Feeding your little ones...pls share

vonn81

btw, how do you warm up those ice cubes when you did freeze them previously?

I let it defroze abit liao i place in into a cup of hot water to warm it..just like warming up BM.... now i dont give mash or blended fruits le so i dont do it liao...but for stocks that i cook extra to freeze for next porridge cooking. i will put it into a saucepan to make hot then use put into the slow cooker with the rice and other ingredients lor

crystal79

Hi crystal79,

Scolding and forcing during meal time are really not recommended. As i mentioned, i learned frm my mistake. I was like you too....get very angry when she doesnt want to eat. Scream..cried...wanna get out of her high chair etc... i scolded her loudly too and force her to eat. Actually beside seeing the food wasted...effort wasted...its also becos we afraid that they didnt eat enough then cannot grow well. Dont worry about the weight of your gal...i was very paronoid also. My gal only 8.5 kg at 12 mths ...even light then your gal ...but after realising...she is active...healthy...learning well...why so worry about her weight?
S long s she is not underweight can . Some baby are active so they dont gain so much bcos they used up alot too. so dont be bothered byher weight .Its really a passing phrase. Slowly when she is older she will be more interested in her food/eating .

Oh ya try not to use too much of mircowave for baby food ya...not so good . If you need just put over the fire and heat up alittle will do. some baby doesnt like hot/warm food. like my gal she cannot take warm food too. so i did not warm up her food even it turns cold. of cos if i feed her for more than 45 mins laready and she still doesnt want her food i will not give her anymore...keep heating up the food will lose the nutrients too...

So now...try your best to control your anger...and make the meal time as much fun as possible....my gal now have no problem in eating her food now.even she can take warm food. Good luck and enjoy...('',)
Hi vonn81,

What you say its true loh... actually i should not scold and force her to eat the porridge but it really pains me that she eats so little :embarrassed:.... Anyway i will try to control my anger not to scold her .... Hope she will eat alot soon... Thanks for your advise....:001_302:

annie

hmm thats a way also. shall try it. i was worried that warming the cubes by this method will not be even.. n also cos its not warm till boiling pt, i worry bacteria is not killed throughly.. so i use microwave...

snowbear

Hi vonn81,

You mean its not good to scold and force the child to eat ??? Recently my daughter dont know why seems like dont feel like eating the porridge ... she just eat a few spoonful then keep moving here and there.... and she took a long time to swallow her porridge...and the porridge turned cold also...i got to reheat the porridge 2 to 3 times using the microwave oven...i got so flared up that i scolded her very loudly and forced her to eat...i feel very angry and upset that she dont want to eat cos she drink her milk very little nowsaday... only 4 or 5 oz...Her weight is only about 8kg and she is 9 mths plus now going to turn 10 mths next week and i feel that also wasted my effort of cooking for her.... Did i do it in a wrong way of scolding her and force her to eat??? what should i do?? Pls advise ... Thanks
dont worry crystal. My dear daughter is only 7.2kg at 11 months (born at 2.43kg). But strong and meeting all milestones - that's more impt than weight! So far all the docs that have seen her dont find her wt a problem.

Somehow my dear daughter also hated porridge and cereal when she was 9 months old... she was eating very well (1 meal of porridge and 2 meals of cereal a day) then one day she just decided she doesn't want to eat them anymore. Was so frustrating - kept throwing away the food and during that period of time i did try to force her to eat. But slowly i controlled myself and just tried to find other things that she may want to eat and feed her that instead of forcing her to eat what she doesn't want (though she absolutely loved them earlier on). I realise that not forcing the baby to eat is actually so much better: both dear daughter and i dont't suffer emotionally after feeding time! :tlaugh::tlaugh: Try feeding other forms of carbo like bread, pancake, macaroni shells (small), alphabet pasta etc. Slowly re-introduce porridge after a few days/weeks n see the response. After 1 month of rejecting porridge, dd accepted it again (but still rejects cereal).

Anyway, like what vonn said, sometimes we get angry due to our concern that they're not eating enuff. But baby will know how to ask for food when they're hungry so nowadays i just take it coolly and pour away the food when it's not finished. When baby doesn't eat/ finish the food, don't take it personally. :)

Last edited:

annie

wah alicia really very skinny.. is she underweight? wats her height? my girl at 6.5mths already 7.71kg ..

today my girl dunno is it eat too much solid.. i whole day feel very engorge... let her drink liao still feel engorge. i think she didnt drink much every feed. even i pump liao soon feels engorge again.. fainting..painful~

oh snowbear, i tried cooking porridge without mashing them up n my girl takes it well! lol. think i can save my effort liao.. she eats alot today though unmashed.. i dunno i put too little water or wat it dossent looks watery. very dry but the rice is soft enough ba i guess since she didnt gag...

