Feeding babies with outside food

Jean Tay

Wah 3years old den start outside food tats very good . R u a working mum?
I only started my boy on outside food at 3yo. Adult food from our table (home cooked) at 2yo cos we seldom use seasoning at home anyway.

If you are travelling, organic bottled food has large varieties if you head to Tanglin Mall's Brown Rice Paradise or Cold Storage. You should get some to try out before going on the trip to know which ones your kiddo likes :)
I think you can order plain porridge to mix with the bottled food (this is what we did when we brought my boy to Pangkor Island when he was 10mths old). Then we brought organic cereal (oats and brown rice) to mix with his milk for breakfast.

JazN

Is there something like a travel pot for making a meal like porridge? Don't see it sold in retail stores?

CanCanMum

yes i have seen it

its a small box (about 10cm by 10cm) + a lid sitting onto a hot plate look alike "warmer" with a power cord.

AMK hub NTUC (electronics section) as well as Courts or Best Denki has it.

Personally i have not used it yet though, costs i recall was about $20+/- thereabouts.

meiteoh

I haven't exactly given Eva outside food - why I mentioned "not exactly" is that I'll order dishes that she can eat but these usually involved some form of digging out the insides to avoid giving her the outside bits which are often covered with flavouring, salt, MSG and etc, like tofu, chicken, etc. I know it doesn't make much sense. :p

Still, it's not a regular thing - maybe like once every three to six months. I still prefer giving her homecooked meals. If I'm giving her the same thing that we're eating, I don't put any seasoning in it - not even chicken stock or oyster sauce. I figured that if we want those things, we adults can add them separately. Often, we don't because the dish is already flavourful without the added salt. :)

Jean Tay

Wow !!! How I wish my girl will be like that but no choice day time my aunt help me take care while I goes to work. Worse when I fetch her just nw saw my aunt giving her those preserved salted stuffs... Haizz damn irritated
She even ask me now 13 months still cannot eat salt meh... She say nv eat some sweet and salty stuffs legs no strength. She say all must eat a bit.

By the way any mommies here give your baby cod liver oil?
Was a full time working mum, now a WAHM :)

btw, my boy has never eaten sweets and will not put a sweet into his mouth even if you offer him. that's how strict I am :)

apollo

Wow !!! How I wish my girl will be like that but no choice day time my aunt help me take care while I goes to work. Worse when I fetch her just now saw my aunt giving her those preserved salted stuffs... Haizz damn irritated
She even ask me now 13 months still cannot eat salt meh... She say never eat some sweet and salty stuffs legs no strength. She say all must eat a bit.

dun eat sweet/salty food will have no strength? RUBBISH!!! i never add any seasoning in ds's food b4. only use stock (homemade stock) to cook his soup, and his legs is full of strength!

if she started to feed abit of junk food here and there, soon ur girl's taste bud will need more sweet/salty food.. if she wants to feed her 'junk' food, buy some baby biscuits, organic dried fruits (apricots, raisins etc) and pass to ur aunt..

yes i'm feeding cod liver oil, reco by stonston =)

Jean Tay

I already gave her baby biscuits but still... Haiz... I also worry that sooner she won't want to eat the original taste porridge without seasoning but becos she help to take care volunteerly so we quite difficult to talk to her... Nowadays no elderly willing to help take care of children liao.

I really appreciate her help but hmmm is there anyway I can indirectly let her know...
dont eat sweet/salty food will have no strength? RUBBISH!!! i never add any seasoning in dear son's food before. only use stock (homemade stock) to cook his soup, and his legs is full of strength!

if she started to feed abit of junk food here and there, soon your girl's taste bud will need more sweet/salty food.. if she wants to feed her 'junk' food, buy some baby biscuits, organic dried fruits (apricots, raisins etc) and pass to your aunt..

apollo

I already gave her baby biscuits but still... sigh... I also worry that sooner she won't want to eat the original taste porridge without seasoning but becos she help to take care volunteerly so we quite difficult to talk to her... Nowadays no elderly willing to help take care of children .

