EDD Sept 2012 mummies!

Lingz12

yeah tat's wat I tot too.. all e books said milk should still be their main diet and they are jus exploring with solid food now.. she used to take 4milk feeds a day.. now sometimes 3.. so the paranoid me make it up by giving her a dream feed sometimes as late as 12am so tat she still has 4milk feeds a day.. Ha! Now wondering what should be the correct way.. hmm..

yeah.. maybe I should feed her milk first then solid.. I do it the other way now cos I fed her solid in between milk feeds, like a snack.. but after tat snack she dropped her next milk feed.. :( but after feeding her milk, wun she be too full for the solid food?

rosemummy

Hi Mummies,

I don't drop any milk feed too.
I spoon feed cereal with milk for noon and feed balance milk.
For dinner, I spoon feed Puree when I back from work and feed milk.
Milk can be slightly lesser when I gave solid food. (for eg. 180 usual , i will give 150 ml milk instead)
Yes I think milk still the most important.
Not feeding meat until 8 month when he is ready.
I bought Baby Millet powder. Will try next week.
My baby is 7 months old now :)
He sleeps 8 pm and wakes up for one feed 2 or 3 am.
Sometimes he wakes up at 11 pm for last feed which is good cos he may sleep through to 5 or 6 am when I am ready to get ready for work!
Preparing him for IFC really is a lot of work. Plenty to wash, pack to ensure he has everything before I can be assured to go work!:)

thanks reiann.. tink I will try one food at a time then..

mummies, wen u serve solid food (other than cereal and porridge), do ur babies drop one milk feed? as in, does tat solid food replace one meal? wen I feed her pumpkin, she skipped a milk feed.. but pumpkin served is like onli 2.5oz.. she usually take abt 5oz milk.. pumpkin more filling than milk? recently I serve her apples and pears at night wen I got home and she skipped her last feed.. so her last milk feed will be at 6pm instead of 10pm but she will wake up at 2+am for milk though..

Piglim

Lingz, I fed my baby one type of food at a time until he turned 6mths when I decided to combined two types of food.

utt, apparently cereal n porridge are two different things (according to my pd) she says that cereal means just add water/milk. Those instant kind where u can buy off the shelve. Porridge is cooked. For me I have been feeding my son freshly made porridge since this wk. wasn't as difficult as I thought. N he seems to love it better than the frozen rice porridge which I made for him for 1mth! For those who are working, (like myself) I suggest u can do this:

at ard 10-11pm, u blanched the pork rib (small portion), take four milk scoop of rice (wash thoroughly). Throw the rice n the rib into the slow cooker (I am using takahi 1.2litre slow cooker) add hot water to 3/4 of the pot n turn to auto setting. The rice will b very soft the next day. This is slightly more than 2 serving. Each serving I scoop out 12 tablespoons of porridge and add things like steam fish n a veg (blended into purée form). U can put the other serving into a thermo flask n bring to infantcare get the teachers to feed ur child.

Milk should not b dropped but according to my pd, becos she feels my boy is not drinking enough milk (could b dislike?) she says feed more porridge.
This is my time table

9:30am - porridge
10:40 -shower
11am - 80ml milk
3/4pm- 150ml milk
6pm- porridge
6:40pm-shower
7pm- 80ml milk
8:30pm - munching of fruits (he loves plum cos I think it's cold out from the fridge n his teething?)
9pm- latch
11:30pm-latch
2;30am- latch
4am- latch
6am -latch
7:30/8am- latch

actually from 2:30am to 6am he just suck for like 5mins
I am also worried cos he's not drinking alot like when I read u gals r feeding ur babies... Gotta train him to drink more man.
My stupid mil kept trying to b smart Alex says eat porridge full Le no need milk. €~>?{€{*{~!

Think I will hv prob weaning him off my breast...

ahwang

Piglim, just curious are u a working mum ? My boy infant care will have porridge for him. Thank god ! So the porridge slow cook the whole night ? Will that be very high consumption of electricity ?
Looking at ur schedule ur bb wakes a few times at night to suck ? Mine too and is driving me mad . He typically wakes ard 130-2 for milk. The slp again for another 1.5-2hr and wakes again need some patting to slp. The ard 430 he will be wide awake talking n playing. Sometimes he don't go back to slp and stay awake for a gd 2-3hrs. By then I have to get him ready for sch and he gets tired n grouchy.
Still tackling with his night waking ..grumpy mummy ranting again.

