Cord Blood Banking

PTB7476

Quoted from cordblookd banking website
As umbilical cord blood banking is a relatively new concept, long term tracking of viability has not been possible. Currently stem cell samples stored for about 20 years appear identical to samples stored for one week. If properly stored at cryogenic temperatures, it is believed by the scientific community that cord blood can be stored indefinitely.
n the event that the donor/child or family members need the donated cord blood for transplant can the cord blood unit be requested?

Quoted from singapore cord blood bank
Donated cord blood is not reserved for the specific family’s usage. However, if the family requires the cord blood unit and it is still available in the bank, we will work with your Transplant Physician on the release should it be found suitable. If the cord blood unit has already been released for transplantation, we will also work with your Transplant Physician on finding a suitable unit.

Data shows that it is most unlikely that donors should ever need their own cord blood unit as most Transplant Physicians may not feel that the patient’s own cord blood unit is the best choice. This is because it may already carry the genetic abnormality that led to the blood or immune system failure or cancer in the first place.

these sentence doesnt given me any confident in the program store it for personal use :embarrassed:

Last edited:

apollo

Quoted from cordblookd banking website
As umbilical cord blood banking is a relatively new concept, long term tracking of viability has not been possible. Currently stem cell samples stored for about 20 years appear identical to samples stored for one week. If properly stored at cryogenic temperatures, it is believed by the scientific community that cord blood can be stored indefinitely.
n the event that the donor/child or family members need the donated cord blood for transplant can the cord blood unit be requested?

Quoted from singapore cord blood bank
Donated cord blood is not reserved for the specific family’s usage. However, if the family requires the cord blood unit and it is still available in the bank, we will work with your Transplant Physician on the release should it be found suitable. If the cord blood unit has already been released for transplantation, we will also work with your Transplant Physician on finding a suitable unit.

Data shows that it is most unlikely that donors should ever need their own cord blood unit as most Transplant Physicians may not feel that the patient’s own cord blood unit is the best choice. This is because it may already carry the genetic abnormality that led to the blood or immune system failure or cancer in the first place.

these sentence doesnt given me any confident in the program store it for personal use :embarrassed:
i read that highlighted paragraph and that was what I heard over the news and the SCBB lady told me and made me decide to rather donate the cord blood out. =)

cmeilim

ya, all the pte cord blood banking banks NEVER tell the prospective clients about that highlighted para at the so-called information seminars. so many parents end up being 'duped', given half-truths, and making less informed decisions to bank their cord blood privately.

Borntaker

Dear daddy n mummy, any1 can advise on whether to bank e cord blood or donate?? I'm supposed to confirm tmr with cordlife but after reading so much, feels that donate to scbb is oso a gd n wise choice...

pipilili

Born taker,

I was also thinking of signing up with Cordlife...but then I spoke to gynae about it and he says better to donate.

I guess I will donate out...maybe can save a life = doing a good deed.

And my cousin did her own research and found out that if we bank with private, the blood can only be used once...so if need multiple transfusion or etc...still need to take from SCBB.

But of coz everyone wants their child to be healthy and strong....

Borntaker

Pipilili,

After reading n getting more info from both SCBB n Cordlife, most likely i'll donate oso.
Most imp is bcos i learnt that using unrelated cord blood samples is preferred by many transplant physicians because firstly, the child’s own cord blood cannot be used to treat genetic diseases. Then it will b a waste of $ to store with private banking. I'll consult my gynae tmr, see what advises he can gv.

Just to share with u n other MTB,

Public:
1)No charges for storage (as u donate it).
2)Anyone can use it.
3)In case u nd to use e cord blood that u donated n it is still available, u need to pay $2600. In any case that e cord blood u donated is used, SCBB will find a suitable one for u at a cost of $26k.
4)Data shows that it is most unlikely that donors should ever need their own cord blood unit as most Transplant Physicians may not feel that the patient’s own cord blood unit is the best choice. This is because it may already carry the genetic abnormality that led to the blood or immune system failure or cancer in the first place.

Private:
1)21yrs plan for $5600(Can use CDA acc)
2)Sole ownership of e cordblood.
3) Initial cost of $1600 will not b refunded if cord blood is not suitable for storage or is being contaminated.
4)Based on e outline (under Public no.4), since we r unlikely to use e cord blood that we stored due to genetic abnormality, it is pointless and waste of $$ to bank with private.

