Everyone telling me my milk supply is low n to use formula :(

Hi mummies, I need advice .. My inlaws, masseuse and parents keep telling me my milk supply is low n to use formula as baby is constantly hungry n rooting . It's pretty disheartening to not have the support I need, but currently baby is 7 days old and always hungry ! Could they be right ? Baby always passes out very loose stools after feeding ..

When pumping I only get roughly 1oz on a good day for both breasts, not each .. I wish to exclusively bf my daughter, I'll do anything that really works !

P.S: I'm suffering from sore & cracked nipples, could it be a problem ?

ecila23

There is stool meaning bb is feeding but no harm giving some formula la because I did that to minimize jaundice.

My milk supply is low for my first two gals. This is my third pregnancy, I bought medela freestyle and its has the stimulation function, it's really increase my milk supply to the extend I have to pump like every two to three hours interval with about 160-200 ml from both breast each pump.

I did already let bb latch on but like 5 min each breast twice a days to stimulate the supply also... Sad to say, it's too time consuming for me as I have three kids. I decided to stop. How I wish I have this supply during my #1

honeyfiedcherry,

just ignore them. but well, sometimes with so many against one, quite difficult. but i hope u stay on breastfeeding. u are still too early to conclude low supply!

if you are pumping, try to pump 3 hourly for at least 15 minutes. use a DUAL PUMP for better stimulation. read up on how to create let -down in order for milk to flow out.

but why not try to latch after yr sore nipple is better. latch regularly when baby is hungry is good. babis tend to fall asleep while feeding, just wake them up and continue. their appetite is not big at this moment, so they tend to also digest fast , which means cry faster like hourly or 2 hourly etc. this does not mean they did not have enough.

if u are affected by whoever object to bf, bring yr bb to room, lock up and feed. i believe yr baby got no problem latching onto yr breast right? if so, just continue. try for a period of time before anyone conclude u got low supply causing bb to cry.

Last edited:
breastfeed babies always passes loose stools.

this kelly mom website is a saviour to many new mummies

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

bluedolphin

My parents r always said no milk during my confinement..but I keep pumping and massaging whenever I can.. My baby is fully breastfeed since she is 1.5 months old... Keep trying...if ur breast is full n heavy then it means there is milk inside but unable to get it out..my massage lady teach me to use rice bowl and cover the whole breast and spin it clockwise or anti clockwise..it is to massage our breast n to clear the blockage..u can try it too...keep trying n don't give up!!

bluedolphin

Oh ya, don't worry about the stool..if breastfeed is natural to be soft like ls...my pd said that as long as is not black color then it is fine.. :)

ling.er

Hi, please dun give up, I was bf my girl since give birth. And I can say I consider low supply too. At hospital, nurse suggest me to latch more than 30min . Is to stimulate milk and also my girl feel more full. So I latch about 1 hour during the stay at hospital.. First week normal not much milk as I'm c-sec.. But I nv give up.. Till now I have low supply too. I didn't pump 2-3 hour but I latch as long as I can..

Drink milo and red date tea.. Rest more and dun stress..
i ask my cousin wife she is taking banana flower seed to boil soup and her supply is a lot.. 400-500ml every pump.. But also she have big boob.. I dun believe big boob have more milk , small boob have little..

you can try the banana flower seed to boil soup. I'm goin to try too.. Green papaya fish soup also can try..
feguneek , sacred tea , mother milk love plus --------- jia you

Hi all, thanks for all the advice and support ! It's a really trying time for me and i hope to keep my confidence up !

I pumped out roughly 1.5oz yesterday night, was really happy ! Until this morning when husband set the temp quite high to cool my chilled EBM . It became really hot and I just felt like crying ! No choice but to still give baby later as we are going to the clinic . Didn't pump today as baby seems to not want to leave my breast !

Planning to buy unripe papaya today, what should I do with it ? They say boil & drink the water ?

you can cook papaya with fish bones and drink the soup. Can replace with pork rib if you dont like fish. Or short cut, at the very later stage with no time, i just cook and drink the papaya only.

quincy1986

dont use lo. i hear the saying that if you breast feed too much your breasts will sag.
although breast milk is the most healthy source of milk for babies but if i can i will use formula milk.
haha i am a very selfish woman. so if my mother in law tell that to me i will be very happy.

my own mother also dont use breast milk on me.
she say she give up after her first try on breast milk, which is on my elder brother.
then from then she just use formula milk on all of us :p

Asphere

hmm i think u try taking papaya soup and eat papaya and keep latching your kid.
that is wat i did for my #1 . andthe stool are loose too. it's ok..
i did not give my #1 any fm at all. bf him till he is near 1 yo :D
just give up just continue to latch. u can also get the med to increase bm.

ling.er

Any other way to boost you supply is banana flower .. Can buy from sheng siong. Use to cook soup .. So far I haven try , waiting for my mother to buy

MumsandBubs

Latch baby as much as possible. That helps me build supply. If nipples sore then keep pumping as often as poss to remove BM. Pumping 5 minutes hourly is better than 20mins 3 hourly but do whatever your schedule allows. Dont go beyond 3-hourly. When u pump your output doesn't indicate that's low supply cos baby can remove more than pump if he is drinking efficiently. Even comfort sucking removes milk but best is effective sucking.

try not give formula using bottle. Use syringe or spoon to feed. It's not nipple confusion that's the worry. It's baby may choose bottle over breast cos bottle fast flow. Once he knows that he will become frustrated at your breasts!

MumsandBubs

Instead of resorting to formula, demand feed, meaning put bb to breast every time he cries in hunger. He must be drinking from u cos he has poo! Don't give up. Demand feed means bb can drink up to 45 mins each time...and bb can drink now and want to drink 15mins later...these are all normal. Some women who have does not have engorgement must go by demand feeding route, not routine feeding route. The concept of feeding every 2-3 hourly for bfg will ruin many new mums who want to bf 100%.

Hi all .. Today is my second day of hospitalization .. Doc said still have some remains in me, so putting me on antibiotics .. So sad cause
I have to wait for 4 hours to flush the meds out before I can bf .. No choice but to put baby on formula for now . So sad !!!!

Still pumping out milk but certain time can keep, certain time have to throw away .. So far pumping out roughly 2oz from both sides but takes about an hour .. Not enough ! Baby frequent feeder .. I just prefer to latch baby on but baby can't come tmr ! Only got 4oz yst but have to throw ! Sigh . But not giving up, hoping to go home tmr .. Am planning to try the unripe papaya ..

Banana flower do what with it ya ?

bigstar

I also have problem with my bm supply. My nipples are too short and bb refuse to latch at all :( now just doing pumping every 3 hr to stimulate supply but only get 10-20ml from both breasts. Really quite demoralized and nipples feel sore

JazN

Honeyfiedcherry,

glad you have a very positive attitude towards bf despite the odds!!! Some mums do not have inflow of breast milk till 2weeks+ thus having low supply is still too early to tell. baby also need time to establish feeding just as you require the time to establish the milk supply.

Feeding on demand helps to slowly increase the supply and as well as "emptying" the breast after each bf through pumping out the milk for storage purpose. This is "to tell" the breast the need to generate more milk.

All will be better as baby gets older & you've healed your nipples.

All best!

ling.er

Hi, banana flower boil with rib / chicken .

1 week take 2-3 time

so far I drink once only. Will update how to prepare and cook once I get it ..

MumsandBubs

Got to throw away BM nvrmind. Just keep removing milk to keep more coming. Don't store it in breasts. It's demand and supply remember?