Kitchen sink gave way (corroded)

CanCanMum

Hi Cancanmum.

May I check with abovemount will there be any problem water splash all over the places. What is the pro & con between the abovemount and undermount sinks.

Any problem that I encounter is the sink. The sink is a stainless steel and it can get water vapour of the bottom of the sink. We cook every meal. Which mean the sink outside get wet very easily. Anyone encounter this kind of problem. For example like putting a few ice in the cup and the outside of the cup has many drop of water.
The water vapour on bottom of the sink???? Does it help to put those silical gel moisture absorbers? Or would it be good to do louvre doors at sink area for air to circulate?

Besides the water flow outlet, is your sink compartment oso housing the washing machine drainage outlet????

actually above mount and undermount both will cause splashing of water all over

ok ok lets think from scratch:

The SINK

The size of the sink matters a lot. Length, width, and mostly = DEPTH

If u r heavy user, best is to get those BIG AND DEEP sinks, minimise splashing

The TAP

The tap is oso important. IF u noticed, those professional chefs uses a tap with a spray nozzle tube, extendable from the mixer. It can be used to watch areas underneath the pots/woks without having to cause splashing all over.

OSO make sure the tap outlet is facing the sink drainage hole, coz mismatched ones oso can cause splashing

The MOUNTING

Above and under mount is actually only for asthetical purposes, coz undermount looks nice, silicon joint is concealed. Whereas above mount sinks, can see silicon joint.

BOTH methods will have water splashing over the counter and u still need scoop or wipe with cloth everytime after washing.

THE COUNTERTOP

There are countertops with anti drip profiles to prevent water from flowing down to your wooden doors.

THE USAGE

My way of using my sink is that everytime after washing, i need to wipe the edges of my sink area all round to make sure its dry

My mum doesnt, she juz leave it as it is. I cannot stand water around the sink perimeter on the countertop lOlzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

Angelmum

can get water vapour of the bottom of the sink. We cook every meal. Which mean the sink outside get wet very easily.
Cancanmum, I think Gladys and I shared the same issue ie meant bottom of sink got water droplets ley .... not sides or on top :err:

CanCanMum

Cancanmum, I think Gladys and I shared the same issue ie meant bottom of sink got water droplets ley .... not sides or on top :err:
coz Gladys babe asking me pros and cons of above mount sink mahhh......hehehe

actually i dunn undestand why sink underneath wil have "vapour"

mite be the water seeps thru the gap btw counter and sink joint line, flows under the sink???!!!

it a slow process but as time goes by, the wood/sink under juz gets corroded and falls off

am i making sense i oso dunno lolzzz???? Actually all these are juz written based on "imagination" the actual pple who have seen it might understand beta~~~:001_302:

my own house i juz find the sink cabinet a bit "moist" inside coz all the wet wet things running inside, including my Washer outlet~~so many times the wood inside gets a bit moist and got those wet wet smellssssss, so i tot of ventilating the sink cabinet might oso be good too~~~

Last edited:

tinkerball

sorry harr.. cant resist joining in.. want to enquire.. im quite intersted in ceramic sinks however i want it to be easily maintained and durable. compared to stainless steel, which is better?

stonston

The water vapour is caused by temperature change. Very normal for metal sinks. If you dun want that to happen, get those stone type or plastic type.

Another alternative is to put a dehumidifier (thirsty hippo) or silica gel to absorb the moisture under the sink to prevent water condensation.

So far my sink does not have this problem because I put a bag of silica gel which is reusable by heating it under the sun or in the microwave.

Angelmum

my own house i just find the sink cabinet a bit "moist" inside coz all the wet wet things running inside, including my Washer outlet~~so many times the wood inside gets a bit moist and got those wet wet smellssssss, so i thought of ventilating the sink cabinet might also be good too~~~
:tlaugh:

The water vapour is caused by temperature change. Very normal for metal sinks. If you dont want that to happen, get those stone type or plastic type.

Another alternative is to put a dehumidifier (thirsty hippo) or silica gel to absorb the moisture under the sink to prevent water condensation.

So far my sink does not have this problem because I put a bag of silica gel which is reusable by heating it under the sun or in the microwave.

ICIC, tks!

CanCanMum

The water vapour is caused by temperature change. Very normal for metal sinks. If you dont want that to happen, get those stone type or plastic type.

stondarling i dddink your suggestion of the reusable silica gel is good, coz the sink area horrr, last time whenever i put the thirsty hippo inside, the 2nd day whole thing is wet liaOoo lOlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................

where can i get the reusable silica gel? NTUC got sell mahh?

stonston

stondarling i dddink your suggestion of the reusable silica gel is good, coz the sink area horrr, last time whenever i put the thirsty hippo inside, the 2nd day whole thing is wet liaOoo lOlzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................

where can i get the reusable silica gel? NTUC got sell mahh?
I bought from HomeFix DIY. Think it's $20 for 3 bags. I put 1 under sink, 1 under MBR toilet sink (cos got cupboard), then 1 in my wardrobe.

cottonfields

Hi Angelmum

Have sent you email. :)

Hi CanCanMum

My sink is also giving way. Was wondering if you do concrete support for sink? Actually, I'm thinking of replacing the bottom cabinets with a concrete 'carcass' as well. Thanks. :)

CanCanMum

hellos cotton fields

concrete support is done by the tiler

for those who worry concrete support might be ugly, actually concrete support can be concealed by the cabinets

see attached pics:

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi Angelmum

Have sent you a message. :)
Hi all, not sure if this topic is still alive, but to install concrete support for kitchen sink, must you remove the table countertop? I just had my renovation and regretted not doing it. My washing machine is just next to my kitchen sink supported with all the wood. I am thinking of getting another contractor to do up concrete support for my kitchen sink now. Is it still possible?