easy & cheap recipes?

NIisme

im living in a rented room. owner is malay. so i cant bring anything that got pork back.
me myself dont really know how to cook. but need to save money for the upcoming baby, so need to cut down takeaway from coffee shop.

anyone knows any simple easy and cheap recipes can post over here?
those website recipes all said very easy but items needed all cost quite ex.

so hope you ladies can help. thanks.

Phoebii Cheng

I have one simple & cheap recipe:

Fish paste tofu

Buy fish paste from market or NTUC (S$1)
Tofu

Put the fish paste on top of tofu, no need to season cos fish paste oredi got salt......and steam, sprinkle spring onion and pepper to taste once ready

NIisme

any kind of reicpes also can. dont mind trying all types. not expensive can le.

and thanks the the fishpaste tofu reicpe. i love tofu foods. sure will try that.
=)

camom

U are allowed use of the fridge? I guess the non-pork food u buy needs to be halal as well? Then I'll suggest the following:

1) Steamed minced chicken + egg.

Ingredients
Minced chicken fillet - 2-3 pcs
Egg - 3

- Minced chicken fillet (u can buy 1 pkt fr NTUC and separate into 2-3 pkts for use). Season with salt, pepper and sesame oil to taste.
- Beat eggs. Add the meat to egg, mix well and pour onto deep dish to steam.
Variation: U can add frozen mixed veg to the egg mixture and steam together.

2) Fried Egg Tofu with minced meat sauce
Ingredients
Egg Tofu - 1 roll
Minced chicken - 2 pcs
Veg (broccoli florets or sweet peas or frozen mixed veg) - 1 cup
Minced garlic -1 clove
Mushroom sauce - Approx 2 tblsp
Water - I use approx 1/2 small rice bowl of water

- Cut 1 roll of egg tofu into approx 1 cm thick slices. Pan fry till golden. Remove from heat and drain well. Arrange on plate.
- Boil or steam veg till cooked. Arrange on plate with fried egg tofu.
- Saute minced garlic. Add minced meat and saute till loosened. Add mushroom sauce + water mixture. Cover till boiling.
- Turn off the heat and pour over veg & tofu.

3) Fried kuning (after cleaning, lightly season with salt. My mom always cut the heads and tails off, she says less oil is retained after frying in this way).

4) Fried egg omelete

5) Steamed veg with

6) Potato, Carrot & chicken soup

7) Salmon/chicken teriyaki don (purchase readymade teriyaki sauce from NTUC and cook with the meat)

8) Chawanmushi

9) Canned tuna with mayo, bread/veg salad

10) Canned sardines with onion, chilli

Are you anywhere near Woodlands? If yes, you can go to Fassler's factory at Woodlands to buy your salmon. It's much cheaper than buying from supermarkets (Fassler also supplies to the supermarts). I buy like 2-3 frozen vacuum pkts each time and it's abt $6 per pkt.

NIisme

Cook instant noodles + meat and vegetable. Cook porridge with meat and vegetable. Eat bread with jam.
i've been eatting instant noodles and porridge till i abit scare le.
but bread is still my love. =)

thanks for the sharing.

NIisme

you are allowed use of the fridge? I guess the non-pork food you buy needs to be halal as well? Then I'll suggest the following:

1) Steamed minced chicken + egg.

Ingredients
Minced chicken fillet - 2-3 pcs
Egg - 3

- Minced chicken fillet (you can buy 1 pkt fr NTUC and separate into 2-3 pkts for use). Season with salt, pepper and sesame oil to taste.
- Beat eggs. Add the meat to egg, mix well and pour onto deep dish to steam.
Variation: you can add frozen mixed veg to the egg mixture and steam together.

2) Fried Egg Tofu with minced meat sauce
Ingredients
Egg Tofu - 1 roll
Minced chicken - 2 pcs
Veg (broccoli florets or sweet peas or frozen mixed veg) - 1 cup
Minced garlic -1 clove
Mushroom sauce - Approx 2 tblsp
Water - I use approx 1/2 small rice bowl of water

- Cut 1 roll of egg tofu into approx 1 cm thick slices. Pan fry till golden. Remove from heat and drain well. Arrange on plate.
- Boil or steam veg till cooked. Arrange on plate with fried egg tofu.
- Saute minced garlic. Add minced meat and saute till loosened. Add mushroom sauce + water mixture. Cover till boiling.
- Turn off the heat and pour over veg & tofu.

3) Fried kuning (after cleaning, lightly season with salt. My mom always cut the heads and tails off, she says less oil is retained after frying in this way).

4) Fried egg omelete

5) Steamed veg with

6) Potato, Carrot & chicken soup

7) Salmon/chicken teriyaki dont (purchase readymade teriyaki sauce from NTUC and cook with the meat)

8) Chawanmushi

9) Canned tuna with mayo, bread/veg salad

10) Canned sardines with onion, chilli

Are you anywhere near Woodlands? If yes, you can go to Fassler's factory at Woodlands to buy your salmon. It's much cheaper than buying from supermarkets (Fassler also supplies to the supermarts). I buy like 2-3 frozen vacuum pkts each time and it's about $6 per pkt.

for sure i love your recipes and sure for me to try all this.
and too bad im too far from woodlands, as im staying at serangoon/hougang area.

thanks for the recipes with love. <3

Last edited:

Phoebii Cheng

Hi

You can try stir frying french beans with tou kwa and carrots, with oyster sauce

All the above ingredients costs abt S$2 frm supermarket, but frm market I think it would be cheaper

Laynee

'chap chye' is a one-dish meal that always works for me when I don't have time or just wanna keep it simple.

