For csect moms, when did you first latch your baby successfully?

tika

I did not have a good experience with BF after my csect for #1. I delivered at TMC hospital. I was sleeping after the procedure throughout the first day. No nurse came in to wake me up to breastfeed. My hubby told me the nurses allowed him to see the baby only 4 hours later after delivery. I found out they fed her Enfalac on the first day. I was disappointed. In the end, even after seeing a lactation consultant, my baby girl still couldn't latch on. LC adviced me to get nipple guards cos i had inverted nipples. It still didn't work. I endured expressing exclusively for a year before i switched her milk to FM.

I read at most breastfeeding sites, the sooner you attempt to breastfeed your baby the less problems you will face in the future. But once the baby is given the bottle, it might be tougher to latch baby onto your nipples.

I wish for my #2 to be breastfed from the beginning. However, I'm not sure whether its possible to stay awake immediately after the procedure till the nurse will let me hold my baby.

When's the earliest we should feed our baby?
Does the nurses usually take a long time to clean the baby?
Has anyone successfully breastfed their babies on the day of their csect?
If yes, how many hours after your csect was that?

veronica

Hi,

I just had my c-sect on 29th July around lunch hrs. The nurse brought my gal abt 4-5hrs after my procedure.

Latching was ok with the guidance of the nurse.

I hope you will have a successful one.

apollo

i had c-sect via GA and they brought my baby to me after 4-5hours... i rmb latching him on only once in the hospital (ard 1st or 2nd day) cos my nipple are inverted... i've been pumping for these two mths cause ds can't latch on.. but aft pumping for these 2mths, my inverted nipple somehow 'inprove' and i can latch him on sometimes...

i think the reason the nurses didnt wake u up to BF ur baby was cause u were still drowsy... u took GA right??? cause if u're drowsy, u might 'drop' ur baby... maybe this time u can get ur hubby to 'pester' the nurse to get ur baby to u for total bf-ing? :tlaugh:

candy_ian

i had my c-section on 27 march via epidural as i wanted to b awake n b the first to c my little boy. Latched on dear son abt 2 hrs after the procedure. N he's still on total breastfeeding now.. books always encourage us to latch on asap n not introduce any teats till 6 wks to prevent nipple confusion.

matka

Hi Tika

Mine was similar to candy_ian. I was on epidural for the c-section. Baby was brought to me within 2 hours. That was in the middle of the night. It took a bit of practice but by the time I was discharged, baby was feeding quite well.

You might want to consider going on epidural instead of GA if you're doing another c-section. So that has to be arranged earlier in your birthplan. There are some slight side effects though (depending on individual). For me, I was shivering towards the end of the delivery. But I still managed to see baby as soon as he was out. Some ladies I know had no problems with epidural.

uddermummy

Good job, Tika, for feeding your dd breastmilk for 1 year! I might not have the patience if i had to depend on expressing. :p

It depends on whether you use GA or epidural. If you use epidural, you should be able to bf immediately after.

We should feed our bbs asap cos they are usually most alert after delivery. After that, their sucking reflex may not be so strong.

They shouldn't. In fact, you can request for them to give you your bb immediately after delivery if your bb is fine.

You have to inform your gynae of your request, as well as the nurses before your c-section. Get your hubby to keep reminding them.

i did it abt 3 hours after my c-section cos i was waiting for my GA to wear off. Bb was quite okay in latching on.

One tip: make a v big sign that says total breastfeeding and no bottles etc and stick it onto your bb's bassinet so the nurses have no excuse to say they didn't know.

meiteoh

Depends on whether you had GA or . In my case, I had the and so she was put to my breast about less than one hour after I was wheeled out of the OT. She was wide alert then and suckled on my breast for around 10 minutes of so.

They shouldn't take too long, especially if they are not washing off the vernix but just wiping away the blood and residue.

I asked for my baby to be put to my breast immediately and even though it was a c-sec, she was given to me the moment they took her out of my womb in the OT for a smooch and eye contact (for about five minutes) and then again afterwards (as above).

Yes. My baby was feeding at my breast every two hours.

I feed her while I was in the recovery area, then again when I was wheeled into the maternity ward (2 hours later) and subsequently every two hours. I wasn't allowed to leave the bed so I asked for her to be placed on my chest instead of the bassinet to allow me to breastfeed her without having to buzz for help all the time.

