Do want your childen to learn to play piano?

stonston

actualli, u can see if a child is musically inclined fm young....
like my boi, he loves rhythm....u tap a rhythm on e table, he will tap e same rhythm back for u....

n he loves to gather alot of things tt make noise n start tapping them like drum (his wet wipes container, his toys, carton boxes, my brother's small bouncy ball, etc)...

n u can expose them to music first, without having to force them to learn...if ur fren has a kiddo tt is learning an instrument, can bring ur kiddo to their house and watch their kiddo practice...or bring ur kid to those free performances (outside esplanade or other places, sometimes SSO has free outdoor performances)....
or u can make ur own simple instruments at home n play with ur kid to catch their interest first :)

deardar

its depends on their own interest
ya i do want them to learn wad i didnt learn at all
i will oso gif them the best of all

Supergirl

YES!

I am going to let my girl learn piano and ballet.

Actually I would like to let her learn fencing too.

I ever passby a fencing school at United Square and like what they teach.

Better to let children fill up with healthy activities than hang around with bad company, like me during my school days :embarrassed:

tiziana

it depends on my dd. i used to learn piano too but lose interest in it as my mum always force me to finish my grade 8, and thus she made me quit my piano lessons and ever since i hardly touches the piano, i won't force my daughter to learn piano if she dun wan cuz the feeling really suck. :(

dek2k8

Alpha Male
it depends on my dd. i used to learn piano too but lose interest in it as my mum always force me to finish my grade 8, and thus she made me quit my piano lessons and ever since i hardly touches the piano, i won't force my daughter to learn piano if she dun wan cuz the feeling really suck. :(
yes,it is not good to have too much pressure on the kids !

maybe let them choose what they like ... :tlaugh::tlaugh:

stonston

supergal, there is another v good fencing school at bukit timah area...e building with waffle town...e fencing school is at their basemt...i am interested to take lessons there too...have been there many times to see their classes :)

pianojazzy

After reading this thread, i would like to share my views on learning piano.

I am a piano teacher with 10 years experience. Would like to add on to this discussion as i have seen wonders about it.

Listening to classical music can develop baby's brain. This applies to during pregnancy, infant till all ages.

It is proven that listening to Mozart pieces can develop one's brain. Try the mozart effect.

For children learning music, regardless to whichever instruments, can improve maths and behaviour. I have seen a lot of cases from my students.

Happy listening!!

Btw the way, i am not promoting my services

Leanne

Actually i do want my DS to learn piano. I dun mind teaching him too. Cus i learnt till Grade 8. But still need to see whether DS is interested in it..

My passion for piano is undying. Hehe. But have not touch it for years alr. Whenever see piano, will bring back my childhood memories.

pianojazzy

Great stonston. I actually witness it :)

Leanne, do go ahead and teach him. But do note that foundation is the most important. I think u will agree with me that inexperienced teacher can teach grade 1 and above or at least students with some foundation already but they find it difficult to teach beginners.

This happens to me when i just started. I took some time to figure out a structured and systematic method to teach beginners so if u need help, do not hesitate to ask me for more details ya.

U might never know after teaching ur ds, you can start teaching other kids. Cheers

LoveMe

i may consider provided my dd loves music.. else it will be a torture for her to attend something tat doesnt interest her.. :p

Leanne

Great stonston. I actually witness it :)

Leanne, do go ahead and teach him. But do note that foundation is the most important. I think u will agree with me that inexperienced teacher can teach grade 1 and above or at least students with some foundation already but they find it difficult to teach beginners.

This happens to me when i just started. I took some time to figure out a structured and systematic method to teach beginners so if u need help, do not hesitate to ask me for more details ya.

U might never know after teaching ur ds, you can start teaching other kids. Cheers
I will try to expose to him to piano. & then i'll see how from there :)

priscilla

I think it is depend on what he is interested, my boy likes the drums. He is now learning to play the recorder and also some basic fingering for piano. We are waiting for him to be a bigger since over here they do not take in children under 7 for drums. So is all depend on his interests.

Forcing a child to do what he is not interested, will make him hate it. I know of a ex-student who was force to take piano all the way to diploma but now she does not even what to touch the piano.

though DD still in mt stomach but i'm alrdy planning to let her learn piano when she's 4yrs old.. but i'll not force her to learn if she show no interest...

pianojazzy

Forcing a child to do what he is not interested, will make him hate it. I know of a ex-student who was force to take piano all the way to diploma but now she does not even what to touch the piano.

Sad to say but this applies for NAFA young talent students.

Supergirl

supergal, there is another v good fencing school at bukit timah area...e building with waffle town...e fencing school is at their basemt...i am interested to take lessons there too...have been there many times to see their classes :)
stonston,

Thanks for your info.

Actually I am looking at Z-fencing at United Square. I happen to passby and saw their fencing competition, its really nice! I always imagine a girl with long hair that is very professional in fencing and when she remove her head gear, her long hair flows and everyone is surprised that the excellent fencer is a girl!!!

Just dreaming.........
:tlaugh:

maine78

If my ds is interested in piano n can afford, of coz will let him learn.

But few mths back, i seen frm taiwan news that their research found out tat children who read muscial scripts at young age, there's a higher chance of getting myopia. Dunno how true

Mrs Xie

I regretted for not taking up piano lessons when I was young then as I love piano. If my dd is interested in playing piano, it would be great.... But if she is not interested at all... I won't force her either. :tlaugh: