Should I go for natural or cesarean birth?

Hi all! Recently, I've been thinking bout this evyday. I know most mummies encourage natural birth coz of easier recovery n etc. However, I'm really really afraid of the tear I'm gonna have 'down there' n all my mummy frens told mr more or less, it will be looser there too. I know ppl say u can do exercises to strengthen your muscles, but then again, your 'down under' is still gonna be with u forever.

Also I think I've developed piles( not sure if it is serious) coz of constipation n after vaginal birth, it's gonna worsen! Oh no.. Can't imagine what I hafta go thru if I choose natural birth.

And for cesarean , I'm afraid I may not be able to
recover well from d wound n can't breastfeed n care for baby as easily as after natural birth.and afraid of the scar as well. So confused!

Which option mummies opting for? Or any experiences?

PinkDiamonds

I think whichever method you choose, you will also be in pain. It is true that your muscles will loosen. Besides pelvic and kegel exercises, you can also consider cosmetic surgery if tightening the muscles there is very important to you.

I've slight piles before and during my 1st pregnancy. After I delivered (naturally) I didn't have piles anymore. Also, it depends on whether yours are internal/external. Whether or not the piles will worsen depends on how well you take care of your body, not depends on whether you go for natural delivery or C-section. Of course, if the piles are very bad, your gynae may recommend for a C-section.

The tear down there recovers quite quickly, depending on how well you keep it the wound clean. I've heard that the C-section wound takes a longer time to recover. There's actually 8 layers of skin that the gynae has to sew up, so you can imagine how long it will take for 8 layers of skin to full close up and recover.

You can breastfeed after a C-section as well as after natural delivery. Success in breastfeeding in not determined by the method of delivery, but how determined you are and how hardworking you want to be to succeed in breastfeeding.

You also need to consider how many children you want to have. For C-section your body needs at least 1 year to recover before you can get pregnant again. Plus, there are some risks involved for a VBAC (vaginal birth after C-section). If I am not mistaken, I think you can only allow yourself to go for a maximum of 2 C-sections. 3rd pregnancy onwards will be more risky.

On a final note, why don't you leave it to your baby to decide? If baby is in head-down position, then maybe baby wants to be delivered naturally. If baby is not in head-down position by 36 weeks, then take it as a sign to go for C-section. :)

ling.er

Hi,

As for mi 1st i wana go for Natuarl birth wan i go for my check up on 35wk my gyane notice tat baby head is quite high & head is round scare i might nt able to natural birth so inform mi to come check again next wk as is 36wk See weather head gt down abit ..
WHen 36wk i whent check up, still no change baby head stil high so doc give mi 3 choice
- Let natuarl tk course
- Go hospital tk X-ray , Measure e head hw round it is & see weather can natural birth anot
- C-sec
In end i choose c-sec .. If can i sure go for natuarl birth .. Nataurl birth recover really quite fast then C-sec . Hmm is depend hw fast e wound recover if u goin for c-sec cos i B.F on hospital on 2nd day .. Wound nt tat pain when i discharg on 3rd day .. So no need worry so much if u choose c -sec .. I agree with pinkdiamon mummy , let ur baby do the decide .. Mean time relax & enjoy the preggy , U will miss it ^^ :wong19::wong19:

apollo

i chose c-sect due to 2 reasons:

- by 36weeks, my baby head turn up again, he has been turn 'ard' in my tummy. so i just chose c-sect. my gynae encouraged me to wait till last min, last checkup see if his head will turn up anot but i still prefer to choose c-sect 1st cos i'm more afriad of LAST MIN c-sect, no time for me to have mental prepare. though during last checkup, my baby head turned down but i still stick to c-sect plan

- i had very very bad piles. so bad that i cant even walk properly and have to rest on bed most of the time, lying side way. this is one of the reason y i choose to stick to c-sect plan.

