How to get BM flowing?

Still about 50ml for an hour... but at least my breast dun feel so pain now...
now still abit full, rest for awhile... gonna continue pumping later... :d

princessminn

yippie!veri happy tt my bm getting more n more these few days.pumping hurts lesser nw,after seeking help.pump abt ten mins dere is abt,50ml ba.but one side cant pump much which makes mi veri sad.:( somemore tt side will hurt.
How do i noe e funnel is too small for mi?i feel e funnel is too small but nt veri sure.
and oso,hw i noe i've emptied my breasts ah?

Jia you all bf-ing mummies!

snowbear

yippie!veri happy tt my bm getting more n more these few days.pumping hurts lesser nw,after seeking help.pump abt ten mins dere is abt,50ml ba.but one side cant pump much which makes mi veri sad.:( somemore tt side will hurt.
How do i noe e funnel is too small for mi?i feel e funnel is too small but nt veri sure.
and oso,hw i noe i've emptied my breasts ah?

Jia you all bf-ing mummies!
If the pump is pulling only on your nipple then the funnel is too small for you. That could be why your nipples hurt.

Your breasts should feel soft after pumping. Chk for hard lumps (that means got blocked ducts).

Glad to know that you're pumping more!!! :)

princessminn

If the pump is pulling only on your nipple then the funnel is too small for you. That could be why your nipples hurt.

Your breasts should feel soft after pumping. Chk for hard lumps (that means got blocked ducts).

Glad to know that you're pumping more!!! :)

ic.then i guess my one is too small.boo hoo.need to go eat bigger one le.

uddermummy

yeah, the pump should fit your whole aerola.

this is what doris fok taught me when i had engorgement:

1. massage the breast in circular motion and feel for any blocked ducts.
2. jiggle the breast like you are making milk shake
3. massage the breast again, this time stroking towards your nipple.
4. If you want to, you can hand express some milk out first.
5. Use your thumb and index finger to form a 'u' shape and then press inwards around the aerola with the areola between the fingers.

i found that doing a day of hand expressing actually helped me to pump more milk the next day; from 6o mil both breasts to 60 mil each breast.
and i never had to hand express anymore!:Dancing_wub:

stonston

blocked ducts in ur nipples.
u can try put a warm towel on ur nipple/breast.
then press down onto ur ribcage n rub in circular motion (rub the lump).
then u use ur finger n thumb to 'pinch' ur nipple, pulling it outwards (like milking cow).
it should help release the milk tt's stuck there.

alternate the above with pumping and it'll help to clear up the blocked duct.

btw, before u start the above, take a clean moist cotton wool to clean ur nipples, rub away the dead skin tt might be clogging the milk ducts.

uddermummy

i used to have blocked ducts too.

but once bb could latch on properly and nurse well, the lumps disappeared and the ducts were unblocked...

now everytime i bf, i feel around for any hard lumps and massage those areas while bb feeds.

Hehe, now so happy. If pump both breast at the same time, about 15 mins can get 50ml... :D. If single pump each breast will be 30mins for 50ml...

princessminn

i use pump,milk flow out veri slow.
I use hand to press faster,but my hands will ache.
my nipples lik grow bilsters lik tt,so painful when pump.
duno is it something wrong wif my pump or my nipples.-_-"""
anyone has any idea y?

uddermummy

i use pump,milk flow out veri slow.
I use hand to press faster,but my hands will ache.
my nipples lik grow bilsters lik tt,so painful when pump.
duno is it something wrong wif my pump or my nipples.-_-"""
anyone has any idea y?
eh, probably prob is with your pump and not your nipples. Cos you've always had your nipples and they didn't use to hurt right. :)

funnel might be too small. the funnel should have allowance for the nipple to be pulled slightly.

don't be too garang when using the pump, take it easy and let your nipples get used to it.

joanne6298

for me, i drink salmon + papaya soup.. than u will have a lot a lot of milk.

during my confinement,my MIL cook. i everyday drink. i 3rd day got engorment than pump out little for 2 days than 6th day the supply is like hell...

so much till i cannot stand coz need to pump every hr.. and always got 150ml and more..

NOw i stop drinking only drink once a week or when my milk supply is low.. but whenever i drink i can pump out 180ml.. which i think is a lot. LOL

princessminn

does stress affect milk supply?
now i pump abt one hr can get 120ml,sometimes more.
but sometimes i cant pump much out,maybe juz 60ml?
feeling kind of stress up these days...

wat other thingy eat liao can have more milk?

joanne6298

yes stress and not enough slp will affect ur supply..

i oni know this method.. if not u try to eat more fish and papaya

Frenchkitty

Wish to find out... for those of you mummies who latch baby on, then when will you pump out and keep in fridge?

Because I find that if I latch and express, my nipples will be very sore and painful... maybe over abused hahaha
and everytime after latching on, I can only manage to express 10-20ml.
I wish to BF and express to store the EBM for outings use. How do you ladies do it?

dinida

for me, i drink salmon + papaya soup.. than u will have a lot a lot of milk.

during my confinement,my MIL cook. i everyday drink. i 3rd day got engorment than pump out little for 2 days than 6th day the supply is like hell...

so much till i cannot stand coz need to pump every hr.. and always got 150ml and more..

NOw i stop drinking only drink once a week or when my milk supply is low.. but whenever i drink i can pump out 180ml.. which i think is a lot. LOL
hi joanne6298, can share with us ur MIL's recipe for papaya soup? im trying to increase my bm supply ffor dd...thnx!!

stonston

Wish to find out... for those of you mummies who latch baby on, then when will you pump out and keep in fridge?

Because I find that if I latch and express, my nipples will be very sore and painful... maybe over abused hahaha
and everytime after latching on, I can only manage to express 10-20ml.
I wish to BF and express to store the EBM for outings use. How do you ladies do it?
if ur nipples r sore, it could be:
1. baby is not latching well
2. the pump's funnel size is not right for u

solutions:
1. adjust the way baby latch, make sure baby is not sucking on the nipple only but the whole areola (the dark pigmented area)
2. change the funnel size to a large one to reduce the rubbing of ur nipples agst the funnel

u can also try using some nipple cream after u latch/pump, air ur nipples for a while to let it heal :)

princessminn

if ur nipples r sore, it could be:
1. baby is not latching well
2. the pump's funnel size is not right for u

solutions:
1. adjust the way baby latch, make sure baby is not sucking on the nipple only but the whole areola (the dark pigmented area)
2. change the funnel size to a large one to reduce the rubbing of ur nipples agst the funnel

u can also try using some nipple cream after u latch/pump, air ur nipples for a while to let it heal :)
I find Nipple creams do help.at 1st i pump,my nipples hurts alot.now after using nipple cream for a few days,it no longer hurts when i pump.=)