how to store the medicines?

yo mummy..juz knwn frm nurse dat medicines can nt store in the fridge.put at warm place should b.. but before i knw,i hv kept those baby medicines in the fridge.so can i take them out to keep at warm place?coz as i knw if thgs have put in fridge,muz keep in fridge again.otherwise will spoil.. wat should i do,mum?

apollo

usually when ds is ill, that few days when he needs to take the medi.. only after he recovers, when we noe he confirm dont need to take the medi, we will keep in the fridge.. my fridge is machiam ds's mini pharmacy -.-"

the nurse told me if i do not want to keep in the fridge when ds need them tt few days, just keep at cooling places. dont place it directly to sunlight, beside kettle, cooker, oven etc will do =)

camom

Depends on what med actually. My son was prescribed with 1 antibiotic before and we were told expressly it can't be kept in fridge cos once crystals form, it's ineffective and need to throw.

For the rest, I will put in fridge once not required but remember to clear the section regularly.

Ting

same as regina, only first few days then i leave it at room temp. after that, i will keep in the fridge, doc say its OK.
Sg temp is pretty warm n humid, unless ur hse is air conditioned the whole day, would be better to place in the fridge.
in clinics, they r air conditioned whole day, so its diff.

fioncess

Those unopen med i'll keep in a cool dry place.. those open med i'll keep it in fridge..

diymummy

I never put the medicine in the fridge unless specifically told to do so.

Cool place, away from sunlight and direct heat will do.

Whether you can thaw the refridgerated medication would depend on the medication. You would have to check back with the clinic about that.

Phoebii Cheng

So far the nurses & my son's PD said it is ok to keep it in fridge.....btw, why cannot keep the meds in fridge? any special reason?

diymummy

I've learnt that whether medicine or food, after kept in fridge, once "thawed" must consume immediately. Cannot store it back.

Also for antibiotics, PD also did mention about the crystalisation of the components.

In any case for medication, after opening even if you keep in fridge or store in cool place, need to consume within 3 mths, otherwise need to throw.

jasobias

yo mummy..just knwn frm nurse dat medicines can not store in the fridge.put at warm place should b.. but before i knw,i have kept those baby medicines in the fridge.so can i take them out to keep at warm place?coz as i knw if thgs have put in fridge,must keep in fridge again.otherwise will spoil.. what should i do,mum?
B4 putting meds in fridge i wld stick scotch tape to the labels to "waterproof"it coz labels get damn sometimes n unreadable.Really works n i have no probs so far.I wld also use waterproof marker n write dosage on top of the cover n also label like cough,cold..etc.Makes it easier to look for it.

drmoomoo

I don put medicine in the fridge unless it is necessary as stated. I think if you have placed the medicine in the fridge and this is your usual practice, it is better not to take the old medicine out and keep it outside. Maybe you can start the new practice for new medicine. :)

Ting

uhh, i normally nvr thaw the medicine i put in the fridge.
just take out, pour out the amt i want then give pin, then put back.

apollo

uhh, i normally never thaw the medicine i put in the fridge.
just take out, pour out the amt i want then give pin, then put back.
me too, esp when ds suddenly ill den cannot wait for the medi to thaw, so just feed him.. but if is new medi den i will not put in fridge 1st until he dont nd it.. haha..

aft reading diymummy's post, i think i gonna go n throw some of the medi away. haha.. my fridge is lik a mini pharmacy for ds -.-"""

CanCanMum

i normally put inside fridge for leftovers

if baber was still sick will juz leave it at room temperature

in the end i have so many bottles of leftovers, juz discarded at least 20 bottles dated 2008 lolsssssssssss

iwan2noe

before putting meds in fridge i wld stick scotch tape to the labels to "waterproof"it coz labels get damn sometimes n unreadable.Really works n i have no probs so far.I wld also use waterproof marker n write dosage on top of the cover n also label like cough,cold..etc.Makes it easier to look for it.

Hi jasobias,

I think u hae a good practice. must learn from u =)
thanks for sharing :)

What i did was to write what is the med for..but realise after a while when it touches water, it either fade out or the label is damaged thus rendering the label useless ...

Ting

me too, esp when dear son suddenly ill then cannot wait for the medi to thaw, so just feed him.. but if is new medi then i will not put in fridge 1st until he dont need it.. haha..

after reading diymummy's post, i think i gonna go n throw some of the medi away. haha.. my fridge is lik a mini pharmacy for dear son -.-"""
me too..but my mum say can keep for 6 mths worr..
:err:

Phoebii Cheng

So like for those med tht is in my fridge, if I need it then take the amt tht I want then put it back in fridge, can or not?

And also does it apply to pills too? or just liquid medicine?

diymummy

It really depends on the med for shelf life... For babies, I will throw after 3 mths.

If it's my own meds like cough mixture or pills, I keep up to 1 year.

stonston

Different medications have different storage instructions.

Some antibiotics need to be kept in the fridge due to some ingredients which spoil easily. However, there are some which needs to be at room temperature else the minerals in the antibiotics will form crystals and become ineffective.

For general medication like cough syrup, runny nose medication and phelgm medication are usually alright if kept in fridge or at room temperature.

I usually keep them in the fridge because it's not easily reached by my boy. He knows how to climb up the counter top to open the top shelves so keep meds there isn't safe anymore.