Do u wake ur newborn (2 weeks old) up to feed?

olive plant

My 2 weeks old baby tends to be very sleepy. Sometimes she can sleep for more than 3 or 4 hours. Must i wake her up to feed or just wait till she wakes up herself?

I do not wake my son up when he was a few weeks old cos he remained sleepy during feeding. I let him woke up naturally instead and he fed better in this way.

Yes I do wake my baby up for her feeds. I read before that we should not let a young baby (under 8 weeks) sleep for more than 5 or 6 hours without milk. Reason being they are still in sleepy mode, if you don't wake them up for feed, they might "oversleep". By the time they wake up will be too hungry.

It's also good to latch your baby every 2-3 hours to help clear your engorged breasts and promote milk flow.

If your baby sleeping, just pick him or her up and try to latch on. You can tickle the chEeks or chin, or gently rub the earlobes.

Gumi

I did not wake my boy up to feed at that time either cos when he's hungry he will sure cry for his milk.

Phoebii Cheng

Yup I too did not wake my son up when he was a few weeks old......let them wake up & hungry they will latch better....but if your breasts is leaking then pump a bit out first

esta_837

Yes, I woke my baby up to feed. She was a sleepy baby and would also sleep for more than 4 hrs without waking up, or, she would wake up and NOT cry for milk, and then go back to sleep shortly after. She was slightly jaundiced too, so the paediatrician also said it's better to make sure she is fed often, every 3 hrs to "flush down" the jaundice.

I woke her up by changing her nappy. If she fell asleep on one breast, I would wake her up again by changing her nappy again (or doing the same changing actions again but using back the same nappy), and she would wake up and continue to feed again. I also fed based on the guideline that babies should be fed minimum 6 times in 24 hrs.

isabelandrew

Yes, during the 1st month - i wake my bb. That time i was BF-ing her. I remember Sister Kang from Mount A reminded me that bb must drink milk within 4 hrs.

pinetartsg

Yes, I recalled a nurse in Mount A told me that we need to wake them up for milk and not let them oversleep. Its part of brain growth also. So when I reached, I set alarm and fed my baby every 3 hrs (on formula milk). Then when I gave birth to my 2nd child in Mount E, the pd told me it is ok to go without any milk the 1st few days (cos' that time trying for breastfeed and the milk flow had not come until day 5). Last, when I gave borth to my 3rd child (also in Mount E), the pd told me to give formulae if breastmilk doesn't come after 2 days. Whose right whose wrong, I am not sure. Anyway, as long as they are healthy. But personally, I think u should not let them overslept without milk.

stonston

Day time I will wake my boy up to feed if he has been sleeping for >3hours. However, I will not do that at night cos they need to learn that night (dark) = sleep.

If baby has sufficient intake in the day, they are usually alright with sleeping for longer hours at night :)

Missy S

Yes, my CL and I myself wake my baby up for feed every 3 hourly. He is slightly jaundiced hence he is very sleepy during the first 2 weeks. His jaundice has gone down a lot and he is much more active. Now, he is able to wake up and cry for milk on his own.

Your baby could be slightly jaundiced and therefore very sleepy. So, perhaps it is good to wake him up for feed to "flush" out the jaundice in his body.

olive plant

Oh the sleepiness is due to Jaundice? I didn't know that.. Yes my baby was jaundiced in the first few days..but since we discharged and came home i didn't pay much attention to it as the PD said the jaundice level went down abit during the first check up...

IF that 's the reason that she is always so sleepy then i should do as what u said and wake her up more often to drink milk. Must feed water? or just breastmilk can already?

Yes, my CL and I myself wake my baby up for feed every 3 hourly. He is slightly jaundiced hence he is very sleepy during the first 2 weeks. His jaundice has gone down a lot and he is much more active. Now, he is able to wake up and cry for milk on his own.

Your baby could be slightly jaundiced and therefore very sleepy. So, perhaps it is good to wake him up for feed to "flush" out the jaundice in his body.

ling.er

My 2 weeks old baby tends to be very sleepy. Sometimes she can sleep for more than 3 or 4 hours. Must i wake her up to feed or just wait till she wakes up herself?

My newborn also 2 wk old nw ^^
I nv wake my newborn for milk, he auto will cry for milk 3 or 3.5 hr !! :wong19:

Missy S

Oh the sleepiness is due to Jaundice? I didn't know that.. Yes my baby was jaundiced in the first few days..but since we discharged and came home i didn't pay much attention to it as the pediatrician said the jaundice level went down abit during the first check up...

IF that 's the reason that she is always so sleepy then i should do as what you said and wake her up more often to drink milk. Must feed water? or just breastmilk can already?
Yup. Jaundiced babies tends to be very sleepy. My baby's jaundice level was not very high hence no treatment is require and was allow to be discharge with me. However, we brought him back to polyclinic weekly to monitor his level. It has gone down a lot, and we noticed he became less sleepy and active for a longer period of time.

I read books saying that during TBF, as this will affect the breast feeding process. Any form of liquid other than breast milk will have adverse effect. Just keep feeding your baby with breast milk and perhaps avoid food like ginger and papaya for the time being.

As for feeding, perhaps try to time every 3 hours per feed, if your baby is too sleepy then try waking her up for milk. Cos an newborn on average feeds 8-10 times per day on breast milk.

NIisme

My darling girl jaundice level reach 167, but she always so awake during that time. Zzz
why my girl so diff de. Haiss

fern

at the parentcraft class by mount alvernia, i was told to wake baby up if it is day time..and NOT to wake her up for night

Missy S

at the parentcraft class by mount alvernia, i was told to wake baby up if it is day time..and NOT to wake her up for night
Yes, I think it is important to try let baby differentiate day and night. So, even if babies sleep longer in the night, just let them be