Is 2 hours too little for a 4 yrs old kid to study ?

glamorousmama

My son is going to Nursery next year, and his lesson is only 2 hours a day. Do you think is too little for him to learn anything ? :wong10:

mrsmorgan

My son is going to Nursery next year, and his lesson is only 2 hours a day. Do you think is too little for him to learn anything ? :wong10:
he's only 4 yrs old! hw can 2 hrs be too little?? usually kids ard that age learn better through play.. i worked in an enrichment ctr before.. just dont stress him with too many books.. =)

glamorousmama

Really? Because till now he still don't really know what is 123 or abc.. Thats why i'm afraid he will be slow in learning..

yumiao

they cannot focus for such a long time. every activity must last not longer than 30 min. if the lesson is 2 hrs, u better make sure it is full of activities. even though, they will still feel tired.

stonston

I personally find those 1.5 hours for Nursery 1 & 2 hour for Nursery 2 too short.

I've tried sending my boy for those 1.5 hour classes, he was just about to 'warm up' and enjoy the lesson, then it end already!

Tried sending him to those 3 hour class, the teachers say he can cope very well and he learns alot more. The pace of teaching also slightly slowly to allow the kids to enjoy the activity. I find 1.5hour too rush, they can't do much activities. Learning through play needs TIME for activities, time to wash up & rest between activities!

Different children are able to adapt differently. My nephews can also take 3 hour classes but my ex-neighbour's girls can't. It really depends on what your child can cope with.

But honestly, if my son is 4yo & still don know ABC, I would really panic because when they enter Nursery (also depends on which school), most are expected to at least know the alphabets already. My boy is now 2.5yo & he can recognise all the alphabets in small case and capital. Now we are working with him on being able to tell us the sounds the different alphabets make & he enjoys it alot!

littlehelper

I guess every child has different abilities and will learn at different pace.Stonston's son has a longer attention span can sit through 3 hours others not even 30 mins unless it activity-filled.

nsync_su

I personally find those 1.5 hours for Nursery 1 & 2 hour for Nursery 2 too short.

I've tried sending my boy for those 1.5 hour classes, he was just about to 'warm up' and enjoy the lesson, then it end already!

Tried sending him to those 3 hour class, the teachers say he can cope very well and he learns alot more. The pace of teaching also slightly slowly to allow the kids to enjoy the activity. I find 1.5hour too rush, they can't do much activities. Learning through play needs TIME for activities, time to wash up & rest between activities!

Different children are able to adapt differently. My nephews can also take 3 hour classes but my ex-neighbour's girls can't. It really depends on what your child can cope with.

But honestly, if my son is 4yo & still dont know ABC, I would really panic because when they enter Nursery (also depends on which school), most are expected to at least know the alphabets already. My boy is now 2.5yo & he can recognise all the alphabets in small case and capital. Now we are working with him on being able to tell us the sounds the different alphabets make & he enjoys it alot!
R u for real????? I pity those kids who have to attend sooooo many tuitions or classes. Don't their parents ever see their tired faces? I seriously think we should follow their pace.. for the toddlers. Or else, they wont even enjoying wat being taught coz of the ways being taught to them.

EnFlor

Simply said, it is the quality of teaching that matters most. Even if it is just an hour of lesson for the 4yo kid but if the lesson gives a good impact for the kid to learn something, that is good.

The parent or educator needs to have a set of reasonable objective when they want to educate the young child. Eg: What do you want the kid to achieve...say in a week or two ? Maybe, able to point out letters ABCDE for a start. Then build up from there.

yumiao

I guess what stonston means is something like play group. It is not some specific knowledge to learn. And they do have many activities. But for the normal classroom kind of tuition class, I don't suggest too long for little kids.

stonston

are you for real????? I pity those kids who have to attend sooooo many tuitions or classes. dont't their parents ever see their tired faces? I seriously think we should follow their pace.. for the toddlers. Or else, they wont even enjoying what being taught coz of the ways being taught to them.
We started off with 1 class and see his response/reaction. He looks forward to the class and when it's time to get ready for the class, he will automatically change his clothes, choose his shoes & get his water bottle.

There are some classes he did not like (think he did not 'click' with the teacher or the class was too boring) and we withdrew him.

