Do you circumcise your boy?

banner82

Well, my boy is 4 mths old. He charged me approximate 500 bucks, local anesthesia. I thought the price was a little steep.

gumbokins

Oh yah my son's one was also a local. A bit extreme to do GA, isn't it?

My husband was in the room with my son during the procedure, he said Dr Sidek and his nurses were very skilled and did a quick job.

shi_san_yee

Oh yah my son's one was also a local. A bit extreme to do GA, isn't it?

My husband was in the room with my son during the procedure, he said Dr Sidek and his nurses were very skilled and did a quick job.
once the child is older, there is more movement and something to do with the pain management i think, so they need to use GA. For very young infants, they can't yet flip, so healing is alot faster and easier to manage.

wongsally82

Well, my boy is 4 mths old. He charged me approximate 500 bucks, local anesthesia. I thought the price was a little steep.
Hi banner82 and Gumbonkins,

Just wondered if you are getting your son circumcised for religious reasons....Im in two minds if I should get my son done or not? I'm just doing for hygene...hubby has not been done, neither has anyone in our family...but my mom said she thought it is better to do now he is young so he don't get infections later. Would be useful to get your thoughts on this....

banner82

Hi banner82 and Gumbonkins,

Just wondered if you are getting your son circumcised for religious reasons....Im in two minds if I should get my son done or not? I'm just doing for hygene...hubby has not been done, neither has anyone in our family...but my mom said she thought it is better to do now he is young so he dont't get infections later. Would be useful to get your thoughts on this....
i just got my boy circumcised this tuesday at crescent clinic suggested by Roz and other mummies in this forum. well, we did it for hygiene reasons. my family has never done it as well but hubby had it done at birth and his younger brother at 4 yrs old. my hubby insisted it because he seen his brother had an infection at 4 yrs old (before circumcised) from the dirt trapped within the folds. apparently the pain from infection is worse than the pain from circumcision procedure.

gumbokins

Yes, my boy was done for religious reasons. My husband was not born Muslim but he was also circumcised at birth. In fact, when he told his mom that we were just getting it done last week, she was quite surprised that we didn't go ahead and do it at birth >.<

So I have no experience about the infection bit but I know there are a lot of people who are against circumcision, saying that it is unnecessary etc and that you won't get infected if you learn to take care and clean the area properly.

banner> so you went to cresent? i think one reason why dr sidek charges more is his clinic is a bit more fancy, his nurses all wear matching scrubs...that's why. haha! how is your little boy healing?

banner82

Yes. I managed to convince my hubby that Dr Tahir is good. :) it's healing quite well in fact. Btw, circumcision can be done at birth. We didn't do it at birth because 1) baby was born prematurely 2) everyone was so kan jiong about the birth that this is the last thing on their mind. :D

Last edited:

Triquetra

May i ask if any mummy has gone to Dr Tahir at Crescent Clinic recently?
Can anyone advise when is the best time for circumcision to be done? Right after birth? 1 day old? 1 week old? 2 weeks old? Or 1 month old?

Thanks!

gumbokins

I know ppl who hv done it at birth. Or the other usual piece of advice is to wait till the jaundice clears ~ 1 month

gumbokins

I suppose because jaundice needs to be monitored, thats why would rather postpone the circumcision?

In any case, my boy was still mildy jaundiced when we had him done at 7 weeks. I did check with my PD during our follow ups due to his jaundice, which was quite high.

Triquetra

I suppose because jaundice needs to be monitored, thats why would rather postpone the circumcision?

In any case, my boy was still mildy jaundiced when we had him done at 7 weeks. I did check with my PD during our follow ups due to his jaundice, which was quite high.
Oic... but monitoring aside, does jaundice affect the procedure of circumcision in any medical way?

Carlisle

I wouldn't do it if I had a son, it hurts the baby and it's not necessary and not very common any more. Also it's easier to take care of an intact penis than the wound.

foscom

I had my little one done about a week after birth, and would strongly recommend it. I think there are real health benefits, but its a personal thing. It is also a very minor operation (5 mins max). Are u doing it for religious reasons of health benefits or just because hubby did?

foscom

Oic... but monitoring aside, does jaundice affect the procedure of circumcision in any medical way?
I had my little one done at birth, and would strongly recommend it. I think there are real health benefits, but it is a personal thing. It is also a very minor operation (5 mins max). Are u doing for health reasons or religious reasons or because of family preference?

Triquetra

I had my little one done at birth, and would strongly recommend it. I think there are real health benefits, but it is a personal thing. It is also a very minor operation (5 mins max). Are u doing for health reasons or religious reasons or because of family preference?
For hygiene reasons. My husband and his brothers went through circumcision when they were in primary school, till date they still remember the discomfort and pain of it. I read and understand that it also took longer to recover when done later as compared to at birth. Furthermore, it was harder for them to avoid certain foods which will affect their recovery.

Not sure if it's linked but friends whose sons who have not circumcised have gotten infections. I assume bacteria and germs have been trapped under the foreskin without them knowing. I feel that the private area is cleaner and easier to maintain after circumcision.

I am pretty sure that I am circumcising my boy... just cannot decide when. Though many mummies have shared that it will be better to do it at birth - recovery rate, pain and the procedure itself, I just cant help but feel bad to let a newborn go through it.

gumbokins

The other suggestion is to do it before they can start flipping :)

Think the pain and discomfort is quite minimal when done young; it was more traumatising for me to have to look at the wound everytime i change his diaper >.<

wepo12

Hi there doe anyone know how we do booking for crescant clinic circumcision appt . Planning to do it for my baby ... heard alot of good feedbacks about the clinic but I need to prepare cash. Is it payment by cash or medisave? andWhat is the total cost of everything.Thanks mummyss