Everyone telling me my milk supply is low n to use formula :(

I just argued w husband . He die2 ask me to give baby fm at night so baby slps longer n he won't be so tired for work n we will feel less stress about what I should eat n what I shouldn't .. He says nobody .. NOBODY does exclusive bf .. He asked me to name one person at least .. But nobody I knew does bf without fm .. He wants me to supplement cause last 2 days baby fed and puked out everything . And everything is a lot and worrying . Today the sane thing happened . But now baby just finished feeding again and is asleep in my arms ..

It's only 3 weeks and he cannot tahan already . Sigh . Why nobody can understand all we mothers want is the best for our child, and all we want is support, and we're the ones getting lesser slp cause we have to wake up to feed n pump n stress about the amount we pump out, the foods we eat, reading up on increasing supply, going to the clinic to find out whats wrong with ourselves when there's nothing wrong, it's just others making us feel inadequate ..

lovepixie

Hi Honeyfiedcherry

Totally understand ur situation. My hubby now suggesting FM after seeing me tired bf at night also my BM might cause allergy in baby. To answer ur question of exclusive bf. u can befriend bf mothers in a fb group called the Breastfeeding advocates network. Then u hv a lot of newfound friends who exclusively bf.

Take care n be strong for ur baby

Don't worry too much. Stress can reduce your supply as well. Just do whatever you can. You need to come to terms with yourself that even a bit of breastmilk is fine. Supplementing with fm is also okay until you build up your supply. I'm pumping exclusively and used to be very depress when bb don't direct latch, but look at it that your other family members can help you out with feeding and ure still providing bm which is the best for your child. Keep on pumping as many times as bb feeds to mimic his patterns. Eat oats and drink plenty of water. Isotonic water helps for some mummies. Getting the correct size of flanges for your pump will also minimize pain and cracked nipples. I'm not telling you that it's going to be easy but it's definitely going to be worth it :) keep on bf-ing!

Yeah lovepixie, I know hubby has good intentions too .. Sigh . But baby is only 3 weeks, I just want a chance . I am currently looking for an electric pump, apparently it works better than my manual pump as I found out at the hosp . Hope to get a cheap one .

And I guess I didn't want to come to terms with having to supplement yet . I can still do it exclusively, the fm can wait til
I start work can't it ? At least ?

Crappievg

Hi honeyfiedcherry, I just gave birth to my second child 3 mths ago. When i had my 1st, I was also determined to bf him exclusively but I did not have enough milk and this caused much stress and unhappiness in my family. I did not get to enjoy the time with my bb as I was fixated on giving bm to him. This time round, when I returned from the hospital, I gave my bb fm for 3 nights cos I knew my milk wasn't coming in yet and I didn't want her to be hungry. My focus was no longer on breastfeeding but on spending happy time with my bb. When my milk came in, I pumped every 3 hrs even waking up at night and didn't latch as my nipples were sore. I took fenugreek pills 3x a day, 2 pills each time. It really helps. I could get about 1500ml a day. If you don't mind, there are mothers selling their preloved electric pumps at very good conditions and prices in this forum.

Be a happy and cheerful mum and enjoy the time with bb. They grow up too fast. As long as they are happy and growing up well, it doesn't really matter if they are formula fed or breast fed. :Dancing_wub:

venussnow

Dun be disheartened..I felt depressed when I was in hospital as my baby was constantly not getting enough from me to the extent they have to feed her FM. I had an emergency c sect too and I was also worried this might affect my milk supply. My hubby was v supportive of me bfing baby and I tried to latch her on whenever I could when I was discharged. Initially milk flow was slow and I was worried coz of the complications I had during labor tt might affect my health and milk supply but I began to latch on and pump using the medela Pisa and my milk supply increased to 130-200ml every 3h within 4 days. Do preservere on and dun lose heart. Now I'm starting to store excess milk for my little one. Rem to stay hydrated at all times and eat ur meals. Do not be bothered by what others say coz my mil also hinted my milk supply wasn't enough for my baby and wanted my baby to go on FM even on the 3rd day after delivery.

Hi, maybe ur right .. I shouldn't b too focused on bfing, I should concentrate more on spending time w my family .. N infants, they grow up soo fast ! Btw 1500ml is awesome ! I don't really have time to pump tho but I do pump whenever I can ..

My hubby is still supportive tho he's more inclined towards me trying out fm as he's not getting enough slp due to baby's frequent feedings . She's either undergoing a growth spurt now or is just colicky .. Wow it's really overwhelming isn't it !

Every baby is different. Some babies can sleep through even with BM, some even with formula cannot sleep through! It has nothing to do with formula or BM. I totally understand about you and your husband. I resented my husband a lot cos he wasnt as supportive as I hope he was, but it is also cos he doesnt understand much about bfg. Even we women are very confused by this bfg gig. It's just not easy to understand.

soapsoap

I total breastfeed my elder gal for 8 month and have to stop cos I was pregnant with my second one, and for the second boy I breastfeed him for 15 month totally on breastwork and now at 17 month he taking 2 gmail in the day and night time still wanna latch, he taking fm Co's I have sudden drop in my bm supply and I feed Tat I have feed him long enough time for him to take fm.