ahwang

Mummies apart from milk still being their primary source of nutrients. Next in line is it porridge or cereal ? If yes how many times of porridge or cereal u feed? 3 times a day ? Then how to incorporate vege or fruits in assuming if I have yet to mix them ? Find like so many things for them to eat, but can't slot into their day.
If I feed him cereals 3 meals a day, in between already give milk already, how to add on vege or fruits ? Unless I feed cereals 2 times a day and then one time of vege or fruits

reiann

Ahwang - I don't believe in feeding cereal. There is some info online to show that its not necessary. There are so many more nutrient packed food. I guess the point of solids now is to get baby used to different taste, so a large range o food is ideal but at same time must be able to be handled by baby's delicate system. Also, whatever food baby has must be as nutritious as possible. When they are slightly older then can eat more starchy food with less nutrients without too much worry. Hence, I don't give cereal unless I can't help it.

So for example I have her half avocado for breakfast, then remaining half with banana lunch, dinner tonight will be sweet potato and apple. I haven't given cereal as a full meal on its own since day 1 of solids. I do add some instant rice cereal to some food, eg puréed baked butternut squash, add some rice cereal to make it even more filling.

Lingz : eventually I will feed food first and gradually reduce amount of milk. Already my supply is dropping.

Piglim: I don't really know how much milk I give too as I latch when I can. When I work I may only express 100ml sometimes less if no let down. But I know that when baby latches, she definitely gets more than 100ml as I can feel let down and her sucking is v strong now.

Piglim

Ah wang, yes I m a working mum. Work from 9am - 730pm. Ya... Long hours huh? Anw my mil take care of my son so she does the feeding. Initially I let her feed only the morning session, the night session I feed. But I changed the routine this wk cos I didn't want my son to always wait for me to return home n have supper instead. Hmm check what kinda porridge e infantcare gives. I dunno if u r able to provide ur own porridge cos fish like thread fin is the best for babies (and its expensive so I doubt infantcare give threads in fish?) yes my son wakes up so often.. I m now used to it. ;)

rosemummy I steam the fish separately. For me, cos my morning very right, I'll steam the fish midnight, wait for it to cool n blend then keep in the fridge. When wanna feed, I steam alittle while to warm up before adding to the porridge. For pumpkin I roast it n blend it. And same I'll portion it n put in the fridge so every day my so. Will hv different kind of porridge. Yesterday fish n brocolli, today fish n pumpkin, etc. I don't slow cook the "Liao" with my porridge overnight is I think it'll lose all the nutrients. I only slow cook the rice with a pork rib. (And I don't feed the pork rib-it's just for the taste) as for electricity consumption... I dunno Le.. But it's a small pot... Don't think it can b that high? I don't have a choice anyway cos I prefer to cook it myself instead of asking my mil to do it (cos I don't trust her anyway)

like reiann, I don't believe in cereal too cos if I can make my food on my own why buy it? I m sure those things u can by off the shelve have added preservatives or whatever.. So I try not to give my son... Only unless I m travelling with him (come April! It'll b our first trip to KL! Doing a test travelling for this short distance flight before we head to PERTH in June) ;))) hope I m not being to adventurous! ;)))

ah Wang, go with ur mother instinct. For me I fed my son once a day of plain porridge for a wk, then slowly move on to twice a day plain porridge.. Then 3rd week I went on to giving him food like carrot purée..etc. do feed ur child the same food for 4 days so as to test if he has allergy to it before moving on to another new food. Once u feel ur son is more or less comfortable eating..(ur observation) then u can try mixing things like apple with carrot..etc.

start slow. I think if u suddenly give him 3 times a day abit xiong Le! Oh anw when u start its just to INTRODUCE food to him not REPLACING ur milk. So I gave only 1 tablespoon. Then slowly add 2 table spoons. Don't force ur child of he doesn't like it... Try again the next day. :)

i would recommend u to buy the Philip avent blender cum steamer. Initially i didn't wanna get any of these extra stuff. Cos I alrdy hv a pot which I can steam n a separate blender... But u will b thankful for this invention cos it's soooo convenient fast n easy. ESP for working mums! Go search n read the review! I blend my fish n meat using that.

ahwang

Hmm.. he started off 4 days of cereal once a day. Recently moved to twice a day. It's just his first wk so far. He's eating okay, teacher feed him 2 tablespoon and his milk consumption did not really decrease. Guess cos he's a big baby ? 8 kg at 23weeks? I still think cereal or porridge shld be the main cos its carbohydrate that baby or rather human shld get most of their diet from. Just like adults have rice, noodles etc. Ya...I will go with his flow, probably reduced cereal and add on vege n fruits ! I thought of the Philip blensder too but cos I decided to prepare his food once a wk and freeze them so guess not necesasary. Ya but I agree its Damn useful ans fast. Piglim I admire ur effort. The night wakes sometimes really got into me, though I'm also used to it more or less.. but I just don't wanna give up in getting him slp thru the nit , still finding ways n exploring what's wrong. I wonder if he will ever start sleeping thru, cos mummy so tired esp when sick.

