Homemade solid on the go

annie

i dont know how much is alot but for my girl now she takes 1/4 cup of uncook rice for 2 meals.. i add 1 3/4 cup of water to mix with this amt of rice.. then give her 1.5cubes of veg per meal.. total 3 cubes of veg and the rice . its like half of the zojirushi container(for porridge only) for her 2 meals..

oh my girl was ok for the 3 days of banana. i share the banana with her. i eat one mouth then pass to her to bite one mouth then she snatch from me then half of the banana kana snatch by her so she play with the half banana hehe.

anyway my girl also. i tried giving her a bowl then put carrots inside.. but then she didnt pick up the carrots. she pickup the bowl and throw on the floor! so i stopped giving her bowl.. now i just hand her the food cube then she will bite while im holding or sometimes she will snatch from me and crash it with her hands lol.

i realise she is very skeptical with the food i give her. everything the first mouth she sure dont open mouth. just use her lips to taste the food.. then after tasting and its accpetable to her, she will open her mouth when i feed her the 2nd mouth...lol

yah yah.. i give my girl avocado to let her taste it at first.. then 2nd day i mix into her porridge. end up she ate 3 mouthful then cry. so i ended up throwing away the whole porridge!

snowbear, how many days did it takes for the allergic reaction to occur for alicia that time?

Last edited:

snowbear

Annie, Kaitlyn is 6 months now. So far I tried Frisocreme and since she finished that, I just bought another brand Heinz Rice Cereal for her nanny to try out. All these cereal just add water or milk. So I have not tried any other types of food yet. I dont't really have much chance to coz I only get her back at night and by that time its more like just giving her milk before she sleep. I try to feed her the rice cereal on weekends at home but if we go out then its still just formula milk that I bring out LOL...so still no chance to try other things. She now only have one bottom tooth just coming out from her gum hahaha. Since she likes to put things into her mouth at this stage, that day I cut some carrot (in stick form) and gave her LOL. she seems to enjoy sucking and biting it hahahah. That kept her busy (just for a bit) while we have our dinner! If I decide to start her on porridge, what would be good to start off? besides porridge, can we just also give like mashed potato or sweet potato? sorry to ask so many things, still very new to these hee hee.
besides porridge u can give potatoes and sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients though while potatoes's mainly carbo. You can mix other purees into the mashed potatoes to make it more nutritious like carrot puree, pea puree... even fish (just flake it). If the mashed potato's too dry (usually it is), just add a bit of water or stock to make it less pasty, easier to swallow. Young babies usually can't swallow dry food so well.

snowbear

i dont know how much is alot but for my girl now she takes 1/4 cup of uncook rice for 2 meals.. i add 1 3/4 cup of water to mix with this amt of rice.. then give her 1.5cubes of veg per meal.. total 3 cubes of veg and the rice . its like half of the zojirushi container(for porridge only) for her 2 meals..

oh my girl was ok for the 3 days of banana. i share the banana with her. i eat one mouth then pass to her to bite one mouth then she snatch from me then half of the banana kana snatch by her so she play with the half banana hehe.

anyway my girl also. i tried giving her a bowl then put carrots inside.. but then she didnt pick up the carrots. she pickup the bowl and throw on the floor! so i stopped giving her bowl.. now i just hand her the food cube then she will bite while im holding or sometimes she will snatch from me and crash it with her hands lol.

i realise she is very skeptical with the food i give her. everything the first mouth she sure dont open mouth. just use her lips to taste the food.. then after tasting and its accpetable to her, she will open her mouth when i feed her the 2nd mouth...lol

yah yah.. i give my girl avocado to let her taste it at first.. then 2nd day i mix into her porridge. end up she ate 3 mouthful then cry. so i ended up throwing away the whole porridge!
alicia last time also taste with lips first. but now even smarter.. always LOOK and STARE at the food to rem how it looks then taste it. If she doesn't like it, next time u give her she'll not open her mouth also.

When i give her the carrot cubes, she'll play with them, put some into her mouth and throw some onto the floor. With bread, she'll tear it up into crumbs and try to play with them. I don't give that to her to play with anymore... she plays with her food and i dun want her to cultivate the habit of playing with her food.

annie

ooh.. i read somewhere that its perfectly fine for them to play with the food cos they examine n explore the food they are eating which makes them confidence to self feed in future.. so i allow my girl to explore her food unless she super messy then i will take away from her la lol. she loves putting her hands into her mouth n take a bit of the food out then look at it n then put back into her mouth lol. then her hands so dirty.. then sometimes she go pull her ear n touch her hair with the dirty hands! i used to clean up after her every touch but ive stopped doing so cos i realise im too busy cleaning her up instead of feeding her.. so now i let her do wat she wants then i clean up after the meal...

btw, any idea wat i can give my girl for her veg that are nutritious? it seems like not much choice for a 7.5mths on the net.. i everyday give her same food lol. its like everyday sweet potato, carrots n sometimes pumpkin/squash.. looks boring.. i wanna try peas next. dunno its nutritious or not. any other veg she can take that is nutritious enough? her carrots n sweet potatoes supply will finish tmr...

snowbear

ooh.. i read somewhere that its perfectly fine for them to play with the food cos they examine and explore the food they are eating which makes them confidence to self feed in future.. so i allow my girl to explore her food unless she super messy then i will take away from her lol. she loves putting her hands into her mouth and take a bit of the food out then look at it and then put back into her mouth lol. then her hands so dirty.. then sometimes she go pull her ear and touch her hair with the dirty hands! i used to clean up after her every touch but ive stopped doing so cos i realise im too busy cleaning her up instead of feeding her.. so now i let her do what she wants then i clean up after the meal...