I really appreciate her help but hmmm is there anyway I can indirectly let her know...
since that's the case, it is really up to you whether you can close 1 eye. some parents can, some cannot.. =)

greedybabyloves

Hi! I brought my baby then 8mths on holiday for 18days. Headache as to what to feed him. Had advice from my doc to start giving him a range of food as long as its healthy and soft enough for him. So i gave him extra soft pasta, veges (carrots, squash, cherry tomatoes). Am glad that he is still eating porridge and is open to all kinds of food now. I think to be safe bring extra. Was amused to find that in some countries, baby food = horse meat, rabbit meat!

cmeilim

we started introducing non-homecooked food in very tiny tasting portions after 12 mths. Mainly wholemeal bread (no trans fat, low sodium type) which he now eats a slice each morning as part of his breakfast. Other table foods which we tried only once or twice in bit portions are tofu (we dug the inside), plain steamed white rice (a few grains), plain porridge at restaurants.

Between 8-12 mths for shorter trips, we brought along organic baby food jars. We brought along our thermal induction cooker and small pot when we drove up to KL in june (boy >12 mths) and cooked porridge for him daily for lunch and dinner.

We are off to Bali next week, and have booked ourselves a house where there is a fully equipped kitchen. We will either go to the local market to buy fresh produce ourselves or get the estate's staff to buy simple ingredients and cook porridge for him.

as for snacks, we give him gerber puffs and healthy times teddy bear puffs, as well as plain natural yoghurt.

He is still on breastmilk, so i guess that is something i can always count upon if he has sudden hunger pangs on the road.

cmeilim

dont eat sweet/salty food will have no strength? RUBBISH!!! i never add any seasoning in dear son's food before. only use stock (homemade stock) to cook his soup, and his legs is full of strength!

if she started to feed abit of junk food here and there, soon your girl's taste bud will need more sweet/salty food.. if she wants to feed her 'junk' food, buy some baby biscuits, organic dried fruits (apricots, raisins etc) and pass to your aunt..

which brand of cod liver oil is that?

cmeilim

Was a full time working mum, now a WAHM :)

btw, my boy has never eaten sweets and will not put a sweet into his mouth even if you offer him. that's how strict I am :)

his stonston, u've quitted?! gosh, i hv been rather out of touch in this forum for a while! congrats on achieving flexible working hours and being your own boss, hah!!

cmeilim

we started introducing non-homecooked food in very tiny tasting portions after 12 mths. Mainly wholemeal bread (no trans fat, low sodium type) which he now eats a slice each morning as part of his breakfast. Other table foods which we tried only once or twice in bit portions are tofu (we dug the inside), plain steamed white rice (a few grains), plain porridge at restaurants.

Between 8-12 mths for shorter trips, we brought along organic baby food jars. We brought along our thermal induction cooker and small pot when we drove up to KL in june (boy >12 mths) and cooked porridge for him daily for lunch and dinner.

We are off to Bali next week, and have booked ourselves a house where there is a fully equipped kitchen. We will either go to the local market to buy fresh produce ourselves or get the estate's staff to buy simple ingredients and cook porridge for him.

as for snacks, we give him gerber puffs and healthy times teddy bear puffs, as well as plain natural yoghurt.

He is still on breastmilk, so i guess that is something i can always count upon if he has sudden hunger pangs on the road.

i discovered something a month back. we were at brunch at a hotel overseas and i tried to offer my boy a small piece of waffle dipped with a tiny dollop of honey. he didn't like it at all...we suspect it's cos the honey is sweet and he is not used to sweet things. that same trip, we let him taste durian. he was fine tasting it about three times, and then wouldn't have any more of it. but he can take sour food very well - green kiwi, natural yoghurt, not-so-sweet strawberries etc...

Mummy to Baby V

My boy loves to eat, and has soy allergy, so I am very careful of what to feed him.

- fr 6.5 months: brown rice, grains, veges, fruits
- 11 months: fish, egg yolk
- 12 months: soy allergy, stopped egg too
- 14 months: a bit of rice cake, bread (wheat), organic biscuit
- 17 months: egg white (suspected allergy, so stopped)

He only tried a bit of outside pan-fried fish recently. With food allergy, homecooked food is safest till older.

snowbear

Wow !!! How I wish my girl will be like that but no choice day time my aunt help me take care while I goes to work. Worse when I fetch her just now saw my aunt giving her those preserved salted stuffs... Haizz damn irritated
She even ask me now 13 months still cannot eat salt meh... She say never eat some sweet and salty stuffs legs no strength. She say all must eat a bit.

Hmm, never heard of such a theory... :p My dd doesn't eat sweets or choc either. Somehow too sweet or salty she doesn't like anyway. hee...

I give my dd cod liver oil after 2yo.