Starts to Feed Solid

snowbear

snowbear, ive bought the soft type of bib with the sleeve for my girl and tried it out today but... total failure.. cos its soft, she spent all her time playing with the bib! pulling it into her mouth and biting it.. end up when i try to feed her food she cry! faint...
haha... i think the stage will pass. Alicia used to try to eat her bib too... :)

annie

oh yah snowbear, i remember u saying alicia no need bib now cos she not messy right? but hor i suddenly remember... as she gets older n self feed... she sure need bib right? since feeding herself sure make a mess out of it. hehe.

snowbear

oh yah snowbear, i remember you saying alicia no need bib now cos she not messy right? but i suddenly remember... as she gets older and self feed... she sure need bib right? since feeding herself sure make a mess out of it. hehe.
haha.. yup. I think i'm not gonna let her self-feed so soon. I started a thread here some time back abt self-feeding n realised that most parents let their child self-feed only at about 18mths or older coz before that their coordination not very gd. I wouldn't want alicia throwing all the food i prepared painstakingly for her down onto the floor...

annie

whahaha i let my girl self feed even now.. she loves to take the spoon away from me so i let her lor. then she will bite the spoon's backside, throw the spoon on the flr like wat u said etc etc... thats y feeding her is such a mess.. if i dun let her take spoon she will cry. then she will put her hands into her mouth, if i pull out she also cry.. so i let her do wat she want lor... hai~

snowbear

whahaha i let my girl self feed even now.. she loves to take the spoon away from me so i let her . then she will bite the spoon's backside, throw the spoon on the flr like what you said etc etc... thats why feeding her is such a mess.. if i dont let her take spoon she will cry. then she will put her hands into her mouth, if i pull out she also cry.. so i let her do what she want ... hai~
alicia also could bring the spoon to the mouth sometimes but most of the time she'll fling food everywhere and bite the spoon. that's why i dont give her the spoon anymore. If you find that she keeps wanting the spoon, give her another spoon to play with and you feed with your spoon. Cannot always let children get their way... if it's not right, must tell them... Cry a bit is normal, it's all part of learning...

annie

yea my girl also bite the spoon.. i gave her another spoon to play with but then hor i realise i cant get my spoon into her mouth cos her mouth very busy with another spoon! till nw she still dosent eat much. everyday at msot 1 ice cube per meal... she seems to be eating well then after her first ice cube finish n i go refill her bowl she sure cry. hai~

i dun wanna make her meal time unpleasant for her la so once she cry i stopped everything n bring her somewhere else to play instead of sitting there on her chair...

snowbear

yea my girl also bite the spoon.. i gave her another spoon to play with but then i realise i cant get my spoon into her mouth cos her mouth very busy with another spoon! till now she still dosent eat much. everyday at msot 1 ice cube per meal... she seems to be eating well then after her first ice cube finish and i go refill her bowl she sure cry. hai~

i dont wanna make her meal time unpleasant for her so once she cry i stopped everything and bring her somewhere else to play instead of sitting there on her chair...
if she always cries after 1 icecube then dun refill anymore for the time being. Maybe she's not ready for more yet. Try again maybe a couple of weeks later.

Alicia also dun like to sit in her chair.. always try to get out of it and cry... so i sometimes carry and feed her, esp if it's finger food like bread/ egg yolk...

i wun be ard till wed... gg to sentosa to stay till wed with alicia and dh. cya on wed! :)

annie

wow envy... will alicia be able to sleep well when on holidays? cos not her house n not her bed.. some bb cannot sleep well i heard. not too sure though. enjoy yourself yea!

actually she eating 1 ice cube + 2 teaspoon of fruits/veg plus a bit of my express milk or water to thin down the puree.. so total maybe 1.5cubes ba. cos she looks enjoying her food all the way till the last mouthful ma so i thought can try give her more.. who knows she burst into tears lol. maybe i shall stick with this quantity first n increase after sometime ba..

dunno how true it is but hor.. i was a big eater before i got preggy but during preggy i got not much appetite so ate lesser than usual.. heard ppl say this means my girl not a big eater? wonder how true. at the moment it seems true since she 7.5mths old liao still eating only 1 ice cube per meal.. lol. after giving birth im back to being a big eater!

snowbear

wow envy... will alicia be able to sleep well when on holidays? cos not her house and not her bed.. some baby cannot sleep well i heard. not too sure though. enjoy yourself yea!

actually she eating 1 ice cube + 2 teaspoon of fruits/veg plus a bit of my express milk or water to thin down the puree.. so total maybe 1.5cubes . cos she looks enjoying her food all the way till the last mouthful so i thought can try give her more.. who knows she burst into tears lol. maybe i shall stick with this quantity first and increase after sometime ..

dont know how true it is but .. i was a big eater before i got preggy but during preggy i got not much appetite so ate lesser than usual.. heard ppl say this means my girl not a big eater? wonder how true. at the moment it seems true since she 7.5mths old still eating only 1 ice cube per meal.. lol. after giving birth im back to being a big eater!
back home earlier than planned. Alicia developed a runny nose, cough and phelgm so we brought her back this evening to see doc. So sad... :(

eh... i've always been a big eater... except for during my 1st trimester. If what you say is true, alicia should be a BIG eater... but she eats like a bird...

snowbear

oh poor girl.. suddenly sick there??

ooh.. so its another myth..lol
she had throat infection earlier plus high fever but she recovered from fever a few days b4 the trip. According to the doc, the throat infection still there so maybe developed from there...