The method of teaching is important, that is why I do not like 'rushed' lessons that are 1.5hours. I usually sit in for the first few lessons & I find the teachers 'rushing' through the lesson to finish it on time. The children are not given adequate time to finish tasks on their own (teachers keep helping them). My son will reject their help by saying "No" to them when they help him, others will just sit there quietly and allow the teacher to finish their colouring or drawing. Will try really learn to finish their assigned task in the long run? Or will they grow up with the mentality that others will always finish their unfinished task for them?

Thing is, I am following my son's pace. We did not put in much effort in teaching ABC, just make use of everyday signboards & a simple ABC chart pasted on the wall. And he managed to learn it so fast! & he gets very bored at home though he has loads of toys/books! It was his CC teachers who told us during Meet-the-Parents that we should consider enrolling him for enrichment as they find that he can learn very fast. & they even put him with the older kids during lessons as the 'baby class' is too simple for him, so he always shouts the answers without leaving a chance for others to participate. Our original plan was only to send him to enrichment when he turns 4yo & we change him to a kindy instead of full-day CC, but his teachers keep encouraging us to send him for enrichments. So we changed plans. My cousins who are musicians also noticed he loves music (esp drums) & ask us to send him to them for lessons. Even my parents are telling me to send him for music lesson, they even offered to pay for the lessons!

We plan my son's classes such that he'll only go to 1 enrichment a day. And you don't see his tired face at all. He'll still be full of energy after the lesson, talking non-stop about the class, running around the whole house, and he'll even ask you to do the activity again with him (sometimes they do painting & he'll want to do it again at home).

Anyway, there are kids who can cope very well with many classes a day. I was one of those kids whose parents will send them to endless classes. I never felt tired & requested for even more classes! I had art classes, music classes (piano & guzheng), tuition (from P2 - P4), swimming, gymnastics and I still had to spend every Sat at my granny's place to learn cooking! & I had CCA (badminton & track) to attend too :)

I requested for ballet, drama classes, guitar classes, vocal training but my mum thought I was MAD.

& I did not neglect my studies with all these classes :) I went to a good secondary school in Express stream, with PSLE score of 23+ (not extremely good but very good for me as my chinese has been failing all along & it pulled down my marks).

At the end of the day, parents must be able to judge how far their children can be pushed. My parents are very different towards my sister as she cannot take stress. So she only has violin lessons since young and tuition when she needs help. And their expectations of her academic results is very low since she can't take stress. Every parent must learn to 'let go' if your child is not as good as others or not as good as their siblings.

CanCanMum

baber goes to school from 9am to 12noon

their schedule is like this:

9-9.30am - sing songs.....
9.30-10am - English lesson
10 - 10.30am - Mother tongue lesson/MUsic lesson
10.30-11am - snack time
11am-11.30am - watch tv - cartoons or educational ones
11.30am-12n - play toys / learn thru play

So far Baber can write ABCDEFGH and small letter abcdefgh

Numbers he can write until 15

I find tat when he was younger (2.5yo) when he attended playgroups he did not learn much but now that he is older he is able to concentrate better.

I have seen a great improvement in his english language and social skills. Guess my main concern is letting him interact with other kids more becoz he is my only son hehehhee~~

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Different parents have different expectations for their kids.
Different kids have different learning abilities.
End of the day, we all want the best for our kids.
Aim 2 high or aim 2 low... or dun aim at all...
Only time will tell.

:)

Ting

We started off with 1 class and see his response/reaction. He looks forward to the class and when it's time to get ready for the class, he will automatically change his clothes, choose his shoes & get his water bottle.

There are some classes he did not like (think he did not 'click' with the teacher or the class was too boring) and we withdrew him.

The method of teaching is important, that is why I do not like 'rushed' lessons that are 1.5hours. I usually sit in for the first few lessons & I find the teachers 'rushing' through the lesson to finish it on time. The children are not given adequate time to finish tasks on their own (teachers keep helping them). My son will reject their help by saying "No" to them when they help him, others will just sit there quietly and allow the teacher to finish their colouring or drawing. Will try really learn to finish their assigned task in the long run? Or will they grow up with the mentality that others will always finish their unfinished task for them?

