did you feel immediate LOVE for your baby?

woofy55

my love for my son started almost immediately after i know i'm pregnant. As i had a m/c before, though i had very bad m/s for almost 7mths plus this round, I appreciate all the signs that I was still pregnant. however, i really really start to love him and talk to him is during my last month of pregnancy when he was so tight in my tummy and I can feel his every movement and kicks and feel him shifting his knees or whatever.. when i scratches my tummy (the spot i think it was his back and backside), he actually respond and stirred. The feeling is amazing to me.

And after pushing him out and saw him for the 1st time - i have no reaction until he is in the plastic box waiting for the next step (measure weight and length..etc?) He was gazing at my direction and I was very excited when I saw that my nose appears on his little face!!! And when he was placed back into my arms after he was dressed, i took a smell at him cos i always thought babies smell nice... oh well, how wrong am i... he smell weird!!! and as i was also effected by the epidural, the smell of him makes me want to puke. heee...

But yes la.. i love him almost immediately and especially so after that 1st bf-ing experience.

uddermummy

my first dotter was purple my hubby said. it was not a pleasant sight. she didn't immediately cry when they took her out so she was turning purple slowly. I saw her only after nurse smack her buttock and she cried. Then her face turned pinkish. But still ugly and white with mucus.

The nurse came to my ward and said..your baby so cute. then my hubby said how come all you ladies can always see the cuteness in newborn babies ? I dont't understand. To me all newborns are ugly. They'll only turn cute once the water retention goes away. so blunt one my hubby. Then the nurse replied... you dont know meh? Definition of Cute is UGLY but ADORABLE.

hahaha.
ahahahaha! :tlaugh:

cocraze

I did not for my first baby. I read so many articles saying first time mommies will feel so much love for their babies the moment they see them. I did not have such a feeling. In fact i remember i was shocked by how ugly she was. 2 weeks after delivery, I still did not feel the love for my child. I only started loving her when she turned 3 months. I felt so guilty for not loving her sooner. It was really odd. Any other mommies felt same way as me? Or was i weird?
for my second baby, wahhh the love i felt was so intense the moment she was born. I felt more normal the second time round.
LOL! I felt the same way!

When I first saw my baby, the first thought I had was "wow, you're a strange little thing that came out of me" LOL.

I mean, I didn't feel lovey dovey about my baby but I did worry a lot about him. He was very small and very sleepy and didn't like to drink milk. So was worried sick about him. I felt more responsible than the lovey dovey feeling. But I guess being responsible is also a form of love?

I only started feeling lovey dovey about my baby when he was more responsive...
That's total bull! As if c-sec means it's easier for us. =.=
To be quite frank, I wasn't very happy to get pregnant - I mean I was trying and when I did get pregnant, I was more worried because my first pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage and some drama. Then my hubs got retrenched and my parents became very meddlesome to the point where I couldn't even buy clothes for Eva without my mum having a say in it. I felt that I was pregnant not for me but for other people. You know how some women cry when they first hear their baby's heartbeat? Me? I just went "That's it ar?". :/

When I had her - how is beside the point - I instantly felt a connection with her. It wasn't love per se but this thing where you want to give your best and all for this little bundle. I felt proud at having brought such a lovely creature into the world...but it still wasn't "I love you, etc, etc".

THEN when the reality of me being a mum sank in, you could say that I wasn't so proud anymore. The move to Singapore, the confinement, having to put up with two meddling old people plus taking care of a newborn who was having difficulties transitioning from day to night...all that made me really down and I started to wonder if I was mother-material because I didn't feel the "gushy", "teary eyed" love at all. I got annoyed at her for crying non-stop a few times - even my hubs wasn't like that. =.=

Today, four months on, you could say that what I feel for her is more of a practical, "motherly" love and not so much the whole Hollywood type of love one should have for their baby (dont't really know if this makes any sense - I'm drugged out on charcoal pills, Panadol and Smecta on the moment).
I feel much more normal reading your responses above... I've been quite worried and wondered whether I was just the unfeeling mummy who doesn't gush over her daughter much. I mean, I NOW do, but it's only when she started smiling and being cute and chubby. I absolutely felt I was only a practical mummy (change diaper, carry her to stop her cry, feed her etc etc) during the first two months when I was taking care of her. At least now, she responds when I talk to her, which makes the 'talktime' or 'playtime' much bearable.

I feel much more normal reading your responses above... I've been quite worried and wondered whether I was just the unfeeling mummy who doesn't gush over her daughter much. I mean, I NOW do, but it's only when she started smiling and being cute and chubby. I absolutely felt I was only a practical mummy (change diaper, carry her to stop her cry, feed her etc etc) during the first two months when I was taking care of her. At least now, she responds when I talk to her, which makes the 'talktime' or 'playtime' much bearable.
Same here. I had terrible MS during pregnancy and traumatic delivery (hallucinated as a result of drugs used and thought I had gone mad!!!!) so much so I was very much trying to recover myself after pregnancy and delivery.

Even during confinement I was not super interested in my baby becoz my breasts were painful, got piles, generally felt unwell and painful c-section wound. I then felt that the pregnancy was not really over since I still suffer some side effects post delivery! For me, pregnancy is not just a nine months thing but play out to a much longer extended period becoz of physical physiological and mental changes..

Now at 9 weeks old, I only started to feel intense love for my baby when he started to coo, 'talk' to me and smile two weeks back. The Pedi commented that he is a very chatty and alert 2 months old. :) He is quite cute, chubby
and loves to play. Now I understand a parent's devotion and love for their children. I sometimes wonder though if he is not as cute in looks and alert in behaviour, would I really love him as much all the same?

apollo

Haha... The first time I held my baby I feel so scare that my baby will be dropped on to the floor.
ehh me too ! cos NB babies are v fragile! but i believe tt no mothers will drop their bb no matter hw scare they are. mother instinct mahh, must protect our kids. haha.

CanCanMum

actually i nebber really carried Baber til his neck was stable until about 2months plusss

before tat mostly handled by my mum or MIL lOlzzzzzzzzzzzz

i admit i m lousy wif newborn babies lOlzzzzzzzzzzzz i scared i accidentally "twist" their necks lOlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

cocraze

actually i nebber really carried Baber til his neck was stable until about 2months plusss

before that mostly handled by my mum or mother in law lOlzzzzzzzzzzzz

i admit i m lousy with newborn babies lOlzzzzzzzzzzzz i scared i accidentally "twist" their necks lOlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
for me i hardly carried her during confinement cos got confinement lady do everything related to bb.
i rarely bf her direct, n only carried her when going for her medical appointments!!! hehehe...
now everyday carry...more bochup,sometimes balance her on one hand while im trying to put her in/take her out of baby carrier, and of cos when bathing her also muz balance....become a very rough-handling mummy liao....