Epidural?

Ting

IMHO, i feel tt labour pain is something u can only go thru a couple of times in your life..
perhaps only once if u intend to hv only one child..
so why not experience it?? i mean, its part of life too.
not like our grandparent times (or older) that they give birth up to ten kids..

shiyi

omg you're tempting me to go for epi.. hahaha :tlaugh:
yup i agree labour pain is sthg we shd exp once in a lifetime.. told myself to endure not to use pain relief but my contractiions are really so intense and dilation was so slow =\

NursMama

i almost did it without epi the first time round... got fully dilated and the laughing gas works for me!!! but then still kena emergency csect lehh :nah:

Ting

yup i agree labour pain is sthg we should exp once in a lifetime.. told myself to endure not to use pain relief but my contractiions are really so intense and dilation was so slow =\
actually my dilation was very slow too.. when i admit in, alr dilated i think 1-2 cm.. n it took 13 hrs ro be fully dilated enuf to deliver.. but lucky for me perhaps is no pain til the 12th hr.. n doc had to give me meds to induce the contraction.

stupidyeye

actually my dilation was very slow too.. when i admit in, already dilated i think 1-2 cm.. n it took 13 hours ro be fully dilated enuf to deliver.. but lucky for me perhaps is no pain til the 12th hr.. n doc had to give me meds to induce the contraction.
wahhhhhhhhhh..den i must say i consider lucky liao..hahas...my contraction starts to be unbearable is wre aft doc burst my waterbag..n dat is at 4+am..n my boi 9+am pop:tlaugh:

ikastaatsmann

I took EPI after 13 hrs labour, i actly survived 9 hrs and tried the stupid laughing gas, ewww, that thing did nothing to me, useless.!! i didnt ask for pethidine after that, coz i tot it will b wasted too, so i straight away asked for EPI coz i cant tahan sia!!! I first tot of going without EPI, but ladiesssss, this EPI is a big help! things got so much easier n dilated faster, i didnt regret at all!! I only shivering a bit, and after birth i vomit and let all out, haha..that was all the side effects...but a bit drowsy for 2 , 3 days after, but i think that was from e pain killer.

annie

Ting, our delivery story sounds so super similar lol. mine also waterbag burst then admit to hospital.. but then i wasnt even dialted at all! n its painless.. i just lie there n wait.. till 8hrs later only 2cm dialted and doc also give me some medicine to inject into my drip to induce my contraction after 8hrs.. then after tat everything went so fast n so pain! think he started to induce me around 11am.. then stupidly he clear my bowels AFTER tat! then i stuck in the toilet lol. cannot move cos the poo keep coming out n i so painful.. i thought jumpy will come out in the toilet bowl lol. finally after i leave toilet, they wheel me to the delivery room and jumpy is out after 3 pushes.. so no time for epi.. she came out at 12noon lol. i wish my 2nd one also like this. faster come out. pain once n for all in the 1 hr lol

mrsmorgan

my sis-in-law's story even more interesting.. waterbag broke but no contractions.. once admitted, was put on epi.. no contractions yet use epi! :err:

Ting

Ting, our delivery story sounds so super similar lol. mine also waterbag burst then admit to hospital.. but then i wasnt even dialted at all! n its painless.. i just lie there n wait.. till 8hrs later only 2cm dialted and doc also give me some medicine to inject into my drip to induce my contraction after 8hrs.. then after that everything went so fast n so pain! think he started to induce me around 11am.. then stupidly he clear my bowels AFTER that! then i stuck in the toilet lol. cannot move cos the poo keep coming out n i so painful.. i thought jumpy will come out in the toilet bowl lol. finally after i leave toilet, they wheel me to the delivery room and jumpy is out after 3 pushes.. so no time for epi.. she came out at 12noon lol. i wish my 2nd one also like this. faster come out. pain once n for all in the 1 hr lol

the doc also inject the med but, doesnt seem to work! he keep increasing n increasing n i keep saying no feeling.. haha think he fed up n ask to increase to max then slowly the contractions came.:shyxxx:

annie

during the 8hrs, doc keep asking me if i feel pain but i keep saying no feeling. but after he inject the med into the drip to induce me, the pain comes almost immediately! then clear my bowels.. tats crazy... lol

allycat

I had epi for all my births but lao si was in such a hurry to come to this world, he couldnt wait for the epi to take effective!!! So I ended up experiencing the real action and labour pain, and of cos, wasted my money for the epi :(

I had epi for all my births but lao si was in such a hurry to come to this world, he couldnt wait for the epi to take effective!!! So I ended up experiencing the real action and labour pain, and of cos, wasted my money for the epi :(
Hi Allycat,

How many cm dilated were u when you took epi for baby #4? or was ur labour for the fourth baby very fast?

Littlemoomoo

iwan2noe

wow no epi!! hope i'll be as strong as you.. how long was your labour? :err:
hmm, mine labour in all was ard an hr but this does not include theonset og contraction until my cervix dilate enuff fit labour ... Hee..
Hubby keeps telling me to take Epi bug I didn't until when he ask my Gynae whether I can take, Gynae say it's too late as I was 7 cm dilated alr.. Hee;)

WinnieL

I was in labour for about 5 hours before I went into the delivery ward. At that time, I was only 3cm dilated, but the pain was so great, I was squirming around like a worm already. Couldn't take it any more. The laughing gas didn't help much. And if I had taken the jab, the effects would last only 2-3 hours, and I'd have to wait for 6 hours after that before I can take epidural. So I asked for epidural straight away. I think it was a good thing I got it, cos it allowed me to relax, and helped in my dilation. Within 4 hours, I was fully dilated. Then the gynae halved the epidural dosage, so I can feel the contraction and push.

I didn't have much backache, and 6 hours after delivery, I made myself walk, but made sure that I didn't feel dizzy before doing so.

I think the epidural really helped me. Without it, I don't think I'll be able to take the pain... I still had 7cm dilation to go!

canisque

wow. reading all the posts makes me wonder whether I'll really need the epidural or not. I'm still contemplating and waiting for the day itself to see if I can cope with the pain. can i ask, how does contraction really feel like?

CanCanMum

wow. reading all the posts makes me wonder whether I'll really need the epidural or not. I'm still contemplating and waiting for the day itself to see if I can cope with the pain. can i ask, how does contraction really feel like?
2 cm = slight menstrual crampy feeling

4 cm = still bearable menstrual crampy feeling

6 cm = very intense menstrual cramps + diarrhea feeling

8 cm = all the pains from 6 cm turns into sharp stabbing pains, so much so tat it makes u want to push out/khek sai feeling

10cm = pushing the pain all the way YAY ~~~~once u can bear past 8cm, u r FREE~~~~

Last edited:
2 cm = slight menstrual crampy feeling

4 cm = still bearable menstrual crampy feeling

6 cm = very intense menstrual cramps + diarrhea feeling

8 cm = all the pains from 6 cm turns into sharp stabbing pains, so much so that it makes you want to push out/khek sai feeling

10cm = pushing the pain all the way YAY ~~~~once you can bear past 8cm, you r FREE~~~~

Haha:tlaugh:, this is a gd way of describing it... I hope I be able to go thru it :001_302: