How to get BM flowing?

princessminn

I juz gif birth to my DS few days bk.
I din latch him on day one as i was too exhausted from labour.
Wanted to do so after tt.
Being a veri impatience bb,he rarely latch on.
And i realise,my BM doesnt seems to flow.
Nurse told mi tt i gt BM.
Anyone can advice on how to get e BM flow other than let my DS latch on?

Thanks in advance.=)

isabelandrew

i learnt that latching is the best. supply will come in gradually. you need to rest well, drink lots of water, hot milo, papaya fish soup, fenugreek seeds to help to increase.

what i did was to just latch my bb latch on. even though i can see no milk. actually the lactation consultant is right. you got milk one just that it is trying to build up. but it does need your help to 'stimulate' the flow.

Daddy D

Alpha Male
U can try booking an appt with the lactation nurse in the hospital... they shld be able to advise better.
Last time my DW also... 1st nite at home... bb cry like mad... DW kan cheong spider... went back hospital... doc says cos bb hungry... DUH... 3am!

After tat, lactation nurse taught DW how to massage massage... to open the pores... so BM flows out more easily.
And it's a "Use more, Flow more" thingy bah... if bb find easier alternative like bottle feed... then less inclined to suckle.... thus harder to latch on.

Spiralng

If u r too tired to let your baby latch on, you must try to pump every 2 hours. In the beginning, you won't pump out much milk sometimes, u only get a few drops but most importantly, pumping is to tell your body to produce more milk.

So during your confinement, if baby don't latch, you must keep pumping like nobody's business....bored...u pump...baby sleeping also pump....read this forum also pump....whatever u do, dun stop otherwise, milk flow will reduce.:Dancing_tongue::Dancing_tongue:

Daddy D

Alpha Male
If u r too tired to let your baby latch on, you must try to pump every 2 hours. In the beginning, you won't pump out much milk sometimes, u only get a few drops but most importantly, pumping is to tell your body to produce more milk.

So during your confinement, if baby don't latch, you must keep pumping like nobody's business....bored...u pump...baby sleeping also pump....read this forum also pump....whatever u do, dun stop otherwise, milk flow will reduce.:Dancing_tongue::Dancing_tongue:
Hmm... when u sleep also can pump... battery operated... haha! :p

snowbear

haha... yup, i agree with you. My dd refused to latch in the first month so i just pumped my way through till she could finally latch in the 2nd month. Relax, get enuff fluids and eat properly and get some rest to produce more milk! Jia you!!!:Dancing_wub:

princessminn

does it hurts so much to pump?or my pump not good enuf?how to slp n pump wor?i sit n pump already difficult to let e milk flow le.

autumn82

does it hurts so much to pump?or my pump not good enuf?how to slp n pump wor?i sit n pump already difficult to let e milk flow le.
U have to massage yr breast darling.. Drink something hot b4 pumping helps too. Oh ya, I find that try not to sit directly infront of the fan and pump.. Seems like won't flow much out for me. LOL. :p

princessminn

U have to massage yr breast darling.. Drink something hot b4 pumping helps too. Oh ya, I find that try not to sit directly infront of the fan and pump.. Seems like won't flow much out for me. LOL. :p
i'll try again later.hopefully e flow can get flowin faster.very painful to let e machine keep sucking e nipples.

Daddy D

Alpha Male
U never see how the lactation nurse does the massaging... really use her COW's strength on my DW! My DW buay tahan....
Like martial arts movie... open all the acupoints pattern....

After that BM flow n flow... cannot stop... BF for more than 15 months! :)

dinida

hi all...how long do i nd to keep pumping everytime? everytime i pump, so pathetic...not even reach 10ml..sumtimes not even 5ml after half hour pumping both sides! :'(

uddermummy

minn, try using hot compress and taking a hot shower. it will help the milk to flow faster. yeah, like what the other say, can try massaging in the shower to get the milk flowing also.

massaging can be gentle, don't really need to use brute strength.

when using pump, remember to set to the lowest setting and give your nipples a break after a few min if you cannot tahan the pain.

stonston

Pumping milk should not be painful. It could be that you are not using the machine right or the funnels are too small for you.

Expressing milk was a breeze for me once I learnt how to properly use it and I've been helping my frens with expressing too. It's suppose to be comfortable and easy process. if you are having difficulties or find it painful, you can see a lactation consultant or ask a fren who is experienced to help you.

Its not painful for me when i use the pump, but its like so miserable lor... 1 hour, 50ml only... and the breast still like very full...

stonston

Its not painful for me when i use the pump, but its like so miserable lor... 1 hour, 50ml only... and the breast still like very full...

remember to massage.
this is wot i used to do:
- pump (quick pace) for 5min
- pause to massage
- pump (slow pace) for 15 min
- pause to massage
- pump and massage at same time for 10 min to totally empty the breasts

quite effective for me. sometimes the massage part need to add warm towel, esp if u feel some lumps in ur breasts.

remember to massage.
this is wot i used to do:
- pump (quick pace) for 5min
- pause to massage
- pump (slow pace) for 15 min
- pause to massage
- pump and massage at same time for 10 min to totally empty the breasts

quite effective for me. sometimes the massage part need to add warm towel, esp if u feel some lumps in ur breasts.
Ok, thanks, I will try!

Cheyenne

HI, I also just gave birth a couple a week ago. BF was little for the last few days, but it increase gradually (yeh!!!), thou not as much, but still enough for 1-2 feeds. While the rest of the feeds are on formula.

For me, years back, totally no BF.no matter how hard I tried.So this time, very happy and satified for BF. Now pumping at least 3 times a day. Last night, lazy, end up soil my PJ on both side when I woke up this morning.

For me, when using the manual pump :
first few pump, rather painful, so pump slowly.
Next few pump, more steady and BF will flow faster
Also lazy and difficult to latch on - wound still hurts, got long stitches,can't turn properly when babe get angry. So prefer to pump.

And drink plenty of water. I feel v. thirsty after every pump.

You can do it. Let motivate each other. You must set your mind positive that you got BF for your little one, then it will come. Dun stress yrself.:Dancing_wub:

Spiralng

Hmm... when u sleep also can pump... battery operated... haha! :p
Hee hee....u hv to read carefully, is baby sleep u pump but when i pump, can fall asleep... and i am using electric pump dun hv to worry about dead batteries.

Spiralng

In the beginning, the breast milk will be very little cos most new born will drink about 1-2oz. So when pumping, to get slightly more milk, can apply slight pressure to your breast sort of like squeezing the breast when pumping.