Thing is, I am following my son's pace. We did not put in much effort in teaching ABC, just make use of everyday signboards & a simple ABC chart pasted on the wall. And he managed to learn it so fast! & he gets very bored at home though he has loads of toys/books! It was his CC teachers who told us during Meet-the-Parents that we should consider enrolling him for enrichment as they find that he can learn very fast. & they even put him with the older kids during lessons as the 'baby class' is too simple for him, so he always shouts the answers without leaving a chance for others to participate. Our original plan was only to send him to enrichment when he turns 4yo & we change him to a kindy instead of full-day CC, but his teachers keep encouraging us to send him for enrichments. So we changed plans. My cousins who are musicians also noticed he loves music (esp drums) & ask us to send him to them for lessons. Even my parents are telling me to send him for music lesson, they even offered to pay for the lessons!

We plan my son's classes such that he'll only go to 1 enrichment a day. And you dont't see his tired face at all. He'll still be full of energy after the lesson, talking non-stop about the class, running around the whole house, and he'll even ask you to do the activity again with him (sometimes they do painting & he'll want to do it again at home).

Anyway, there are kids who can cope very well with many classes a day. I was one of those kids whose parents will send them to endless classes. I never felt tired & requested for even more classes! I had art classes, music classes (piano & guzheng), tuition (from P2 - P4), swimming, gymnastics and I still had to spend every Sat at my granny's place to learn cooking! & I had CCA (badminton & track) to attend too :)

I requested for ballet, drama classes, guitar classes, vocal training but my mum thought I was MAD.

& I did not neglect my studies with all these classes :) I went to a good secondary school in Express stream, with PSLE score of 23+ (not extremely good but very good for me as my chinese has been failing all along & it pulled down my marks).

At the end of the day, parents must be able to judge how far their children can be pushed. My parents are very different towards my sister as she cannot take stress. So she only has violin lessons since young and tuition when she needs help. And their expectations of her academic results is very low since she can't take stress. Every parent must learn to 'let go' if your child is not as good as others or not as good as their siblings.

all i can say is WOW~
actually i also wanna send pin to enrichment classes, like arts n music.
cos she likes to scribble, draw n colour. n she likes to sing n dance.
but my situation now is very tight n budget.
looking for a weekend part time job now, so hopefully can hv abit more each mth for pin.
btw stonston, u hv any recommendations?
then i can KIV n implement when more money starts coming in. hehe. :)

stonston

Ting, what type of weekend PT you looking for? You mind doing sales? If you dun mind I can hook up interview for you, but I'm not very sure if they need a long term weekend part timer right now (they usually do need, but I need to double check).

I'm also quite budget de. Recently I found a cheap chinese enrichment for my boy :) Much cheaper than I planned (only $60/mth compared to the first one I found, $120/mth).

stonston

Ting, Pin likes to draw & paint? I think Pin is ard my boy's age right? Actually if you want, Sat mornings you can bring her over to my house & let them draw/paint together. Though not a formal proper lesson, but at least they get to do some painting/drawing :)

I usually let my boy colour/paint those colouring book with ABC so he can learn at the same time.

Ting

what kinda sales?
im more into f&b or retail sales actually.
cos got more experience in those when i did part time during my schling days.
pin is abt 2.5 yrs old now.
i tried buying books for pin a few times, but she always ending up tearing them up..
zzzz~

the chi enrichment classes, what do they teach??

stonston

what kinda sales?
im more into f&b or retail sales actually.
cos got more experience in those when i did part time during my schling days.
pin is about 2.5 yrs old now.
i tried buying books for pin a few times, but she always ending up tearing them up..
zzzz~

the chi enrichment classes, what do they teach??
Retail sales (fashion). I think we are in need of weekend promoters.

Pin is around same age as my boy :)

What type of books you buy? Mine he knows that books/paper he cannot tear. He will get scolded & punished.

Chinese enrichment they sing songs, teach according to themes (now is family), show them words & read to them (word recognition).

Ting

actually i just buy those books with pictures n wordings to teach her, but she always end up scribbling n drawing then tearing!
so my parents stopped me from buying.
i once bought her a colouring book n she is also like tt. -.-"

abt the job, location wise?

stonston

actually i just buy those books with pictures and wordings to teach her, but she always end up scribbling and drawing then tearing!
so my parents stopped me from buying.
i once bought her a colouring book and she is also like that. -.-"

about the job, location wise?
You need to discipline her when she tears books. My boy can handle delicate paper very well without destroying it. Last time he tear a page from a book, kena from my hb. After that he know cannot tear book/paper.

Job: I'm not sure which location they need ppl now. But most likely is Orchard area. I need to ask the HR manager first. He recently keep travelling for holiday, hard to catch him.