Is it really worth your time to share in forums?

littlehelper

Yep i do agree with stonston.
Though i have learnt alot from this forum and it is easy to access topics and stuff,
i did not find it as homely and warm here as the other forums...
But i guess we just have to be more understand and forgiving to one another.
All of us come from different backgrounds.Some times the way we post smth may be insulting to someone else if they misinterpret it and causes some unhappiness.
But once we clear the air i guess it will be ok.

Hopefully, we will be able to help one another.
I agree with diymummy who says that if we expect to get smth in return, we will be greatly disappointed.
I believe that it is always happier to give than to receive.

Anw, thanks to everyone who have contributed to the forum! Have learn alot from all posts i have been to :D

meiteoh

I'm quite new to this forum, having came across it while searching for Singaporean mummy forums to join. Being a foreigner in this country with a newborn, I was in need of a local feel - I didn't want to join those expat communities because I don't want to see myself as an expat. I want to do what the locals do and hang out with them if possible.

This forum has been wonderful - the candid nature coupled with the sagely advice given by some of the mummies here has been godsent. I must be honest - I don't have many mummy friends here in Singapore and being a SAHM, it's hard to make friends. So being part of an online forum is the next best thing.

Having said that, it's okay to want to take a break from the Internet. It's okay to want to just spend time in the real world with real people instead of putting up with possible e-dramas and such. You owe no one an explanation for wanting to live your life. This is just an online realm and a tool to help you create, maintain or build relationships. It's not the world that you have to live in.

Sometimes we help people without expecting anything but a simple thank you - at time we get it, at times we won't and it's because we cannot control what other people do, think or feel. Yes, it can be disappointing but think of it as good karma on your part. You did your best and now, the ball is in the other person's court. Let it be on their head and not yours.

*hugs*

autumn82

hahha..i am gonna take you up on your offer soon!!!where do you live?lets try and gather mums to meet..shld be fun and noisy !!
I'm at Semb. :p We just had a mini gathering last Sun coz our fellow mummy elaine82 just celebrated her son Xavier's 1st bdae!! :p Whole room full of babies.. :p Wahahahah. Tell me abt noisy.. :tlaugh:

Domique

I agree... stonston hang on there... we need u!

ston ston..

the above posters are the above who appreciates you and so do I...

Hugs....you are :red:as you are like our guardian angel, giving us virtual help on bf , nurturing children & even took the inititative to pull the bulk purchase which im really appreciative of...

keep it up sista...

stonston

Actually, I'm not expecting any thanks or anything in return when I offer & extend my help. I feel very happy when mummies post/PM that they've succeeded or they are coping well. But I think some people abuse that.

I gave my personal number to some forumners for ease of contact in case they got something urgent to ask. But I always end up getting phone calls & SMSes in the middle of the night at 2-3am and it's about things which do not require an immediate reply (ask me do diapers leak often, why tummy will have silvery lines, etc). I'm ok with such questions but please do it at an appropriate timing. I've not been able to get proper sleep due to all these SMSes/calls. & I try my best not to use my mobile phone during tuition cos it's not nice to do so.

& most of you know, I have a day job plus I'm giving tuition. Night time is really precious sleeping time for me to rest. I hardly get a break the entire week! When I don't have tuition, I either busy with school or busy teaching & playing with my boy. Replying SMSes in between gives me a break & I enjoy helping people. But some people not only SMS/call at odd hours, they bomb my phone with SMSes.

There were a few times when I checked my phone after lesson & I have 20+ missed calls & 40+ SMSes! Just after teaching 1 period (1hr). Imagine my shock & panic! I though something serious happened & that mummy really needed help badly so I called back (& was 5 minutes late for my next class, thankfully my colleague went to settle the class down for me first), only to find out that she wanted to know why her baby's belly button is popping out.

I'm not sure if any of you can understand my frustration. 1 unreplied SMS (sometimes due to too busy & forget to reply after reading), end up I get bombed with even more SMSes/missed calls. Especially during the period where I was very busy & did not have time to clear my PM inbox (yes, it's always full no matter how I try to delete & delete).

Having taken a break from the forum the past few days has been quite good. At least I do not get multiple missed calls & SMSes at one go. I'll still read & post, but maybe not so often & not so detailed anymore. Let others have a chance to share what I've shared with them previously plus add in their own experiences too. If you have received, pay it forward just like how I've paid it forward cos I received so many valuable advices from other mummies :)

Daddy D

Alpha Male
hahha..i am gonna take you up on your offer soon!!!where do you live?lets try and gather mums to meet..shld be fun and noisy !!
I'm at Semb. :p We just had a mini gathering last Sun coz our fellow mummy elaine82 just celebrated her son Xavier's 1st bdae!! :p Whole room full of babies.. :p Wahahahah. Tell me about noisy.. :tlaugh:
I can imagine the NOISE... tat's y I always avoid the gatherings! haha! :)

Daddy D

Alpha Male
I'm not sure if any of you can understand my frustration....:)
I think u feel like a 24x7 Call Centre... dun fret... your intentions r good... just need to manage the expectations of others... u can't possibly be everyone's counseller/doctor/teacher/nanny/maid/mother.... just need to let go a bit...
If the matter is really urgent/ life or death issue... I'm sure they will turn to their next-of-kin, instead of waiting for your sms reply or call back :)

Domique

I understand where u are coming from and the frustration you had.
:)

Actually, I'm not expecting any thanks or anything in return when I offer & extend my help. I feel very happy when mummies post/PM that they've succeeded or they are coping well. But I think some people abuse that.

