Maid taking care of ur BB

angelwendy

No.... !! is not safe at all.. can u imagine if ur maid do anything to ur baby.. & ur baby cannot speak??

stonston

My boy was taken care by maid. Can consider no supervision cos my dad is semi-retired but always go out with his friends for kopi.

We have CCTV installed. And once I find the maid not good, I change. I don't give chance at all. Change until we found my current maid, very good :)

Now, she even helps us to bring my boy to his enrichment classes which are few bus stops away. Her philosophy of bringing children is same as mine and her purpose of working her is to fulfill her 'kiasuness' of sending her son to private school and extra enrichment classes.

She also chats with other maids to find out other kid's routines and she will ask me if we should change some of my boy's routines. Just like companies that look out for 'best practices'. She is very keen to learn and matured in her thinking. We trust her alot and even gave her a mobile phone so we can contact her. She has nvr abused the phone priviledge.

I'm hoping to keep her here for at least a few more years :p

Stonston, lucky you to get a maid to look after your bb so well. Can I check with you for changing of maids, wouldnt you be incurring additional charges? Care to share what do you need to pay for replacement? Heard some agencies charged replacement fees. What about the loan that you had paid for your previous maid?

stonston

The thing is, when you wanna get a maid, you must be prepared to CHANGE IF NOT GOOD & PAY.
Would you rather lose some $$ or you rather tahan a maid who can't look after your baby well just to save the $$? To me, $$ can be earned but time with baby cannot be taken back. So I rather spend the money to change until I get a good maid than to let my baby suffer with the poor care given by the maid.

For my agency, they allow us to change maid. They allow us more times than other customers cos we are long time customers (have been getting maids from them for more than 10yrs). That time we thought get Filipino would be good cos looking after baby, pay alittle more per mth does not matter, but end up alot of problems (lying, stealing, did not follow instructions, talk back to me cos I'm young). So after 3 changes, we decided to get an Indon maid again.

For the loan, they just transfer the balance I've paid to the next maid. That's all. For the insurance (medical & bond) I think within 1mth it was still transferable, subsequently we had to pay.

When we decided to take Indon, ex-Msia, we had to top up $100 in agent fee (as agreed when we first got the Filipino maid). I think that's about all.

The only thing extra I paid is the AIR TIX to send those useless ones home. I did not want any other family to take over the maids who can't do work. So I rather pay for them to go back home. Plus a few of them stole (I have CCTV evidence), so we lodge a report with MOM to blacklist them.

My current maid is ex-Msia, worked for large Indian family in very big house. So our small HDB is super easy for her. She manages everything very well, even take initiative to bathe my dog (she's Muslim we did not expect her to do it, but she took our disposable gloves and bathed our dog). And she knows when to retreat into the room (she sleeps with my boy) to give us private space.

So far our experience with getting ex-Msia maids is very good. Choose those who have worked for large families with many children. Our previous maid was so good her ex-employer from Msia flew to SG to find her back when she had her 2nd child.

As a matter of fact. I guess its really up to individual.
I have maids taking care of all my 3 kids without supervision. Only once a while my mum or MIL will just pop by to spot check.
So far my current maid is fine, though sometimes she's a little slow or rather lazy in doing housework, I close 1 eye because after all its my kids that are the priority. So long as I find that she's ok, then why not?
But of course, it depends on luck as well.
I would suggest for you to get a experienced one and of coz one that is married with kids. Well again, sometimes Bio-data can be fake.
Or if you really do not feel safe, bring the maid and your kid to your MIL or mum's place while you are working. Then bring them back after your work.
Remember that maids are after all human, how we treat them, they will treat us back in that way too. Cheers :)

stonston

Gumi, at my previous house, we installed in all over the house other than MBR, study room (locked when we are not home) and toilet. Areas covered: Main gate, main door, living area, boy's room. It was CCTV with internet viewing.

Now, at our new house, only living room and main door. Cos now I'm home most of the time and we have a trust worthy maid.

Mich, you are right. How you treat them is how they treat you. We treat all our maids like family, they eat at the table with us at home or outside. We buy extra biscuits and bread for them to eat when they are hungry. And I always allow them to choose their food, shampoo and soap. I even buy moisturiser for them.

I treated those Filipino maids very well too, but they chose to betray our trust and goodwill by stealing and lying. So back to their kampung they go.

Stonston,

Yup. Same here. I allow her to choose what she wants but sometimes she's just to shy to ask. At times like she mention its one of her family members birthday month, I give her a extra $50 to send home. I think add on, it becomes a bonus to her.
During her birthday last December, I even bought a BN Samsung mobile for her that has 5 mega-pixel camera because she like to take pictures. So long we treat them like family, I believe she will do the same.
Like during her off day that she has per month, she always SMS me to check with me if my kids are ok. Haha, it seems like she is the mother of my kids. LOL
Yup, if they do betray us, then really too bad then.

Gumi

Gumi, at my previous house, we installed in all over the house other than MBR, study room (locked when we are not home) and toilet. Areas covered: Main gate, main door, living area, boy's room. It was CCTV with internet viewing.

Now, at our new house, only living room and main door. Cos now I'm home most of the time and we have a trust worthy maid.

Mich, you are right. How you treat them is how they treat you. We treat all our maids like family, they eat at the table with us at home or outside. We buy extra biscuits and bread for them to eat when they are hungry. And I always allow them to choose their food, shampoo and soap. I even buy moisturiser for them.