Last edited:

vonn81

hmm thats a way also. shall try it. i was worried that warming the cubes by this method will not be even.. and also cos its not warm till boiling pt, i worry bacteria is not killed throughly.. so i use microwave...

u can stir it mah...then make sure u change the hot water...cos 1 time not enough. bacteria?? u freeze it that time all bacteria tot all die liao meh?? huh i nv tot of bacteria leh... the cover remain close mah...until u need to stir it and test the temp then cover it back lor....hehehhe...not everything need to warm till boiling pt...u already cook it b4 liao mah..right??:Dancing_tongue:

crystal79

dont worry crystal. My dear daughter is only 7.2kg at 11 months (born at 2.43kg). But strong and meeting all milestones - that's more impt than weight! So far all the docs that have seen her dont find her wt a problem.

Somehow my dear daughter also hated porridge and cereal when she was 9 months old... she was eating very well (1 meal of porridge and 2 meals of cereal a day) then one day she just decided she doesn't want to eat them anymore. Was so frustrating - kept throwing away the food and during that period of time i did try to force her to eat. But slowly i controlled myself and just tried to find other things that she may want to eat and feed her that instead of forcing her to eat what she doesn't want (though she absolutely loved them earlier on). I realise that not forcing the baby to eat is actually so much better: both dear daughter and i dont't suffer emotionally after feeding time! :tlaugh::tlaugh: Try feeding other forms of carbo like bread, pancake, macaroni shells (small), alphabet pasta etc. Slowly re-introduce porridge after a few days/weeks and see the response. After 1 month of rejecting porridge, dear daughter accepted it again (but still rejects cereal).

Anyway, like what vonn said, sometimes we get angry due to our concern that they're not eating enuff. But baby will know how to ask for food when they're hungry so nowadays i just take it coolly and pour away the food when it's not finished. When baby doesn't eat/ finish the food, dont't take it personally. :)
Hi snowbear,

Today i did not cook the porridge, i just feed my daughter nestle rice cereal with vegetables in the afternoon and rice cereal with ikan bilis in the evening ..... she can finish very fast .... dont know why she take a long time to finish her porridge.... mayb she prefer the cereal than the porridge loh... :001_302: Recently i give her milk , sometimes she will reject and wasted alot of milk ... but after that i give her biscuits or bread , she will open her mouth and eat...

My daughter only got 2 small teeth in the bottom , can she take pancake, macaroni shells (small) and alphabet pasta??? How do i cook it??

Last edited:

vonn81

Somehow my dear daughter also hated porridge and cereal when she was 9 months old... she was eating very well (1 meal of porridge and 2 meals of cereal a day) then one day she just decided she doesn't want to eat them anymore. Was so frustrating - kept throwing away the food and during that period of time i did try to force her to eat. But slowly i controlled myself and just tried to find other things that she may want to eat and feed her that instead of forcing her to eat what she doesn't want (though she absolutely loved them earlier on). I realise that not forcing the baby to eat is actually so much better: both dear daughter and i dont't suffer emotionally after feeding time! :tlaugh::tlaugh: Try feeding other forms of carbo like bread, pancake, macaroni shells (small), alphabet pasta etc. Slowly re-introduce porridge after a few days/weeks and see the response. After 1 month of rejecting porridge, dear daughter accepted it again (but still rejects cereal).

Anyway, like what vonn said, sometimes we get angry due to our concern that they're not eating enuff. But baby will know how to ask for food when they're hungry so nowadays i just take it coolly and pour away the food when it's not finished. When baby doesn't eat/ finish the food, dont't take it personally. :)

Hi5 Snowbear....

annie

i very paranoid bout bacteria thinggy cos when my girl jsut started solid she ended up high fever n diahrrea. i dunno if its due to my poor handling of food of its just a coincidence so from then onwards i try my best to be as careful as i can so as not to make her sick. till now i keep thinking i made her sick cos before that she has never been sick at all before! even jabs also no fever. a healthy girl.. but then.. i cause her to be sick..feeling very gulity till now..

snowbear

Hi snowbear,

Today i did not cook the porridge, i just feed my daughter nestle rice cereal with vegetables in the afternoon and rice cereal with ikan bilis in the evening ..... she can finish very fast .... dont know why she take a long time to finish her porridge.... mayb she prefer the cereal than the porridge loh... :001_302: Recently i give her milk , sometimes she will reject and wasted alot of milk ... but after that i give her biscuits or bread , she will open her mouth and eat...

My daughter only got 2 small teeth in the bottom , can she take pancake, macaroni shells (small) and alphabet pasta??? How do i cook it??
ya, sounds like she just doesn't like porridge anymore. Try again in future.

