Do you circumcise your boy?

hotmilktea

Is it really pain free for ur baby? Does he cry when doing the doc are doing it or when he pees, or when u changing diaper or during bath?
Is it hard to take care of it?

Sorry first child and my mother also no experience dunnoe wat to expect.
My boy is 3 weeks old this week

Both hubby and I are chinese. Did it for hygiene purpose, lower risk of infection cause sometimes bacteria tends to trap underneath the foreskin and if cleaning is not done properly will lead to UTI etc.

gumbokins

Is it really pain free for ur baby? Does he cry when doing the doc are doing it or when he pees, or when u changing diaper or during bath?

My son cried during the procedure but probably because he was being held down by the doc. He was given some local anaesthesia. After that he slept and during the 1 week till the plastibell fell off it did not seem to bother him much. I had to apply antiseptic on the wound and was recommend to bath him in salt water. Would honestly say that i was more traumatized by it than he was.

Triquetra

He cried during the procedure but stopped when the assistant carried him out.
On the first day cannot bath so better bath him first before going there to do the procedure.
Only given paracetemol and no local anaesthesia, clean with water from 2nd day onwards.
The ring will drop off after about 5 days. Was told to give paracetemol for 3 days incase bb is in pain and since he cannot tell.

hotmilktea

I just brought my boy to circumcise. Does everyone give the painkiller to their boy?
Did ur boy cry every time he urinate?

Triquetra

I just brought my boy to circumcise. Does everyone give the painkiller to their boy?
Did ur boy cry every time he urinate?
I dont know cause according to the staff, babies can cry for many reasons and you wont know whether it is due to pain.
So i just followed instruction and give for 3 days regardless of crying or not.

hotmilktea

I went to dr tahir too, but the nurses say give today only, tmr if he dun cry or seems ok then dun gv already. But that small bottle can last 3days, given that 1.5ml in every 6 hrs?

Btw, did ur boy cry everytime he pee? I gv my boy the painkiller at 11.30, till now 2 hrs later
He didn't cre yet, but he no pee, just poo only. I am worry he will cry at every pee

I dont know cause according to the staff, babies can cry for many reasons and you wont know whether it is due to pain.
So i just followed instruction and give for 3 days regardless of crying or not.

Triquetra

My baby has not pee since the circumcision at 10.30am, now is 2pm. Sld I be worry?
He normally pee a lot
How many wet diaper so far?
You breastfeeding? How is his feeding?
Dont worry, monitor first... usually I think bb just have diff frequency or pattern for drink/pee/poo.

Not sure about pain when pee cause my boy is always crying -.-"

hotmilktea

Thanx Triquetra.
I hv monitor the whole day. He finally pee at about 4pm and onwards.
He didn't cry when pee but whole day I can feel he is uncomfortable and not feeding well.
He is drinking EBM, until just now at night his appetite becomes slightly better. I also give him painkiller every 5.5hr instead of 6 so he wun be in pain when the pain killer wear off. I dun dare to see or change his diaper till now, my mum do it. I so lousy lah

How many wet diaper so far?
You breastfeeding? How is his feeding?
Dont worry, monitor first... usually I think bb just have diff frequency or pattern for drink/pee/poo.

Not sure about pain when pee cause my boy is always crying -.-"

hotmilktea

When I bath my baby today, can his birdy come in contact with the water and bath as usual?
I wun put any shower lotion in the water, just clean boiled lukewarm water.

Triquetra

When I bath my baby today, can his birdy come in contact with the water and bath as usual?
I wun put any shower lotion in the water, just clean boiled lukewarm water.
From 2nd day onwards, I started bathing my bb as per normal. On the 4th the ring seemed to come out a little then on the 5th day it dropped out.

hotmilktea

Does ur boy feel discomfort when the ring is about to drop and after it dropped?
I went back for review and doc say stop painkiller and gv later if he seems in pain when ring drop.
I also showed him some blood stains in the diaper he say is ok.

Now at hm everytime change diaper got some blood stains, is fresh blood not dried blood.
I m very worry coz it look painful to me. It let me regret why I let my hubby go with the idea, yet my hubby still very insist is good.

I hope the ring faster drop and my bot faster heal.