btw, any idea what i can give my girl for her veg that are nutritious? it seems like not much choice for a 7.5mths on the net.. i everyday give her same food lol. its like everyday sweet potato, carrots and sometimes pumpkin/squash.. looks boring.. i wanna try peas next. dont know its nutritious or not. any other veg she can take that is nutritious enough? her carrots and sweet potatoes supply will finish tomorrow...
she obviously has no intentions of eating the bread. Doesn't even put any part of it into the mouth. Just wants to play with it and tear it up, throw it everywhere. Look at her naughty face and that glint in her eyes i just know that it's just for fun. When i put gerbers stars on the tray she'll pick it up skilfully and into the mouth! So there's a GREAT BIG difference!

ya, u can give her pea puree. It's nutritious too. I gave her spinach, broccoli, cauliflower and french beans. You may wanna give spinach later if u're worried abt nitrates. Broccoli and cauliflower use only the florets coz the stalk may cause wind. French beans are super difficult to puree!!!

annie

ok.. ive emailed zojirushi's customer service.. see if they can give me a refund or exchange. i really like the design though.. how i wish it can work well...

i tried looking for frozen peas but cant find yet. hehe. for fresh ones, can i freeze them before puree? then thaw the amt i want n puree it?

snowbear

ok.. ive emailed zojirushi's customer service.. see if they can give me a refund or exchange. i really like the design though.. how i wish it can work well...

i tried looking for frozen peas but cant find yet. hehe. for fresh ones, can i freeze them before puree? then thaw the amt i want and puree it?
puree then freeze... usually i puree in a batch then freeze (just like any other type of veg)

annie

oh i mean those that i didnt puree. like if i buy a packet, then i puree only a batch but still alot left. those can freeze? then thaw before puree next time?

so how u thaw those batch of puree veg? microwave?

snowbear

oh i mean those that i didnt puree. like if i buy a packet, then i puree only a batch but still alot left. those can freeze? then thaw before puree next time?

so how you thaw those batch of puree veg? microwave?
Yes, for frozen peas you can do that... i think wholesomebabyfood.com has an answer abt this in its FAQ.

but if it's normal veg if got a lot left, i'd just cook it for dinner for dear husband and myself to eat. :) I think cannot freeze it then cook, puree then freeze again. It's not the same as frozen food we buy from the supermarket.

I put the puree veg in baby cubes. If i need it the next day i will take it out from the freezer today for it to thaw in the fridge. Then the next day i use baby food warmer to warm it up at 70degC or just steam it up. I dont believe in microwave ovens so my house doesn't have one. :001_302:

Last edited:

annie

hmm like that ah.. cos i was planning to buy frozen peas but cant find.. then thougth if getting those unfrozen ones.. but then like that means i will be buying those home, take wat i need to puree n then freeze up the rest.. then next time when i need i will have to take another, defroze n then puree n freeze again wor. like that cannot right? hmm.. so i better freeze in large puree batches?

snowbear

hmm like that .. cos i was planning to buy frozen peas but cant find.. then thougth if getting those unfrozen ones.. but then like that means i will be buying those home, take what i need to puree and then freeze up the rest.. then next time when i need i will have to take another, defroze and then puree and freeze again . like that cannot right? hmm.. so i better freeze in large puree batches?
if buying the fresh ones just cook the remainder up for yourself and dh then... Cannot defrost n freeze again...

shespice

Hello, I see that you girls prepare baby's food and freeze into cubes..... I have yet to do all this but wondering how. For veg, pureed like blending the veg in a blender? Then after that pour into moulds? Do we need to buy special moulds or use those for making ice cubes? When you mention stock, does it mean boiling soup eg chicken then also freeze it? Thanks.

snowbear

Hello, I see that you girls prepare baby's food and freeze into cubes..... I have yet to do all this but wondering how. For veg, pureed like blending the veg in a blender? Then after that pour into moulds? Do we need to buy special moulds or use those for making ice cubes? When you mention stock, does it mean boiling soup eg chicken then also freeze it? Thanks.
yup, you can use a blender to blend the veg then pour into ice-cube trays. When frozen, just pop them into ziploc bag and label the date n what veg it is. When u need it, just take out as many cubes u need from the freezer 1 day before to thaw in the fridge. Warm it up using the baby food warmer or steam it.

You can buy special containers for storing purees. I use baby cubes. But if u're making a lot of puree to store then it's quite expensive to buy so many. Ice-cube tray with cover will do actually.

Yes, boiling stock is boiling soup.:001_302: You shld start with veg stock first before proceeding to chicken/pork stock coz your bb has to start on chicken/pork first to be accustomed to the taste of the meat otherwise bb will find the taste of the stock too strong and reject it. Intro meat at about 8 months of age. You can freeze stock. That's abt the only thing i freeze for her nowadays...

annie

i use normal ice cube tray. wat is baby cubes snowbear?

today i tried to grate the uncook apples for my girl but then it turn brown so soon! n very watery... i think i still prefer the cooked apples cos they dun oxidise on me..

shespice

oh thanks snowbear. what would be a good veg to start with?
and yeah as annie was asking, what are baby cubes lol. can find at dept stores?

annie