If there is no dilation, can induced still be done?

tulip_nel

Dear Mummies,

Wonder any mummies have tis experience? If there is still no dilation after past 40 weeks, can induced still be done?Or only can by caesar? Will induced be very painful?

PinkDiamonds

Usually if u r past due the gynae will recommend to induce first. If you still can't then they will go for C-section. Of course, u can opt for c-section w/o trying for induce.

chiro

as i didnot dilate after being induced 3 times, ihad a c section.

I gota be induced as my weight did not increase for,the whole mth..

izanyzam

I was told by my gynae that i might have to be induced once i reach 38weeks due to my high blood pressure..Are there any mummies who've had successful inductions although they have not reached their 40th week..??

vivikool

Hi check with you if without any dilatation and before edd can be induced anot???
Had my check-up today and posted the same qn to my gynae. In fact i wanted to opt for induction next mon but my gynae objected to it cos i have not dilated yet (I have just completed my week 38).

He said, if induction is done when no dilation, there is a chance that induction may not be successful and end up gotta c-sec which i do not want.

So i guess if you are prepared to c-sec in case if induction failed, it can be done..

ZombieMum

I was told by my gynae that i might have to be induced once i reach 38weeks due to my high blood pressure..Are there any mummies who've had successful inductions although they have not reached their 40th week..??
Yup, I was 1 of them! :) Was exactly like ur condition for my 1st pregnancy. I suddenly had high blood pressure nearing EDD (ard 36-37 weeks) and did not go down, stayed at quite a high reading. So, gynae adviced to induce at 38 weeks. I was lucky I was prone to the effectiveness of the drug (induce tablet) and managed to have contractions and dialation, and most importantly can do vaginal/natural delivery!

Best of luck to u for the induction! ;-)

Fadeela

Hi Mummy Izan,

i was induced at 38 week which was last week due to my waterbag leakage.
and i have sucessfully given normal birth to my baby. i was induced twice with prostin tablet and my cervix soften and they manage to proceed with normal labour. induction is a long process I was admitted on 22/10 but gave birth only on 25/10
I did a lot of squats & walking while in hospital. Anyway good luck to you.

CanCanMum

Dear Mummies,

Wonder any mummies have tis experience? If there is still no dilation after past 40 weeks, can induced still be done?Or only can by caesar? Will induced be very painful?
i was induced without any dilation at 38 weeks 2 days

They will insert the dilation pill for u at the uterus area, its supposed to soften/thin the uterus to make it easier to dilate.

after which it may start to dilate, starting at 2cm and so forth.

they will monitor yr fetus heartbeat to ensure there is no distress or complications or bacteria infection (if waterbag burst), during the entire induction.

the last resort will be using oxytocin drip, IF there is still slow dilation.

well, the oxytocin drip is painful becoz it speeds up dilation 2x.

i had successfully delivered Baber 4years ago using this method....and it was 16hours long ~~~heeee

so dun forget to surf mummysg while waiting ~~:p

Last edited:

diymummy

I had pre-eclampsia at 36 weeks and didn't have any dilation. Gynae checked, no dilation so went for c-sect. I guess if you have underlying conditions that is endangering, gynae might recommend to go for c-sect instead of inducing.

esta_837

HI all,

I just had my 36 week checkup today, and doc scanned and said blood flow to the bb seems to be slightly low or has dropped a bit, he said I may need to be induced at 38 weeks. Has anyone had this situation before? Is it due to danger of bb not having enough oxygen that's why need to be induced?? I also mentioned to doc that bb is very quiet today - i.e. didn't move much the whole morning, usually very active one. Then doc also said need to send me to hospital this Saturday for CTG monitoring to monitor bb for 20mins to see if ok. That made me worry even more.

I have no idea what being induced means - do you also choose a date to have it done? I didn't think of asking the doc just now because I was quite shocked to hear all that. I'm also worried over whether induction is always a long process till delivery...i.e. is it going to be a long labour process? Is it also more painful? Did most of you who had induced labour choose also to have an epidural as well?? Does the doc burst your water bag too or is it just putting tablet into the vagina? Somemore checked cervix today and nothing happening yet, not even soften.. =(

Bb's currently 2.8kgs so I'm not too worried about the development of bb, in fact, i'm more worried she's gonna reach 3kg by 38 weeks!! Scared head too big can't fit through my pelvic bone then later need c-section!!? All these possibilities that could happen are making me very anxious and stressed now as I reach near the end of the pregnancy! :embarrassed:

elaineyeo

Had my check-up today and posted the same qn to my gynae. In fact i wanted to opt for induction next mon but my gynae objected to it cos i have not dilated yet (I have just completed my week 38).

He said, if induction is done when no dilation, there is a chance that induction may not be successful and end up gotta c-sec which i do not want.

So i guess if you are prepared to c-sec in case if induction failed, it can be done..

Ic but i dun wish to go for c-sect leh... Think my next check up i check with my gynae see what he say, coz my edd is at 27th nov but i wish to birth on 23rd nov... thats y i wanna go for induced.

shopaholic

Hi check with you if without any dilatation and before edd can be induced anot???
Yes, can be done. I was scheduled to go for induction at 38.5 wks due to baby's weight above 3.5kg. I suppose gynae will advise induction if there's a medical reason to support it. Like some said, there's a risk of failure and may end up c-section. So must be mentally prepared also. Good luck!

lonerjas

Usually if you are past due the gynae will recommend to induce first. If you still can't then they will go for C-section. Of course, you can opt for c-section w/o trying for induce.
Still can induce, but will dilate or not will depends on individual if cant dilate after induce then need to csect.

DOn worry walk more lor hope can dilate. my 1st 2 babies oso no dilation when i admit. 1st 1 is full term 40wk as 2 day overdue, 2nd 1 4 days earlier then 40weeks. Both i manage to Natural birth after induction.

My 3rd 1 i admit with 3cm at 40weeks exact no induction...

usually gynae will advise u try natural 1st, unless ur baby big

karoru

i requested for induce on my EDD wich is around 1 week ago... it was successful with just one insert of the tablet... however, like most of the mummies here mention, the process is very slow... i was very slow to dilate... took almost one day to just dilate 3cm... the insertion was not painful and was quick...

elaineyeo

Yes, can be done. I was scheduled to go for induction at 38.5 wks due to baby's weight above 3.5kg. I suppose gynae will advise induction if there's a medical reason to support it. Like some said, there's a risk of failure and may end up c-section. So must be mentally prepared also. Good luck!

Oic, thanks alot!!! Hope everything will go smoothly when in labour!:Dancing_wub:

lonerjas

i requested for induce on my EDD wich is around 1 week ago... it was successful with just one insert of the tablet... however, like most of the mummies here mention, the process is very slow... i was very slow to dilate... took almost one day to just dilate 3cm... the insertion was not painful and was quick...
ya ver slow. i took 2 tablets leh... 1st time 22hrs 2nd time 11hrs

tulip_nel

Dear Mummies,

Thanks for the reply..

Have seen my gynae today, but there is still no dilation so far :(...

He told that there is low possibility of induction success (20%) if there's no dilation at all... if induction fails, then have to go for c-sect...it will make painful twice.. so we can also consider do c-sect directly w/o induce lor..

Have agreed with him to come back to check again on Mon to make the final decision to do either induce or to directly c-sect lor.. What do mummies think?