annie

ahh... that time my girl high fever also doc say might be due to throat infection or stomach upset..

btw, when did u start to use veg stock for alicia's porridge?

snowbear

ahh... that time my girl high fever also doc say might be due to throat infection or stomach upset..

btw, when did you start to use veg stock for alicia's porridge?
at about 8months old. But no worries, u can start earlier coz it's just vegetables and fruit...

annie

ooh.. okok thanks! i was thinking of making meat stock cos got iron? but then was planning to start after 8mths also cos read that baby should start meat only after 8mths old...

btw, when can we start feeding bb normal porridge without having to make into a paste?

oh i think maybe my girl dosent hate pumpkin but she was teething.. maybe ok . cos that time i saw 2 white thinggy coming out and then today i saw them almost all out (as in can see clearly but of cos still have not grow out so fast lol). shall try pumpkin again maybe next week hehe. we are going on a 2 days 1 night surfing trip this fri also... hehe. hope she can sleep well in a foreign place.

btw, alicia also no hair ? my girl also.. why ? i notice breast fed baby seem to grow slower in terms of hair and developement milestone .. strange.. or is it just a coincidence?

Last edited:

nsync_su

btw, alicia also no hair ? my girl also.. why ? i notice breast fed baby seem to grow slower in terms of hair and developement milestone .. strange.. or is it just a coincidence?
It is actually quite true. Went to see a doc and he asked me do i breastfeed my baby.. i said ya but just awhile.. all the way i feed formula. The Doc said ya... formula has lots of nutrients so my baby grows fast and tall. My baby is 15months old now and she's running, climbing my bed, sofa, dining table, dancing, singing and eats adults' solid food like rice, chicken, fish, crackers, biscuits and i dont need to mashed them to smaller pieces.

snowbear

ooh.. okok thanks! i was thinking of making meat stock cos got iron? but then was planning to start after 8mths also cos read that baby should start meat only after 8mths old...
try meat stocks only after u have introduced meat coz the smell and taste of the stock is very strong if they're not accustomed to eating meat. For instance, if she's accepted pork then u can try making pork rib stock... for the first few times when trying to feed meat, add water to puree the meat instead of the water which u used to cook the meat coz the baby mt reject the strong taste.

btw, when can we start feeding baby normal porridge without having to make into a paste?
I started her on it when she was 9-10mths.

oh i think maybe my girl dosent hate pumpkin but she was teething.. maybe ok . cos that time i saw 2 white thinggy coming out and then today i saw them almost all out (as in can see clearly but of cos still have not grow out so fast lol). shall try pumpkin again maybe next week hehe. we are going on a 2 days 1 night surfing trip this fri also... hehe. hope she can sleep well in a foreign place.
yup, sometimes teething they dun like to eat semi-solids and prefer to drink milk. Alicia's two upper front teeth just cut thru on monday too. eh, when u go surfing with dh, who'll be looking aft your dd? Hope she sleeps well!!! :)

alicia got very little hair coz she's like me... i got little and fine soft hair. She's got hair actually... just that it's very fine and soft, so looks like not much. :)

i wouldn't say that bf babies are smaller though for most pp it's true. Actually a lot depends on genetics. If parents are small-sized, bb probably wun be big. My dh and i are small-sized so alicia is naturally small. My friend (who breastfeeds) and her dh are big-sized so her 3mth old bb is a whopping 8kg! Anyway, most pp say that fm more fatty than bm so bf babies are smaller.

I dun agree that bf babies are slower in terms of developmental milestones. Definitely not! :) alicia has no problem reaching milestones and is quite advanced in some aspects, esp in language acquisition skills. There was a period of time when she kept calling me "mummy" when she was 7months old. Tt's pretty difficult coz bb usually repeats syllables like 'mama' and 'papa'. She also called "daddy" at 9 months on top of all the other things that she says all day... can wave and say "bye bye"... I also know of mummies in this forum who breastfed their children and they started walking early as well. So i really dun think reaching milestones has anything to do with the milk the bb drinks. Bm is certainly better than fm and it's a blessing to be able to breastfeed! Dun ever doubt the nutritional value of bm... :D

annie

oh? cos all my frens formula fed babies seem to have more hair n reach developement milestone faster than my girl.. hmm.. maybe my girl slower ba..

we going surfing trip but only hubby surfing hee. i need to look after my girl...

i was thinking of giving her porridge without mashing them up these few days! hmm.. is that too early??

my girl's top 2 tooth came out this week! hee. she is only fast in growing tooth la. the other things all so slow... her 2 bottom teeth came out when she was 4.5mths...

i realise my girl really eats too little solid cos these few days she ate more n then today her poop is more solid! the first time.. usually her poop watery de.. imagine ive started her on solid for 1.5mths n only now her poop change consistency!

snowbear

oh? cos all my friends formula fed babies seem to have more hair and reach developement milestone faster than my girl.. hmm.. maybe my girl slower ..

we going surfing trip but only hubby surfing hee. i need to look after my girl...

i was thinking of giving her porridge without mashing them up these few days! hmm.. is that too early??

my girl's top 2 tooth came out this week! hee. she is only fast in growing tooth . the other things all so slow... her 2 bottom teeth came out when she was 4.5mths...

i realise my girl really eats too little solid cos these few days she ate more and then today her poop is more solid! the first time.. usually her poop watery .. imagine ive started her on solid for 1.5mths and only now her poop change consistency!
You can start to try giving her the unmashed porridge and see how she takes to it. Maybe just cook a little longer so that the grains are really soft.