Modern Cloth Diapering

mrs_eg

May I know where can I get cloth diaper-friendly creams ?
How do I know they are cloth diaper friendly?
Any ingredients I need to look out for?

Mummy to Baby V

May I know where can I get cloth diaper-friendly creams ?
How do I know they are cloth diaper friendly?
Any ingredients I need to look out for?
1 example is Mama Rose Diaper Balm, sold at Whoopeekiddies: http://www.milagrotrading.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_23&products_id=295

Usually the product description will mention it is cloth-diaper safe.
Preferably sold by store selling modern cloth diapers too, so you may verify with the store owner.
Also check online reviews by cloth diaper users.

As mentioned, we've been using Bepanthen with a liner, and diapers are working well.

mrs_eg

Hi hi!!!

Thanx to all Ive stripped the diapers and resolved the rash issue!! *fingers crossed*

And also started using another diaper cream called mama rose diaper balm... Anyone use it before? Find it kinda oily... And the container leaky... Difficult to bring is out...

Btw I hav two questions:
1. Anyone using Ru Yi oil as well?? Will it affect anything if Im cloth diapering??

2. May I know how often shld I strip the diapers?

:)

Mummy to Baby V

Hi hi!!!

Thanx to all Ive stripped the diapers and resolved the rash issue!! *fingers crossed*

And also started using another diaper cream called mama rose diaper balm... Anyone use it before? Find it kinda oily... And the container leaky... Difficult to bring is out...

Btw I hav two questions:
1. Anyone using Ru Yi oil as well?? Will it affect anything if Im cloth diapering??

2. May I know how often shld I strip the diapers?

:)
1. Nope, never used any medicated oil on son. Since it's rubbed on tummy, would most likely rub onto the front of cloth diaper. Personally, I won't risk it with the diapers.

2. When using diaper cream without a liner, I stripped the diapers once a month or when they become leaky. When using a liner, may strip less often. Strip the washable liners though.

mrs_eg

Hi I have a question,
One size pocket diapers are suppose to last until toddler age... right?
But now my 5mths old girl is using the largest "size"... bcos of her chubby legs...
Anyone with such problems?
How to solve this?
How to ensure the diapers can last longer....??

Mummy to Baby V

Hi I have a question,
One size pocket diapers are suppose to last until toddler age... right?
But now my 5mths old girl is using the largest "size"... bcos of her chubby legs...
Anyone with such problems?
How to solve this?
How to ensure the diapers can last longer....??
Yes and no:
1. depends on diaper's cutting: there're large (e.g. Happy Heinys) vs. small cutting (e.g. Rumparooz) one-size diapers

2. depends on the kid's size. Most babies can use it until toddlerhood; the bigger sizes babies may outgrow them eventually. Then they'd need L or XL cloth diapers.

3. depends on when child is potty-trained. The older she stays in diapers, the higher chances of outgrowing them.

Babies grow very fast in the first 6 months. My boy had huge thighs too. From 6 months onwards, his growth slowed down a lot, and he grew taller without putting on much weight. This is common since toddlers are very active.

Do you mean your girl's on the Largest rise setting now? Child's rise may not grow too much. More importantly is the waist settings allowing more room for growth.

As an e.g. my 2-Yr old boy has 20" waist, so large waist cutting is very important for him. He's still on highest rise. Thighs are also about same size from 9 months old.

Some options:
- waist tab extenders for certain one-size brands, e.g. Mummy's Touch.

- get diapers with large cuttings, e.g. Happy Heinys
Review: Happy Heinys One-Size Pocket Diaper (Snap) | Mummy's Reviews

- side-snapping diapers accommodate big thighs well, can adjust waist & thigh settings independently. E.g. Knickernappies one-size
Review: Knickernappies 2G Pocket Diapers | Mummy's Reviews

Which brand are you using now?

mrs_eg

As always, thanx again MieVee!!

My gal is using moo moo kow n babyland CD.
Yes she is on the largest rise settings, but there are still abt 2 snaps allowances left on each side of her waist...

So if like wat you said, the rise area doesnt really change much after 6mths then maybe I can still wait and observe...
If not wat other brands has larger cutting??? It is kinda difficult to find (physical) shops tat sells CD here in singapore.. Most are sold online....

Btw I was reading your recent article "9 reasons to try cloth diapering", mentioning you can alter the absorbancy with cloth diapering... how do u cloth diaper overnight? Wat kinds of inserts n shells shld I choose? Are suedecloth+PUL diaper covers suitable for overnight use? Do you mind sharing hw you do it???

Last edited:

xicloudix

Hi i have the same thoughts when my boy was 6mths old... i tot die liao... my boy so big thigh and he is only 6mths and he is on the largest setting!!! so i found bought some cloth and snaps wanna make "extenders" BUT... i can't find time to make it... end up did not... the pack of snaps still in my drawer, growing dust haha...

And till now.... he is 10.5mths... he still at the largest setting... his growth seems slow down... and as he grows taller, his thigh slight grow thin.... then my granny nag at me, say i waste $$ buy the cloth and snaps...

mama_aki

Hi mommas,

I'm a MTB and I'm reading up on cloth diapering! It sounds totally foreign to me..

Would you advise me to start cloth diapering for newborn and how should I start? What to buy, how many and what to do??

xicloudix

HI u can check mummy to baby very reviews very helpful... i started out reading her reviews and bought cloth diaper to try...

How many?
Depends on whether u wanna full time cloth diaper or part time... for a start perharps 5 sets to try???

currently my supplies are around 30 sets (coz i have to split into 2 places, my mums and my hse), in the morning, my granny help me look after son... so there are around 20 sets over at her place...

