Do you all speak proper Eng or proper Chin to your child? Or Singlish/baby lang?

CanCanMum

yeah.....tried yesterday...call him Baber he ignored....Called him Baby he ignored....call him Adult he also ignored....call him Nigel Wong he responded!!!!

wuliaOooozzz

Giving nicknames to babies is certainly fine and fun. It's intimate too.

However, I personally feel that we are not fair to the poor baby if they are being introduced to baby language/improper English for a start.

Let me cite you an example - introducing a dog.

Baby lang like wo-wo, go-go, doggie (not too sure any others....)

And subsequently, when we try to teach him/her to speak English, we tell them it is a dog and when come to Chinese, we have to tell him/her , 'gou'.

Putting ourselves in their shoes, they will have to do all the associations.

From wo-wo to go-go to doggie, then to dog and Chinese' gou' and they ALL mean the same thing.

In short, why can't we do it right the first time and not to cause any extra work for them, just go straight to the point of introducing them to things/animals in the right way.

As it is, trying to be bilingual, already challenging.

Having said that, introducing a dialect to them is good. Personally, as we are Chinese, we should not lose our Chinese roots.

Last edited:
Introducing Phonics to them while they are learning how to speak is important.

We don't need to try to adopt an English accent or an American accent, most importantly, a standard English whereby internationally, people do understand us. That is what communications is about, to be understood - both ways.

Ting

hmmm just a tot...
even if now we speak perfect eng.. but in sch they will also pick up the lahhs n lohhs...
liek pin, i realise she picked up some words from her frens in sch......

diymummy

Hmmm... Maybe gotta correct them when you hear it at home... They need to know the difference I guess... Know what is proper, and what is just local slang (all that lahs and lors)

ronwong

Alpha Male
I learnt English and Mandarin in the Singapore Education system, thus I cant speak good english nor pronounce proper mandarin, I speak cantonese and mandarin to my kids.

Ting

but im guilty as charged. cos i also speak with my lors and lahs. and my family too.
we try to correct her as much as we can bahs.

diymummy

i guess at some points it can't be helped cos we're all exposed to this in sg. but i remember when i was young my mum always bought me books and let me play spelling games and that helped build my english up abit. i think reading really helps a lot....

snowbear

We can't stop our children from picking up Singlish from their peers but we need to do what is within our means and that is to speak proper English or Chinese for that matter. I use Singlish too at times and I do think sometimes it is more appropriate for certain situations. Actually it boils down to being able to code-switch, i.e. being able to assess the situation and decide which form of English is appropriate for that situation. The problem with children is that they don't really have that ability yet so it is impt to start them off with standard English rather than Singlish.

Ting

hmmm, to think of tt, pin uses her lahhs n lorhs at the right time. she doesnt use them often. but when she use them, its very funny!!

nancy

I believe that my baby should be exposed to as many languages as possible beside English. Hence I will use Mandarin, Hokkien, Cantonese (mine and my hubby's dialect groups) and even Singlish when talking to her. And when I watch korean drama while breastfeeding , she will also try to watch. (I was watching Korean dramas while pregnant). hope that my girl will be multi-lingual instead of just English speaking :>

All you Mummies are right.

We will try to do our best at our end to provide the opportunity to speak Standard English.

Nevertheless, it is indeed inevitable that they get to hear and may pick up the Singlish bit. It's good that they know, afterall, they are Singaporeans.

Again, more importantly, not to use them. Otherwise, it is difficult for them to kick the habit.

Maybe when they are much older like in the teens, they may just find it fun to include ''... ''' ...to spice up the conversation or maybe to show the friendliness amongst their friends. Code-switch.. uhm, that's right.

Just like in one conversation, we Singaporeans are so capable of having different languages/dialects to complete the entire conversation. Agree? Uniquely Singaporean.. ha... ha...

Great job Mummies... on the way to educate our young folks!!!

Believe you read about the embarrassment made during the Miss Universe Pageant, right?

Certainly hope this is a wake-up call for many. It's not about snobbishness.. but to make sure we represent ourselves and our Country correctly.

Cheers!!

Last edited: