Pumping for 1 hour but only 50ml?

Phoebii Cheng

Did u massage it as u pump? tht time the KKH lactation nurse told me to massage my breast bf I pump........even though it is painful, she say no choice, for ur son's sake u hv to do it :tlaugh:

But after a while right, the hardness is not there any more after I pump for about a week.....

Did u massage it as u pump? tht time the KKH lactation nurse told me to massage my breast bf I pump........even though it is painful, she say no choice, for ur son's sake u hv to do it :tlaugh:

But after a while right, the hardness is not there any more after I pump for about a week.....
Huh? 1 week? Wah lau, I wanna faint man...

For me i gave birth since 2 weeks ago but not much milk.. Till now i pump for 1 hour, i get less than 50ml of milk and my breast is not hard... Does it mean i got no milk?

snowbear

I have been pumping for 1 hour but only got 50ml of milk but my breast still has hard as stone... how huh?
If you can't pump out the milk and your breasts are hard like stone, you need to get the milk out!!! Place warm towel on your breast and massage your breast in circular motion towards the nipple. As you're pumping, try to press and massage the hard portions of your breast. You should feel pain but you'll be able to see milk flowing out. Keep doing that until your breasts feel soft.

uddermummy

For me i gave birth since 2 weeks ago but not much milk.. Till now i pump for 1 hour, i get less than 50ml of milk and my breast is not hard... Does it mean i got no milk?
pumping is not always a v accurage representation of how much milk you have.

did the funnel cover your whole aereola? try masasging, using hot compress, drinking hot drinks, taking warm shower and most importantly relaxing.

You may want to check out the hand compression method doris fok taught me in the how to get bf flowing thread. :)

Phoebii Cheng

Huh? 1 week? Wah lau, I wanna faint man...
Dun know tht time I experience the hardness bf I pump each time for abt a week...then after tht bf I pump, my breast dun feel hard anymore...but still got BM ........tht time I oso worry, till the KKH lactation nurse told me to take fenugreek....which I took, abt 9 tabs a day, so my BM increased by abt 2 to 3 times.....

Tht time cos' my son was in ICU one week mah, so I hv to pump to give it to him, no choice......

uddermummy

did your son have green stools while you were on fenugreeK? cos i heard that fenugreek increases the foremilk only and too much foremilk will cause green stools

Hehe, now so happy. If pump both breast at the same time, about 15 mins can get 50ml... :D. If single pump each breast will be 30mins for 50ml...

JazN

what brand of breast pump did u use? My bb is newborn though supply has increased its taking hours to pump out EBM. How often should we express breast milk, any idea as i'm waking up in the middle of night taking 1-2 hours, sleepy & tired after I'm done.

Hehe, now so happy. If pump both breast at the same time, about 15 mins can get 50ml... :D. If single pump each breast will be 30mins for 50ml...

JazN

should go to see the lactation consultant, i did recently at kkh as i felt both inner & outer of breast hard & could not sleep. My pain tolerance is still moderate thus was thankful for the nurse's massage as my breast became softer & i could sleep well that night

cherry

I also takes fenugreek but I dont't think it will sort of "dilute" the milk. The important point is that I also pump out the milk every 2 hours whenever i'm at home. I could see clearly that the milk remains yellowish, instead of milky clear white color. Regarding the stools, seems not really green in color at all. Still yellowish most of the time.

what brand of breast pump did you use? My baby is newborn though supply has increased its taking hours to pump out EBM. How often should we express breast milk, any idea as i'm waking up in the middle of night taking 1-2 hours, sleepy & tired after I'm done.
For me now, I am glad I can TBF my little one. I pump every 4 to 6 hours only. Each time its about 150ml for continous pumping of 30 mins for both breast. When I dont pump, I latch on. Depends on how your routine is like ...

For night feeding, basically I latch her on. Yup, its tiring...

stonston

May I know what pump you are using? It could be tt the pump is not suitable for you :)

You should pump after every latching session to increase supply. If you use dual pump, you only need max 30min to empty both breasts. Initially may take longer cos not used to it, but after a while you will get the hang of it :)

Massage as you pump to allow the milk to flow out better.

Usually middle of the night I dun wake up to pump unless it's very full n painful. But i pump before i sleep and once i wake up :)