Born taker,

I was also thinking of signing up with Cordlife...but then I spoke to gynae about it and he says better to donate.

I guess I will donate out...maybe can save a life = doing a good deed.

And my cousin did her own research and found out that if we bank with private, the blood can only be used once...so if need multiple transfusion or etc...still need to take from SCBB.

But of coz everyone wants their child to be healthy and strong....

Last edited:

maneo0302

Pipilili,

After reading n getting more info from both SCBB n Cordlife, most likely i'll donate also.
Most imp is bcos i learnt that using unrelated cord blood samples is preferred by many transplant physicians because firstly, the child’s own cord blood cannot be used to treat genetic diseases. Then it will b a waste of $ to store with private banking. I'll consult my gynae tomorrow, see what advises he can gv.

Just to share with you n other MTB,

Public:
1)No charges for storage (as you donate it).
2)Anyone can use it.
3)In case you need to use e cord blood that you donated n it is still available, you need to pay $2600. In any case that e cord blood you donated is used, SCBB will find a suitable one for you at a cost of $26k.
4)Data shows that it is most unlikely that donors should ever need their own cord blood unit as most Transplant Physicians may not feel that the patient’s own cord blood unit is the best choice. This is because it may already carry the genetic abnormality that led to the blood or immune system failure or cancer in the first place.

Private:
1)21yrs plan for $5600(Can use CDA acc)
2)Sole ownership of e cordblood.
3) Initial cost of $1600 will not b refunded if cord blood is not suitable for storage or is being contaminated.
4)Based on e outline (under Public no.4), since we r unlikely to use e cord blood that we stored due to genetic abnormality, it is pointless and waste of $$ to bank with private.
I have signed up with Stemcord!

gumbokins

I donated my boy's with SCBB. Interview was at McDonalds hahaha! As we are an interracial family, she was quite happy to get our contribution. I hope that it was a success :)

tpyy

Thanks for all the posts and opinions here. After going for Stemcord's public talk, and reading up on SCBB's website, we have also decided to go public rather than private. It was also the first time for me reading that a donor rarely uses his/her own cord blood for genetic diseases, which actually makes sense! Gives me the reassurance, as well as the peace of mind to donate our baby's cord blood. Like what the Stemcord spokesperson shared, it's like medical insurance for your baby, it's something you pay for, but hope that you never use. Of course in event of retrieval, public banks will be more expensive upfront ($26k), but then again, if you never use, than for 20 years' storage at private banks, you forego $5-6k. Not forgetting that cord blood is not the only source of stem cells, there's still bone marrow and peripheral blood (of course with less chance of matching).

pipilili

I also donated to SCBB, since the lady came to me while I was waiting for gynae @ KKH-TPS.

So far, no regrets. It's for a good course, why not?

Rbelle

I'm now in dilemma whether to store or donate...:err:

Having my second baby. We did store with Cordlife for our elder one.

kitty cat

interesting news for cordblood bankers......it's always nice to know that it's useful when we have it! :)

Stem cells treat cerebral palsy

By Judith Tan
The Conns had spent 18 months researching on the Internet and had, at that time, thought their only option was Duke University.

View more photos

TWO-YEAR-OLD Georgia Conn was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at birth, but is now showing signs of improvement from the disorder after an infusion of her own stem cells - made possible by the banking of her own cord blood shortly after birth.
She was given the infusion on Sept 8 by neurosurgeon Keith Goh in Singapore - making it the first time stem cells from a baby's own cord blood used to treat cerebral palsy here.
It was carried out at the Conns' home after the Health Ministry (MOH) gave the greenlight.
Dr Goh said: 'There was no ethical issue as the cord blood was Georgia's own.'
The Conns had spent 18 months researching on the Internet and had, at that time, thought their only option was Duke University in the United States where 97 children with cerebral palsy were treated with their own cord blood.
Dr Goh has since applied to MOH to conduct clinical trials on using cord blood stem cells to treat cerebral palsy here and hopes to start them early next year.
i believe you are referring to this post on their webpage. Click Here