From 2nd day onwards, I started bathing my bb as per normal. On the 4th the ring seemed to come out a little then on the 5th day it dropped out.

flo

Does ur boy feel discomfort when the ring is about to drop and after it dropped?
I went back for review and doc say stop painkiller and gv later if he seems in pain when ring drop.
I also showed him some blood stains in the diaper he say is ok.

Now at hm everytime change diaper got some blood stains, is fresh blood not dried blood.
I m very worry coz it look painful to me. It let me regret why I let my hubby go with the idea, yet my hubby still very insist is good.

I hope the ring faster drop and my bot faster heal.
Had my boy circumcised two weeks ago after much thinking. Did it for hygene not religion. Actually been Chinese no one in our family has been done before so did not know what to expect, guess you are in same position.

I did it at crescent clinic. Had same experience as you. First day son was a bit restless, but pain killers made him sleep more than usual. Some blood on diper, but he did not seem to be in any pain. Was a bit red and swollen in the area of the ring for a few days. Cleared up very quickly and ring droped after a week when he was bathing, he did not seem to be in any pain when that happened. Looking back he cries about the same during the time he was recovering from the circumcision as he does now. Actually, I dont think he felt much pain although I did worry at the time.

After a lot of research I feel I did the right thing having my son circumcised, and will definitely do it a few weeks after birth if I have another boy. I have friends whose son got an infection at age 3 because he was not circumcised and that was far far worse. You did the right thing it will be much better in the long run.

Last edited:

gumbokins

I gv pain meds on the first 2 days only...he didnt seem to show much discomfort after that. Bathed him in warm salt water. There was a bit of spotting. I think the ring fell off on day 4 or 5 while i was changing his diaper. He didnt seem to notice anything.

When i brought him for the follow up one week later, i was telling the doc how red and painful the penis looked and he said that it was ok, that it is considered a minor surgery so will need time to heal.

Better to do when they are young and you can manage the wound easily..

Triquetra

I am chinese and it is my idea to have bb circumcized at 2 weeks.
Initially also feel kinda regret and everyone kept saying how mean I am to let such a small baby go through that.

I really feel it's better, pain wise I am told that the older they get the more painful it will be and the longer it will take to recover.

It's more hygienic thus lesser risk of having infections.

hotmilktea

Thanx all mummies for sharing with me. I guess my boy is taking it well, is just me not feeling right abt it.
I just hope the ring faster drop and wound faster heal. Is very stressful when I change his diaper and when bath coz he kicks very hard and I scare will touch the wound. There r still some blood on the diaper every now n then.

Sld be abt 3-4 more days hopefully since it was done on thursday

hotmilktea

Dear mummies

Thanx all for ur help in sharing. The ring drop on day 5, the wound seems a little raw but today is the 8th day, it heal completely.
I m sure my boy suffer some pain and discomfort during the procedure and the 1 week. but I am more affected by it as I dare not see or change diaper for him coz I scare I will hurt him. I will nvr go thru it again

flo

Hi

So the topic of circumcision has come up again at a party, my son is now almost 1 year and I had him circumcised just after birth. My first son is now 2 years and has not been circumcised. A lot of people seem to have done circumcision for their son for non religious reasons. I am leaning towards having my first son circumcised. Before I give my first son the snip I just want to ask mommys

1) has any one have done or have any opinion on doing a circumcision for purely health reasons?

2) At what age did you do?

3) Can it be done on a 2 year old or is it too late

Last edited:

DocsNemesis

Circumcision doesn't make it cleaner, its actually cleaner to be not circumcised. Baby's feel pain MORE than adults so it actually hurts baby more. That little piece of skin has more nerves than any other part of your boys body, it hurts a LOT when its done!

The whole being uncircumcised makes it less clean is a myth. There's no health benefits to circumcision, its considered a cosmetic procedure-in other words, its just for looks. Unless its done for religious reasons. I have 2 sons that aren't cut and my kids uncles aren't either and have no problems. My ex husband is circumcised and mad it was done.

C_Ang

Just being doing some research and found this in a recent site

The American Academy of Pediatrics announces its first major shift on circumcision in more than a decade, saying the health benefits clearly outweigh the risks, and that all newborn boys should be circumcised.