Homemade solid on the go

snowbear

i still have not give up lol. use it today again and see how. if really cannot then bo bian.. i bought from amazon .. think cannot change.. it can keep my boiling water very warm inside even after 6hrs but then my cereal and porridge so easily cold dont know why...

oh do you keep the containers into the bag when keeping warm? cos i didnt. i only put on my kitchen top
yes, even when i'm at home i do that coz the tiger bag has a layer of insulation in the bag. Maybe u put into your bag then see if it works better?

annie

ooh.. ok shall try tmr! hehe. today i put into the container n leave on kitchen top again. haven check if still warm or not. gonna give my girl later for her lunch.. hopefully still warm...

snowbear

ooh.. ok shall try tomorrow! hehe. today i put into the container and leave on kitchen top again. have not check if still warm or not. gonna give my girl later for her lunch.. hopefully still warm...
haha... ok, let me know tmr. Anyway which part of tokyo do u live in?

annie

hmm its near to odaiba. not too sure if you know where. y? u coming? hee.

the food today not warm again.. end up i got to warm it again with microwave.. hai~

oh ask u ah.. if u are going on a holiday or going out whole day, will u simply skip giving alicia solid for those few days or will u buy those jar commercial food? cos the bento set can only warm for 6hrs..

snowbear

hmm its near to odaiba. not too sure if you know where. why? you coming? hee.

the food today not warm again.. end up i got to warm it again with microwave.. hai~

oh ask you .. if you are going on a holiday or going out whole day, will you simply skip giving alicia solid for those few days or will you buy those jar commercial food? cos the bento set can only warm for 6hrs..
nope, not going there anytime soon. I know odaiba! I went to tokyo in 2007. Had great fun with dh gg round tokyo on our own for 2 days (the rest of the trip we went to other parts of central japan with the tour group, tokyo was free and easy for 2 days). Miss travelling!!!

I just went to sentosa for 3 days. What i did was to bring raisin buns for her and i brought her slow cooker, rice grains, n the ingredients for the porridge along. In the morn, i'd try to find suitable food from the hotel breakfast to give her. If dun have then just give the bread. Initially we also wanted to give her the commercial jar food but the flavours for her age group sounded weird so we decided she'd probably not like them. In the end, she was sick during the holiday and hardly ate anyway...

annie

wah biang.. bring so many things there to cook for her! i dont think i can lol. hmm.. i was thinking of buying those jar food but then... like you said, those flavour look strange and also im a bit skeptical bout those commercial food.. but dont feed her solid dont know ok or not.. those commercial jar food in japan looks very complicated lol. looks like many ingredient mix together. i wonder if jar food will cause allergies? cos if will and so many ingredients inside how i know which is the allergent for her?

btw, ive decided not to try the zojirushi with the bag cos i read the box, it says with bag it can keep warm at 51degree n without bag is 49 degree but mine is no where near 49! its almost rm temp liao.. cold cold de... ive emailed amazon n see how.. dunno wat is happening. can keep boiling water warm but not food! ....

snowbear

wah biang.. bring so many things there to cook for her! i dont think i can lol. hmm.. i was thinking of buying those jar food but then... like you said, those flavour look strange and also im a bit skeptical bout those commercial food.. but dont feed her solid dont know ok or not.. those commercial jar food in japan looks very complicated lol. looks like many ingredient mix together. i wonder if jar food will cause allergies? cos if will and so many ingredients inside how i know which is the allergent for her?

btw, ive decided not to try the zojirushi with the bag cos i read the box, it says with bag it can keep warm at 51degree and without bag is 49 degree but mine is no where near 49! its almost rm temp .. cold cold ... ive emailed amazon and see how.. dont know what is happening. can keep boiling water warm but not food! ....
Try to get bottled food with ingredients that she has tried before instead of those where there are many ingredients that she hasn't tried before to be safe? Feed bread? You're only gg for a short surfing trip right? 1-2 days of no proper solid food shld be fine. Maybe she'll be too excited to eat much anyway! :)

annie

ya i think i got no time to feed her properly also cos i will be out most of the time.. so wondering if dont give her ok or not.. scared she not full and wake up many times at night lol. its a 2 days 1 night trip . fri noon we depart then think sat evening then home.. so maybe fri morning i can feed her then no lunch then sat totally cannot give her solid...

btw, she can eat bread liao meh? only 7.5mths... if can give her food from my table is best la. easiest n can feed her during my meal also.. wont waste time.. but then im not sure wat i can give her n all wor...

snowbear

ya i think i got no time to feed her properly also cos i will be out most of the time.. so wondering if dont give her ok or not.. scared she not full and wake up many times at night lol. its a 2 days 1 night trip . fri noon we depart then think sat evening then home.. so maybe fri morning i can feed her then no lunch then sat totally cannot give her solid...

btw, she can eat bread meh? only 7.5mths... if can give her food from my table is best . easiest and can feed her during my meal also.. wont waste time.. but then im not sure what i can give her and all ...
she got 4 teeth already... shld be able to eat bread. when i 1st gave alicia bread she was toothless. Table food like veg with no sauces/dressings can mash and give her some...

ktansy

nope, not going there anytime soon. I know odaiba! I went to tokyo in 2007. Had great fun with dear husband gg round tokyo on our own for 2 days (the rest of the trip we went to other parts of central japan with the tour group, tokyo was free and easy for 2 days). Miss travelling!!!