If your hospital isn't pro-BF, it may be harder to enforce them. I would suggest rooming-in as that would help tremendously with breastfeeding and lessen the chance of nurses sabotaging you by feeding with the bottle (here, if they must feed with bottle, they will insist that you feed from the breast first and then put on the bottle to avoid nipple confusion) and FM.

apollo

wow like tt i also kanna bluff liao lo?? they took 4-5hrs to wheel my baby for me leh!! before that, they came in and ask me which FM i wanna give, ask if i can BF or at least let me feed baby on my own, they say cannot cos baby has to be in the "warmer"....=(

MizfitMumma

I did not have a good experience with BF after my csect for #1. I delivered at Thomson Medical Center hospital. I was sleeping after the procedure throughout the first day. No nurse came in to wake me up to breastfeed. My hubby told me the nurses allowed him to see the baby only 4 hours later after delivery. I found out they fed her Enfalac on the first day. I was disappointed. In the end, even after seeing a lactation consultant, my baby girl still couldn't latch on. LC adviced me to get nipple guards cos i had inverted nipples. It still didn't work. I endured expressing exclusively for a year before i switched her milk to FM.

I read at most breastfeeding sites, the sooner you attempt to breastfeed your baby the less problems you will face in the future. But once the baby is given the bottle, it might be tougher to latch baby onto your nipples.

I wish for my #2 to be breastfed from the beginning. However, I'm not sure whether its possible to stay awake immediately after the procedure till the nurse will let me hold my baby.

Hi Tika, I had c-sect on 26 May dis year. I delivered at 8 plus pm & the nurses dun allow me to breastfeed my baby until d 3rd day as I'm still shaking on 2nd day due to d epidural. They r afraid if I might drop my baby. On dat 3rd day, I gt no prod in latchin my son. Till now, he gt no prob in switchin btw breast & fm.

matka

Actually I'd be quite surprised to know if there are hospitals that aren't pro-breastfeeding.

Yes, just to play safe, get your husband to remind the nurses if it takes too long for baby to come. I delivered my child at Mt A and the nurses are quite prompt and proactive in getting you acquainted with the baby. I hear that TMC is like that too?

meiteoh

Hi Tika, I had c-sect on 26 May this year. I delivered at 8 plus pm & the nurses dont allow me to breastfeed my baby until d 3rd day as I'm still shaking on 2nd day due to d epidural. They are afraid if I might drop my baby. On dat 3rd day, I gt no prod in latchin my son. Till now, he gt no prob in switchin btw breast & fm.
I too shivered from the side effects of the epidural but the midwives were very supportive of me wanting to BF. They covered me with a blanket, hot towels and so forth so the shivering stopped while I was in the recovery room. No excuses like how I might drop my baby and etc (as if us mothers will drop our own child!!!).

chiro

-within 3.5 hours

- cleaning shld be quite fast, nurses told me that have to do some hearing tests, & put him in the baby warmer straight away after birth as its too cold for him ((i remembered my son pee as they were weighing him, i can see the fountain stream from where i was lying on the operating table. funny to say that i was not wearing my specs during the operation, but I can clearly see his fountain stream tat day haha..crystal clear vision...

Yes

within 3.5 hours and managed to latch on well, but the funny thing is that i cannot latch him well during twilight hours on the second & third day..he will get frustrated & cry...legs kicking, face turn red, nipples in his mouth still continue open mouth and cry...cannot pacifiy him, end up fed him enfalac fm...but during day time he like an angel..hahaha

Amulet

i c-sec spinal block thus didnt goes to sleep.. kept pestering the nurse but only bring to me after 4hours.. latch her straight on keepin in mind all the instructions from books and videos in my mind.. we managed well.. :)

Amulet

wow like that i also kanna bluff ?? they took 4-5hrs to wheel my baby for me !! before that, they came in and ask me which FM i wanna give, ask if i can BF or at least let me feed baby on my own, they say cannot cos baby has to be in the "warmer"....=(
for me, they asked too.. but i juz say NO FM, im TOTAL breastfeeding her.. haha

shespice

I had c-sec with epidural as I wanted to be awake during delivery. Was trying for natural anyway but didn't dilate enough :).
I can't quite remember hour many hours but it was quite soon after I delivered and got wheeled to my room and after that they brought baby in and hair all neatly combed LOL. Nurse just placed baby on me and baby just latch on. After that every 2 or 3 hrs they would bring baby in throughout the night for feeding :)

appletree

wow like that i also kanna bluff ?? they took 4-5hrs to wheel my baby for me !! before that, they came in and ask me which FM i wanna give, ask if i can BF or at least let me feed baby on my own, they say cannot cos baby has to be in the "warmer"....=(
Me too.