many mummies discourage c-sect due to the aft effect and it is not a 'natural' thing. but if u ask me, i will say the final decision lies on u, no one has the right to 'interfere', only gif advices. if u choosee c-sect, aft tt dun regret. cos the wound can be really PAINFUL! when u started to walk on 2nd day, it seems lik the wound is tearing apart. but i managed to tolerant the pain.

lik what PinkDiamonds said, not matter which way, u will feel pain. natural birth is the contraction pain, c-sect is AFTER the bb carry out. natural birth wound pain might only last for few days while c-sect might last for 2-3mths but the 'killer pain' is only for a week though.

for c-sect there is a 'limit'. u can only c-sect 3 times. but i noe some ppl can c-sect uip to 4x but the chances are v rare. if u only wan 2 kids even both genders are the same, den okay, if not abit 'risky' haha!

Last edited:

bibiluvr

hi dear,
I made up my mind that I would go for natural delivery when i was pregnant since there seem to be more good reasons for doing that.. but of coz, like u, i had lots of confusing thoughts as well..I was oso afraid of this and that..I gave birth naturally in the end and developed external piles... frankly, it hurt.. and i wasn't on epidural coz my bb came out too fast... my delivery was only an hour...my hubby told me just do watever i like coz he was worried that after giving birth to the first one, i would be too scared to give birth again...

haha.. but after going through, i told him i will go for c-sect the next time rd but think in my heart, i would still opt for natural... think, all the pain was worth it..

But dun stress over this too much, let nature takes its course...

pepperphibs

Hi,
All along during the pregnancy i wanted normal delivery, partly cos i wanted to experience the whole thing but it was not to be cos in the end also c-sect after 1 hr of pushing. Baby too big (3.685kg), birth canal small according to gynae.

So, cos of my experience, i advise u to check which your gynae what he/she recommends. Honestly speaking, i was crying when they were preparing me for the c-sect cos everything happened so fast and my hubby had to leave to get robed.
I wasn't mentally prepared cos from the time i agreed to having a c-sect till my daughter's birth, less than half an hour!

As for the wound, its really depending on your own body. I've heard cases of infection but for me, the wound healed very well.Dunno if its cos my gynae was skillful in his stitching or what, but i could walk from the 2nd day and did not need painkillers.

I did my jamu massage from the 2nd week and everything was ok. As for the scar, its quite faint la, wear bikini also cannot see so don't worry.

Btw, i did not pay for both normal and c-sect charges at the hospital. Only for C-sect . a lot of people think if like that, have to pay for both.

Hope this helps!

we choose to normal delivery, but my baby head still not turn yet, will go to scan again next week, if still not turn, have to go for c-section next week...

prepared for normal delivery already, now have to get prepared for cesarean.. :eek:11:

pepperphibs

we choose to normal delivery, but my baby head still not turn yet, will go to scan again next week, if still not turn, have to go for c-section next week...

prepared for normal delivery already, now have to get prepared for cesarean.. :eek:11:
Think on the bright side, u will get to see your baby much sooner with less hard work. Opt for epi if u can, then hubby can be with u throughout!

bibiluvr

So long as baby is healthy, dun worry too much... jia u... u should be happy coz finally can get to see bb soon..

Hi ladies! Thank u all for your replies! Actually all along I prefer natural birth coz I wish to experience the whole labour process. But just afraid if in the end I gotta go for emergency c sect , then under GA, then hubby won't be able to go in with me.I guess like most mummies say, let nature tAkes its course.

CanCanMum

i dddink Pinkie diamond darling has explained quite detailed about the decision making processes.....

ehhh sometimes u might not b able to be in a position to think about it at all........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

like me, waterbag burst and straight i go off to deliver lOlzzzzzzzzzz, dunn even have any chance to think about it..............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, all my birth plans didnt get a chance to realise at all :p

Phoebii Cheng

Yes me too...I actually planned for natural birth, but in the end I had emergency c-section instead ......

But I say that whichever option is chosen, it will be the best for you & bb and most importantly is that bb is safe & healthy

angelwendy

Recently, I've been thinking bout this evyday. I know most mummies encourage natural birth coz of easier recovery n etc. However, I'm really really afraid of the tear I'm gonna have 'down there' n all my mummy friends told mr more or less, it will be looser there too. I know ppl say you can do exercises to strengthen your muscles, but then again, your 'down under' is still gonna be with you forever.

As for looser down there... IS NOT TRUE..:tlaugh: of course u can do some muscles exercise to strengthen it...

Also I think I've developed piles( not sure if it is serious) coz of constipation n after vaginal birth, it's gonna worsen! Oh no.. Can't imagine what I hafta go thru if I choose natural birth.

i do have piles as well.. but after birth everything is ok... no more constipation... & is not worsen as well... i think it all depends...

And for cesarean , I'm afraid I may not be able to
recover well from d wound n can't breastfeed n care for baby as easily as after natural birth.and afraid of the scar as well. So confused!

Actually c sect is take longer to recover...but it really depends.. sometime is not up to us to choose.. some choose normal delivery but end up with c sect... so depends...

After reading all your replies here, made me wanna try natural again. I Agree sometimes we can't choose or plan ahead. Was thinking even if I choose c sect, say, at 38 weeks, if bb wanna come out at 37 weeks, I still gotta go natural.. Hehee... Shun Qi Zhi Ran now !

Seems like most mummies develop piles also. Did doc give any medication to ease it after birth? By the wAy, since all experienced mummies r here, can I ask, how does bb hiccups feel like? I always feel a light thumping/ kicking at lower abdomen( like heartbeat) but v consistent ! Happens maybe twice a day.

Sorry for asking so many qns=p

apollo

After reading all your replies here, made me wanna try natural again. I Agree sometimes we can't choose or plan ahead. Was thinking even if I choose c sect, say, at 38 weeks, if baby wanna come out at 37 weeks, I still gotta go natural.. Hehee... Shun Qi Zhi Ran now !

Seems like most mummies develop piles also. Did doc give any medication to ease it after birth? By the wAy, since all experienced mummies r here, can I ask, how does baby hiccups feel like? I always feel a light thumping/ kicking at lower abdomen( like heartbeat) but very consistent ! Happens maybe twice a day.

for piles, my gynae gave me cream and tablets to eat b4 i gave birth but it soes not wk for me. i pain all the way till i deliver.. LOL!

CanCanMum

After reading all your replies here, made me wanna try natural again. I Agree sometimes we can't choose or plan ahead. Was thinking even if I choose c sect, say, at 38 weeks, if baby wanna come out at 37 weeks, I still gotta go natural.. Hehee... Shun Qi Zhi Ran now !

Seems like most mummies develop piles also. Did doc give any medication to ease it after birth? By the wAy, since all experienced mummies r here, can I ask, how does baby hiccups feel like? I always feel a light thumping/ kicking at lower abdomen( like heartbeat) but very consistent ! Happens maybe twice a day.

actually for first baby, chances of earlier delivery is not high, normally most will full term :)

if i were to choose childbirth options again, i would still go for natural wo epidural.. Coz its an experience of a life time~~~

baby hiccups arhh, its a sudden jerky movement inside, i dddink so hahah~~~but Baber likes to move/hiccup alot at night, mostly sleep in the day ~~~:p

CanCanMum

ohh yeshh i got piles from 3rd trimester onwards

my mum says apply a bit of Zambak at the piles areas will ease the pain....

it went off by itself around 1 month after my delivery.

for piles, my gynae gave me cream and tablets to eat before i gave birth but it soes not wk for me. i pain all the way till i deliver.. LOL!
Ooo... Can imagine the pain u went thru! Alot of medicine doesn't wrk for me also hahaa! Was prescribed a few laxatives by gynae but still constipated. Kaoz,.... Nearly bought Enema to let out everythg. Hahaa like v shiok like that.can't wait to c gynae again! Duno y he put my next visit 3weeks later, tot supposed to go evy 2 weeks le. By the way, Apollo, are u a wrking mu
? Coz I'm not wrking aldy but not sure if sud be a full
time mum. Think I will go crazy staying home all day!:001_302: