down syndrome test

apollo

My previous gynae charges about 200+ for the OSCAR and 450 or so for the amniotic fluid testing if the readings from OSCAR is shown risky. Actually VroomVroomBoys is pretty right about this test, for my case, my previous gynae literally bugs me to go for it, to the extend of even forcing hubby and i to choose between two dates to do the test. That's the reason why I chose to change gynae halfway through my pregnancy. My current gynae didn't force/ coax this test on me as he believes that my age is fine.
mind if i ask hw old r u?? my gynae also didnt "force" me to take cos she showed me the list and told me that the risk is v low...

hazchaz

today i went to KKH for ADC... everything is normal and fine except dat they detected a bit thicker skin at the back of the neck,i was told dat normally the measurement shud be 6mm,but my baby's is 6.6mm...so the doc strongly suggested i go for the Amniocentesis test...

i'm very depressed and worried and only God noes wat im feeling now....has any mothers actually experience this way b4...?

help... oh,btw, mine is 5months 1 week and im 24 dis yr... dis is my first baby after having 2 miscarriages last yr...

karoru

hazchaz, i m sorry to hear that... i have a colleague who is also need to do the same test as you but she have also given birth to a healthy and handsome baby in the end... things may not be as bad as it is... keep praying ya... GOD will protect his precious gift to you...

i went for my down syndrome test today in kkh, too... i was attended by dr kenneth wee and he is really approachable and assuring... thanks GOD that the result was positive, 1 in 2012... now waiting for the blood test... hopefully everything will turn out well, too...

100%

Alpha Male
Oh. my i didn't knew the test for Down syc is so expensive... My wife is currently into around 3 months and i heard they say test is better to have it down around this period.

However, our KKH referral appt is placed 1 month later which is May, by that time, our child should be 4 months already... that's why i arrange for my wife to go to Raffless Tampines this Friday to see if it can be done there 1st instead of waiting for so long... but now i see the price.. not sure if it's beter to wait till May. (><)

newbie2009

today i went to KKH for ADC... everything is normal and fine except dat they detected a bit thicker skin at the back of the neck,i was told dat normally the measurement shud be 6mm,but my baby's is 6.6mm...so the doc strongly suggested i go for the Amniocentesis test...

i'm very depressed and worried and only God noes wat im feeling now....has any mothers actually experience this way b4...?

help... oh,btw, mine is 5months 1 week and im 24 dis yr... dis is my first baby after having 2 miscarriages last yr...
Stay positive my dear, do not get too upset about the measurement, it only means that there is a higher probability of getting it. Its not a death sentence that you WILL get it. FYI, for the blood test, it will only give you in terms of a value (eg 1/XXXX), and that only means that your baby got a 1 out of XXXX babies to get it. So do not think too much ok.

CDL

Hey Hazchaz you need to stay positive for your baby. As some of the previous mummies have said, the scans and tests are not conclusive and the results are based on probabilities. If you were to read up and ask around, you will find that a number of mummies were worried about the results as well, but after the baby was born, the baby was found to have been perfectly normal!

I believe that if you are worried and anxious, your baby will "sense" it and that itself will affect your baby's well-being. You need to stay positive and happy for your baby.

I also had my baby at KKH and I fell into the category of having a baby with a "higher-risk" of Down's Syndrome. Doc advised us to go for the test but hubby and I decided that even if the baby was born with special needs, we would still accept and love her, so didn't go for the test and baby was fine perfectly fine.

BTW - no doctor can compel you to take any test that you choose not to. All doctors can do is to advise and encourage. In my view doing some of these tests and interpreting their results often causes more alarm and worry than is necessary.