You can use chicken meat, mushrooms or fish cake with any veg like carrot, brocolli, capsicum, cabbage, snow peas etc.
Just fry a bit of garlic first in oil then season with oyster sauce and pepper. If u like gravy with your rice, can also add in a beaten egg at the end with some water.

Yummy :biggrin:

NIisme

Hi

You can try stir frying french beans with tou kwa and carrots, with oyster sauce

All the above ingredients costs about S$2 frm supermarket, but frm market I think it would be cheaper
what is french beans?
can i change to long beans? cos i only dare to eat long beans.

'chap chye' is a one-dish meal that always works for me when I dont't have time or just wanna keep it simple.

You can use chicken meat, mushrooms or fish cake with any veg like carrot, brocolli, capsicum, cabbage, snow peas etc.
Just fry a bit of garlic first in oil then season with oyster sauce and pepper. If you like gravy with your rice, can also add in a beaten egg at the end with some water.

Yummy :biggrin:
everything into one.. prefect dish for me. thanks sweetie.

diymummy

You can cook one pot of chicken stew or beef stew and eat over a few days.

Or you can fry a vege with meat and eat with mee sua soup.

Or ginger + spring onion beef or chicken

Or canned mushroom + chicken + fish ball soup

Or potatoes + chopped luncheon meat (you can buy chicken based one) + baked beans

Those are some of the few I have up my sleeves for now.

camom

Stews! Forgot all about them.

1) Stewed taupok, tau kwa with chicken wings.

2) Chicken stew with potato & carrot

3) Wantons (soup or deep fried)
You can make wantons too using minced chicken + prawns + waterchestnuts. Very versatile, can deep fry or cook in soup. If you are interested, I can post the recipe here, it's from Violet Oon with some changes of my own.

4) My all time lazy food.... Chicken Rice, using commercial chicken rice sauce from Chng Kee to cook the rice, marinating chicken mid joints wings with Asian Gourmet's Thai Aromatic Grill (Kai Yang) overnight and grilling the chicken in toaster oven. Serve with raw cucumber and tomato slices. All these can be bought in NTUC.

5) Pan Fried chicken breasts
I just tried out this recipe on my siblings last weekend. Got good reviews for it. We had fried chicken breast meat that was marinated in soya sauce, chopped spring onion, pepper, sesame oil, coated with a little bit of plain flour, dipped into 1 beaten egg, coated again with crushed cornflakes, and pan fried. Remember to rest the coated chicken breast for a few min before u fry it. To crush cornflakes, just pour the cornflakes into a ziplock bag, seal it and roll a rolling pin over the cereal. I used 1 25g box of cornflakes to coat 1 chicken breast.

Last edited:

camom

U can fry egg omelette with canned button mushrooms or fresh shitake mushrooms. Other variations are egg omelette with onions or fresh white bait or hotdog.

diymummy

I also bought tau pok before, cut in half halfway and stuff marinated minced pork into them and fry them...

Or you can buy the Yong Tau Fu ingredients and cook soup and eat with rice or fry the ingredients with XO sauce...

venusstephen

Here I am giving very cheap and easy recipe of fried rice. This recipe is very easy to cook and also time saving.For this you need 1blow of boiled rice, butter, onions, black pepper powder, tomato and black soya sauce. Put butter on pan, after that onions. Bake onions until it's turn of pink color. Now mix salt,black pepper powder, tomato and black soya sauce. In the end put boiled rice. Mix all the ingredients properly. Delicious and yummy fried rice is ready to eat.I am sure you will find this recipe very cheap and easy also.

lekdao

You can try cooking seafood soup to go with rice, noodles or mee sua.

seafood soup ingridents:-

1. get 1 whole ang zho (red snapper) fish, get them to remove the bone.
2. chicken hot dogs or mini chicken wu xiang (can get from yong tau fu store)
3. Chicken breast meat or whole chicken thigh
4. veg - such as cubbage (cheap).
5. Prawns (get those medium (small) size, 0.5kgs abt 25 pcs) - optional
6. Sotong - optional

boil a big pot of yellow beans + ikan billis stock for soup base. IF u wanna more cost saving, just use yellow beans. If you hv the fish bone, can use it to cook stock is very good for breastfeeding mums.

the above ingridents can let you cook for a few meals.

AugBoyz

3 eggs+wolfberry (gou ji) leaves?

Ingredients
- 1 packet of gou ji leaves (cost abt $2 i think fm supermarket)
- 1 century egg
- 1 salted egg
- 1 chicken egg

the century & salted eggs comes in pack of 4 in super market, forgot the price of each. I bought my salted eggs in loose from my neighbourhood wet market forgot the price too (ok ok i m not very good with remembering the price haha!)

Steps
- cook the salted egg in boiling water, cut into half, use a teaspoon to scope out the egg
- peel the century eggs n dice it
- heat up the wok, throw in the gou ji leaves, add a little bit of water then throw in half a cube of chicken stock (u can skip the chicken stock cube if u want)
- beat the chicken egg with some water n put into the wok to simmer with the gou ji leaves
- throw in the salted egg n century egg to cook for a while
- if u want u can throw in a small handful of gou ji

Remember the gou ji leaves cooks very fast so dun over cook it. No need to add any salt or seasoning as the eggs already have some taste.