I had c-sec with epidural last Sep. Before the c-sec, already told my gynae and the nurses I wanted to do total breastfeeding. After the c-sec, I also had some side effects, such as shivering and vomitting, but I still insisted to do breastfeeding. My husband kept on rushing them to bring the baby to us and reminding them I would do total breastfeeding, they also said baby was inside warmer. In the end, they only brought my baby to me 6 hours after my operation. The latch on was sucessfully and I did exclusively breastfed my baby for the first 6 months before I started introducing solids.

I think it is very important to tell the nurses and gynae you want total breastfeeding even before the operation and must keep on reminding the nurses about this to stop them from giving bottles unnecessarily.

tika

Hi Tika

Mine was similar to candy_ian. I was on epidural for the c-section. Baby was brought to me within 2 hours. That was in the middle of the night. It took a bit of practice but by the time I was discharged, baby was feeding quite well.

You might want to consider going on epidural instead of GA if you're doing another c-section. So that has to be arranged earlier in your birthplan. There are some slight side effects though (depending on individual). For me, I was shivering towards the end of the delivery. But I still managed to see baby as soon as he was out. Some ladies I know had no problems with epidural.

2 hours?? Hmmm How come they took so long with my baby. I was actually on Epi for the csect. But while waiting for them to wheel me back to my ward, I fell asleep. I woke up 8 hours later, shivering uncontrollably. Totally knocked out. =(

Does that mean you managed to stay awake for 2 hours after your procedure? You weren't sleepy at all?

tika

i had c-sect via GA and they brought my baby to me after 4-5hours... i rmb latching him on only once in the hospital (around 1st or 2nd day) cos my nipple are inverted... i've been pumping for these two mths cause dear son can't latch on.. but after pumping for these 2mths, my inverted nipple somehow 'inprove' and i can latch him on sometimes...

i think the reason the nurses didnt wake you up to BF your baby was cause you were still drowsy... you took GA right??? cause if you're drowsy, you might 'drop' your baby... maybe this time you can get your hubby to 'pester' the nurse to get your baby to you for total bf-ing? :tlaugh:

I was on Epi actually and I remember being SUPER sleepy as they push me out of the op theatre and 'park' me by the side. I asked the nurse why am I not being wheeled back to my ward, but i don't remember what she mumbled. Before long I was snoring already.

Did the nurse wake you up or were you amazingly awake the whole time?

matka

Hi Tika, for me after all the shivering, I managed to see my baby immediately after delivery and then I passed out. I woke up in the ward when the nurses woke me up.

I'm now wondering if the response of the nurses has anything to do with the hospitals we choose? I did specify to my gynae before that I wanted to breastfeed though. I seem to recall that the nurses also asked me when I was in the delivery suite.

tika

Good job, Tika, for feeding your dear daughter breastmilk for 1 year! I might not have the patience if i had to depend on expressing. :p
Haaa! I would love to take credit but my hubby was my pillar of strength and my punching bag seriously. He did a good job motivating me to keep going. =)

It depends on whether you use GA or epidural. If you use epidural, you should be able to bf immediately after.

We should feed our bbs asap cos they are usually most alert after delivery. After that, their sucking reflex may not be so strong.

They shouldn't. In fact, you can request for them to give you your baby immediately after delivery if your baby is fine.

You have to inform your gynae of your request, as well as the nurses before your c-section. Get your hubby to keep reminding them.
NOTED! I shall inform and remind my gynae at all my next visits. I don't think I can go through expressing exclusively again.

One tip: make a very big sign that says total breastfeeding and no bottles etc and stick it onto your baby's bassinet so the nurses have no excuse to say they didn't know.
That's a good idea. Thanks uddermummy! =)