I gave my personal number to some forumners for ease of contact in case they got something urgent to ask. But I always end up getting phone calls & SMSes in the middle of the night at 2-3am and it's about things which do not require an immediate reply (ask me do diapers leak often, why tummy will have silvery lines, etc). I'm ok with such questions but please do it at an appropriate timing. I've not been able to get proper sleep due to all these SMSes/calls. & I try my best not to use my mobile phone during tuition cos it's not nice to do so.

& most of you know, I have a day job plus I'm giving tuition. Night time is really precious sleeping time for me to rest. I hardly get a break the entire week! When I dont't have tuition, I either busy with school or busy teaching & playing with my boy. Replying SMSes in between gives me a break & I enjoy helping people. But some people not only SMS/call at odd hours, they bomb my phone with SMSes.

There were a few times when I checked my phone after lesson & I have 20+ missed calls & 40+ SMSes! Just after teaching 1 period (1hr). Imagine my shock & panic! I though something serious happened & that mummy really needed help badly so I called back (& was 5 minutes late for my next class, thankfully my colleague went to settle the class down for me first), only to find out that she wanted to know why her baby's belly button is popping out.

I'm not sure if any of you can understand my frustration. 1 unreplied SMS (sometimes due to too busy & forget to reply after reading), end up I get bombed with even more SMSes/missed calls. Especially during the period where I was very busy & did not have time to clear my PM inbox (yes, it's always full no matter how I try to delete & delete).

Having taken a break from the forum the past few days has been quite good. At least I do not get multiple missed calls & SMSes at one go. I'll still read & post, but maybe not so often & not so detailed anymore. Let others have a chance to share what I've shared with them previously plus add in their own experiences too. [you]If you have received, pay it forward[/you] just like how I've paid it forward cos I received so many valuable advices from other mummies :)

iBaby_Mum

Sharing in forum is definitely worth your time. People will appreciate you.
I learn a lot from forums when I first started off as a Mummy, renovate my place etc... Now with experience, I am starting to post in forums.

I pity your experiences with Mummies who treat you like a walking guru. But bcos you are a Guru, that is why they choose to call you. So you should feel GLAD.

However, Mummies out there, Please use your brains and DON'T keep calling stonston like 40 times! and at wee hours. Call your MUM or Mother-In-Law or KK helpline!

Ting

stonston, i do understand, cos last time also happened to me. gv my number to a young mummy in another forum, n she keep calling n texting me asking me this n that.. some which i think is quite common sense.... -.-"
so i dont dare to give anymore... only give msn.. cos if annoyed, can block. =P

stonston

stonston, i do understand, cos last time also happened to me. gv my number to a young mummy in another forum, and she keep calling and texting me asking me this and that.. some which i think is quite common sense.... -.-"
so i dont dare to give anymore... only give msn.. cos if annoyed, can block. =P
I dun even dare to log into my MSN now cos once I log in, will kena bombed with questions. Will only log in when I clear my work & when I have more time to answer the questions (which is school holidays).

Sometimes feel like changing HP no but I had this no for very long, plus I paid extra for this no cos I selected the no!

jasobias

I dont even dare to log into my MSN now cos once I log in, will kena bombed with questions. Will only log in when I clear my work & when I have more time to answer the questions (which is school holidays).

Sometimes feel like changing HP no but I had this no for very long, plus I paid extra for this no cos I selected the no!
Wow must be real tough.,..lets hope they will get the hint after u stop answering their emails n smses.

Domique

Ston ston, tell the, straight lor. You dun owe them ley.... Sometimes we cannot give face to everyone. made our own life very miserable... we have to be good to ourselves too right?

I dont even dare to log into my MSN now cos once I log in, will kena bombed with questions. Will only log in when I clear my work & when I have more time to answer the questions (which is school holidays).

v_ni

stonston,

oh dear, it does sound like you've been taken advantage of your kind heartedness......it's funny how some people abuse it!

i hope it works out for you and not have to change your hp number, we all know it will be such a pain the in ass to do that!! perhaps for the short term, you could switch off your hp after 10pm, at least you can get proper rest and more importantly, dont't feel like you are obliged to reply the smses/calls, only do that if you feel like it.......

stonston

I can't off that phone cos it's my main line and my workplace need to contact me in emergencies. & sometimes I do have real work emergencies at night.