Kary2500

My bb had her sixth month jabs yday And she's 7.75 kgs now... I started my bb with plain rice cereal too even though I read so much about it really not being necessary. But for me my mil was insisting on giving her things that I didn't approve of as first food so just bought this and started her with that. She is ok with carrot, sweet potato and apple purée, I tried rice porridge from Monday till Wednesday and she hated it. Made really weird faces and spat out almost everything I forcefed her, till the extent that she would cry cos I was feeding her. I'm not gonna quit cos I want her to start eating it so gonna try rice with veges and see if she's ok with that. She absolutely loves cereal and can just eat how much ever I feed her.

Now after starting her on cereal for dinner she's sleeping a lot more :)) she eats dinner at 6:30 in bed by 8 - 8:30 and then wakes up the first time at 2 or 3 and then it's 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs after that.. And ya piglim even I think I'm gonna have problem weaning her off my breast, she refuses the pacifier completely now.

reiann

Kary-- don't ever force feed!!! It will only put your baby off eating. Just pretend to eat it and go hmmmm! Yummy! Make smacking noises. But if she rejects, then don't push it.

Ohhhhh piglim yes I love the Philips Avent steamer blender!!! I also didn't want to get any, initially, as I already have a kitchen blender etc. but still troublesome. This one is just amazing. So so easy. Makes food prep so fun too!!
m

ahwang- the main form of carbs is still bm or formula. Cereal is popular cos its bland and more readily accepted as a first food when starting solids.

magpie

My son hates cereal! Loves veg puree store bought. Stopping cereal for time being. Will try again maybe next week. Anyone else with cereal haters?

WBRhino

Ya mine also hate cereal and rice powder :( . I have to mix with fruit puree or vegy, the smash one. Dun know how other babies with Heinz food but to my son seem so sour the fruit and juice. However mix them with powder and cereal just nice. Only vanilla egg custard is his no.1 "lover" :p

magpie

My son, master of fake cries has now discovered he can fake the laugh too! Old jokes and funny faces dont amuse him much, but maybe he doesnt want to disappoint. 'Keep trying mommy' it seems!

Uttmama

Magpie: that's so cute. My son also seems to learn the smirk look which is hilarous for us adults.

I recently find it increasingly hard to do diaper change. My son goes berserk when we lie him on his back after shower. He will try to flip and fidget around all the time and ends up very frustrated. Other mummies experiencing the same?? Seems like he can no longer be changed on a changing table

Lingz12

yeah! my girl too! can never change her diaper peacefully now.. if she's flat on her back she will be grabbing the diaper or the box of cotton wool im using to wipe her buttock.. if she cant grab anything, she will be flipping over.. if I hold on to her legs tightly, she will still twist her body in her attempt to flip.. she jus wun give up.. then after a while she will scream in frustration like complaining y im taking so long to change her.. It's a battle everytime..

Piglim

Hahaha... Yeah... I think our babies (n the mummies) r all going thru the same thing... Hahah
my son now has another lower tooth growing (that makes two!) n goosh it's now a phobia breastfeeding him cos I dunno when he'll bite! N he does this out of fun sometimes... N I think it's feeling irritating for him so he always bite his upper lips using his lower teeth (and make the ah pek look) damn funny.

Diaper changing is like clowning time for me.. I will make all kinda stupid noises/sound/face just to catch his attention before he starts flipping ard crawling fast grabbing things.

Mummies any nice receipe to share? My son didn't like the sweet potato brocolli though.. He hates apple n avocado... Maybe I should try peach n pear? How bout papaya? Anyone tried that?

reiann

oh no, piglim! haha my girl does NOT like parsnip. but I added it a little into sweet potato and carrot, and she didn't notice it, ha ha.

try avocado with banana?
try butternut squash? roast it then puree? really yummy
I have tried peas and zucchini, not bad. very green but really quite yummy.

or, the sure winner is apple and something like sweet potato. apples are sweet... if not, try pears.