'I'll die of pain without an epidural'

skinneybeenie

i gave birth to my first child without epidural. actually i asked at 4cm and got put off by the disclaimer they made me sign. then at 8cm (i din know) i couldn't tahan, but nurse said already 8cm.. i was thinking oh well it couldn't possibly get worse so i went witout.

it helped that my coll (who have 2-3 kids) told me they regretted using for their first child and that they din use in subseq labors, so that gave me the courage.. but their labor was faster than mine.

my actual labor (from water break to baby born) about 12 hours. but i'd say the intense pain was abt 2 h..

skinneybeenie

Agree with you. 6 hours after delivery, I am able to walk myself slowly to the toilet.

I used the laughing gas only when the contraction about to come. But it's tiring cos after every sniff, I am seeing stars. So, my hubby helped to do the job instead, he will monitor the graph and once it's coming, he will put the mask for me to breathe... :)
yep me too. i delivered at 5+pm, ard 8pm pressed nurse call go for wee wee first time, then ard 10 went toilet myself.legs wobbly from the labor.
next day up and abt.. even moved my bowels.. everyday, no constipation.. (not tt i enjoyed it.. haha)

i rmbr this irl next to me who used epi had fever and vomitting whole night until the nurse told her she MUST try and get up by herself the next morn.. cuz more than 12h after her labor, she sill did not get out of the bed..

Autum

I don't know how I did that also. I only have one thing on my mind that moment - to stay calm, breathe in and out steadily. It helps to dilate faster if you stay calm. And most importantly, to push my baby out on time cos doctor say if by 6pm I dont deliver, she will cut me. I m scare of needles and not mentioning the operation "knives".

Wow... you really can bear the pain. Salute!

hearty

autumn, if by 6pm means how many hours you were in labour? A few women I knew who ended up having C-sec or being persuaded to have c-sect around 5 or 6pm....i can't help wondering if it's because doctor wants to go home?

Autum

Hi Hearty, they inserted the medicine at previous night ard 11pm + then only at 9am, they break my water bag and I dilate for 3cm. I think if count from 9am to 6pm, its 9 hours ba. Doc says scare baby in womb too long. So by 6pm, she said she will need to cut me! Anyway, I have no good impression with the gynae. First, her clinic is always packed. Well, I know her biz is good or she may be good but she shld learn to manage. Secondly, I wil always have to asked her questions or find out how labour or pregnancy all about myself in google! She does not advise me at all. I only know dilation, inducement etc when i am 30 weeks. What if mine is early labour? I will be panicking. Thirdly, she CUT my vagina till almost my butt hole there. (sorry for the language) but this is how exactly I would like to describe. Yes, my bb head may be huge or etc but I have checked, if she can encourage me to push a little longer like another 5 mins, i wouldnt have such a long cut and stitches.

autumn, if by 6pm means how many hours you were in labour? A few women I knew who ended up having C-sec or being persuaded to have c-sect around 5 or 6pm....i can't help wondering if it's because doctor wants to go home?

Carisella

i will try not to use epidural and go all natural. my auntie has 4 kids and didnt even use gas. hopefully i can!
Jia you!! I hope i can tahan too.. No one in my family took the epidural too.. As long as I got my hubby by my side, everything is possible :)

I wonder if it's possible to hugg my hubby when i'm in labor.. then if i feel pain, i can squeeze him :D

maneo0302

Jia you!! I hope i can tahan too.. No one in my family took the epidural too.. As long as I got my hubby by my side, everything is possible :)

I wonder if it's possible to hugg my hubby when i'm in labor.. then if i feel pain, i can squeeze him :D
Ur hubby is your wall. :) If natural, u can have your hubby beside you. For c-sect, unless with epi, and in private hosp, hubby can be with u too.

XenXuan

I tried my best to avoid taking epidural,no choice,it's too painful for me to bear..25hrs from 1cm dilation to birth of my son..I only had my epidural at 3cm after 12hrs of the thight injection pain reliever,can't rem the exact name..

I was told to sit down n bend as much as my tummy could allow,hug my tummy,hold tat position very still,with no contractions going on,they inject the epidural on my spine.. No pain during the injection,only the needle poke into skin tat stung me abit.. After that it was RELIEF for me till when I'm ready to push at 10cm dilation,the nurse OFF my epidural to let me have the urge to push.. I'm was like OMG plz dun off,but the nurse say cannot,cuz I totally dun feel the pain,can't push.. I finished it in about 4pushes I think.. 2pushes for the baby's head,i can't bear the pain I stopped,baby's head 1/2way out..

