Help in introducing solids

stonston

JMHO

Actually better consult a doctor 1st before feeding solid for less than 6 months infant...

It's always best to intro solids till after 6 months cuz their digestive system are better or matured...

My ds now can sit up without any support for a awhile, eyeing on the food I eat & will open his mouth or use his hands to push mine towards his mouth when he's around 5 months... But I still want till he's 6 months then I will intro ceral/solid food, which is tomorrow... :shyxxx::shyxxx:
actualli in US n many other countries, PDs there recd start at 4-6mths IF baby is ready....cos now babies advance v fast, some mature faster than others....as long as e purees r 'for fun' n not to replace meals it is ok...

but at 6mths onwards, the solids should start replacing meals...so if u intro at 6mths, u might have some probs trying to intro a large variety of foods since there is e 4day rule when intro new foods....

LoVeS

actualli in US n many other countries, PDs there recd start at 4-6mths IF baby is ready....cos now babies advance v fast, some mature faster than others....as long as e purees r 'for fun' n not to replace meals it is ok...

but at 6mths onwards, the solids should start replacing meals...so if u intro at 6mths, u might have some probs trying to intro a large variety of foods since there is e 4day rule when intro new foods....
6mths onwards are to replace meals? U mean trying to stop bb frm drinking milk?

stonston

6mths onwards are to replace meals? U mean trying to stop bb frm drinking milk?
yes, gradualli bb needs to learn tt food is main source of nutrients....so milk intake should decrease slowly, but milk should still be included in e diet as far as possible....

stonston

i wonder how many mths should gif how many meals ah?
this depends on ur baby n when u started to intro solids to ur baby...

but by 10mths, they should be taking 3 meals a day...quantity depends on how big eater ur bb is....

my boi is now takin 2-3meals a day, quantity is ard 1 small chinese soup bowl each meal...he is 7.5mths...i started early, so he start takin 3 meals early...cos u need to increase slowly...cannot overnight give 3 meals....

wot i did was increase quantity first...then split e quantity into 2 meals....then increase quantity again...then splut quantity into 3 meals....then increase quantity again....then after tt u can add in snacks btw meals....some finger foods :)

LoVeS

i am confused how much should i guf n how many meals per day if i intro it when he is 5mths old sumore how do we knw when to increase the num of meals?

stonston

i am confused how much should i guf n how many meals per day if i intro it when he is 5mths old sumore how do we knw when to increase the num of meals?
i started with 1-2 tsp of puree for 1-2 weeks...
then 3-5 tsp e following week....
then 4-7 tsp (ard 1 baby cube) for another week....
then ard 2 baby cubes (ard 60ml of food) for another week after tt...
then ard 3-4 baby cubes per meal for another 2 weeks....
then i split into 2-3 cubes per meal, 2 meals a day for 2 weeks...
then increase to 4-6 cubes per meal, 2 meals a day for 2 weeks....
then split into 3-4 cubes per meal, 3 times a day....
after tt can increase quantity n add finger food in btw meals...

stonston

huh? 1-2tsp will b full enuff ah?
as i said, when intro b4 6mths, it is not to fill them up...it is jus to let them have a try n feel of solids....

n u cannt suddenly give alot...maybe cause stomach upset cos they r not used to eating solids....

LoVeS

as i said, when intro b4 6mths, it is not to fill them up...it is jus to let them have a try n feel of solids....

n u cannt suddenly give alot...maybe cause stomach upset cos they r not used to eating solids....
oic so b4 6mths is juz gif for fun one lah i mean to let them taste wat is solid foods?

stonston

yupz, b4 6mths is jus to intro solid food to them...let them have a taste of new foods n try out new texture....

milk feed should remain e same....onli after 6mths then food must slowly replace milk....

Mum2Matty

my dd gets hungry easily...bt head still very stable... so have to wait??
When a baby is below one year old, "solids" are to supplement milk not the other way round. if your dd gets hungry easily now, she may be experiencing growth spurt, so you have to increase her milk intake.

Do check out the stick threads on why it is not a good idea to introduce solids too early to a young infant.

After one year old, milk intake is to supplement solids...

HTH!

stonston

When a baby is below one year old, "solids" are to supplement milk not the other way round. if your dd gets hungry easily now, she may be experiencing growth spurt, so you have to increase her milk intake.

Do check out the stick threads on why it is not a good idea to introduce solids too early to a young infant.

After one year old, milk intake is to supplement solids...

HTH!
my dear, it is fm 6mths onwards tt solids need to start to be main meal....cos milk alone is not enuf...fm 6mths can gradually introduce n increase in quantity n no of meals...by 1yo, they should be 100% dependent on solids (with snacks btw meals)...milk is to supplement e diet...but it is recd tt they continue to have milk intake until they r adults :)

if wanna intro b4 6mths bcos ur bb is showing signs of being ready, then it is to let them try e taste n texture, not to replace milk at all...