Starts to Feed Solid

snowbear

hehe i made porridge for my girl today but then somehow made it too watery lol. btw, do we have to make porridge till very pasty by grinding it in the food precessor after cook/ or smash it up with spoon or even if we can see rice also ok? my girl 7mths now...cant find this kind of info in ang mo site lol
If you don't want to have to smash up the rice grains, just cook longer. I use slow cooker to cook for 2-3 hrs. Younger babies need smoother textures.

annie

i tried making it today.. tedious man...i soak the rice for bout 30mins then boil for another 30mins.. then smash up the porridge. so tiring.. took me so long to prepare... any idea wat i can do to prevent the rice from sticking at the base of the pot? i did stir but still stick leh...

i no slow cooker.. btw, the porridge i made very sticky leh. does tat means not enough water? then before i give her i should thin it more with water? or sticky sticky is normal?

when can we give bb the porridge without smashing them up?

Last edited:

Domique

u really like chef for babies. Will ask u if my PD give green light for Alaric for SSF coming week

If you don't want to have to smash up the rice grains, just cook longer. I use slow cooker to cook for 2-3 hrs. Younger babies need smoother textures.

annie

need to ask pd?? i never leh. hmm... i just watch my girl.. when she shows interest in my food i start giving her semi solid...how old is your bb?

autumn82

i tried making it today.. tedious man...i soak the rice for bout 30mins then boil for another 30mins.. then smash up the porridge. so tiring.. took me so long to prepare... any idea wat i can do to prevent the rice from sticking at the base of the pot? i did stir but still stick leh...

i no slow cooker.. btw, the porridge i made very sticky leh. does tat means not enough water? then before i give her i should thin it more with water? or sticky sticky is normal?

when can we give bb the porridge without smashing them up?
Erm.. U can use a non stick pot to cook. I bought one to cook porridge for Iggy. After cooking the porridge, when he is awake and abt to eat. I will then dump the ingredients (fish/pork/chicken/vegs) in and cook. Once cooked, I'll use blender to blend it.

If she just try out, prob make it slightly watery would be easily to swallow. Just add some hot water if u find it too thick.

Erm.. Depends how well ur baby takes the porridge consistency? Iggy up to today, I still blend his porridge but not too fine like b4, got slight bits. :001_302:

annie

i thought of using blender also cos using the strainer too tedious.. maybe shall try it next time.

i dun have non stick pot leh.. if so i got to go buy.. any ways to prevent sticking using those normal metal pot??

snowbear

i thought of using blender also cos using the strainer too tedious.. maybe shall try it next time.

i dun have non stick pot leh.. if so i got to go buy.. any ways to prevent sticking using those normal metal pot??
Ya, i used to pass the porridge thru the sieve coz i used brown rice (brown rice got harder husks). btw, some people say that blending causes wind in tummy. Up to you to decide... Anyway, i'm using normal white rice now to cook porridge and i dun blend it/ pass it thru the sieve anymore since Alicia turned 10months old.

Anyway, stirring continuously while cooking will help sticking to the metal pot but very tedious to keep stirring for so long... Why not invest in a small slow cooker? You can use it for quite long coz bb will be eating porridge for quite a while.

If porridge is too sticky, you can add a little hot water to it to desired consistency. Too sticky might be difficult for young baby to swallow. Too watery some babies dun like (like my Alicia).

Last edited:

annie

ooh.. i thought need to get pd check before we can intro solid.. scare me...

my girl also dun like watery food.. she will blow bubbles at the spoon if i feed her anything too watery...but hor.. puree also using blender ma. so those will acuse wind also? or its just porridge? for brown rice, actually can grind up the rice into powder before cooking so that it will be soft n pasty right? i was wondering wats the diff between brown rice cereal n brown rice porridge.. just consistency? cos from those ang mo site, its said to grind up the powder before cooking for brown rice cereal.. then for brown rice porridge, the cooking method seems to be the same as white rice porridge...

slow cooker wont stick to the bottom? non stick pan also wont stick? means i buy either one is ok? what else can a slow cooker do? eg cook soup?

snowbear

ooh.. i thought need to get pd check before we can intro solid.. scare me...

my girl also dun like watery food.. she will blow bubbles at the spoon if i feed her anything too watery...but hor.. puree also using blender ma. so those will acuse wind also? or its just porridge? for brown rice, actually can grind up the rice into powder before cooking so that it will be soft n pasty right? i was wondering wats the diff between brown rice cereal n brown rice porridge.. just consistency? cos from those ang mo site, its said to grind up the powder before cooking for brown rice cereal.. then for brown rice porridge, the cooking method seems to be the same as white rice porridge...

slow cooker wont stick to the bottom? non stick pan also wont stick? means i buy either one is ok? what else can a slow cooker do? eg cook soup?
I bought a food processor for blending her food and its blades aren't sharp enuff to grind rice grains into powder. I use my personal grinder (which has strong blades) to grind chilli into chilli paste when i make rempah, so i can't grind the rice grains into powder with it, just in case. :) So i just press the porridge thru sieve every day. Anyway the quantity is so little, doesn't take very long.

For blending puree, i use both the food processor and the sieve. Sometimes just push thru the sieve aft blending coz there may be some bits that are not even and a young baby will not be able to take those slightly bigger bits.

Slow cooker can be used to cook soup too. Rice grains dun get stuck to the cooker. You can turn it on and go out for about 2-3 hrs and come back to a porridge meal for your dd! :Dancing_wub:

annie

ooh.. i didnt buy food processor. i bought a food mill instead. the miller is meant to make things into powder and/or paste so i suppose brown rice is ok too.. so far ive only use it to grind oats n it works fine. for puree i also use that. so far its good n convenient hehe.

ok shall look into slow cooker! thanks!

Domique

See my ticker below.

becoz beter 6 mths then feed but my bb oni 4 mths.

need to ask pd?? i never leh. hmm... i just watch my girl.. when she shows interest in my food i start giving her semi solid...how old is your bb?

annie

snowbear, do u use those plastic bib for alicia during her meal time? i find that the bib(those with fix shape. hard plastic with a holder below to catch their spill food) dosent goes very well with the bumbo seat plus table cos the table's height too close to their chest then the bib always sit on the table n push her neck up lol. so now i dun use the table.. just feed her on the bumbo seat.. im thinking of buying those plastic bib tops. those which includes the vest as well n a holder below to catch the food(soft plastic. not those hard ones. im using the hard ones). have u tried that before? which do u recommend?

snowbear

snowbear, do you use those plastic bib for alicia during her meal time? i find that the bib(those with fix shape. hard plastic with a holder below to catch their spill food) dosent goes very well with the bumbo seat plus table cos the table's height too close to their chest then the bib always sit on the table and push her neck up lol. so now i dont use the table.. just feed her on the bumbo seat.. im thinking of buying those plastic bib tops. those which includes the vest as well and a holder below to catch the food(soft plastic. not those hard ones. im using the hard ones). have you tried that before? which do you recommend?
Yeah, i've tried the one with the hard plastic to catch food and the one without. The one without the hard plastic has a folded portion to catch the food but alicia keeps pulling the velcro.. I also fed her without the table when i used the one with the hard plastic. In general i use the tray only to 'lock' her in the bumbo. :)

Anyway, after using bibs for a couple of months i stopped using them coz she hardly dirties herself nowadays... so dun buy too many bibs..

annie

wow.. i read tat babies are messy eater till 2-3 yrs old! your alicia very clean leh.. so envy.. my girl loves to put her hands into her mouth full of food then wipe on her chair or anything near her eg table legs! then as usual.. spalsh her food everywhere by blowing bubbles...when she sick i give her medicine she also blow bubbles.. god knows how much medicine she swallow...

i bought only one plastic hard bib.. then was thinking of buying the soft one. 1 also la. the plastic one can simply wash under running tap.. the soft one can ma? or i need to wipe it? my girl loves to look around so the hard plastic bib sometimes goes crocked n then she will dirty her clothes.. so i was wondering if the soft one can cover more?

snowbear

wow.. i read that babies are messy eater till 2-3 yrs old! your alicia very clean .. so envy.. my girl loves to put her hands into her mouth full of food then wipe on her chair or anything near her eg table legs! then as usual.. spalsh her food everywhere by blowing bubbles...when she sick i give her medicine she also blow bubbles.. god knows how much medicine she swallow...

i bought only one plastic hard bib.. then was thinking of buying the soft one. 1 also . the plastic one can simply wash under running tap.. the soft one can ? or i need to wipe it? my girl loves to look around so the hard plastic bib sometimes goes crocked and then she will dirty her clothes.. so i was wondering if the soft one can cover more?
she's not been using bibs for at least 2 months already. Can't rem when i stopped using them on her. She also went through the stage of blowing out her food, wiping her hands everywhere aft putting them in the mouth (she still tries to put her hand into the mouth but i stop her very quickly).

ya, i understand how the bib can go crooked and dirty her clothes. If you're concerned about that, u can buy those plastic vest type (can wear like a normal garment). Ikea in Sg sells. I'm not sure if you can find that easily in Japan...

annie

ya can get it easily here. i was thinking of tat hehe. my girl is wearing her saliva bib 27/7 since 6 weeks old cos she drools alot n also blowing bubbles make her clothes wet... i hope can stop wearing bib for her soon though...