So chin up and give your baby the best opportunity to develop into a happy and healthy baby by not worrying about something that you can't change but by staying healthy, happy and positive.

yakii

it starts with a normal scan, followed by a blood test... but costs me $325 in kkh... gosh!!!
My gynae actually wanted me to go for this too during my next visit. But at the age of 33 the chances of down syndrome is 0. sometime %. so which mean 99% still of normal. But i will go for the blood test and the detail scan at 20 weeks which is half the price.

karoru

my gynae gave us the option to go for it or not... although i am only 29 years old but feel safer to go for it... din know the price was so high till i got the phamplet... gosh!! heard from my colleagues who have a package with their gynae, only half price sia...

shiseru

I am 35 and I am supposed to opt for the invasive test & based on my maternal age, the risk is 1:3oo but my gynae said to proceed with OSCARS first. I just had my OSCARS last week. the combined test gave a result of 1:5000 so I did not opt for further invasive test.

However OSCARS is mere calculation of background risk, it doesn't mean baby has down syndrome. Still, it's heart aching when received such unfavourable news.

My gynae actually wanted me to go for this too during my next visit. But at the age of 33 the chances of down syndrome is 0. sometime %. so which mean 99% still of normal. But i will go for the blood test and the detail scan at 20 weeks which is half the price.
Hi yakii...
Wat do you mean by at age of 33, the chance of getting down syndrome is 0?
can share?
I am 34yrs old and this is my 1st baby!
Thkx million

yakii

Hi yakii...
what do you mean by at age of 33, the chance of getting down syndrome is 0?
can share?
Thkx million
cos of the age the gynae say the chance of having down syndrome is 0.095 percent. the older we r the higher the chance of having a down syndrome baby. But all this can ask ur gynae for advice. I dun want to spend so much for the test so i opt for the blood test and do the detail scan in order to see how the baby is growing. For this my gynae ask me to sign a form saying i am willing to take the risk. So far the gynae did the ultra scan to see the thickness behind the neck and the bridge of the nose and say i am on the safe range. But then got to go thru the detail scan to see wat the report say...hope all this helps.

newbie2009

Hi yakii...
what do you mean by at age of 33, the chance of getting down syndrome is 0?
can share?
Thkx million
Basically all these test is just an estimate of the probability of your baby getting down syndrome. Just like what other MTB have shared, generally as age increase, the chance to have a down syndrome baby is higher. However it does not mean that your baby will confirm be down syndrome.

Anyway just cheer up and enjoy your preggie.

ArDz

I'm gonna have the down syndrome test on this 14th July and its costing $321.
A test that they take blood sample plus a detailed scan of the foetus.
Hopefully everything is gonna be fine.

Aniwae those who are seeing gynaes in KKH, i belief if they advise U to take up the down syndrome test, there will be 3 packages .. wah, sound like going for holiday packages ya. One of the packages is $200++ but that dun include the blood test. The other one is having blood test and detailed scan at different period just slightly cheaper than mine.

Aniwae its up to each individual thinking which package to choose.

stonston

Question to ask yourself: will you still keep your child if he/she has down syndrome? If the answer is 'YES', then dun bother with the tests :)

ArDz

Well, everybody have their own opinions.
Some might say no or some might even say yes.
So the main point is each and everyone in this world have their own opinions and thinking.
If let's say some people say no to your the question, we can't say they have no hearts or self centred as they might have their own reasons behind it.

Coz I belief 99% of them who take this test wants an assurance that their baby is gonna be fine.
As for me who have face a miscarriage before, an assurance that my foetus is fine is better than anything else.

* Each & everyone of us have our views & thinking *

Last edited:

-SRI-

I did the test eventhough I was 22yrs old at the point of my pregnancy...
Yes, I told myself I'll luv my child no matter wat the results is...
Why I did the test? Like ArDz said for assurance... It's my 1st child so I more cautious... heee... And oso if my child is Special (thk God she's born normal & healthy.. :) ) , I can prepare myself mentally & emotionally & be ready to bear the heavy responsibility... Taking care of normal child is oredi a challenge wats more a Special ones... :)

Thank you, all MTB for answering my questions.
I have took the down
syndrome test on 15 June and pending for result.
It cost me S$220 excluding the detail scanning at East Shore Hospital.
The fee for detailed scanning will be S$110 and carrying out on 23 July, 2009.