Is PCF education sufficient for P1?

mumsietay

Hi Mummies....my gal is currently in PCF Nursery and I am wondering if the education she will be receiving there up to K2 would be sufficient. I am kinda worried and contemplating whether to sign her up for additional enrichment classes? Are there any mummies with kids formerly from PCF centres and may I know how are they coping in Primary school now??? Thanks!!!

EnFlor

sufficient...that is subjective. U may want to design your own lessons with them at home using external resources available online or from educational stores. Or if u have the money to spend on, enrol them for extra classes at pte schools.

But most importantly is, impart to them basic social skills. Really, u can never find a comprehensive lesson on basic social skills from books.

pink_daisy

my son is currently in pcf k2. besides attending kindergarten, he is oso attending a p1 prep course at mind stretcher once a wk... i cant really say whether pcf education sufficient or not coz i tink it depends on the child oso. if he's a fast learner or a child who likes to learn then he can 'absorb' everything he learned... like for my son, he's not interested in studies so haiz.. like waste of money to send him to extra courses.. his school teacher's feedback on his work oso so-so, average-average.

stonston

Different PCF centres are run by different Principals. Some have very high standards (premium centres), some have lower standards. You need to check out a few PCFs to make comparison.

For example, there's a mummy Tamarind from another forum, her elder girl goes to a premium PCF & the worksheets & work done are of very high standards. For her boy, she sends him to a 'normal' PCF and the standard is not as high. There's a great price difference in the 2 centres also. $200++ for her girl & $100+ for her boy if I recall correctly.

The PCF centres around my mum's place got low standards but the one at my place has high standard. But the one at my place does not have pre-nursery, so I'll enrol my boy there when he turns 4.

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Different PCF centres are run by different Principals. Some have very high standards (premium centres), some have lower standards. You need to check out a few PCFs to make comparison.

For example, there's a mummy Tamarind from another forum, her elder girl goes to a premium PCF & the worksheets & work done are of very high standards. For her boy, she sends him to a 'normal' PCF and the standard is not as high. There's a great price difference in the 2 centres also. $200++ for her girl & $100+ for her boy if I recall correctly.

The PCF centres around my mum's place got low standards but the one at my place has high standard. But the one at my place does not have pre-nursery, so I'll enrol my boy there when he turns 4.
Any idea which r the premium n normal PCF?
My PCF @ TPY also charge abt $200... but dd still gets bored at times cos' teacher says dd knows most of the things that r taught... tat's 1 downside when the kid goes to enrichment classes...
But I'm sceptical abt enroling into those premium private kindergartens... though my wifey is very keen.... duh...

mumsietay

My gal's PCF charge less than $100 so i guess it should be one of the non-premium ones.. :p But I'm surprised that the charges can differ so much.

Actually I thought all PCF centres should be run on somewhat same kinda structured curriculum since it falls under PAP. I sense that my gal is bored too so I'm also contemplating about enrolling for private kindergartens, but really wonder if they really can learn more stuff there????

Any idea which are the premium n normal PCF?
My PCF @ TPY also charge about $200... but dear daughter still gets bored at times cos' teacher says dear daughter knows most of the things that are taught... that's 1 downside when the kid goes to enrichment classes...
But I'm sceptical about enroling into those premium private kindergartens... though my wifey is very keen.... duh...

stonston

Depending on which private kindy you enrol them, some of them have very challenging syllabuses. But most of them will come with a hefty price tag (the cheapest one I found & like the syllabus alot costs $400+ per mth).

A good teacher will stretch your child during lessons. Even if the content covered is 'boring' for your child, a good teacher will be able to give extra work to keep your child engaged.

My son's previous CCC teacher was very good. She knew he was bored with PG1 class so she arranged for him to go over to N2 class for lessons to keep him engaged. She also has different worksheets for him during activity time. But that teacher left the teaching service & I've decided to change my boy to a private kindy instead of a CCC. Not the best but it's one of the more convenient options for us.

We'll consider changing him to the premium PCF at the bottom of my block when he turns 4. Hb suggested to let him go for PCF morning session & private kindy afternoon session at the same time since my boy has endless energy & he loves going to school. Anyway in CCC it's the same, whole day in school, going to 2 pre-schools won't be much different.

Daddy D

Alpha Male
We'll consider changing him to the premium PCF at the bottom of my block when he turns 4. husband suggested to let him go for PCF morning session & private kindy afternoon session at the same time since my boy has endless energy & he loves going to school. Anyway in CCC it's the same, whole day in school, going to 2 pre-schools won't be much different.
2 pre sch? Tat's a new idea... better dun let my wifey knows :p

littlehelper

Ermm. Correct me if i m wrong.
I thought all the worksheets given out are the same?It is standardized i think.
One of the teachers who worked there told me that they have standardized worksheets.Not sure if some give extra but i think the basic ones are standard...

stonston

Ermm. Correct me if i m wrong.
I thought all the worksheets given out are the same?It is standardized i think.
One of the teachers who worked there told me that they have standardized worksheets.Not sure if some give extra but i think the basic ones are standard...
Worksheets are standard, but the pace of teaching & the extras done during class is different. If the pace is faster & teachers add on with their extra worksheets, then what the students learn will be different. Every centre is managed by a different principal (some are cluster centres under 1 principal).

