Epidural or no epidural? And why??

CanCanMum

Just curious to know, why is it too late? Does the drug take a long time to take effect?
nope coz u r supposed to stay very very still when they inject epi....and when u r painful u will shift around mahh...hahahha~~

it must be precise and once and for all.

jal

???? chey i thought you are angmoh so i purposely wrote beta english (lols) :Dancing_tongue:

my guideline laaaa....you try first see how lorrr....still can ask for epi later ya...

the lauffing gas only stops 25% of pain i heard from my buddy jan84...and you wil have blackout.
Blackout? How do you push after that?

CanCanMum

Blackout? How do you push after that?
dunno lols~~~must ask january84 liaooo but shes busy laahhh hahhah~~~seldom see her onlinez

i din take those laughing gas and injection on thigh one coz nurse says its useless....:p

fiza

I've read somewhere saying backache is not the cause of using epidural. It is because your position when you carrying things o sitting down is not the right way. I had 3 kids, all epi so far everytg okay, no serious backache. Maybe age also play apart when you have a backache.
Hi,

Just wanna share some info. I work in a medical line somewhere in Paragon. Sometime back, I asked an anaesthetist in our medical group this question - "Dr, does having epidural during delivery makes you have backaches in future?" And he replied "It's a myth, it has not been medically proven that epidural causes backaches.. the backaches could have started by carrying the baby for 9 months... And never think that epidural causes backache..."

Hope this bust the myth that epidural causes backache! :wink:

stonston

The epi is IMMEDIATE RELIEF! honestly, no regrets for me! maybe 2nd 1 i'll try no epi (cos usualli 2nd child deliver faster so can consider).

Actually my gynae did say my threshold of pain quite high cos got a few v big contractions shown on screen, he tot i'll double over in pain but i was still happily smiling and saying "wah! my tummy so tight again ar"

and i love those super painful food massages :p
mine at 4cm dilation I din feel any pain, only discomfort :p it was onli ard 5cm then the pain realli kicked in :p

princessminn

I took epi after enduring for 5hrs...
tt freaking menstrual cramps is so uncomfy.
my whole body is basically wriggling aro...
at 1st i din wan epi,hubby din wan me to take oso...
but after 5hrs of enduring,i ask hubby if i can take,he told mi is up to mi.
He see mi wriggling n so uncomfortable,he allow mi to make my own decision.
so i took epi.

once i took epi,no more uncomfy feeling!!!!
i still manage to take a short nap.:001_302:

i feel it doesn't mean u take epi u'll suffer backaches in e future.
i used to have backaches every now n then b4 i was preggy becoz i used to do chinese dance n i might have hurt my back unknowingly.

if u can tahan,then tahan.
if cant,better choose to take epi,if not i tink u'll not have e energy to push ur baby out.

i tot bills will be higher coz i took epi plus i was on antibiotics due to heart problem,but no.
in fact,i still get 500++ cash back from kkh.=)

CanCanMum

yeah yeah my whole body is wriggling.....and i asked for epi when i canx tahan but they said too late lols~~~

if ever i have another kid (not at the moment) will go for epidural coz once is enuf hahahah~~~~

snowbear

I was quite insistent on not taking epi at first. But i took epi after enduring for 8hrs. Was on the gas initially. The midwives kept coming in to chk whether i needed epi coz my contractions were super strong and close but dilation was super duper slow. I dilated 2cm in the morning before gynae burst the waterbag (I was induced). After 8 hours, the midwife said i only dilated 1 more cm. It didn't feel like a menstrual cramp at all! It's far more painful... Anyway that was the last straw n i asked for epi. I just couldn't imagine going thru hrs of such pain any longer. 3cm seemed too far from 10cm at that moment... Anyway after epi, i dilated 2 more cm and was stuck there again. In the end, i had to have emergency c-sect.... Anyway, do keep your options open! Anything can happen in the delivery room... :)

Astar

Before delivery, I was soooo sure I will not sucumb to using epi, ended up, when my contractions meter hit 50 (3cm dilated), I was already on the verge of givin up. Cannot imagine the contractions going to hit 90/100 before baby can come out.

Screamed for the epi after 20mins and never regret it. I also thought the process of admistering the epi will be painful, however, I dont't feel a thing (cos they also numb the back) first. Labour was then a breeze! I sooo love epi. I cannot imagine the pain from the stitching too if I were to go without epi.