I would suggest you to get a dual pump as it can really save alot of time, and can let down Faster. If u keen to get avent duo pm me, I have one to let go

lyra

I made my hubby read and study the breastfeeding book I bought and I even highlighted and make notes for him. That's why he's supportive. Parents need to do homework too. Haha. I managed to breastfeed my boy since he's born and he's 15months now but the journey isn't easy.

diza

My husband, esp my own mother, suggested FM too coz my boy had jaundice. But I was too stubborn and I want the best for my boy. I persevered and stood to my decision to fully BF him as long as I can. At the same time, I told my husband the benefits of BM and the amt of money we save if I cont to BF. Also, I "blackmail" him. He was the one who wanted to have a baby. I was still unsure back then. So we made a pact that if I were to get pregnant, he will need to help me with baby's needs like changing diapers, washing the bottles and etc. The first month was really tough. My hubby had sleepless nights too but it's all worth it. You gain something, you lose something... In his case, his rest. And it's true that babies on FM also might not sleep through the night! By 2 mths, my boy only wakes up once ard 5am to feed and since he's sleeping beside me, I will just shove my breast to his mouth and continue to sleep while he feeds.. By now, you can train ur baby to sleep at night. Soon, ur baby will know that night time means she has to sleep. And get dual electric pump coz it saves time and u can get more milk. I'm still BF my 4 mth boy and will still continue until I have no more milk. My aim is to BF him for at least 2 yrs.

Hi diza, thanks for sharing ! Tho I feel ur husb is more understanding .. My husb no matter how I try to tell him, he just grunts . Haha .

But anyway, good news is I went to the clinic today with my parents cause it sounded as tho my bb has phlegm .. Doc says it's not phlegm, it's normal and will go away on it's own . Best part is, she said bb is growing very very well ! And congratulated me on total bf ! I was like .. In your faces ! Haha .

diza

I can imagine that! Hahaha.. Sometimes if by explaining ourselves don't work, bring them to see doc when baby has check-up. Then get doc to explain.. I did that to my mom when she insisted I give plain water to baby. End up, doctor scolded her for doing so. Since then, she never give my boy plain water. Hahaha

That's y ! No choice, my mum still scolding me for not giving bb water .. I just keep quiet .

You're lucky to still bf bb til 4 mths, I hope to be able to .. I haven't had time to pump for quite some time now and am really worried .. If I cannot keep up as she grows ..

diza

Plain water is not good for baby's digestive system. Was told by the doc that best is to give plain water when baby starts eating solid food. Even though the water is boiled but there are some substances that is not good for babies intestine. Do google to find out. Even my MIL asked me to give baby plain water with rock sugar in it and I just ignored her. Told my husband, BM is good why need to give plain water?

Lucky ur able to ignore . As for me my mum, MIL all pressured me to give glucose, water w the rock sugar n so on .. It was really very stressful when I was the one who needs rest the most ! And that was when bb was a few days to a few weeks . Now I just give bm n if they ask whether I gave water, I said yes .. Bb is growing without problems when I didn't give anything except bm !

I don't mind them trying to restrict my food and movements plus chiding my hatred for wearing bedroom slippers during these 44 days, but they actually want to give my bb all those things she didn't need .. Are u still encountering problems with MIL ?

actually some mothers/MIL do not understand facts about breastfeeding, thats why what they used to do, no longer apply to the babies now.

they used to feed little water for those formula fed babies because it is much heaty. as for breastmilk, it is made up of much water, so no additional water required.

i admit sometimes we get too frustrated talking to them. but try another way like educating them, telling them facts on why this is not needed etc instead of telling no that is not right. they might be thinking we trying to act smart while they are the ones who knows everything.

taking care of baby already need alot of time and effort, so i also dont want to quarrel with them, double stress:)

Are your mums crazy? Glucose? Rock sugar? This is mad.

Honeyfiedcherry, so glad that you are total bfg now and baby is putting on weight. Continue to put baby to breasts, don't follow routine...keep latching, keep drinking, baby will help you produce more and more to meet her demand. And drink lots water! It helps!

Hi ilovebbdylan, ya ! I try to ignore as much as I can .. I have tried explaining and it really could lead to an argument ! We in confinement need as much rest as we can not added stress . Whenever I feel tired when bb is sleeping and tell mum I want to lie down awhile, she would call me lazy .. And I get hungry quite often as bb is a frequent feeder, she called me a glutton ! Husb complained I am always hungry too .

Hi mummy2, I tried as much as I can not to let mum give her glucose ! My poor bb .. N when she gets a tummyache, who else can she blame but me ?

I'm always latching her on even outdoors, rushing to find a nursing rm .. Suddenly today bb is not passing any stools, is that normal ?! The joys of bfing !! So many things to worry about ..

some babies will reach a stage where they will not pass daily:) no major issue if baby acts as normal with no signs of discomfort. normal for total bf baby