The stitching part is more unbearable for me than the pushing,was sucking so badly on the laughing gas as they removed my epidural already..laughing gas feels like high on drugs type,or for me,too much smoking on cig can get me tat high,like floating off feeling,distraction in ur mind off the pain..

Can't believe I'm gonna go thru this pain again soon in 2mths+/- time.. Time to brace myself,be brave,be strong,I can do it,I will try to do it without epidural.. ^^

XenXuan

Ya,let's try our best together to resist using epidural.. Some mummies dilation is so fast b4 they could wait for the epidural,baby's already out,1hr settled he whole process.. I hope mine will be like tat this time,pain oso only 1hr..

pipilili

i am a first time mum and will definitely take epi. cos i dunno what to expect and dun want to go thru the stress....

I think gynae will also encourage epi bah..
:Dancing_tongue::Dancing_tongue:

XenXuan

It will still depend on how ur gynae/midwife do when u r about to push the baby..during dilation period epidural will be on,but some gynaes will turn off/down the epidural when u reach the pushing stage..they want u to feel the pain to push.. Zzzz

makarios

Mine was a natural birth without epi & gas. Spend 30 hours in the delivery ward cos 2 times induced, only started regular contractions 9 hours before delivery after gynae burst the water bag & started drip.
It was painful--like bad bad stomachache, needing to go bathroom type. When I was 10cm dilated, the contraction pain was making me push. My church choir director taught me the method to push cos she said it is similar to singing and sustaining high notes (using diaphragm muscle). It's quite effective. I pushed 3 times and baby comes out!
And I didn't go for any prenatal class to learn breathing methods and such...So thankful there is no complications.

maneo0302

Mine was a natural birth without epi & gas. Spend 30 hours in the delivery ward cos 2 times induced, only started regular contractions 9 hours before delivery after gynae burst the water bag & started drip.
It was painful--like bad bad stomachache, needing to go bathroom type. When I was 10cm dilated, the contraction pain was making me push. My church choir director taught me the method to push cos she said it is similar to singing and sustaining high notes (using diaphragm muscle). It's quite effective. I pushed 3 times and baby comes out!
And I didn't go for any prenatal class to learn breathing methods and such...So thankful there is no complications.
That's really good!
For me, i may opt for c-sect with GA afterall. Prefer to sleep... :)

XenXuan

i din go for any classes too.. my hubby taught me to go sing KTV,learn the breathing ways as his friend told him its e same breathing method.. take deep breath then slowly breath out as u push.. mine was morning 10am induced,nothing happened till 8pm in the nite then started 1cm dilation,baby was born 25hrs later.. proper breathing methods does helps in the pain relief haha.. after delivery,the wound site hurts badly esp when we 1 sit/lie down,i take deep breath,hold it then sit down/stand up oso helps the pain to be at minimum.. i feel after delivery,my threshold of pain tolerance has been better as knows how to deal with the pain better haha..

makarios

i din go for any classes too.. my hubby taught me to go sing KTV,learn the breathing ways as his friend told him its e same breathing method.. take deep breath then slowly breath out as u push.. mine was morning 10am induced,nothing happened till 8pm in the nite then started 1cm dilation,baby was born 25hrs later.. proper breathing methods does helps in the pain relief haha.. after delivery,the wound site hurts badly esp when we 1 sit/lie down,i take deep breath,hold it then sit down/stand up oso helps the pain to be at minimum.. i feel after delivery,my threshold of pain tolerance has been better as knows how to deal with the pain better haha..
I thot mine already took so long to deliver. Yours even longer!:) Pei Fu Ni!

XenXuan

I thot mine already took so long to deliver. Yours even longer!:) Pei Fu Ni!
Ya,me n hubby were like waiting for the whole day since morning induction,he went home in the evening as we guessing will be at least next day then out..less than 2hrs he got home,I called him n summoned him back as I proceed to the labor ward at 1cm dilation haha.. We were so anxious for the 1st few hours but after 12hrs of thigh injection pain reliever,I'm only at 3cm dilation haha.. Went for epidural after tat as the midwife suggested n I can't take tat pain the moment my pain reliever was gone!! My hubby was so anxious that he kept called the wrong person n typed all the messy SMS to our friends n family when we know I'm 10cm dilated n can prepare to push the baby out once gynae is here n my epi is turned off.. Hubby looked so relaxed thru my pregnancy n labor,but when baby about out,he panicked n hands tremble like a child,so cute..