Please share your birth story

Ain1707

Zaclin29, thanks. Yup has been sweating the whole day/night with the binder on. Cant wait to have another massage today. :)

Ain1707

Mommies, im just wondering how much did you lose weight once your baby is out?? I tried to weigh 2 days after pp, and i lose an awesome 6.5kg! :)
Hmm.. Cant wait to weigh myself once im done with the massage, to see whether the tradisional jamu really works ;)

bertrande

Hello mummies, this is my birth story. Delivered my little girl at Mt Alvernia on 24 August via assisted natural birth with no epidural, no pethidine and only some gas (mainly for the vaginal examinations and the last part when I was assisted in giving birth).

23 August:
Morning to noon: Had diarrhoea stomachache without any poo.

3pm: Had diarrhoea but stomachache still continued now and then.

5pm: Stomachache was a little worse and I thought I'd better go home from the office. Rang hubby to tell him I'll go pick him up so that he can drive halfway home as I was not feeling up to driving from Tuas to my home in the East at one go in peak traffic. Hubby asked "are you having contractions? You sound breathless." and I said no lah, just very bad stomachache! I guess if I had timed it then, the "stomachaches" would have been coming every 15 minutes or so but it didn't cross my mind at all.

830pm: Had a show and realised I was having contractions since mid afternoon. Timed contractions and found they were 40-45 seconds in duration and about 7 minutes apart. Kept calm as I knew we could be in for a long wait.

12mn: Contractions were about 50-60 seconds in duration every 5-6 minutes apart. Decided to labour at home until I couldn't take it as I could still feel baby moving between contractions and was confident I was ok.

Laboured throughout the night by sitting and walking around, rolling my hips. Could not lie down as that made me feel quite uncomfortable. Didn't sleep at all as a result of it, was quite tired.

5am: Contractions had upped a notch in intensity. Woke hubby up and decided to take my last shower and hair wash before birth and check into Mt Alvernia hospital before the early morning traffic.

6.15am: Arrived at Mt A. Went straight to delivery ward. Contractions were more intense now and I was staggering a little. Nurse at the reception asked "Pain ah?" and I felt like slapping her - didn't she SEE I was staggering and answering in monosyllables in a breathless way haha. Ushered into a delivery suite. Refused to take the enema for poo and also refused to let nurse do the VE for me, insisted that I wanted my gynae to do it. They said they had to check but came back to say ok, he will do it when he's in the hospital later. They did CTG for me for a bit and then I walked around and they left me alone with hubby to labour. We put on our labour CD (a collection of songs I had compiled) and I also munched on some bread (continued munching all the way until about 10am).

8.30am: Gynae came in, asked me to use laughing gas for my VE (probably because I was so badly behaved at my first ever VE the day before in his clinic and he didn't want a repeat of that hahaha). He found I was 5cm dilated and said he'd better break my water bag. He remarked that the contractions after this would be more intense and asked if I could take the pain. I said yes so he left me.

10.30am: 7cm dilated - I was laboring mainly off the bed because lying down made it excruciating for me to bear the contractions. My contractions were felt in my pelvis, almost like my pelvis was being crushed - the CTG monitor placed on top of my stomach never registered anything much because of this. And this intense pressure on my pelvis was relieved most when I leaned on my hubby or knelt on the floor against the gym ball during contractions.

12.30pm: 8cm dilated. Demoralised as I had only dilated 1cm after 2 very tedious hours of contractions, where I had started mooing very loudly like a cow during contractions. I felt an urge to push (but I knew I wasn't ready to do so) and I told the gynae. Surprisingly he told me to try pushing as that may help - he later said it was because my cervix was already very very soft and so he didn't think it was dangerous to ask me to try pushing.

Between 1-2pm: They asked me to push by putting me in stirrups lying on the bed - my WORST position! I screamed that I could not do it and refused to do it. In the end, they let me just put my legs on some slightly raised steps but not on the stirrups. But the position just made it impossible for me to push properly and I was already exhausted by the long labour so after a few screaming pushes, I told the nurses (or maybe I screamed at them) that I would like the doctor to assist my delivery. SO the doctor was called in and after monitoring me for a while, told me and hubby that he didn't think I could manage on my own and so will assist my delivery with a vacuum. That's when he told me again to use the laughing gas and I breathed so much this time round that I became high and went to lala land. Thought I had died as all the noise just faded in the background. Was brought back to reality by people telling me to "PUSH!!!!!". Then suddenly I heard "STOP PUSHING! DON'T PUSH ANY MORE!!!" and I was a bit puzzled. Maybe at that time what I was pushing was piles haha I don't know! Anyway, shortly after 2pm, my daughter was born, very clean, very healthy, with a very loud voice and being super alert. :)

So that's my birth story. Although I didn't plan for a natural delivery with assistance in my birth plan, I'm happy that I managed to pull through without pain relief drugs being put in me. I had read that these drugs could cross the placenta to the baby and I really didn't want them if possible, so I'm grateful we managed to avoid the drugs in the end. :)

Jojoai

Congrats mummy bertrande ! Very strong ! I hope to do it natural too ! You actually didn't sleep and had energy to push baby out still ?! Amazing. Did you receive any stitches ?

vonniesia

Wow, really envy those mummies who managed to deliver without any epi. And are there mummies who dont need any stitches?

QikeLi

Hi Mummies and mummy to be
So many touching stories and random reminding me of my birth stories as well. It was a nightmare!!! :117::117::117:

Went for my 1st check up as i knew i was pregnant on 7 Dec 2011. Doctor told me i was 2 weeks pregnant and my EDD will be on the 3rd of August 2012. Was refereed to KKH as i didn't want to let my gynae to take my blood and cant decide which hospital to choose to give birth. ( was very afraid of needles.)

1st time to KKH, the receptionist register for me and told me my actual EDD was on 4th of August 2012 and i supposed that its not much difference as it was only 1 day apart. Went in to consult the doctor and she told me my EDD would be on 10th of August 2012 instead of the 4th. Was so surprised why did i have so many EDD. But i didnt care much.

On the 33 weeks, did a scan on my baby's weight and it was about 2.1kg.
On the 8th August 2012 i was 39 weeks 4 day and did a weight scan again. The doctor told me baby was 3.415kg.
Went to consult the doctor and decided to induce because i cant wait to see my baby. Doctor told me i was already 2cm but my cervix was still very hard so she stretch and i had some bleeding. Couldnt admit straight to the hospital as the labor wards are full and everyone is planning to push their baby out on the 9th of August as it was national day. So i admitted on 9th of August 2012 instead.

Reached hospital on the 9th of August 2012 at 1pm. Went for my CTG and 1st pill insertion. Was pushed back to ward on the 6pm. Nurse came to did a CTG scan for me again at 9pm and i could feel abit of the contraction pain.

10th of August 2012, in the morning about 7am. A nurse came and told me my 2nd pill will insert at 2pm.
At around 10am, a nurse came and told me i cant have my 2 pill as the rooms are all full there is no bed available until the next day at 11pm. So immediately i scolded the nurse " you want me to stay in the hospital for another day doing nothing?" so she went to call up the labor ward and came back telling me they would send me down at 1pm.

At 11am, the doctor came to check on my cervix and im still 2 cm dilate. After admitting in the hospital for 24 hours there is no dilation and im very sad about it.

2pm-When i was at the labor room. I told the nurse that my contractions are getting stronger so they check for me but im still 2cm. At that point of time the nurse did give me options on pain relieve but i insist on getting EPI only as i heard it was the strongest that could numb whole lower body. But she told me EPI could only be given at 3cm onwards. So i endure the pain and the nurse told me to go up my ward and rest. Went to walked around at the hospital and back to my ward, i decided to do some squatting exercise as i've heard it would speed up the dilation process. So i stand next to the bed, Squat and stand for 60 times, after doing it i felt my leg jelly-ed and sweating all over my body, so i decided to head for a shower followed by resting on my bed.

3.30pm- The nurse came to my bed and told me will only send me down the labor ward if i experience huge pain.So i told my hubby at 4.30pm im going to press the bell and lie to the nurse im having pain if not they will just ignore you.

4pm- Contractions are coming for real and its very intense, so i pressed the bell and the nurse wheeled me down, did CTG scan and by then my contractions are very intense. But i still insist on getting EPI but not other pain relieve. So the nurse checked if i'm 3cm so that i could get my epidural. And finally! I was 3cm, the squating exercise was really useful. The nurse insertted the drip for me and it was really painful.

5.30pm- Got my hubby to get 2 sandwich for me as after i've taken EPI i could have any food. Finished the sandwiches and i had the EPI. Took about 20 minutes for the injection. About 2 mins later, i couldnt feel the pain and im so thankful for that.

6.30pm- The doctor came to burst my water bag and i went to sleep till 11pm.

11pm- Checking my dilation and im 7cm. and i went back to sleep again.

11th August 2012 1.57am- Midwife check my dilation again and im 9.5cm already and ask me to start pushing to open up my cervix to 10cm. They turn off my EPI and waiting for it to wear off in the mean time im still pushing with no feeling.

2.13am- EPI went off, THE HELL STARTS NOW! The tightening part at my tummy was very strong and pain. So they keep asking me to push. The nurse held on to both of my leg and ask me to push. The pain makes me unable to push at all. It was very painful and i keep kicking around. The nurse was very good they keep encouraging me despite i kept kicking them. Push for about 2.5hrs by then it was already 4.30am. I've already used up my strength. Was sweating and was i kept shouting but the doctor told me not too and use the strength to push. At the point of time i feel like giving up already. After that my baby's head came out, the doctor hold the head and cut my, and i could hear the sisscor's sound (kiap) then i push again and my baby's body slide out very fast. Delivering the placenta part was very fast. But the stitching part was very painful too, the nurse jab my on my thigh, then keep using cotton to clean my blood, and inject my vagina, then start stitching. I had a very bag tear, got to stitch up the part the Doctor cut and i had a tear inside my vagina too, no idea how it tear inside but total up had around 20 over stitches.

Couldnt walk for 24 hrs and the nurse had to come every 6 hours to assist me to urine in my bed. My vagina was very swollen like hamburger and makes me cant walk at all. Nurse gave me the cooling pad and its very helping because it can cool down the heat and numb my pain. Its like burning sensation.

Discharge on 12 Aug 2012 and need to walk using a walking stick for 2 days. After that everything is fine.

felicity

Wah all the detailed birth stories.. Mine's like so short n brief...

QikeLi wow! What an experience >< but now all is well n bb is cute n all worth it right? I pushed for one hour and although during prenatal class we were told not to make noise, I made a lot of noise pushing too initially, n the midwives were v encouraging n kept reminding me not to make noise when pushing, then my energy will go to my throat instead of pushing, very wasted and I'll get a sore throat... So I tried my best to suppress the noise. But the final few pushes when gynae told me to push hard the bb is coming out, plus w vacuum assisted so the vacuum thingy inside v uncomfy, I was making noise again.. Fortunately bb came out soon after if not sure sapped of energy dunno how to continue... My one hr already like hell to me, u pushed 2.5 hrs?! salute u!!

yeoymp

wah, Qikeli....ur story was so detailed. and indeed my sis did warn me not to scream during labour, coz u will sore throat after that. plus we cant drink water after gave birth.

so i managaed to endure the pain and my push my baby out (1st baby born jan 2011). and im expecting no.2 due in 2 weeks time......hope 2nd wil be faster.

and im deliver in kkh too.

Jasminekuek

Hi congrats to all e new mummies and welcome to e motherhood journey :)
maybe i can share somethings wz u mummies after give birth my 3 childs.
1) if ur condition ok (water bag did not burst) shower n wash ur hair b4 admitted hospital.
2) if u are e kind of cannot stand for pain n v scared of labour, my advice is to take epidural. Bcoz if u very tense ur cervix wil not open easily and u will need to suffer for long hours labour.
3) when e time to push, dun waste ur energy in screem n anyhow push (i noe sometimes we really cant control ourself due to e contraction) jz follow nurse's guide. Some nurse r v gd, she wil teach u e technique of breathing n push but some r not. For my experience i noted tat we hv to open our mouth to hv a deep breath, aft tat hold it close ur mouth n push. When e time u push u must put all e focus on ur bottom, n remember dun open ur mouth when u pushing. Hold e push as long as u can.
4) drink more water (red date water would be encourage) aft delivery, it is to prevent u hv constipation. If u hv very hard stool, it will make ur wound tear.
Hope all these will help to u all. All e best. Jia you

sapphire

Hi bertrande, congrats on the birth of ur baby!! Thanks for sharing the birth story, was one of the very detailed ones.. hehe.. hope i can give my acct as detailed as yours when the time comes... btw, how far were u into the pregnancy when baby decided to pop out??

also, understand you delivered at MAH, can you share how was the service, food n what did they provide for you and baby during ur stay and on discharge???

zaclin29

WOW bertrande! U can still eat at 5cm!
I was too tired and concentrating on the pain management that I forgotten abt my biscuits in the bag! Haha...
But kudos to u on no epi!

zaclin29

wah Qikeli! Ur labour is so long and salute u to be able to tahan all the way...
I was also told not to scream or else I will have sore throat later.. haha..

QikeLi

Cant remember how i make it through the 2.5 hrs. by then my baby is out. ive got no energy to be happy at all and hardly glance at him also. hahaha

Ain1707

Hi bertrande,

How i wish i can go down from bed during the contractions. I was bleeding throughout my labor and able to lay down only :( . Thinking back about the pain was like a nightmare, but being a mom now is like a dream! :)

Hi QikeLi,

I still remember when my nurse cut off the epi, i was like sooo scared to feel the pain back. Lol. But i kept thinking that every single contraction was like giving way for my baby to come out :) i pushed so hard and within 20 mins he got to see the world :) but u with 2.5hrs of pushing!! Oh my.. *speechless*

Anyway guys, thanks for sharing your detailed stories!! :)

Ain1707

vonniesia, i guess 99% mommies here have to receive stitches especially for the first timers. Its either u are cut or natural tear, like me i kena both :( . I heard that the perineum massage can avoid tearing. I did the massage two weeks before my edd but it didnt work for me. U can try though.

Here are some infos on the perineum massage:

What is Perineum Massage?
This is a valid question that begs for an answer. First and foremost, perineum massage can be done by all people no matter what age group they belong to. It is commonly performed by pregnant women to prepare them to the day of birth. Perineum massage can help strengthen the perineal area and it can also increase its flexibility.How is Perineum Massage Done?Perineum massage can be done by gently massaging and stretching the area between the anus and vagina. It can also be done by tightening the perineal area as if stopping your self from urinating or defecating. Husbands can also help their wife when it comes to perineum massage. Since the perineal area can be a little bit hard to reach because of the size of the abdomen, husbands can reach massage the perineum and make it easier for the wife.

What are the benefits of Perineum Massage?
There are many benefits of perineum massage and it can benefit not only pregnant women but also people who like to have a healthier perineum. The following are some of the benefits that you can derive from perineum massage.Increased elasticity – perineum massage help the perineal area to be more elastic. This will help to accommodate the size of the soon to be baby. Perineum massage can even help you avoid episiotomy (cutting the lower part of vaginal to enlarge its opening) in some degrees.Increased perineal strength – the perineum is made of muscle and stimulating it through massage can mimic the natural muscle building of the body. Increased perineal strength can help in pushing the baby during delivery.Make you familiar with actual birth delivery – perineum massage can give you a general idea and feeling of what it is like to give birth and when the head of the baby will finally push against your perineum.Build bond between partner – married couple can be more familiar with each other since perineum massage can be done with the husband. This is an opportunity to discuss feelings and concern for both partners.Increase time of recovery – postpartum period can be very exhausting because of the stress put on the mother. When you had done perineum massage before giving birth, it is more likely that you will recover in a faster rate because the perineal area has already cope up with a portion of the stress that giving birth may bring.

vonniesia

Ain, i already delivered my first baby on the 28th july this year. Doc did cut me but i dont know if i suffered any natural tear. i was just curious cos it seems like there are some mummies who doesnt need any cut or suffered any tear!

Ain1707

vonniesia, i guess they are too stretchy to receive any tear. Hehe. Yes i heard of that too.
They must have done lots of exercise.