What brand?? depends on ur budget.... for me, i do have a few pieces "branded" which cost me a alot... but as my granny said, have diaper to wear can already no need brand or no brand, anyway they will only wear for around 2 years only....
But different ppl have different views...
Currently i sell cloth diapers too, u can email me at xicloudix@hotmail.com

Mummy to Baby V

Hi mommas,

I'm a MTB and I'm reading up on cloth diapering! It sounds totally foreign to me..

Would you advise me to start cloth diapering for newborn and how should I start? What to buy, how many and what to do??
Yes, newborns have very sensitive skin, so I believe cloth is most gentle.
They also pee and poo very frequently (especially breastfed), so cloth is much more economical, simply change as often as needed without pocket-ache.

Read How to Successfully Cloth-Diaper a Newborn Baby | Mummy's Reviews

As for other info, read
Revealed: Cloth Diapering Essentials - A Quick Guide | Mummy's Reviews
Cloth Diapering Tips | Mummy's Reviews

Hope you'd enjoy cloth diapering! :)

Mummy to Baby V

As always, thanx again MieVee!!

My gal is using moo moo kow n babyland CD.
Yes she is on the largest rise settings, but there are still about 2 snaps allowances left on each side of her waist...

So if like what you said, the rise area doesnt really change much after 6mths then maybe I can still wait and observe...
If not what other brands has larger cutting??? It is kinda difficult to find (physical) shops that sells CD here in singapore.. Most are sold online....

Btw I was reading your recent article "9 reasons to try cloth diapering", mentioning you can alter the absorbancy with cloth diapering... how do you cloth diaper overnight? what kinds of inserts n shells shld I choose? Are suedecloth+PUL diaper covers suitable for overnight use? Do you mind sharing hw you do it???
As mentioned earlier, I find Happy Heinys and side-snapping Knickernappies (large or one-size) to have large cuttings.
MMK is also considered large cutting, slightly smaller than Happy Heinys at the waist.

Side-snapping diapers are much more adjustable than front snaps / Velcro and trimmer, so I like them.

Cloth diapers hardly sold at retail stores. One way is to visit upcoming baby fair at Expo (18-20 Mar). I know Abby is exhibiting. She owns MMK, BabeHause.com and also carry other brands. You may email her to see if she can bring you other brand diapers with large cutting to view. See email address at MMK website.

Another is to contact Yee Ling of Whoopeekiddies.com. Can also arrange to see diapers.

Otherwise, can email diaper maker for diaper measurements. Weight isn't a good guide. So ask for waist, thigh and rise settings range.

Night-time cloth diapering:
- PUL cover with inserts / soakers can be used, if baby's skin is not very sensitive. My boy gets rashes after 5-6 hours, so we only use breathable fleece at night. Wool is breathable and good for night too, but not for babies with eczema, due to lanolin (potential allergen).

1. Review: Drybees Fleece Pocket Diapers | Mummy's Reviews

Drybees Fleece worked very well until my boy outgrew the Medium diapers at 9 months old.
He's super-heavywetter and also rolls around a lot while sleeping, so I changed to using fitted pocket cloth diapers with fleece shorts.
(Alternatively, can consider Drybees Fleece - Large)

Fitted diapers are absorbent even at waist tab area, not just centre, so is good for heavywetters, side-sleepers, and those rolling around during sleep. They aren't waterproof and need a cover.

Pocket fitted diapers mean fitted diaper with a pocket to tailor-make absorbency, using any existing or new inserts. Very versatile, so is my night-time Favourite for past 1+ years.

Our current combination:
- Happy Hempys with stay-dry fleece lining (pocket fitted diapers by Happy Heinys) or GAD Semi-Pocket Diapers with stay-dry fleece lining (need snappi)

- SuperDo insert (by Knickernappies) or microfibre + hemp inserts / boosters until desired absorbency

- Dancing Bears Bear Bottoms Night-Weight Fleece Soakers (breathable fleece shorts, I call it bulletproof), mentioned a bit at 3 Exciting Events to Share with You | Mummy's Reviews

Ha... Hope this helps. :)

Planning to use cloth diapers for my son once he reaches 2 or 3mos, any breastfeeding mums here who uses cloth diapers for their baby? I noticed my son normally passes motion right after feeding. Will this change over time? Any tips will be greatly appreciated :)

Edwinie

Planning to use cloth diapers for my son once he reaches 2 or 3mos, any breastfeeding mums here who uses cloth diapers for their baby? I noticed my son normally passes motion right after feeding. Will this change over time? Any tips will be greatly appreciated :)
my son is fully breastfed. when he reaches about 1.5 months - 2 months, i realise the frequency of his motion gets lesser and lesser. now it's once a day at almost the same timing. sometimes, he can don't pass motion for 3-4 days. so it's very convenient for cloth diapering, don't have to wash often. =)

not sure if it is the same for all babies.

Mummy to Baby V

My boy was fully-breastfed and has been cloth diapered since birth.
He pooped up to 11 times a day at 1-2 months old, then at 3-4 months, slowly reduced to 1 in 10 days.
(All milk digested, not constipation.) Poo is a LOT at one go, very well-contained by permanent elastics of modern cloth diapers.

Every baby has different output patterns.

In general, breastfed baby poop is water soluble and very easy to wash.
Also not smelly after being left in pail for 1 day.
Just spray off into toilet before washing. Wash every 1-2 days.
After washing and sunning, very clean. :)

More on washing:
How to Wash Cloth Diapers: Everything You Need to Know | Mummy's Reviews