They use Ednoland programs but some centres adopt Jolly Phonics & other Chinese & Maths programs. So they are 'premium' in the sense that you may not need to send your kiddo for extra enrichments as the PCF will cover alot more things.

autumn82

Worksheets are standard, but the pace of teaching & the extras done during class is different. If the pace is faster & teachers add on with their extra worksheets, then what the students learn will be different. Every centre is managed by a different principal (some are cluster centres under 1 principal).

They use Ednoland programs but some centres adopt Jolly Phonics & other Chinese & Maths programs. So they are 'premium' in the sense that you may not need to send your kiddo for extra enrichments as the PCF will cover alot more things.
Hi stonston,

You mean not all PCFs conduct phonics lessons?? I thought it was a standard lesson. How do I know whether the centre my gal's attending is premium besides the price factor?

I've 2 PCFs nearby my place, standard & the montessori approach. The premium PCFs that you're referring are not those that take montessori approach right? *blurs* :embarrassed:

stonston

Different PCFs take different approach.

You should go to the centre, request to see their programs & worksheets/work done by students. From there you will be able to differentiate :)

The centre at my void deck uses Jolly Phonics & some fancy maths program which I can't remember the name offhand. Compared to the centre at my mum's place, this is much better.

I think phonics is included in all their syllabuses but it's how intensive & detailed it is. If they start at N1/N2 for Jolly Phonics, they would finish the whole program by K2. Jolly phonics includes grammar, not only phonics.

BTW, to some, montesorri approach may be considered 'premium'. But I personally will not send my son to a montesorri school.

CanCanMum

so far my sons PCF worksheets are pretty standard lehhh.....

and how do i know if they taught phonics????? Or purely by asking the teacher???? Or the way my son pronounces better or clearer means he has learnt tat?????

his fees per month is $112 :p

autumn82

so far my sons PCF worksheets are pretty standard lehhh.....

and how do i know if they taught phonics????? Or purely by asking the teacher???? Or the way my son pronounces better or clearer means he has learnt that?????

his fees per month is $112 :p
I got to know only when I saw Belle's books last year. :p Wahahahah. Then confirmation only during the parents' meeting session... :tlaugh:

I will go ask the school this coming Mon... :p

baObei, can ask Baber if he knows how to pronounce the sound of 'A' - 'Z'... :) If he knows, means they r learning...

Daddy D

Alpha Male
Instead of saying 'a' when he sees A, he should be able to tell you the sound is 'aeh'. As in 'CAT'.
Then confirm my dd's PCF teaches them phonics... but it's like 1 phonic letter per week... cos' she always tells me the same letter everytime I ask her...
then again... she might have learnt it from the Leap Frog CDs...
then again... I think the CDs waste $$... watched a few times... put 1 corner liaoo... duhhh....

CanCanMum

I got to know only when I saw Belle's books last year. :p Wahahahah. Then confirmation only during the parents' meeting session... :tlaugh:

I will go ask the school this coming Mon... :p

baObei, can ask Baber if he knows how to pronounce the sound of 'A' - 'Z'... :) If he knows, means they are learning...
baObei~~~ehhhhh he can pronounce the letters....eh babers books are all those pictures den with a line of sentence less den 6 words :p ~~~

Instead of saying 'a' when he sees A, he should be able to tell you the sound is 'aeh'. As in 'CAT'.
he just says a when he sees A leiiii ......meaning he din learn????

stonston

Then confirm my dear daughter's PCF teaches them phonics... but it's like 1 phonic letter per week... cos' she always tells me the same letter everytime I ask her...
then again... she might have learnt it from the Leap Frog CDs...
then again... I think the CDs waste $$... watched a few times... put 1 corner liaoo... duhhh....
How old is your girl? Maybe you should show her the Code Caper or Word Factory or Storybook factory instead. Maybe the Letter factory is too easy for her.

1 letter a week is very SLOW. At this pace, they may not finish the whole phonics programme before they reach P1. My boy learnt all the alphabets in a week. After 2 weeks, he's very confident of the letters that you can test him at random.

Daddy D

Alpha Male
How old is your girl? Maybe you should show her the Code Caper or Word Factory or Storybook factory instead. Maybe the Letter factory is too easy for her.

1 letter a week is very SLOW. At this pace, they may not finish the whole phonics programme before they reach P1. My boy learnt all the alphabets in a week. After 2 weeks, he's very confident of the letters that you can test him at random.
My dd just turned 4...
Got the other Leapfrog CDs.... dd saw those once each... not interested liao... I feel like telling wifey... I TOLD U SO :)
Anyway not worried abt her progress... she seems to be doing fine... maybe tat's y she finds PCF lessons boring now...
Got shortlisted PV interview next month... omg... got 100+ names in the list... think they just gonna select 60... sheesh... volunteer our time still must let the pri sch pick n choose... TMD....

littlehelper

there is a new PCF preschool that is run by etonhouse.. would you say that it is premium? Anyone knows if it is childcare or kindergarten? Its name is "preschool" but in the papers it says smth about child care.Kinda confused.