Homemade solid on the go

annie

snowbear, u give alicia raw grated apples right? does it oxidise? can we still give them after oxidise? my apples oxidise immediately after i grate! i freeze them immediately liao but then the look of it.. i dunno can give my girl or not leh...dunno if i should throw n go buy a new apple n cook before mashing it up...

btw, when u wash your tiger container, do u soak it in the sink before u wash it?

snowbear

oh thanks snowbear. what would be a good veg to start with?
and yeah as annie was asking, what are baby cubes lol. can find at dept stores?
Attached is a photo of baby cubes. I bought mine at momsrus at united sq. Dun think they're available at dept stores...

A good veg to start with is sweet potato. Packed full with nutrients, soft and easy to puree. :)

Attachments

snowbear

snowbear, you give alicia raw grated apples right? does it oxidise? can we still give them after oxidise? my apples oxidise immediately after i grate! i freeze them immediately but then the look of it.. i dont know can give my girl or not ...dont know if i should throw and go buy a new apple and cook before mashing it up...

btw, when you wash your tiger container, do you soak it in the sink before you wash it?
i don't grate it. I just scrape with a metal teaspoon as i feed her. So it doesn't oxidise so fast. Apple when in small bits oxidises faster. The wholesomebaby.com site says it's ok to give apples that have turned brownish... so i guess it's ok to give oxidised apples? :) So far i don't though.

annie

oh.. hmm.. i think i gonna buy new apples. see liao a bit scared lol.

the baby cubes looks big. how many ml in a cube u know?

annie

oh..i emailed zojirushi they say cannot soak it. faint. i did la cos the rice stuck there soak liao easier to wash ma.. anyway they ask me to send back to them n they will check on it. see how ba.

anyway i give my girl rice last night n she can take it! lol. cos i cook for me n hubby then she looks like she wanna eat so i let her try. end up she is ok so i gave her quite alot of rice.. hehe. hubby keep saying scared she choke on it. hehe. she dun need porridge liao. can take rice haha. i onyl worry bout her digestion cannot take it.

snowbear

oh..i emailed zojirushi they say cannot soak it. faint. i did cos the rice stuck there soak easier to wash .. anyway they ask me to send back to them and they will check on it. see how .

anyway i give my girl rice last night and she can take it! lol. cos i cook for me and hubby then she looks like she wanna eat so i let her try. end up she is ok so i gave her quite alot of rice.. hehe. hubby keep saying scared she choke on it. hehe. she dont need porridge . can take rice haha. i onyl worry bout her digestion cannot take it.
haha... shld be fine. :) Alicia also always looks at our rice and i've given her rice before. Anyway I made the porridge i cooked using the jap rice more pasty today and made little balls with them n popped them into alicia's mouth. She likes it! :tlaugh: funny gal, give her using spoon she dun want. I also let her try bottled food today - first time. Bought the beef casserole thingy for her. Not salty but taste quite nice. Was afraid she won't accept the beefy taste but she took to it quite well.

Anyway, i kept the porridge in my tiger container just now n when i opened it 2 hours later it was just as warm as when i put it in. 6 hrs later when i was abt to throw away the food, it was still warm, though not as warm as when i chked earlier on. :)

annie

anyone tried making oatmeal cereal without grinding up the oats? i wonder if its possible. i always grind them into powder then stir into boiling water but n serve plain or add fruits but then sometimes feel a bit boring so thinking of other ways to change the consistency/taste of it.. hehe. am thinking of making it into finger food also when my girl is slightly older... any suggestion?

stonston

Annie, buy baby oats. After cooking the texture is cereal-like so you do not need to grind the oats before cooking. Also, baby oats are gentler on the digestive system and easier for them to digest :)

RE: Kiddos playing with food
It's normal tt they DO NOT KNOW IT IS FOOD. they'll jus play with it. They learn by imitating. so eat the SAME THING in front of them. show them tt they r suppose to put it in their mouths and not play with it. after a few tries they will get it and put the food in their mouth (it's also good they dun anyhow put things in their mouth, isnt it?)

RE: Oxidized apples
It's ok to give oxidized apples but in human minds, brown = spoil!
if u hv already introduced citrus fruits to ur kiddo, u can add abit of orange juice to the apple to prevent oxidation. or u can blanch the apples to prevent oxidation. it's good to use cooked apples if introducing apple for the first time as it will make the apple easier to digest and also helps to bring out the sweetness in apple so they'll accept it better :)

annie

i read that we can use lemon juice but ive never tried it la. cooked apples dosent oxidise so i give her cooked ones.. the brown ones really look a big off to me lol.

baby oats? hmm.. how to get ah?? my side all i can find is those normal oats n i always grind to powder... bb oats is instant or wat? my sister coming to japan, if can get her to buy big big tin then i shall try to get her to buy it for me hehe

stonston

Baby oats is slightly different from normal oats. it's nicer to eat and the texture is smoother. i usually get the organic versions since the price is comparable with the regular ones. larger supermarkets will hv them in SG :)

crystal79

Baby oats is slightly different from normal oats. it's nicer to eat and the texture is smoother. i usually get the organic versions since the price is comparable with the regular ones. larger supermarkets will have them in SG :)
Hi stonston,

Hw do we cook the baby oats or normal oats??? wat can we add to the oats?? i oso got thought of buying oats cereal from the supermarket and cook for my dear daughter... :001_302:

stonston

For baby oats I just cook with milk until creamy.
For normal oats also cook with milk, but gotta keep stirring so it's more creamy.

U can add anything from fruits to vege to cheese :) jus experiment :)
my son loves it when we put mango puree and small apple bits.

annie

yea crsytal, be creative. u can add almost anything to everything. for cereal i cook with normal water or fruits/veg stocks cos its not advisable to use cow milk for cooking below 8mths old. unless u wanna add your breastmilk into the cooked cereal to make it more creamy. i usually add fruits to cereal n veg to porridge.

stonston

I add my son's formula milk now cos I dun wan to try other milks tt he might not be used it. Just use the milk your baby is familiar with (can be breastmilk or formula milk).

annie

hmm breastmilk can be used for cooking? wont the nutrients be lost?

i dun give formula thus cant use formula.. then cant use cow milk also. i can start using cow milk soon though but then i dun really want to take the risk hee.

btw, my girl's digestive system seems strange. she took seaweed a week ago n only comes out in her poo today(morning) but this morning she took brocoli for the 1st time n then it came out just now! totally not digested... in this case, should i give her the brocoli again tmr or should i hold on it since its not digested?

stonston

I used breastmilk for cooking and for making yogurt also. No choice cos at tt time he din even drink formula milk yet, so I dun dare to anyhow use any milk except what he is used to :)

Seaweed is full of insoluble fibre. It's very hard to digest even for adults, much less a baby. If you want to give seaweed (it's full of minerals!), try giving powdered unseasoned seaweed instead. or blend it until very smooth.

For broccoli you need to mash/cut it until very fine pieces else won't digest easily. It's ok to continue feeding as long as she did not show any discomfort or allergy :)