Feeding your little ones...pls share

vonn81

Hi, pls share on what are the food u usually give little ones. how often do u feed them?? cos my gal is light weight. so was thinking wat i can give her beside her 3 meals....i usually give either fruits, yogurt or biscuits... thanks

Amulet

for me, since DD is now 13months, its porridge, cereal, rice+soup, bread, biscuit, sometimes pasta, fruits, yogurt, cheese, ice cream, kuey teow, mee sua, alot la.. sometimes whn out, i juz share with her wat im having, that is suitable for her..

annie

my girl is 7mths old and i have started her on solid since she is 6mths old. i try to give her as balance a diet as possible... at the moment i give her porridge/cereal, veg, fruits in a meal. thats all.. have not add meat to her diet yet. planning to add next month...now only eating one meal lol. sometimes when i hand itchy i will prepare some finger food for her.. eg carrot sticks... but then so far she only know how to play with them rather than eating la hehe

annie

btw, when can we start giving our bb those food that we eat? as in we do not need to puree, mash etc? jsut give them wat we are eating.. if we are eating outside, the give them a bit of wat we are having.

vonn81

btw, when can we start giving our baby those food that we eat? as in we do not need to puree, mash etc? jsut give them what we are eating.. if we are eating outside, the give them a bit of what we are having.

Hmm....thats an impt question ya....i think diff mummy have set diff timing bah as long as u feel comfortable.

As for me...i do not give my dd outside food at all till she turns one. But even i give its only a few mouthful and only selective food. those fried, and salty i will still avoid. when she is about 8-9 mths i do not puree her food already. i just mash it wil fork or chop the meat into small pieces....i heard that if we give bb to much and too long puree food next time they may not be able to chew and they will reject minced food. I have a friend who's son still wants and only wants puree food when he is already 2 yr old.

So as for outside food i will wait till she is 2 yrs old then i will let her have her share....like ordering kids meal or sharing our food. now juST abit here and there but she still have her own diet/ meal that i prepared for her....:)

annie

oh.. my girl is driving me crazy these few days.. i give her food she cry.. no matter wat food i give she jsut cry. then i throw away the food she start to play n laugh.. idiotic.. i dunno if i should jsut stop giving her for a few days n try again or just keep giving her n throw if she dosent eat them... she totally dun eat! not even a spoonful!

vonn81

oh.. my girl is driving me crazy these few days.. i give her food she cry.. no matter what food i give she jsut cry. then i throw away the food she start to play and laugh.. idiotic.. i dont know if i should jsut stop giving her for a few days and try again or just keep giving her and throw if she dosent eat them... she totally dont eat! not even a spoonful!
oh...how old is ur gal??

Initially when i started giving my dd semi solid, she was ok...then after i start her on porridge ard 7 mths...at 1st still ok too..then after that she is also very fussy....eat a few spoonful then dont want already...it was so disheartening...spent so much time to cook and she doesnt appreciate. I also try to give her more varieties....lunch and dinner different ingredients...and the feeding time was always like a battle...she will fuss , cry...etc. i also got fed up and i will scold her and force her to eat...

Actually i noe that i should not force her to eat...cos lots of books i read said so too. But she is really making me very angry by not eating mah...But after another mummy advise.... that wat i did is not recommended. I try to change another way of feeding her...

I do not get angry or scold her anymore...if she doesnt wan it i will stop...if she hit the bowl and things fall onto the floor i did not scold her either...just tell her that she should not do that and explained to her in a soft manner.

Things did improve..she ate more gradually. and i will take note wat she likes and i will try to give her that more often, i also dunno is it because of that or she is now more " tam jiak" she eats most of the food i feed her now. and she eats more.

NO more battle during meal time now. she cant even wait till the food is cooler b4 i feed her...lolxxxx

Hope things will get better for u too...

annie

my girl 7.5mths now. yah she also same.. at first i feed her she will eat though not alot. then i started her on rice porridge she eats as well. sometimes eat alot. her fav is oatmeal cereal hehe. i tried rice porridge with carrots n she loves it too.. but these few days i gave her pumpkin n i think she hates it(or just a coincidence). then i stopped pumpkin but then she still refuses to open her mouth to eat..

i never scold her or force her to eat. im someone who dosent voice out my anger no matter with hubby, frens or my girl de lol. so i just feel very sad n keep quiet. when she throw her food, bowl, spit out her food, blow bubbles instead of swallowing, take out her food with her hands n then wipe it on her chair, touching her face, hair, ears with her dirty hands... i also dun scold. i dun tell her cannot also cos i super angry dunno wat to say. i just ignore her n keep quiet then continue feeding lor haha.

today she ate her fav oatmeal cereal with apples puree.. though not alot but im glad she finally ate..