When i fed my dd pancake, macaroni shells (small), she didn't have any teeth yet! :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:Her first teeth only came out when she was nearing the end of 9months. Just cut into suitable size for her to chew with her gums. My dd didn't really like the alphabet pasta though..

For the macaroni shells (small), i cook them in the slow cooker for about 2 hrs until they are really very soft. Depending on your bb's ability to chew with the gum, u can either cut the shell into 2 or more pieces or just feed like that. I would fill up the shell with veg/fruit puree/cubes. i also tried filling them up with tomato and meat puree.

For pancake, i use wheat flour n put in veg and chicken puree into the batter and fry it in a non-stick pan. Then i serve it with fruit puree/cubes. It's a complete meal! :)

snowbear

wah alicia really very skinny.. is she underweight? wats her height? my girl at 6.5mths already 7.71kg ..

today my girl dont know is it eat too much solid.. i whole day feel very engorge... let her drink still feel engorge. i think she didnt drink much every feed. even i pump soon feels engorge again.. fainting..painful~

oh snowbear, i tried cooking porridge without mashing them up and my girl takes it well! lol. think i can save my effort .. she eats alot today though unmashed.. i dont know i put too little water or what it dossent looks watery. very dry but the rice is soft enough i guess since she didnt gag...
she's at the 10th percentile i think. Docs don't think it's a problem. She's about 69cm. She was born very small and skinny... :tlaugh::tlaugh:still small and skinny! was 50th percentile at 2 months then slowly drop from 25th to 10th... keke... doubled her birth wt before 3 months. i thought she'd be ave wt from then on but she just stopped booming after that...

Your body will slowly adjust to the amt of milk taken in when bb starts to take more solids. Don't pump unnecessarily unless very painful coz if not your body cannot adjust the supply accordingly. Then your dd may end up taking in more foremilk than hindmilk... REcently alicia has been sucking very hard. Nipples very painful coz i think the way she sucks causes some abrasion to the nipples due to her 4 teeth... She suck as if she's been deprived of milk for days...:tlaugh::tlaugh:

It's great that your dd can take the unmashed porridge. It definitely saves time and effort on your part. Besides, i'm sure she loves to use her teeth on them... I'm using the jap rice to cook porridge for alicia these 2 days. Seems that she prefers it to the thai rice. I feel that the thai rice ends up more mashy and soft while the jap rice has more texture. Maybe that's why she likes it better.

LoveBebe

my girl doesn't like to eat porridge as well, so usually i will on her favourite cartoon or give her her favourite toy, she will then eat her porridge faster. Just need to distract her and don't force her to eat quickly.

annie

yeah.. my girl was born very small also cos me n hubby also small la hehe. she was born 2.6kg.. also 10th percentile.. then think 1st mth or 2nd mth(forgot liao) she become 75 percentile lol. mine alo double her birth weight around 2nd/3rd mth.. i think she was 5kg plus when she was 2nd mth or 3rd mth.. n then 4th mth around 6.9kg. then after that grow slower liao..

lol. jap rice.. too sticky i dun like.. hehe

snowbear

my girl doesn't like to eat porridge as well, so usually i will on her favourite cartoon or give her her favourite toy, she will then eat her porridge faster. Just need to distract her and dont't force her to eat quickly.
For me, i dun have the tv on during meal times. i want her to concentrate on the food although i know it may be easier to feed her with the distraction of the tv. My dd's fav toys are all soft toys so i can't give them to her during meal times. i dun wanna end up washing soft toys every day....:tlaugh::tlaugh:personally, I think it's impt for bb to learn to focus on the food during meal times. My niece has her eyes glued to the tv while my mum/ sil stuffs food into her mouth. She doesn't even know what she's eating. According to research, that's not good in the long run...

annie

whahaha snowbear u n me same! i want to develope good eating habits for my girl.. so meal time i switch off tv n no toys also. meal time is meal time... i wan her to concentrate on meal..

crystal79

ya, sounds like she just doesn't like porridge anymore. Try again in future.

When i fed my dear daughter pancake, macaroni shells (small), she didn't have any teeth yet! :tlaugh::tlaugh::tlaugh:Her first teeth only came out when she was nearing the end of 9months. Just cut into suitable size for her to chew with her gums. My dear daughter didn't really like the alphabet pasta though..

For the macaroni shells (small), i cook them in the slow cooker for about 2 hours until they are really very soft. Depending on your baby's ability to chew with the gum, you can either cut the shell into 2 or more pieces or just feed like that. I would fill up the shell with veg/fruit puree/cubes. i also tried filling them up with tomato and meat puree.

For pancake, i use wheat flour and put in veg and chicken puree into the batter and fry it in a non-stick pan. Then i serve it with fruit puree/cubes. It's a complete meal! :)
Hi snowbear,

Thanks for ur advise... will try to cook the macaroni shells and pancake this weekend. :001_302: