Preg ladies terminated from service cos of pregnancy ?

Carol

I feel that the current law now does not cover enough protection for preg ladies. Mom law states that employer only needs to compensate maternity benefits if they termimate the preg employee 3 mths before she actually gave birth. That means in the first few months, employer is still free to terminate them from service. How can they find jobs in their preg state ?

When I was preg, employer purposely find out my Edd and terminated me 4 days before the 3 mths limit. But luckily, I gave birth early so he still has to compensate me :001_302:

Ministry of Manpower | Maternity Leave

CynCyn

This is a very realistic world . Bosses tend to discriminate preg. woman . But they forgot they came out from the hole as well . Duh right . Most of companies won't be hiring woman in pregnant state either .

SDY

Alpha Male
Perhaps an affected mummy should write in to the ST forum page to highlight this issue. With the pro-family stance the govt is supposedly taking, it may illicit a response from MOM. Who knows, govt may review the legislation.

-SRI-

Yalor...I kena terminate...but b4 they terminate me..i terminate myself...hehehe...I actually a temp staff after which they'll change it to perm staff...After i told them I preg..Boss wanna terminate me & told my dept to find a new gal...I actually understand them as a point of view of the company as I taking over a lady who going for maternity leave in a few mths time..but i feel sad as they reject due to my pregnancy...So as to make things difficult for them..I purposely quit at tt mth cz I wanna them to feel the urgency of finding a suitable candidates in a short period of time so they noe hw i feel for being rejected in a short of time too.. hehehe... evil me... And till nw they hv a hard time finding a candidate..the recent candidate hv been sacked cz she cant performed.. Hahaha...Tink they too kiasu to find a worker till they forgot to test if she up to the job or nt.. For me, as long as the preg lady can perform her job, she shldnt be terminated...

Amulet

my colleague was terminated during her 5th month of pregnancy as she was constantly unwell thus on MC.. she went to MOM to ask for help and MOM is trying to help her make my boss pay for at least one month compensation.. but my stingy boss totally refused to pay.. and even told MOM tat he terminated my colleague due to her slack in work performance, refusing to admit that he terminated her due to her taking more MCs.. but i seen my colleague work before.. she is a very good n efficient receptionist lo.. :bmad:

and now, after this thing, my boss then agree to give me my 3 months maternity pay as before this episode with my colleague, he was actually going to hold on to my 3 months maternity pay till Sep 08 de.. coz that was the 'company policy'

Last edited:

babypris86

Re: ^_^

I have frens who encountered similar issue too... she got sack on the very spot when she told her boss that she got pregnant... we will like WTH!!! very evil lor.. some more the boss is a woman... quite ashamed that even lady boss also like that... further more my fren is a very gd worker.. even got very gd comments from big boss... but her lady boss, in order to save the trouble, just sack her without vaild reason... eventually she go to MOM and make this news known to the big boss... The big boss was shocked cuz he was told that my fren resigned due to that she is pregnant and need to rest... so all along her lady boss is doing the dirty work... so even they ask her to go back, she refuse...

hi mummies,
though i was lucky that i didn't get terminated when i got pregnant but my ex company, a Chinese company, they are sucks...for my 3yrs there, no bonus, no AWS, no leave, no marriage leave either... I quit that job soon after i finish my maternity as they keep calling me and ask me to go back to work during my 2nd mth maternity, which i did as i thought this might earn me some extra... though i asked for it bt they still didn't give me any AWS or bonus even the company is making profit for the last 2yrs. When asked abt the AWS, my immediate superior, SHE can remind me that over the last 9mths there's mistakes in ur work n u took MCs, we didnt say u & we pay for ur 3mths maternity...so u be grateful. After heard this I QUIT! & she happily accept it & keep remind me if i dun finish wat they want they will SUE me, I didn't care, after serving my 1mth notice i leave(as what MOM guidelines)... of course try to finish all their unreasonable request.

Now after 3mths they still cant get any replacement.

*** QNS: Last maternity mth will be compensate by MOM...isnt?

Last edited:

Minami

MOM won't compensate the last month of maternity if at the time of claim, you are not in service. I was not compensated.

To cut things short, i was terminated 1 month before i delivered as i was hospitalised due to risk of early labour and thereafter my gynae gave me hospitalisation leave for 2 months, they terminated me while i was under HL as they say i'd utilised all my HL and is deem as "unfit" for work. They compensated me the 2 months' maternity leave but say the 3rd month cannot be compensated as govt won't allow them to claim.

azure

sigh ... reality hurts.
the moment i told my employer i'm pregnant .... i'm kana the axe ... all i wanted is to take some unpaid leave as i wasn't feeling well & my job required alot of concentration span .... and i'm alone living in Sg as my hubby is away on his job for a yr .... my parents are also not in sg ....

the irony is that my Male boss said ok & was happy for me.... but my HR who is a woman, grandmother of 2, told me, well, there is no problem living alone in SG, i should be able to work till my full term & staying alone in SG, and go to the hospital to deliver myself ... i was like errh... if i'm sick, who can i turn to ... so i hope to take some time off to join my family & she tried to forced me to resign so that the company do not need to pay for the maternity benefits. so cruel, so disappointing.

can MOM protect us ...fr such discrimination?
how come Singaporeans woman dun support woman .... they forgotten that they or their daughters face the same issue sometime in life too?

infact i feel so disgusted with my HR, esp being such an educated woman of well stature & good family backgrounds ...

Vicki

wow thats sad, sorry to hear that. well wat to do? working in SG is like that i guess.. pple only trying to squeeze everything out from you to prevent them from having extra work. totally no feeling to those in need.

azure

thanks Irene ... but the problem is .... they will deny that they "force" me to resign ... by just saying that it is the nature of the job that the workload is heavy. It is my choice that i have decided to be in this line .... it is not easy to sue a bank ... not to mention this HR lady ... there has been prev cases of unfair treatment & court case which made things really ugly .... hence sometimes on paper it looks perfectly fine, but in reality can it really work ?

Jenni

Hi,

I am pregnant going 4mths now, Last wed my boss just talk to me that they are going to pay me 5mths pay (4mths Maternity & 1mth notice) and ask me to rest at home means they are going to retrent me. So sad and dont no what to do coz my Edd is at Dec 09. How am i going to find job if i am pregnant now? just talk to my manager and confirm that my company is going to ask me to go.

Ashbaby

Hi,

I am pregnant going 4mths now, Last wed my boss just talk to me that they are going to pay me 5mths pay (4mths Maternity & 1mth notice) and ask me to rest at home means they are going to retrent me. So sad and dont no what to do coz my Edd is at Dec 09. How am i going to find job if i am pregnant now? just talk to my manager and confirm that my company is going to ask me to go.

At least they compensate you....

Queenbabe

Hi,

U know that time i only have one month pay & one month notice compensate haiz ..... think u got to find another job after birth better .....

stonston

I think you should write to MOM to ask if it's possible for you to get more compensation for asking you to leave early, esp now tt u r preggie.

These companies should be condemned, we should put up a blog or sumthing not to work in these companies if planning to get married and have babies...

jal

Ya I got terminated too (after less than 3 months of service!) but it was not because of pregnancy. Do you know what my stupid Japanese ex-boss told me? "Oh, we decided that it would be better for you to go as you dont like to do OT", "It is better that you leave the company as you always go home leaving a big pile of unfinished work on your desk. When other staff walk by, they give me comments about your going home despite the amount of work left", "You made mistakes in your work & other people are not happy with you."

You know what? All these 'reasons' are pure excuses! Because the ex-staff who left also seldom do OT because she knows that due to the nature of the work, it is impossible to finish everything. So when she goes home, there is also a big pile of unfinished work left on her desk! You see, me & the ex-staff behaved in the same way.
Moreover, my seat was not situated at the common area where people who walked into the office can see my table. So what nonsense was he blabbering when he said other people who walked by can see a big pile of unfinished work on my table huh??? And he dared to use these excuses as justification to get rid of me! When he said the above, he looked as if he was really enjoying himself. There was this smirk look playing on his lips all the while. I was so shocked at his behaviour I wanted to retaliate but as I was too upset at his invalid criticism, tears just rolled down my face...

The only difference between ex-staff & me lies in my making mistakes perhaps? Well, that's only because I just joined the company (less than 3 months for goodness' sake!) & I am still learning the ropes. So even if I made mistakes, it is inevitable. Come on, who doesn't right? The ex-staff has been in the company for almost 2 years. How can you compare me with her? As my boss, he should defend me when other people attack me (if such a criticism is even true in the first place!) instead of agreeing with them. By the way, my Japanese ex-boss is like a dog who grovels to all Japanese staff around him, even if some of them are not manager! This is because he works very hard in making sure that all those around him have a very good impression of him.

Before I got terminated, I had 1 chinese boss who left the company because he could not worked with that darn japanese man. I told my chinese boss what happened & he said that japanese man is very mean & heartless to get rid of me after I cleared up such a big mess (because there was a time gap after ex-staff left & work just piled up like a mountain) for the company when I first joined. That darn man will definitely get his retribution!

Last edited:
can I check with all the mommies here are chinese companies very hard to work in? I m trying to conceive but now my company had been bought over by a chinese firm. i m in a dilemma of what to do next. my hb's job is a credit collector but his salary is damn unstable.

stonston

Chinese company as in China company or Singaporean Chinese company?

From what I heard from my friend who is working in a China Company based in SG, her immediate boss is nice (Singaporean). Her China bosses are demanding but once your prove your worth in the company and work hard they are quite alright. But she says that they are not very pro-family. Keep complaining about MOM rules in SG tt must give maternity leave for so long and must give CC leave. My friend worked there for more than 10yrs already then got preggie, so they did not say much. & she arranged her work very nicely before going to delivery (she'll work from home through internet and video conferencing, then her colleagues will pass paperwork/documents to her and her temp was trained by her to take over the jobs tt require her to be physically at the office).

Bubbleblue, if you wanna TTC, go ahead. Just work hard and prove your worth to the company. Dun worry too much :)