actually those books u read are right. their main nutrition is still milk so dun eat also nevermind. but same as u, i feel... i spent so much time making her food yet she dun eat! n somemore.. i dun like the feeling of wasting food by throwing away when she dosent eat them... yet i cant make myself finish her food. puree is disgusting to me lol

vonn81

my girl 7.5mths now. yah she also same.. at first i feed her she will eat though not alot. then i started her on rice porridge she eats as well. sometimes eat alot. her fav is oatmeal cereal hehe. i tried rice porridge with carrots and she loves it too.. but these few days i gave her pumpkin and i think she hates it(or just a coincidence). then i stopped pumpkin but then she still refuses to open her mouth to eat..

i never scold her or force her to eat. im someone who dosent voice out my anger no matter with hubby, friends or my girl lol. so i just feel very sad and keep quiet. when she throw her food, bowl, spit out her food, blow bubbles instead of swallowing, take out her food with her hands and then wipe it on her chair, touching her face, hair, ears with her dirty hands... i also dont scold. i dont tell her cannot also cos i super angry dont know what to say. i just ignore her and keep quiet then continue feeding haha.

today she ate her fav oatmeal cereal with apples puree.. though not alot but im glad she finally ate..

actually those books you read are right. their main nutrition is still milk so dont eat also nevermind. but same as you, i feel... i spent so much time making her food yet she dont eat! and somemore.. i dont like the feeling of wasting food by throwing away when she dosent eat them... yet i cant make myself finish her food. puree is disgusting to me lol

Oh 7.5 mths....yah thats the stage where they will want to play more then eat. Wah u very good tempered leh...like thats also wont say a thing. Pei fu pei fu....u have to " ren" over this stage i guess. then feeding will not be so stress and unhappy liao....my dd also likes oatmeal....so i gave her as breakfast every morning until one day she is sick of it...hahah then i stop and gave her bread ( her all time fav) then now i alternate bread and oat for her breakfast. Lunch or dinner...sometimes porridge...sometime macoroni, sometimes kway tiao soup...sometimes i got no time to cook when gg out i will give her Heniz baby food jar...lolxxxx

annie

lol i also give her oatmeal as breaskfast. sometimes plain, sometimes with my milk, sometimes with some fruits or veg so not too boring for her.. today cooked brown rice cereal for her n mix with my milk n she gulps all down! dunno is it cos of the brown rice or my milk lol. but i did not refill her plate. hehe

hopefully she can get over the playing stage soon...

crystal79

oh...how old is your gal??

Initially when i started giving my dear daughter semi solid, she was ok...then after i start her on porridge around 7 mths...at 1st still ok too..then after that she is also very fussy....eat a few spoonful then dont want already...it was so disheartening...spent so much time to cook and she doesnt appreciate. I also try to give her more varieties....lunch and dinner different ingredients...and the feeding time was always like a battle...she will fuss , cry...etc. i also got fed up and i will scold her and force her to eat...

Actually i know that i should not force her to eat...cos lots of books i read said so too. But she is really making me very angry by not eating mah...But after another mummy advise.... that what i did is not recommended. I try to change another way of feeding her...

I do not get angry or scold her anymore...if she doesnt want it i will stop...if she hit the bowl and things fall onto the floor i did not scold her either...just tell her that she should not do that and explained to her in a soft manner.

Things did improve..she ate more gradually. and i will take note what she likes and i will try to give her that more often, i also dont know is it because of that or she is now more " tam jiak" she eats most of the food i feed her now. and she eats more.

NO more battle during meal time now. she cant even wait till the food is cooler before i feed her...lolxxxx

Hope things will get better for you too...
Hi vonn81,

You mean its not good to scold and force the child to eat ??? Recently my daughter dont know why seems like dont feel like eating the porridge ... she just eat a few spoonful then keep moving here and there.... and she took a long time to swallow her porridge...and the porridge turned cold also...i got to reheat the porridge 2 to 3 times using the microwave oven...i got so flared up that i scolded her very loudly and forced her to eat...i feel very angry and upset that she dont want to eat cos she drink her milk very little nowsaday... only 4 or 5 oz...Her weight is only about 8kg and she is 9 mths plus now going to turn 10 mths next week and i feel that also wasted my effort of cooking for her.... Did i do it in a wrong way of scolding her and force her to eat??? Wat should i do?? Pls advise ... Thanks

Last edited:

annie

u shouldnt force them to eat cos bb knows when they are full. if u keep forcing them to eat, they lost the ability to judge when they are full then cause future eating problems. eg cannot control how much they eat n all. then might give them a negative association with eating.. i hate it when my girl waste the food i make for her also but then i dun scold her. angry is angry but i keep quiet.. dont like to force her to do anything. not healthy... slowly as they grow older will eat more de if they have positive thinking about solid. my girl for 1mths plus eats only like a few teaspoon of food always n make me so angry.. sometimes she totally dun opne her mouth! but this whole week she is eating alot!

vonn81

Hi vonn81,

You mean its not good to scold and force the child to eat ??? Recently my daughter dont know why seems like dont feel like eating the porridge ... she just eat a few spoonful then keep moving here and there.... and she took a long time to swallow her porridge...and the porridge turned cold also...i got to reheat the porridge 2 to 3 times using the microwave oven...i got so flared up that i scolded her very loudly and forced her to eat...i feel very angry and upset that she dont want to eat cos she drink her milk very little nowsaday... only 4 or 5 oz...Her weight is only about 8kg and she is 9 mths plus now going to turn 10 mths next week and i feel that also wasted my effort of cooking for her.... Did i do it in a wrong way of scolding her and force her to eat??? what should i do?? Pls advise ... Thanks
Hi crystal79,

Scolding and forcing during meal time are really not recommended. As i mentioned, i learned frm my mistake. I was like you too....get very angry when she doesnt want to eat. Scream..cried...wanna get out of her high chair etc... i scolded her loudly too and force her to eat. Actually beside seeing the food wasted...effort wasted...its also becos we afraid that they didnt eat enough then cannot grow well. Dont worry about the weight of your gal...i was very paronoid also. My gal only 8.5 kg at 12 mths ...even light then your gal ...but after realising...she is active...healthy...learning well...why so worry about her weight?
S long s she is not underweight can . Some baby are active so they dont gain so much bcos they used up alot too. so dont be bothered byher weight .Its really a passing phrase. Slowly when she is older she will be more interested in her food/eating .

Oh ya try not to use too much of mircowave for baby food ya...not so good . If you need just put over the fire and heat up alittle will do. some baby doesnt like hot/warm food. like my gal she cannot take warm food too. so i did not warm up her food even it turns cold. of cos if i feed her for more than 45 mins laready and she still doesnt want her food i will not give her anymore...keep heating up the food will lose the nutrients too...

So now...try your best to control your anger...and make the meal time as much fun as possible....my gal now have no problem in eating her food now.even she can take warm food. Good luck and enjoy...('',)

Last edited:

annie

y microwave not good? i used to keep worrying bout microwave not good as well but that seems to be the best way to heat bb's food thats y i keep using...

vonn81

why microwave not good? i used to keep worrying bout microwave not good as well but that seems to be the best way to heat baby's food thats why i keep using...
Recent research shows that microwave oven-cooked food suffers severe molecular damage. When eaten, it causes abnormal changes in human blood and immune systems. Not surprisingly, the public has been denied details on these significant health dangers. [quoted frm a search frm the net....]

Well actually i do use microwave but for adults food....i dont know the acutal harm or whether its really not gd...but i heard too many ppl saying try not to use mircowave too often. so for baby food i choose not to use if possible lor....just can avoid jiu avoid lor....There are no right or wrong if u choose to use though...if u feel that u r comfortable then by all means mah....:tlaugh:​

annie

yah lor.. ive read up alot before using them for my girl's food. some site says its ok, some site critise using it so much. i also dunno right or wrong. in fact before i had my girl i dislike using microwave also.. but now i often use lol. but u r right, can avoid then avoid. cos i make her food in batches n freeze them, microwaving is the best way to heat up n kill those bacteria imo. once she started to eat more, i can cook per meal thus can avoid this microwaving thinggy lol

vonn81

yah .. ive read up alot before using them for my girl's food. some site says its ok, some site critise using it so much. i also dont know right or wrong. in fact before i had my girl i dislike using microwave also.. but now i often use lol. but you are right, can avoid then avoid. cos i make her food in batches and freeze them, microwaving is the best way to heat up and kill those bacteria imo. once she started to eat more, i can cook per meal thus can avoid this microwaving thinggy lol

Oh u freeze up arh...i was thinking of doing tat initally..but end up i din..only freeze blended / mashed food when she is still taking puree...but porridge i did not...only stocks i do sometimes...hehhe...

annie

yeah i freeze cos she eats too little lol. cant finish if dun freeze...i do freeze puree n mashed up fruits n veg also. in fact almsot everything la. the only time she gets to eat realyl freshly made ones are on the days i cook lol. the extras all freeze up

vonn81

yeah i freeze cos she eats too little lol. cant finish if dont freeze...i do freeze puree and mashed up fruits and veg also. in fact almsot everything . the only time she gets to eat realyl freshly made ones are on the days i cook lol. the extras all freeze up

oh ic... ya if too small amt very difficult to cook and blend....