Taking epi does not make anyone a bad mummy.. All mummies are wei da ! jia you

Jenni

I have seen mummies who delivered without epidural also facing on backaches after few yrs .. i think it also depends on how much rest you have taken after delivery ..
We are not supposed to carry heavy things atleast for 6 mths ..
One more thing what I heard is we are supposed to take calcium pills even after delivery which prevents backaches in future .. any one can clarify? :err:
One of my friend recently told me not to take epidural .. but whats the point if I am suffering from very bad pain during labour .. if i have choice to take epidural i would surely do ...
Women crossing 35 have chances of having backache not necessarily need to take epidural ... :wideeyed:
Its our choice dear.. dont worry too much about what ppl say ..
Hi,

I agreed, After deliver really need a gd rest, have to lie on bed to rest more, when i deliver my ger, i take the epidural due to can't endure the pain (maybe induce is more pain due to the med use) I don't rest well after delivery and keep having backache now. My cousic which didn't take the epidural also suffer from backache coz she do her confinement herself without any help and any gd rest so she tell me even she didn'e take the epidural, she also suffer from backache.

After delivery really need a gd rest, this time round i will rest well lie on bed and don't care abt anything haha.

meiteoh

???? chey i thought you are angmoh so i purposely wrote beta english (lols) :Dancing_tongue:*just joking*

my guideline laaaa....you try first see how lorrr....still can ask for epi later ya...
:tlaugh:

No no, this is nyonya/hokkien-hakka cha boh from Malaysia... :Dancing_tongue:

Yeah, will definitely try and see how first. My pain threshold varies though - some days, can tahan, some days...Panadol is my best friend. :001_302:

JazN

for me my gynae advised me for laughing gas but i went straight for epidural as everything is chargeable. Fortunately i made the right choice as while i was waiting for the doc to give the shot i was already 'complaining' why it was taking such a long time for doc to come when it was i think 10-15mins

For me, was given epidural once i went into labour ward (like only 1cm -_-)
super low tolerance of pain. Gynae actually recommend me to go for epi also, cus she see me machiam very poor thing like that, only 1cm then sobbing like mad, and she want me to have a gd rest so that later got energy to push.

I rmb it works something like drip. Cus total i was inside labour ward 15hrs, then they change the drip and epi 2 times. I was on quick a heavy dosage, den legs were totally numb and kept on vomitting. They did reduce for me in between. Then increase, when the pain comes back.

mrsmorgan

Hi,

Just wanna share some info. I work in a medical line somewhere in Paragon. Sometime back, I asked an anaesthetist in our medical group this question - "Dr, does having epidural during delivery makes you have backaches in future?" And he replied "It's a myth, it has not been medically proven that epidural causes backaches.. the backaches could have started by carrying the baby for 9 months... And never think that epidural causes backache..."

wow! if it's really true then all e mummies don't hav to worry too much abt epi anymore and just decide to take it or not when e time comes! heh :Dancing_tongue:

BbpHir3

wahz.. within few hours niaz tis topic jump to third page liaoz......
whether epi or not.. juz make sure it's your own decision n "enjoy" the process of giving birth.... wahahaha......

mrsmorgan> i din even have the chane to jab the p-something painkiller... i only used the gas mask.. cuz apparently after 4cm dilate den cannot jab liaoz....

mrsmorgan

wahz.. within few hours niaz tis topic jump to third page liaoz......
whether epi or not.. just make sure it's your own decision and "enjoy" the process of giving birth.... wahahaha......

mrsmorgan> i did not even have the chane to jab the p-something painkiller... i only used the gas mask.. cuz apparently after 4cm dilate then cannot jab liaoz....
so did e gas work for u??

nadmunzuh

Hi,

I totally agree w fiza.:Dancing_wub:

The only side effects of epidural is after the medicine has wear off. U will tend to shiver, teeth clattering and sometimes mild pain on your spine from the injected epi.

sugarcookie

For me, I experienced shivering when I was given epi. But the shivering only lasted about 15mins and it was more like trembling. I also vomited a few times but the nausea was nothing compared to morning sickness.

When the epi wore off after delivery, I started feeling really sick but the nurse gave me anti-nausea medication (via drip) and the nausea disappeared.

uddermummy

i had laughing gas, pethidine, general anaesthesia and finally epidural. Wha piang!

When i was first admitted, i had laughing gas but hated the plasticky smell.

Then i had to go for emergency c section, and that's when they gave me all 3!!!

after the epidural, i suffered from whole body itch and was shivering violently for about half an hour. The itch lasted 1 day. Mine friend's itch lasted a few days. The gynae gave us meds to cope with the itch.

pethidine does cross over the placenta to the bb so bb might be drowsy. mums who want to bf should avoid pethidine.

as for epidural, it's better to have it wear off towards the end of the labour so that you can feel where to push towards.

one side effect of epidural is that it can cause sudden low blood pressure, which is why they will insist on strapping you and monitoring you.

but can choose mobile/walking epidural, you can just take the drip with you and walk.