you guys??

k1180n

Alpha Male
I chose public cord banking with Cordlife. Cux what they told me kind of makes sense too.

Saves money and at the same time will have priority to use the cord blood if needed and provided that the blood has not been used by some other people. Private banking of cord blood will render you ineligible for cord blood stored publicly.

So, if there is something wrong with the cord blood stored privately, one will also not have the chance / option to use other cord blood stored publicly. In that sense, I feel that the advantages of storing publicly as compared to privately is higher.

What about you guys??
Hi angelia, when you mean store publicly, it means donating of the cord blood? So the cord blood becomes property of the public bank right? They can use it for experiments and stuff like that?

Ashbaby

What about you guys??
I think u mean donating to Singapore Cord blood bank. Cos cordlife does not store publicly.

Verasim

CordLife's 'Young Parents Fiesta' Package. Book Online now!

Hi Mummies,

Enjoy GREAT SAVINGS & FREE GIFTS when you sign up for CordLife’s “Young Parents Fiesta” Pckage!

Call 6238 0808 for more details or click here to find out more about the package.

You may book this package online and get $50 Shopping voucher upon completing the sign at our booth from 22-27 June 2010.

OR

Sign-up @ Young Parents Fiesta (Marina Square Central Atrium, Level 2, Booth 11) from 25-27 June.

**Additional**
FIRST 10 sign-ups daily receive EXTRA $50 shopping vouchers!

dapheng

hi mummies,
i know it very expensive to bank the cordblood, however, it's for your children and maybe yourself!!
im not trying to say everyone will use it or what, (hope not) however, if you can prepare something beforehand, isnt it better??
health is something you can never neglect in life, and cordblood is a one time thing, there are people who want to bank, wish they had bank, but they can't and had missed the chance.
an eg, though it is not real, but watch the movie "the sister's keeper" dont you feel sad? not matter how hard you try to win faith but you can't?
now, there is a chance to increase the chances to win the diseases, we should grab the chance.

just rmb, some things are just have once chance, you cannot miss it.
especially for your health!

yea, i know money is a problem, but there are package that private banking provide. one that i know that is quite good is Cordlife, cordlife provide different type of package, you choose annual, 10 or 21yrs plan. all the facility and guarantee they provide can reassure your worried. i feel that i can trust them if i bank my baby cordblood with them.

their staffs are very professional and always provide the information needed. anyway, they are having a babytalk on Oct 2nd, if you want to know more, you can attend, if im not wrong, they also hold a baby bazaar and consultation at the same time. lastly, bring along your gynae card and the admission is FREEE!

lots of LOVE
dapheng