Hand Foot Mouth - Help!

Astar

Need advise from experienced mummies..

My 8 month old contracted HFM and there's the details:

Saturday : little spots appear on hands and feet
Sunday : ulcers in mouth. refused to eat / drink
Monday : refuse to eat drink and sleep. lots of spots on diaper area and hands and feet

It is heartbreaking seeing him suffer. Would like to know when will he start to feel better? ie, at which day will blisters dry up and when will uclers subside?

also, what can i do to make him eat / drink? :eek:10:

TIA!

Phoebii Cheng

Monday : refuse to eat drink and sleep. lots of spots on diaper area and hands and feet

It is heartbreaking seeing him suffer. Would like to know when will he start to feel better? ie, at which day will blisters dry up and when will uclers subside?

TIA!
Hi tht time my son got HFMD, it took him about a week to recover, I think by about two days time ur son's spots & ulcers should start to subside....if ur son refuses to eat and drink, u might want to give him glucose water

It's v pain for them to hv ulcers in the mouth to eat or drink , but they hv to eat or drink to keep them hydrated if not hv to send to hospital for drip which is more painful

The ulcers, did the doc give u a gel to put on the ulcers in the mouth? or you can put aloe vera gel, it's cooling

And you need to wash or sponge ur son regularly, but always remember after touching ur son, before touching other things, u oso hv to wash ur hands regularly with soap, even preparing ur son's meals or milk

how to make him eat or drink? tht time my son still not so bad still want to drink milk though a bit only at a time, so I made him drink milk at more regular intervals, oso u might want to try to spoonfeed him? even if ur son eat or drink a bit is better than nothing at all

Spiralng

The throat is full of ulcer so drinking or eating hot stuff is very painful for them. Maybe u can feed him milk at rm temp. Important thing is to give him loads of fluid. The last time my children got it, I try to give them fruits, fresh milk and barley water.

Ting

yah dun give them hot drinks, best at room temp or abit cold...
give loadsa fluids..
ask your doc what else can feed...
your baby still very young, if not i know some mummies give ice cream to their kids..
maybe u can give yoghurt.. cos its cold n also for the calcium.

CanCanMum

TIA!
Please refer our earlier discussion on HFMD
http://www.mummysg.com/forums/f57/hfmd-25187/

by the 7th day onwards your baby should feel much much better coz tats when the ulcers in mouth subsides and those rashes look alike spots on skins go away coz it can cause itch and makes the baby cranky

by the 10th day your baby should be fine and up and bouncy again:wong19:

CanCanMum

my personal experience with baber (had HFMD when he was 30months)

1) 2nd and 3rd day - resists fluids and water intake.....extremely cranky....cries all the time.....only wet 01 diaper a day.....got fever.....

Remedy = give fluids....give cool water....anything cold and cooling.....if possible give plain porridge water.....give fruits also.....concentrate on fluids based foods.....and cannot be too warm coz it irritates their throat and makes swallowing difficult and painful.....(some pple give ice cream but Letitia is still young, beta dont)

Remedy for blisters/rashes = Calamine lotion....keep in fridge to make it cool....they feel extreme comfort immediately after applying....coz its cools the blistered areas. (Unfortunately, nothing can be done to the ones inside the throats)

Remedy for rashes = doctor will give medi for rashes to subside faster.

2) 4th - 6th day - see Doctor to access the blistered areas especially the throat. should have subsided a few. Lesser blisters and rashes wil be almost 50% gone.

fever almost subsided. Food intake almost normal.....diapers wet about 3-4 a day (last time wets 6-7 a day)

3) 7th - 8th day - blisters in throat subsided (still have some smaller dispersed).....rashes faded.....appetite back to normal....

4) by the 9-10th day should have completely recovered.

*sayangs*