I just went to sentosa for 3 days. What i did was to bring raisin buns for her and i brought her slow cooker, rice grains, and the ingredients for the porridge along. In the morn, i'd try to find suitable food from the hotel breakfast to give her. If dont have then just give the bread. Initially we also wanted to give her the commercial jar food but the flavours for her age group sounded weird so we decided she'd probably not like them. In the end, she was sick during the holiday and hardly ate anyway...
Hi Snowbear,

I was at Sentosa for a 2-day holiday last week. I'm so impresed you brought the stuff to cook for your gal. My hubby is a supporter of commercial baby jar foods for its convenience. I prefer homecooked as far as possible even though i'm a lousy cook.

On my short trip, my gal had boiled potato and carrot cubes on the 1st day for lunch and dinner. I stored them in the zo--shi (can't spell that Japanese name) flask and they kept warm til dinner time! Quite good. On the 2nd day, she only had milk and baby biscuits. Haha!

I agree that table food such as boiled veg are quite safe for a weaning baby. just gotta mash them a little. My gal devours the Ikea potatoes that are served with the meatballs/salmon. But she gotta drink water as she eats them cos they are drier than those i make for her.

:)

annie

which zojirushi flask are u using? i bought one recently but it totally dosent keep my girl's food warm! i wonder y...how old is your girl? every finger food i gave my girl she will take n crash them with her hands. faint.

snowbear, but hor those veg outside cooked with oil, salt n all wor... can give bb meh? also, for bread, any bread ok? cos i heard cannot give bb wheat or gluten things n im not too sure what bread contains.. sometimes when im having bread my girl wanna snatch from me but i dun dare to give her...

shespice

oooo....all these containers sooo sweet and nice.... me not using yet. still trying to feed my girl with rice cereal and she real messy LOL. each time put into mouth, cereal comes out hahaha and she bite on spoon and don't want to let go LOL. Cute lah, but really must have patience and sometimes have the cereal flunked at my face also coz while feeding she like to do the "spitting" action! hahaha. Maybe the cereal made is too watery eh?

snowbear

which zojirushi flask are you using? i bought one recently but it totally dosent keep my girl's food warm! i wonder why...how old is your girl? every finger food i gave my girl she will take and crash them with her hands. faint.

snowbear, but those veg outside cooked with oil, salt and all ... can give baby meh? also, for bread, any bread ok? cos i heard cannot give baby wheat or gluten things and im not too sure what bread contains.. sometimes when im having bread my girl wanna snatch from me but i dont dare to give her...
normal boiled veg i think can give... i forgot yr dd only 7.5months n can't start on wheat yet... u may wanna try giving her 1 mouth first to see if there's any allergic reaction...

alicia also always wants to eat food from me. Yday i gave her chwee kueh (without the chilli and chai por) n she ate it happily. She just doesn't want to eat her own food! So sad...

annie

lol ok ma if she enjoys your food then easier for u. of cos it might also means more salt n more oil n less healthy also la. can try making her food colourful n cute? like japanese make those bento with animals n facial expressions to attract their kids to eat.. hehe.

shespice, ya maybe too watery.. my girl also used to spit out all her food by blowing bubbles n i tried making it more pasty n she dun spit anymore. she prefers pasty food.. since then no more blowing out of food liao. u can try?

shespice

thanks annie, yeah think i will try to make it less watery. its interesting to read about your dedicated efforts in making porridge for your girl and discovering what she like and do not like. I haven't got the chance to do so as my girl is with the nanny so I don't get to discover her likes and dislike yet. Since I just introduced the rice cereal, think i stick with it for the time being. I also see some commerical bottled food like veg or fruits and tempted to try LOL....though not sure if I will complicate her palette :p.

annie

its good to give her a variety of things to try so she wont grow up to be a picky eater. but then be sure to follow the 4 day wait rule(giving a food for 4 days before introducing a new food) in case there is any allergy reaction. how old is your girl? rice cereal can make less watery also. btw, i still dont know difference between rice cereal and rice porridge lol. for me, i give my girl brown rice cereal, rice porridge, oatmeal cereal as her main course. sometimes i will mix them eg white and brown rice mix porridge/cereal. i give her fruits and veg everyday also. home made.

rice cereal is carbo and she needs other vit also including those from fruits and veg so you need to intro to her slowly..can mix into her rice cereal but for me, i give them seprately if its a new food in case she dosent like it.. if i mix into her porridge n she dun like the taste then the whole porridge got to go! lol.

annie

snowbear, have u trie giving alicia apples without mashing them up? can she take it? im wondering if i can offer my girl as finger food but worry she will choke on it.. so far ive only gave her apples puree(need to cook apples first). i wonder if can give her uncook apples as finger food.. any idea? so far i tried giving her bananas n avocado as finger food. she loves banana but not avocado lol. im trying to find papaya here but cannot.. hubby say its not this season's fruit so cant get it.. pear also cannot. need to wait till winter or autumn i guess...

shespice

Annie, Kaitlyn is 6 months now. So far I tried Frisocreme and since she finished that, I just bought another brand Heinz Rice Cereal for her nanny to try out. All these cereal just add water or milk. So I have not tried any other types of food yet. I don't really have much chance to coz I only get her back at night and by that time its more like just giving her milk before she sleep. I try to feed her the rice cereal on weekends at home but if we go out then its still just formula milk that I bring out LOL...so still no chance to try other things. She now only have one bottom tooth just coming out from her gum hahaha. Since she likes to put things into her mouth at this stage, that day I cut some carrot (in stick form) and gave her LOL. she seems to enjoy sucking and biting it hahahah. That kept her busy (just for a bit) while we have our dinner! If I decide to start her on porridge, what would be good to start off? besides porridge, can we just also give like mashed potato or sweet potato? sorry to ask so many things, still very new to these hee hee.