Feeding babies with outside food

Jean Tay

Hi all mommies ,

Need some advise on when do you all start feeding your babies outside food ( those with normal salt content that adults are taking) instead of only home cooked food?

When do you all stop sterlising their milk bottles?

apollo

Hi all mommies ,

Need some advise on when do you all start feeding your babies outside food ( those with normal salt content that adults are taking) instead of only home cooked food?

When do you all stop sterlising their milk bottles?
ds is nearly 14mths, until now, we still haven give him outside/adult foods. we will cook his porridge and feed him b4 we have our meal. but if we're having fastfood, we will order unsalted fries and give him abit AFTER he finished his porridge. usually aft porridge he will be very full and only able to eat max 2 fries. i insist not to start ds with outside food yet becos of the MSG. outside foods content lotsa MSG, machiam FOC one.. trying to drag him having outside food as his meal as late as possible =)

and i'm still sterilising his bottles =)

Jean Tay

Thanks apollo,
My daughter also nearly 14mths and I am bringing her on a road trip to Malaysia for 2 days ... What food will u recommend to give her?
dear son is nearly 14mths, until now, we still have not give him outside/adult foods. we will cook his porridge and feed him before we have our meal. but if we're having fastfood, we will order unsalted fries and give him abit AFTER he finished his porridge. usually after porridge he will be very full and only able to eat max 2 fries. i insist not to start dear son with outside food yet becos of the MSG. outside foods content lotsa MSG, machiam free of charge one.. trying to drag him having outside food as his meal as late as possible =)

and i'm still sterilising his bottles =)

diymummy

I introduced outside food to my son at 18 mths.

When he was 13 mths, we brought him on a holiday. We did give him some outside food but it was porridge from the breakfast buffet and then we packed a bit of the porridge in a thermal jug for his lunch. His dinner was cereal.

Phoebii Cheng

I give him outside food when my son was 12mths old.....for me, I give him those soupy type like fish soup, mee hoon kueh & all but I don't give him the soup only the noodle or the fish etc.

Cos' my hubby say if we come home cook for him both of us will be too tired by then, we have no one to help us

But if you can, yes it will be better to intro to him outside food later.....

Jean Tay

Hi diymummy,

Thanks for sharing...
I introduced outside food to my son at 18 mths.

When he was 13 mths, we brought him on a holiday. We did give him some outside food but it was porridge from the breakfast buffet and then we packed a bit of the porridge in a thermal jug for his lunch. His dinner was cereal.

My wife introduce to our baby taste testing since as early as 3 month plus. Things like homemade soup,lollipop and even durian. Of course everything aga aga. This can indirectly train her not to be choosey in future.

When she's in mummy tummy, her mum eat quite regular during ending of 2nd timesters. So nowaday whenever she see us eat, she wants it. Sorry for info as my previous one a bit misleading, she only take durian maybe bout 5-6mths old. As mention,everything a bit a bit so not so bad.

apollo

Thanks apollo,
My daughter also nearly 14mths and I am bringing her on a road trip to Malaysia for 2 days ... What food will you recommend to give her?
ehhh we brought ds to KL when he was 11mth+... we brought some bread along, and also buy another loaf of bread over there. and also brought along cereal.

u can also bring along jar food from Heinz or gerber to mix with the cereal.. or can buy some plain porridge from the restaurant (if they have) and pour in some jar food puree..

Jean Tay

Hi Apollo,

Thanks...

ehhh we brought dear son to KL when he was 11mth+... we brought some bread along, and also buy another loaf of bread over there. and also brought along cereal.

you can also bring along jar food from Heinz or gerber to mix with the cereal.. or can buy some plain porridge from the restaurant (if they have) and pour in some jar food puree..

Ting

if only two days, can just feed cereal, n bread n milk. for me, to save the hassle, i will just give milk thru out. :)
if not can get baby jar food if your baby likes it. :)

snowbear

I started giving a bit of table food after 13months. Most of the time, she gets to taste the food and will mostly eat only a bit as she's still used to our food so I still cook for her. Even when we went for hol, I'd bring my small slowcooker to cook porridge for her... lol.

Those bottled food is also good for travelling - I brought that along too. :)

Jean Tay

Previously when I brought her to Taiwan I bring rice cooker but for this time round is only 2 days trip so dun wanna be so troublesome... I bought some organic jar food to bring along hope she won't reject the food... I am worry that she will be hungry haha cos nw she is taking 3 meals of porridge...
I started giving a bit of table food after 13months. Most of the time, she gets to taste the food and will mostly eat only a bit as she's still used to our food so I still cook for her. Even when we went for hol, I'd bring my small slowcooker to cook porridge for her... lol.

Those bottled food is also good for travelling - I brought that along too. :)

snowbear

Previously when I brought her to Taiwan I bring rice cooker but for this time round is only 2 days trip so dont wanna be so troublesome... I bought some organic jar food to bring along hope she won't reject the food... I am worry that she will be hungry haha cos now she is taking 3 meals of porridge...
Try out the bottled food first before going. If she likes it, then go and buy more. If she doesn't like it, at least you have time to search for alternatives.

CanCanMum

i only let Baber eat outside food after he was 2 years old, before tat was all home cooked foods, but on and off, while we were eating, we will let him try a bit of this, a bit of tat. But not fully a meal replacement.

sterilizing actually can stop after they turned 1yo, but we continued till 18months.

autumn82

I started Iggy gradually on table food when he was 15-18mths. Before that, he was taking homecooked food.

For sterilising, I stopped when he was 4mths+. Just used detergent and rinse with hot water when about to use. :)

Ashbaby

My wife introduce to our baby taste testing since as early as 3 month plus. Things like homemade soup,lollipop and even durian. Of course everything aga aga. This can indirectly train her not to be choosey in future.

Erm this is really not recommended............. Babies at that age should only be drinking milk and not even ready for semi solid food.

On the general guides, semi solid food @ 6 months old, table food @ 12 months old.

stonston

I only started my boy on outside food at 3yo. Adult food from our table (home cooked) at 2yo cos we seldom use seasoning at home anyway.

If you are travelling, organic bottled food has large varieties if you head to Tanglin Mall's Brown Rice Paradise or Cold Storage. You should get some to try out before going on the trip to know which ones your kiddo likes :)
I think you can order plain porridge to mix with the bottled food (this is what we did when we brought my boy to Pangkor Island when he was 10mths old). Then we brought organic cereal (oats and brown rice) to mix with his milk for breakfast.