I treated those Filipino maids very well too, but they chose to betray our trust and goodwill by stealing and lying. So back to their kampung they go.
Hi stonston
Thanks for the information. Can u still remember how much did you spent on the CCTV installation on those areas like: main gate, main door, living area and your boy's bedroom? Thanks again.

stonston

Gumi, my hubs is selling them. Prices definitely better than outside cos he will only recommend the better Korean sets, not the cheapo China sets which breakdown frequently. Can come to my place to see the actual set up. He has helped quite a few mummies here install the system already.

ping26

I feel that it's best to leave baby with nanny or infant care if she is below 1 year old.

I leave my baby & maid with my mum or in-laws when I work.

When she was 5 mth old, she ran a low-grade fever 37.5 - 38.2 deg. My maid didn't even realise it. CCTV can't capture a fever. My mum didn't know either cos she was very busy with my nieces that day & baby didn't look unwell. She was just slightly more lethargic. Some maids may not have the sense to call u, seek advice or even take temperature accurately unless u make them do temp checks everyday. When I realised baby was unusu warm immed when I picked her up in evening. My current maid does like kids & can handle kids quite well.

My prev maid doesn't know much abt kids. She either doesn't know how to feed or burp babies properly. So baby often threw up after feeds. CCTV may not capture maid dozing while feeding baby. And she told me the previous baby she took care of was "sensitive and difficult". My current maid and I didn't have this problem. In fact, there was no more vomiting within 1 week after I changed maids. There were many problems with 1st maid but we didn't suspect the vomiting was due to feeding/burping methods.
CCTV will just record baby vomiting and maid not neglecting baby.

I'm very kia-si when it comes to health & safety issues which can result in brain injury for young infants. I'm okay with small bumps for toddlers but not infants.

Gumi

Gumi, my hubs is selling them. Prices definitely better than outside cos he will only recommend the better Korean sets, not the cheapo China sets which breakdown frequently. Can come to my place to see the actual set up. He has helped quite a few mummies here install the system already.
Hi stonston
Thanks for the invitation. I'm still considering on the hiring of maid issue, should I require this installation 1 day, I will let you know.
Thanks again :biggrin:

stonston

Ping, tt's why i say must be prepared to change maid if not good. From the way they handle the baby when you are around, can tell one.

When I change maids, me or hub will stay home for a while to observe. If we cannot take it, we change immediately. got once we got no more leave, my mum took leave to stay home with the maid and my boy. Another time, my bro (not working) also come over to my house to help out.

stonston

Btw, don't you make your maid take your baby's temperature everyday?
When my boy was less than 1yo, I make my maid take his temp 3 times a day. Morning, lunch and dinner.

TANZHENZHI

I dun trust maid to take care of bb alone, still must have someone to supervise. I see my sister's maid all like to lie and steal and also very rude so really can't be trusted. So i also lost count how many maid she changed. :)

xue

Ever since i have my ds, we have maid taking care.. When my ds turn 18mths, we change to our current maid.. She is abit slow n super forgetful but we dont have the time to train a new maid as im returning to work soon.. My current maid has been with us for a year n she has 3 kids.. so i believe she wont dare to abuse my kids(but of cause i still worry, but no choice as i have no one else to help me take care of my kids).. but i have a younger bro at home to watch over my maid.. only during the times when he go out with his friends/go to school and come back late after school, then my baby will be alone with my maid.. My first child i put in childcare cause i dont think my maid can handle 2 kids when im back to work..

The thing is, when you wanna get a maid, you must be prepared to CHANGE IF NOT GOOD & PAY.
Would you rather lose some $$ or you rather tahan a maid who can't look after your baby well just to save the $$? To me, $$ can be earned but time with baby cannot be taken back. So I rather spend the money to change until I get a good maid than to let my baby suffer with the poor care given by the maid.

For my agency, they allow us to change maid. They allow us more times than other customers cos we are long time customers (have been getting maids from them for more than 10yrs). That time we thought get Filipino would be good cos looking after baby, pay alittle more per month does not matter, but end up alot of problems (lying, stealing, did not follow instructions, talk back to me cos I'm young). So after 3 changes, we decided to get an Indon maid again.

For the loan, they just transfer the balance I've paid to the next maid. That's all. For the insurance (medical & bond) I think within 1mth it was still transferable, subsequently we had to pay.

When we decided to take Indon, ex-Msia, we had to top up $100 in agent fee (as agreed when we first got the Filipino maid). I think that's about all.

The only thing extra I paid is the AIR TIX to send those useless ones home. I did not want any other family to take over the maids who can't do work. So I rather pay for them to go back home. Plus a few of them stole (I have CCTV evidence), so we lodge a report with MOM to blacklist them.

My current maid is ex-Msia, worked for large Indian family in very big house. So our small HDB is super easy for her. She manages everything very well, even take initiative to bathe my dog (she's Muslim we did not expect her to do it, but she took our disposable gloves and bathed our dog). And she knows when to retreat into the room (she sleeps with my boy) to give us private space.

So far our experience with getting ex-Msia maids is very good. Choose those who have worked for large families with many children. Our previous maid was so good her ex-employer from Msia flew to SG to find her back when she had her 2nd child.
Hi stonston, thanks for sharing. After reading your post, consider the high expenses and stupid tax that I have to pay, I think I will stick to send my bb to infant care. (Provided that I can get a place). You r right. Money can always earned back but personally, I really cannot overcome my own mental hurdle that a stranger (the maid) WOULD look after your bb 100% as compared to our parents or in-laws. By the way, I always have this perception that there's a limit restriction by MOM of the number of maids that you can change, is it true?